PDA

View Full Version : 13 Month Tommy John Recovery - No 1 Draft Pick

The Federalist Engineer
06-12-2017, 10:20 PM
Gives me hope that two Tommy Johns were drafted in the 1st round....Drew Rassmussen of Oregon State recovered in 13 months.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2017/04/anticipation_builds_as_oregon.html

Todd4State
06-13-2017, 12:37 AM
As with most things medicine related and orthopedics related- things are getting better and improving. Now there's a Tommy John surgery where if you have a partial UCL tear pitcher's can return in as little as six months. Blake Smith actually falls in that category and could be back for us next year. Fans are going to start asking "how big is the tear?" when their pitchers start to go down. And I think think teams are going to be more proactive.

missouridawg
06-13-2017, 07:26 AM
Saw a video of Ethan Small throwing off a mound yesterday. His recovery seems to be ahead of schedule.

Intramural All-American
06-13-2017, 07:58 AM
Saw a video of Ethan Small throwing off a mound yesterday. His recovery seems to be ahead of schedule.

That's why people saying "oh he won't be back for 18 months" about every one of our pitchers just don't know what hey are talking about. Keegan James was also told that his recovery is the quickest they've ever seen, so I'm fully expecting him next year. I've also heard that about Smith, that he had a slightly different procedure that may allow him back next year. The only pitcher not expected is Breaux.

Todd4State
06-13-2017, 08:49 AM
18 months is the average recovery time as of now. That could change as the procedure advances but in general that's a good rule of thumb.

Intramural All-American
06-13-2017, 08:56 AM
18 months is the average recovery time as of now. That could change as the procedure advances but in general that's a good rule of thumb.

Yet again, that's just not right. It takes some 18 months, but it takes some 12. Average is 12-18. Average is not 18.