PDA

View Full Version : WMD's thoughts on the Rebel Rags lawsuit

War Machine Dawg
06-12-2017, 12:01 PM
I'm sure most of this has already been discussed in other threads, but I wanted to chime in with my own 2 cents.

The Bears have given the NCAA subpoena power. I can't imagine the university is happy about this suit. There's no way they want anyone testifying under oath. I'd be shocked if the university doesn't have this shut down before any form of binding testimony takes place. If not, Hello Death Penalty.

I can't imagine the NCAA is happy with them IDing Leo in their response. And I'd imagine they're even less happy that UNM is suing him AND IDing another student athlete by suing him. And they should have foreseen one of their crazies would go after Lewis with the way they've vilified him and made it seem like he's the only person talking to the NCAA. This is a major FERPA violation.

And it completely ignores the fact that Northern Miss HELPED THE NCAA PARTICIPATE IN A STING against Rebel Rags. It isn't defamation if it's true. Truth is a complete defense. That's Torts 101.

Bottom line, this just makes things worse for Northern Miss. They've committed more violations and managed to piss off the NCAA even more. They'll either kill the suit or open themselves to much worse when testimony takes place.

We all knew they were desperate, but now we're seeing just how bat shit crazy they really are.

Just my thoughts. Feel free to chime in with your own.

KentuckyDawg13
06-12-2017, 12:08 PM
+1

Pollodawg
06-12-2017, 12:14 PM
Thought the sting operation was a myth.

Lumpy Chucklelips
06-12-2017, 12:17 PM
"Expect Rebel Rags to gradually expand the lawsuit to include other persons as defendants, according to Merkel. As more facts surface, Rebel Rags will likely expand the lawsuit to include those who may have negotiated with the NCAA for immunity from punishment."

My contention is why can't Leo, Kobe, and if they name others, sue the hell out of rebel rags and anyone else that has uttered their name in public for defamation of character? Their names were redacted in the noa. None of their names have been made public officially. It would be no different if all of a sudden they put your name out there and you didn't have a thing to do with the case. Seems to me Leo and Kobe have a better case than rebel rags.

War Machine Dawg
06-12-2017, 12:17 PM

Who knows? But worth mentioning in the event it is true.

War Machine Dawg
06-12-2017, 12:21 PM
"Expect Rebel Rags to gradually expand the lawsuit to include other persons as defendants, according to Merkel. As more facts surface, Rebel Rags will likely expand the lawsuit to include those who may have negotiated with the NCAA for immunity from punishment."

My contention is why can't Leo, Kobe, and if they name others, sue the hell out of rebel rags and anyone else that has uttered their name in public for defamation of character? Their names were redacted in the noa. None of their names have been made public officially. It would be no different if all of a sudden they put your name out there and you didn't have a thing to do with the case. Seems to me Leo and Kobe have a better case than rebel rags.

They do indeed. This suit is a major FERPA violation. Anything said by Leo and Kobe was said privately, not publicly. And federal law protects their identities. This case is happening solely due to the way UNM has spun the investigation to their fan base as being all Leo and lies. The RR bunch bought every bit of it and is acting accordingly.

QuadrupleOption
06-12-2017, 12:37 PM
This OM investigation has me all like:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B48jiiDCAAAA_ui.jpg

Tbonewannabe
06-12-2017, 12:41 PM

Maybe they are waiting on them to release more names and get a class action going. Save on lawyers fees.

Liverpooldawg
06-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't FERPA carry criminal penalties for violators?

WinningIsRelentless
06-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't FERPA carry criminal penalties for violators?

Yep and the loss of federal funds

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-12-2017, 02:07 PM
I wonder what Jimmy Sexton thinks about all this.

War Machine Dawg
06-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Yep and the loss of federal funds

+1 FERPA is no joke.

AlSwearengen
06-12-2017, 02:12 PM
"One of their crazies". Someone needs to set up camp in oxford and start collecting material for a movie. There is no denying that olemiss has an impressive collection of eccentric personalities and this NCAA stuff is driving them to strange behavior.

Power hungry lawyers, 60ish yr. old housewives that love the "old south" ways of olemiss, drug addled sports reporters, etc.etc. All of whom want nothing more than to help their beloved university excel at football.

Bubb Rubb
06-12-2017, 02:19 PM

It was true. Chuck and Yancy were up in arms over it because the NCAA and Ole Miss co-conspired on it.

I actually have to give the Ole Miss administration credit for allowing it to happen. Although, if you believe what you hear in Oxford, the owner of Rebel Rags is an extreme wannabe who is not well-liked by the school or other boosters.

Pollodawg
06-12-2017, 02:22 PM
It was true. Chuck and Yancy were up in arms over it because the NCAA and Ole Miss co-conspired on it.

I actually have to give the Ole Miss administration credit for allowing it to happen. Although, if you believe what you hear in Oxford, the owner of Rebel Rags is an extreme wannabe who is not well-liked by the school or other boosters.

I hope the sting was legit and busted folks.