PDA

View Full Version : 2017 MLB Draft

bostondawg
06-12-2017, 04:36 PM
Tonight (June 12th) begins the MLB Draft.

Schedule:
June 12th 7PM ET - rounds 1 & 2
June 13th 1PM ET - rounds 3-10
June 14th 12PM ET - rounds 11-40

Tonight we should expect commit Quentin Holmes (Monsignor McClancy Memorial HS, East Elmhurst, NY) and Rooker have their names called. Extremely low probability Holmes ends up in Starkville.

Beyond day 1, we'll be looking for draft positions for Ryan Gridley and Jake Mangum, and also some high school commits. Full high school commit list: https://www.perfectgame.org/College/CollegeCommitments.aspx?Grad=2017&college=1669

What high school commits should we be watching closely? Hoping to see some draftees choose college, and also hoping Gridley and Mangum come back to school. With the pitching staff getting healthy this offseason, we have excellent potential for next season. Let's hope the draft is kind to us.

Hail State!

CadaverDawg
06-12-2017, 04:39 PM
Any chance Rooker slips into the 1st round? I've seen that the Giants, Mets, and Twins have interest....but #19 & #20 are high picks, and Minnesota would likely take him in Round 2.

bostondawg
06-12-2017, 04:48 PM
Mock draft on MLB.com: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/235886620/mock-draft-for-first-round-of-2017-mlb-draft/

Suggests that the Blue Jays at #22 might be in the marker for a first baseman depending on how the draft shakes out, and they throw Rooker's name in there. Still doesn't put him as the projected pick there, though. Would love to see Rooker add to the list of the 1st rounders from MSU.

Expect Holmes to straddle the 1st/2nd round border.

MarketingBully
06-12-2017, 04:53 PM
I think Holmes will be a compensatory pick which will put him between 1st and 2nd and where Austin Riley was drafted. Which means we aren't seeing him in college. I hope Rooker goes first round. I don't understand why any team would take a high school hitter over Rooker. He IMO is a sure fire pro.

bostondawg
06-12-2017, 04:55 PM
Rooker's biggest negative will be his age. His plate discipline will come into question, but he's set to be the second player ever to win the SEC triple crown. Any knock besides his age is grasping for straws. I wouldn't expect him to fall further than the Twins picks (I think they pick like 35 and 37). Expect him to go 37 at the latest, and is likely in the balance round in the first.

BoomBoom
06-12-2017, 04:55 PM
Tonight (June 12th) begins the MLB Draft.

Schedule:
June 12th 7PM ET - rounds 1 & 2
June 13th 1PM ET - rounds 3-10
June 14th 12PM ET - rounds 11-40

Tonight we should expect commit Quentin Holmes (Monsignor McClancy Memorial HS, East Elmhurst, NY) and Rooker have their names called. Extremely low probability Holmes ends up in Starkville.

Beyond day 1, we'll be looking for draft positions for Ryan Gridley and Jake Mangum, and also some high school commits. Full high school commit list: https://www.perfectgame.org/College/CollegeCommitments.aspx?Grad=2017&college=1669

What high school commits should we be watching closely? Hoping to see some draftees choose college, and also hoping Gridley and Mangum come back to school. With the pitching staff getting healthy this offseason, we have excellent potential for next season. Let's hope the draft is kind to us.

Hail State!

Braves are projected by some to take Kyle Wright from Vandy. I think that's a ploy by the Twins to keep his price down. Braves probably end up taking someone completely unprojected in the Top 15 and spend the money they save in the next few rounds on hard signs.

The Federalist Engineer
06-12-2017, 06:58 PM
I wish we could trade Gridley's remaining year of eligibility to Stanford for a quality weekend starter. Seems like a good trade, All-SEC shortstop for a PAC-12 weekend starter.

Grid gets to start his MBA at an Elite university and still play elite college ball.

bostondawg
06-12-2017, 10:47 PM
In day 1:
Rooker 35th overall to the Twins
Reynaldo Rivera 57th overall to Tigers
Quentin Holmes 64th overall to the Indians

Two high school commits go in the second round. Each year, roughly 2 players from the first two rounds choose not to sign and go to college. These two will likely choose to sign, but here's to hoping that Cann can start a culture of pushing high draft picks towards college.

ZedFedder
06-12-2017, 11:03 PM
Reynaldo Rivera is a JUCO.