PDA

View Full Version : One thing is for certain. There is no longer any middle ground

starkvegasdawg
06-12-2017, 02:51 PM
The strategy now being employeed by shitbird U will either go down as the greatest defense of all time and borderline get them off or it will bury them worse than anything the NCAA had even been considering up to this point. Either self imposed accepted or they're seeing how close they can get to being kicked out of the sec and possibly NCAA. There is no way this is sitting well in Birmingham and Indy. I imagine the sentence, "Just who the hell do those mother17ers think they are?" has been screamed multiple times at both places this morning.

I for one think it will result in the latter. I think they just signed their own death warrant. But there will be no middle of the ground sanctions. That much I am certain of.

thf24
06-12-2017, 02:57 PM
The NCAA cannot back down from this or it'll be the beginning of the end for them. If they do anything less than cripple OM for a decade, they'll be sending a clear message that you can cheat as much as you want if you lawyer up. It wouldn't take long for the P5 to break away after that. Their only option is to bury OM; I don't see any other possible outcome.

Bubb Rubb
06-12-2017, 03:12 PM
I think it's important to draw a distinction here....

This lawsuit is between Rebel Rags and the named defendants.

I suspect that Ole Miss (the institution) is none to happy about this and wants it to go away.

starkvegasdawg
06-12-2017, 03:32 PM

I suspect that Ole Miss (the institution) is none to happy about this and wants it to go away.

If you think this was done without the blessing of TSUN I need to talk to you about a bridge I have for sale.

BuckyIsAB****
06-12-2017, 03:44 PM
The strategy now being employeed by shitbird U will either go down as the greatest defense of all time and borderline get them off or it will bury them worse than anything the NCAA had even been considering up to this point. Either self imposed accepted or they're seeing how close they can get to being kicked out of the sec and possibly NCAA. There is no way this is sitting well in Birmingham and Indy. I imagine the sentence, "Just who the hell do those mother17ers think they are?" has been screamed multiple times at both places this morning.

I for one think it will result in the latter. I think they just signed their own death warrant. But there will be no middle of the ground sanctions. That much I am certain of.

I disagree. I think there is still plenty of middle ground and they most definitely are not getting off of anything. Like its been said, if the NCAA backs down on any of this they can kiss their ass good bye. I would be surprised if anything comes from the suit and if it does, get ready for a long ugly process bc some lawyer will talk Leo, Kobe, whoever the hell else into counter suits of Rebel Rags. Which I think they would have a 10x better case than RR does because releasing their names to the public is a clear violation of FERPA

32 Dive
06-12-2017, 03:59 PM
If you think this was done without the blessing of TSUN I need to talk to you about a bridge I have for sale.

RR legal sword rattling is deflection, by proxy.

Bubb Rubb
06-12-2017, 04:01 PM

I don't. I don't think Ole Miss wants any part of this. But that's just me.

Maybe some folks at Ole Miss, like Hugh Freeze, et al. But nothing good can come out of this when they start deposing people.

blacklistedbully
06-12-2017, 04:13 PM
I disagree. I think there is still plenty of middle ground and they most definitely are not getting off of anything. Like its been said, if the NCAA backs down on any of this they can kiss their ass good bye. I would be surprised if anything comes from the suit and if it does, get ready for a long ugly process bc some lawyer will talk Leo, Kobe, whoever the hell else into counter suits of Rebel Rags. Which I think they would have a 10x better case than RR does because releasing their names to the public is a clear violation of FERPA

I don't think RR is bound by FERPA. I think you'd have to prove collusion with UNM to get anywhere with that, and that isn't likely to happen unless it goes to court and you compel someone to admit it.

BuckyIsAB****
06-12-2017, 04:25 PM
I don't think RR is bound by FERPA. I think you'd have to prove collusion with UNM to get anywhere with that, and that isn't likely to happen unless it goes to court and you compel someone to admit it.

Whats the point of redacting all the names if you're just gonna have some dumbass booster/store owner get pissed off he got caught realize that once he gets disassociated his livelihood goes down the shitter and sue 18/19 year old kids that didnt go to his favorite school to play football??

blacklistedbully
06-12-2017, 05:11 PM
Whats the point of redacting all the names if you're just gonna have some dumbass booster/store owner get pissed off he got caught realize that once he gets disassociated his livelihood goes down the shitter and sue 18/19 year old kids that didnt go to his favorite school to play football??

Because FERPA protects students from having their educational records disclosed by schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education. FERPA does offer significant protection, but none from a business or entity that does not receive the aforementioned funding.

RR is a private business, therefore not subject to FERPA...at least IMO. But as I said before, if RR colluded with UNM to do this in order to "out" Leo, then you could be talking big trouble, especially for UNM. But you'd have to be able to prove it.

PassInterference
06-12-2017, 05:13 PM

No way.

The Network put this together and that includes OM.

OMs response belabors the opportunity to cross examine Leo and Kobe. That is what they are aiming for with this suit.

Liverpooldawg
06-12-2017, 05:29 PM

Where else would they have got the names?

Liverpooldawg
06-12-2017, 05:30 PM
No way.

The Network put this together and that includes OM.

OMs response belabors the opportunity to cross examine Leo and Kobe. That is what they are aiming for with this suit.

Winner. I think it's yet ANOTHER attempt by UM to evade NCAA rules. I don't think NCAA rules allow cross examination of student athletes. It's just another up yours from Ole Miss to the NCAA.

msstatelp1
06-12-2017, 05:43 PM
Where else would they have got the names?

Everyone mentioned in the NOA gets an unredacted copy so RR would have the names. It's bullshit that he gets to use them in this way.

Pollodawg
06-12-2017, 05:46 PM
This entire lawsuit is a last ditch effort to undermine Lewis's credibility. That's all. Waste. Of. time. If Ole Miss proves that Leo is lying (he likely isn't) and the NCAA doesn't toss his testimony, they will file suit against the NCAA. It'll net them nothing, but they'll try.

Liverpooldawg
06-12-2017, 09:01 PM
Everyone mentioned in the NOA gets an unredacted copy so RR would have the names. It's bullshit that he gets to use them in this way.

I'm not sure that they get student names.

Reason2succeed
06-12-2017, 09:30 PM
This rivalry is more TOXIC than its ever been before. Finally I'm starting to agree with him but the toxicity is coming from Lafayette county.

msstatelp1
06-12-2017, 09:36 PM
I'm not sure that they get student names.

Honestly I'm not 100% sure, just going off what I've been told on other sites.

Mimi's Babies
06-12-2017, 10:00 PM

Since, the NOA on page 10 footnote 12 and 13 give suggestion that they are Boosters to OM... Does that not make them fall under the same laws?

Mimi's Babies
06-12-2017, 10:03 PM
Because FERPA protects students from having their educational records disclosed by schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education. FERPA does offer significant protection, but none from a business or entity that does not receive the aforementioned funding.

RR is a private business, therefore not subject to FERPA...at least IMO. But as I said before, if RR colluded with UNM to do this in order to "out" Leo, then you could be talking big trouble, especially for UNM. But you'd have to be able to prove it.

When the NCAA posts the names -- the SA's name will not be published. They do fall under the the Ferpa law... Now as to how rr will come out of this... I would hope the feds come a looking....

The Federalist Engineer
06-12-2017, 10:15 PM
The SEC and NCAA need to drop the Kenesaw Mountain Landis ruling on Ole Miss...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenesaw_Mountain_Landis#/media/File:Landis_portrait-restored.png

"Regardless of the verdict of juries, no [college] that [mocks the rules]; no [player] that undertakes or promises to [mock the rules]; no [coach] that sits in a conference with a bunch of crooked players and gamblers where the ways and means of [mocking the rules] are planned and discussed and does not promptly tell [the NCAA] about it, will ever play [in the SEC again or Ever]. Of course, I don't know that any of these [coaches] will apply for reinstatement, but if they do, the above are at least a few of the rules that will be enforced. Just keep in mind that, regardless of the verdict of juries, [college football] is competent to protect itself against crooks, both inside and outside the game

blacklistedbully
06-12-2017, 10:19 PM
When the NCAA posts the names -- the SA's name will not be published. They do fall under the the Ferpa law... Now as to how rr will come out of this... I would hope the feds come a looking....

FERPA does not apply to a private business...period. It only applies to educational institutions, and only those that accept funding from the DOE.

confucius say
06-12-2017, 10:25 PM
FERPA does not apply to a private business...period. It only applies to educational institutions, and only those that accept funding from the DOE.

Nobody is arguing they do. Any counter claim would be against OM for leaking the names to RR, if RR's copy of the NOA didn't identify athletes names.

blacklistedbully
06-12-2017, 10:31 PM
Nobody is arguing they do. Any counter claim would be against OM for leaking the names to RR, if RR's copy of the NOA didn't identify athletes names.

"Since, the NOA on page 10 footnote 12 and 13 give suggestion that they are Boosters to OM... Does that not make them fall under the same laws?" - Mimi

She's asking if the fact that RR is listed as a booster of UNM, does that make them subject to FERPA. I don't see how it can. A booster is not an employee of the university.

But as I said before, if it can be proven RR colluded with UNM to bypass FERPA, then I have to believe UNM would be in BIG trouble.

msbulldog
06-13-2017, 06:24 AM
RR's lawyer Welper (sp?) is a huge Mississippi booster, so huge his name is on the baseball IPF. I am sure he is handling this case Pro Bono. If you don't think he's part of the network you are naive and this lawsuit is to try and unravel some of the most damning allegations. He is planning on deposing Leo & Kobe on July 19th, I just hope we got these boys a helluva lawyer and they lawyer up. Because his questions in the deposition will go far beyond T-shirts with Ole Miss on them.

lamont
06-13-2017, 06:27 AM
RR's lawyer Welper (sp?) is a huge Mississippi booster, so huge his name is on the baseball IPF. I am sure he is handling this case Pro Bono. If you don't think he's part of the network you are naive and this lawsuit is to try and unravel some of the most damning allegations. He is planning on deposing Leo & Kobe on July 19th, I just hope we got these boys a helluva lawyer and they lawyer up. Because his questions in the deposition will go far beyond T-shirts with Ole Miss on them.

No way depositions start on July 19th

msbulldog
06-13-2017, 06:49 AM

Hope they get blocked RP, that's just Welpers plan.

Reason2succeed
06-13-2017, 07:02 AM
The SEC and NCAA need to drop the Kenesaw Mountain Landis ruling on Ole Miss...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenesaw_Mountain_Landis#/media/File:Landis_portrait-restored.png

"Regardless of the verdict of juries, no [college] that [mocks the rules]; no [player] that undertakes or promises to [mock the rules]; no [coach] that sits in a conference with a bunch of crooked players and gamblers where the ways and means of [mocking the rules] are planned and discussed and does not promptly tell [the NCAA] about it, will ever play [in the SEC again or Ever]. Of course, I don't know that any of these [coaches] will apply for reinstatement, but if they do, the above are at least a few of the rules that will be enforced. Just keep in mind that, regardless of the verdict of juries, [college football] is competent to protect itself against crooks, both inside and outside the game

Great find. That sounds like it would be addressed to OM.

Mimi's Babies
06-13-2017, 07:12 AM

I totally agree.......I know of one case that took a judge ordering the depositions to start after 5 years.. Depositions just don't start... Whomever thinks this just happens is nuts. All parties have to clear their schedules and with all those involved with this mess that could take years....

Mimi's Babies
06-13-2017, 07:20 AM

????? Is there a "loophole" since this mess has to do with a booster of a named university. I would have thought that the booster could possibly take the same position as a "university contractor". Since the Booster is named as a "representative of the institutions athletics interest". (page 10 footnotes)

When the NOA with booster's names are finally published the students names will NOT be published.

Check your pms

FISHDAWG
06-13-2017, 07:52 AM
This rivalry is more TOXIC than its ever been before. Finally I'm starting to agree with him but the toxicity is coming from Lafayette county.

most snakes will run or try to evade until cornered ... that is when they strike

dawg93
06-13-2017, 08:20 AM
For the lawyers on the board, can't Leo and Kobe just invoke their 5th amendment privilege? Does that apply to a deposition?

Also, anyone got a contact at the IRS? Surely RR might need a tax return or two audited.

Bubb Rubb
06-13-2017, 08:23 AM
"Since, the NOA on page 10 footnote 12 and 13 give suggestion that they are Boosters to OM... Does that not make them fall under the same laws?" - Mimi

She's asking if the fact that RR is listed as a booster of UNM, does that make them subject to FERPA. I don't see how it can. A booster is not an employee of the university.

But as I said before, if it can be proven RR colluded with UNM to bypass FERPA, then I have to believe UNM would be in BIG trouble.

A booster is, however, a representative of the university's interests.

I agree with you in general, but an argument can be made on it.

1bigdawg
06-13-2017, 08:33 AM
For the lawyers on the board, can't Leo and Kobe just invoke their 5th amendment privilege? Does that apply to a deposition?

Also, anyone got a contact at the IRS? Surely RR might need a tax return or two audited.

There is no fifth amendment protection in civil cases. This is not about a violation of law.

To another poster: The booster is not in violation of FERPA, but someone at the university is. In a deposition, the booster could be compelled to tell where he got the names of rh SAs. Note that only the University gets an NOA with SA names. Third parties copies redact the SA names.

Mimi's Babies
06-13-2017, 09:00 AM

State Sales Tax Commission and State Department of Revenue.... State Auditor is a OM fan..... so is the AG...

Mimi's Babies
06-13-2017, 09:01 AM
There is no fifth amendment protection in civil cases. This is not about a violation of law.

To another poster: The booster is not in violation of FERPA, but someone at the university is. In a deposition, the booster could be compelled to tell where he got the names of rh SAs. Note that only the University gets an NOA with SA names. Third parties copies redact the SA names.

Thanks for the clarification....

starkvegasdawg
06-13-2017, 09:17 AM

So if this goes forward then RR is not screwed but TSUN is since someone there leaked Leo's and Kobe's name to them? Would that be a fair statement?

Bubb Rubb
06-13-2017, 09:20 AM
So if this goes forward then RR is not screwed but TSUN is since someone there leaked Leo's and Kobe's name to them? Would that be a fair statement?

This is at the heart of why I believed Ole Miss doesn't want this to go down.

But, I'm sure RR's attorney believes that they are OK on the FERPA front.

blacklistedbully
06-13-2017, 11:29 AM

Leo's lawyer would have to prove it. I wonder if an attorney could argue UNM violated FERPA ipso facto as a result of this RR lawsuit naming the students.

Any barristers here wanna take a shot at that?

Dawgbite
06-13-2017, 12:00 PM
RR didn't need anyone from OM to tell him the names nor did he need an inredacted NOA. All he had to was compare his list of players he gave stuff to and subtract all those that eventually signed with OM. Pretty simple really. ****