PDA

View Full Version : Pete Thamel Article on Law suit

ShotgunDawg
06-12-2017, 08:28 AM
They gone nuclear.

Objectively, this entire situation ends one of two ways: Ole Miss being a wasteland of a football program or the NCAA being cast into irrelevancey.

Basically, OM's overall action are to call the bluff on the NCAA in every way.

The last article says that more law suits will be filed. This gone get ugly.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/06/12/ole-miss-football-rebel-rags-lawsuit-laremy-tunsil-ncaa

Jack Lambert
06-12-2017, 08:36 AM
With Rags suing these folks does that mean the sting operation did not take place? If it did that alone will win the case for Leo. Proof that the store has done it before.

BuckyIsAB****
06-12-2017, 09:06 AM
They gone nuclear.

Objectively, this entire situation ends one of two ways: Ole Miss being a wasteland of a football program or the NCAA being cast into irrelevancey.

Basically, OM's overall action are to call the bluff on the NCAA in every way.

The last article says that more law suits will be filed. This gone get ugly.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/06/12/ole-miss-football-rebel-rags-lawsuit-laremy-tunsil-ncaa

If you think the governing body of a multi billion dollar sports association is going to allow itself to be ''cast into irrelevancy'' over how much money OM paid 2 kids out of 41 athletes referenced in the NOA you are crazy. This is a joke and is nothing but a last ditch effort by OM to win the PR front

ShotgunDawg
06-12-2017, 09:12 AM
If you think the governing body of a multi billion dollar sports association is going to allow itself to be ''cast into irrelevancy'' over how much money OM paid 2 kids out of 41 athletes referenced in the NOA you are crazy. This is a joke and is nothing but a last ditch effort by OM to win the PR front

Completely agree.

TrapGame
06-12-2017, 09:12 AM
They are just begging for the death penalty. Actually, I think they're playing chicken with the NCAA, but they're in a Yugo and the NCAA is in a Mad Max style semi.

starkvegasdawg
06-12-2017, 09:18 AM
I haven't gone to look but I assume nafoom is in full circle jerk mode over this lawsuit being too stupid to realize what this could ultimately mean for their school.

BuckyIsAB****
06-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Completely agree.

To me its just more proof than OM is being run by the 50-60 year old boosters not the actual administration. Their grandaddys told them bedtime stories about johnny vaught and archie so they are going to relive it by any means. They're still dreaming about the fake nattys and number 1 rankings they never got, without realizing Archie threw more INTs than TDs and that they are the worst athletic program in the SEC

Doggie_Style
06-12-2017, 09:27 AM
With Rags suing these folks does that mean the sting operation did not take place? If it did that alone will win the case for Leo. Proof that the store has done it before.

This is a desperation move by Rebel Rags, their business is at serious risk here and they are grasping at straws. They are likely finished.

Spiderman
06-12-2017, 09:34 AM

There was no sting. OM is denying all allegations to Rebel Rags, and has not disassociated the store or the owner.

TrapGame
06-12-2017, 09:42 AM
There was no sting. OM is denying all allegations to Rebel Rags, and has not disassociated the store or the owner.

I thought there was a joint sting between the NCAA and om? Was that a lie?

Spiderman
06-12-2017, 09:43 AM
I thought there was a joint sting between the NCAA and om? Was that a lie?

Yes, rumor off an OM message board

Lumpy Chucklelips
06-12-2017, 10:18 AM
"Expect Rebel Rags to gradually expand the lawsuit to include other persons as defendants, according to Merkel. As more facts surface, Rebel Rags will likely expand the lawsuit to include those who may have negotiated with the NCAA for immunity from punishment."

So, they're going to add the names of all of the players given immunity in the ncaa's case. Nice. That will appease the NCAA. Those idiots are just burying themselves deeper by the day.

Mimi's Babies
06-12-2017, 10:23 AM
"Expect Rebel Rags to gradually expand the lawsuit to include other persons as defendants, according to Merkel. As more facts surface, Rebel Rags will likely expand the lawsuit to include those who may have negotiated with the NCAA for immunity from punishment."

So, they're going to add the names of all of the players given immunity in the ncaa's case. Nice. That will appease the NCAA. Those idiots are just burying themselves deeper by the day.

All of the names of the SA (S) may become known before the June 27, 2017 hearings.... with the MS Ethic's commission.

HSVDawg
06-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Exemplary cooperation

gtowndawg
06-12-2017, 10:28 AM
So does Leo and Kobe have to pay for defense out of their own pocket? If so, that could be the fall back plan for Ole Miss. Run up legal bills for the families and people will be to scared to talk in the future, immunity or not.

codeDawg
06-12-2017, 10:29 AM
I don't think this ends the way they think it will....

starkvegasdawg
06-12-2017, 10:45 AM
I haven't gone to look but I assume nafoom is in full circle jerk mode over this lawsuit being too stupid to realize what this could ultimately mean for their school.

Yep. I was right. They're all over there typing one handed.

DancingRabbit
06-12-2017, 10:47 AM
Good grief, they're going to get kicked out of the sandbox.

http://m.memegen.com/ahumrv.jpg

msbulldog
06-12-2017, 11:03 AM
All of the names of the SA (S) may become known before the June 27, 2017 hearings.... with the MS Ethic's commission.

No Mimi, the Ethics Commission will not reveal the names of student athletes, that's against the law.

msbulldog
06-12-2017, 11:05 AM
So does Leo and Kobe have to pay for defense out of their own pocket? If so, that could be the fall back plan for Ole Miss. Run up legal bills for the families and people will be to scared to talk in the future, immunity or not.

No athletic dept will cover cost, like they cover doctors cost when a player is injured.

Pinto
06-12-2017, 11:25 AM
No Mimi, the Ethics Commission will not reveal the names of student athletes, that's against the law.

That's the thing. Rebel Rags just admitted this came from the NOA and those names are protected by FERPA. They just screwed Ole Miss with the federal dept of education.

blacklistedbully
06-12-2017, 11:26 AM
Doesn't this mean Leo's, Kobe's and Miller's attorneys will now be able to subpoena and depose Farrar, Kiffin, Freeze, Bjork, Vitter, etc, etc? Does this not now allow the disassociated boosters to be also? Does it potentially open up other boosters who have not yet been disassociated?

Does this not open up Pandora's Box for UNM, now exposing these folks to criminal charges, rather than just NCAA penalties if they lie under oath?

DancingRabbit
06-12-2017, 11:29 AM
Doesn't this mean Leo's, Kobe's and Miller's attorneys will now be able to subpoena and depose Farrar, Kiffin, Freeze, Bjork, Vitter, etc, etc? Does this not now allow the disassociated booster to be also? DOes this not open up Pandora's Box for UNM, now exposing these folks to criminal charges if they lie under oath, rather than just NCAA punishments?

I think it's just posturing with no intention of it getting to the deposition stage. They'll withdraw it like John Doe.

TrapGame
06-12-2017, 11:42 AM
Does this not open up Pandora's Box for UNM, now exposing these folks to criminal charges, rather than just NCA penalties if they lie under oath?

I'd have to say, yeah.

Lumpy Chucklelips
06-12-2017, 11:42 AM

If anything, rebel rags will expose the names by adding them to the lawsuit. I still contend that Leo and Kobe have grounds to counter sue since their names haven't been made public, nor were they ever intended to be made public (thus the redaction in the noa). Rebel rags and all others that have uttered their names in public should be sued in my opinion.

archdog
06-12-2017, 11:44 AM
I think it's just posturing with no intention of it getting to the deposition stage. They'll withdraw it like John Doe.

So all Leo Lewis would have to do is deny that he is SA#39? That sounds easy. Plead the 5th on all questions, except denying and asking them to prove he is #39. How can anyone prove that he is #39? NCAA cannot release his name. The schools cannot release his name. Seems like the easiest lawsuit to break up I have ever heard.

blacklistedbully
06-12-2017, 12:01 PM

But by filing, they have opened the door for a counter-suit. One that they cannot withdraw themselves. Any counter lawsuit could make UNM and their boosters vulnerable.

blacklistedbully
06-12-2017, 12:03 PM
So all Leo Lewis would have to do is deny that he is SA#39? That sounds easy. Plead the 5th on all questions, except denying and asking them to prove he is #39. How can anyone prove that he is #39? NCAA cannot release his name. The schools cannot release his name. Seems like the easiest lawsuit to break up I have ever heard.

I wouldn't think lying under oath would ever be a good strategy. Besides, why lie when telling the truth works?

Westdawg
06-12-2017, 12:06 PM
The very moment that this enters a courtroom, the defense attorney only had to make it known that the very fact that the plaintiff was given the (redacted) names of student athletes, this becomes a FEDERAL case....actually, the fact they have been named in this lawsuit now opens this case to the federal courts.
Ole Miss has just officially pooped in the pool with no one nearby to blame it on.
This is arguably the dumbest decision to have come to, but like some on the MBs have mentioned the past couple years, OM wants to take down the system instead of playing within it. And they honestly think that other schools will go along and follow their lead.

DancingRabbit
06-12-2017, 12:17 PM
But by filing, they have opened the door for a counter-lawsuit. One that they cannot withdraw themselves. Any counter lawsuit could make UNM and their boosters vulnerable.

Well shit, I guess they're just dumber than a rock. Surely Vitter is not on board with this.

The suit appears to many as a not so veiled form of witness intimidation. If they broke federal law in the process ...

Perpetual Underachiever
06-12-2017, 12:22 PM

With the suit stemming from an NCAA investigation, and them being student athletes at a NCAA member institution, I feel like the University should be allowed to provide counsel for Leo and Kobe. Think about all the parties that would want to protect these student athletes from this kind of BS...NCAA, SEC, MSU, Fed's because of FERPA, hell throw in the ACLU and some other abbreviations as well. This simply adds to NCAA's case, and further shows the culture of cheating and corruption in Oxford.

blacklistedbully
06-12-2017, 04:03 PM
The very moment that this enters a courtroom, the defense attorney only had to make it known that the very fact that the plaintiff was given the (redacted) names of student athletes, this becomes a FEDERAL case....actually, the fact they have been named in this lawsuit now opens this case to the federal courts.
Ole Miss has just officially pooped in the pool with no one nearby to blame it on.
This is arguably the dumbest decision to have come to, but like some on the MBs have mentioned the past couple years, OM wants to take down the system instead of playing within it. And they honestly think that other schools will go along and follow their lead.

Wish this were true, but RR was listed in the NOA, so they would they not have received a copy of the NOA without redaction, or does the NCAA redact names on the version provided?

Jack Lambert
06-12-2017, 04:12 PM
But by filing, they have opened the door for a counter-suit. One that they cannot withdraw themselves. Any counter lawsuit could make UNM and their boosters vulnerable.

Also Lawyers can't harass you. When they sign onto those cases it has to be a reasonable chance of winning. They can't bring suit in court other wise. This is to keep rich people from ****ing with poor people.

rbdog82
06-12-2017, 04:23 PM
I'd have to say, yeah.

Well played, sir.