PDA

View Full Version : Not only was the play calling atrocious down the stretch...

CadaverDawg
09-15-2013, 12:15 AM
We didn't even have decent personnel in the game. We were throwing jump balls to Joe Morrow! He is the softest WR in the country and we were expecting him to fight for the ball. Meanwhile we have a 6'5 Fr that is a beast and we throw him quick outs on the few passes we throw his way. It just makes no sense.

We ran a screen in the first half and got a big first down....never saw it again.

We ran an option in the first half and got a big first down...never saw it again.

Meanwhile Gus runs a fly route that is "almost" completed....and turns around and runs it AGAIN the VERY NEXT PLAY for a TD.

Mullen is just not very good at offensive play calling, and it was masked in Florida by better talent and Urban Myer.

Jacksondevildog
09-15-2013, 12:18 AM
I have been very impressed with Derunya Wilson this year in the limited action he has seen. He has looked like he will go up and get a ball, has good hands, and fights for yardage after reception. I am absolutely not surprised at not seeing him on the field anymore. That's M-State style. Also, why in the hell are we not throwing it to Malcolm Johnson more? Son of a bitch may be the best weapon we have and we throw to him as many times as we do Fred Brown (which is never).

Todd4State
09-15-2013, 12:31 AM
We didn't even have decent personnel in the game. We were throwing jump balls to Joe Morrow! He is the softest WR in the country and we were expecting him to fight for the ball. Meanwhile we have a 6'5 Fr that is a beast and we throw him quick outs on the few passes we throw his way. It just makes no sense.

We ran a screen in the first half and got a big first down....never saw it again.

We ran an option in the first half and got a big first down...never saw it again.

Meanwhile Gus runs a fly route that is "almost" completed....and turns around and runs it AGAIN the VERY NEXT PLAY for a TD.

Mullen is just not very good at offensive play calling, and it was masked in Florida by better talent and Urban Myer.

Tebow, Harvin, Aaron Hernandez and etc. can make a lot of people look good.

FlabLoser
09-15-2013, 01:12 AM
I think a lot of the bad play calling was bad reads on Dak's part. Hopefully that improves with experience. Way too many Dak keepers down the stretch.

We ran a lot of fake handoffs, pump fake to guy on a screen route. Problem is guy on the screen was wide as open, but instead of throwing it, Dak pump fakes and runs up the gut into a defender who was keying on him..or throws downfield to try forcing a ball in tight coverage.

I was bitching about 4th Q play calling, but I think most of it is actually on Dak's reads. Can't be too hard on Dak for that. He is a young QB.

Some blame has to go to Mullen's playcalling though. Knowing full well Auburn was keying on Dak, he should have called something that took advantage of that.

But I can be down on our D for letting Auburn drive 88 yards to win the game. Competely inexcusable.

SheltonChoked
09-15-2013, 07:21 AM
I agree. Without seeing the all22, I don't think our wr can get open vs press coverage. That was Ellis Johnson's change in the 4th. And like vs osu, we could not pass.

We needed another playmaker to step up. We got what we want with a running qb. One on one with our wr. But none of them made a play.

I seen it dawg
09-15-2013, 08:39 AM
I think a lot of the bad play calling was bad reads on Dak's part. Hopefully that improves with experience. Way too many Dak keepers down the stretch.

We ran a lot of fake handoffs, pump fake to guy on a screen route. Problem is guy on the screen was wide as open, but instead of throwing it, Dak pump fakes and runs up the gut into a defender who was keying on him..or throws downfield to try forcing a ball in tight coverage.

I was bitching about 4th Q play calling, but I think most of it is actually on Dak's reads. Can't be too hard on Dak for that. He is a young QB.

Some blame has to go to Mullen's playcalling though. Knowing full well Auburn was keying on Dak, he should have called something that took advantage of that.

But I can be down on our D for letting Auburn drive 88 yards to win the game. Competely inexcusable.

I doubt Mullen gives a lot of options to do what he wants to a QB making his first SEC start in a hostile environment. Now on zone read yes but everything else it's Mullen choice what to do.

The morning after I've calmed down and looking at it clearer...I'm even more pissed with the way Dan handled the 2nd half of this game. He single handedly cost us this game with his tight assed actions. I want him run out on a rail. Don't let him stay like we did Stains when we have realized he has hit his ceiling and we know exactly what we have with him.

chef dixon
09-15-2013, 08:49 AM
All week it was complaining about we need the running QB and to go back to the Relf offense. Well guess what? That's exactly what we did. Now.... still mad.

Political Hack
09-15-2013, 08:52 AM
funny, I thought we'd be more creative with Dak.

I seen it dawg
09-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Hell we didn't have to be creative. Just actually run more than 2 plays. When we ran a few different plays and sets, even though they were fairly simple and Daks skillset allowed it, we were very effective. Then we quit doing it.