PDA

View Full Version : Just got better players than us

lamont
06-10-2017, 11:28 PM
We played as well as we could. With what we got left- helluva an effort. They are a team that should be Final Four.

Proud of our effort

msstate7
06-10-2017, 11:31 PM
Theyll continue to have better players

justwin
06-10-2017, 11:32 PM
Riley should've started 8th. That loss is on yoda

MarketingBully
We would have won the game tonight had Self got a clean inning. With the momentum we gave them when we put Self in, Nolan Ryan would have been hammered.

ShotgunDawg
They've got more good players that we do.

Our best players are as good as their best ones, but we've got "won't get drafted" type guys at the bottom of our lineup & in the back end of our bullpen while they've "will get drafted guy"

We are just as good at the top, but they've got far more depth this season.

I'm looking forward to us having some competition in the bullpen next year, because, by what I've witness vs LSU tonight & vs Florida in the tournament, we've got some kids pitching high leverage innings that just aren't very talented.

JoseBrown
How does a 6'6" pitcher throwing 97 mph go to college? Wish we could find a couple of those.

ShotgunDawg
06-10-2017, 11:33 PM

I think we are about to make a strong move vs them in the talent department.

Canny is a better evaluator than what they have & he'll have a new stadium to sell.

ShotgunDawg
06-10-2017, 11:34 PM
How does a 6'6" pitcher throwing 97 mph go to college? Wish we could find a couple of those.

Because he's a max effort reliever.

A high school reliever isn't worth about the amount of money you find in your couch in the draft. It's why it was so shocking that the Baltimore Orioles gave Gray Fenter a million dollars in the draft.

msstate7
06-10-2017, 11:35 PM
I think we are about to make a strong move vs them in the talent department.

Canny is a better evaluator than what they have & he'll have a new stadium to sell.
Maybe. Louisiana has much more talent though and they're still lsu

JoseBrown
06-10-2017, 11:37 PM
Because he's a max effort reliever.

A high school reliever isn't worth about the amount of money you find in your couch in the draft. It's why it was so shocking that the Baltimore Orioles gave Gray Fenter a million dollars in the draft.

A97 mph pitcher that tall, and can throw strikes? He's worth a lot to the pros. When was he drafted?

ShotgunDawg
06-10-2017, 11:38 PM
Maybe. Louisiana has much more talent though and they're still lsu

They do, but that doesn't matter as much in college baseball as it does in football.

MSU can recruit nationally, as can LSU

Louisiana having more talent than MS really only helps LSU get more depth like the Jordan brothers, Watson, a few others, but Lange, Robertson, Walker, & a few others are out of state guys. Deichmann & Poche are in-state guys but so is Pilkington & Mangum

ShotgunDawg
06-10-2017, 11:40 PM
A97 mph pitcher that tall, and can throw strikes? He's worth a lot to the pros. When was he drafted?

He's really not because pro teams only have so much money to spend in the top 10 rounds & I'm sure the kid wanted a million dollars to go pro. Giving a high school reliever 1 million dollars is asanine. Over 70% of Major League relievers come from failed starters. You draft starting pitching & let them filter to the bullpen when they fail.

confucius say
06-10-2017, 11:41 PM
We played as well as we could. With what we got left- helluva an effort. They are a team that should be Final Four.

Proud of our effort

Exactly. It's that simple.

lamont
06-10-2017, 11:42 PM

No- they hit Self hard too. Self is a 1 pitch pitcher. Got to have more than just a cutter. Good teams have had no problems with Self.

Plumlee has outpitched Self the 2nd half of the season. LSU is just better than us with what we have post injury

ShotgunDawg
06-10-2017, 11:44 PM
No- they hit Self hard too. Self is a 1 pitch pitcher. Got to have more than just a cutter. Good teams have had no problems with Self.

Plumlee has outpitched Self the 2nd half of the season. LSU is just better than us with what we have post injury

This. We have no option at the back of the bullpen. It's that simple

Riley Self will have a nice career at MSU, but he's not a pro baseball player. At least not in current form.

justwin
06-10-2017, 11:54 PM

Nope. Riley gets 2 out of 3 out their first three hitters if not all 3 before deichman. That one pitch is good enough to get those 3 to ground out

Todd4State
06-10-2017, 11:56 PM
They've got more good players that we do.

Our best players are as good as their best ones, but we've got "won't get drafted" type guys at the bottom of our lineup & in the back end of our bullpen while they've "will get drafted guy"

We are just as good at the top, but they've got far more depth this season.

I'm looking forward to us having some competition in the bullpen next year, because, by what I've witness vs LSU tonight & vs Florida in the tournament, we've got some kids pitching high leverage innings that just aren't very talented.

Absolutely agree. And I think LSU is going to lose a LOT of talent off of this team. That plus our guys getting healthy will help level the playing field pretty quickly. Unless LSU has a lot of freshmen or newcomers that can have an impact right away. I haven't really watched Florida a lot this year to have an opinion on what they might be like next year.

And I think Cann will get more of those "will be drafted guys" that you are talking about. It's more of an identification in recruiting problem more than anything which I think is what you are alluding to.

justwin
06-10-2017, 11:56 PM

Riley Self will have a nice career at MSU, but he's not a pro baseball player. At least not in current form.

Yes we do. Price or Relf should always pitch 8th until end of game. You're making excuses

Todd4State
06-10-2017, 11:59 PM
They do, but that doesn't matter as much in college baseball as it does in football.

MSU can recruit nationally, as can LSU

Louisiana having more talent than MS really only helps LSU get more depth like the Jordan brothers, Watson, a few others, but Lange, Robertson, Walker, & a few others are out of state guys. Deichmann & Poche are in-state guys but so is Pilkington & Mangum

You are exactly right. We actually have a lot in common with LSU in terms of how we should build our teams. We just have to go out of state a little bit more- being close to Memphis and having a lot more roots in Alabama may offset their advantage in Louisiana somewhat although that would be considered our of state.

lamont
06-11-2017, 12:01 AM
Nope. Riley gets 2 out of 3 out their first three hitters if not all 3 before deichman. That one pitch is good enough to get those 3 to ground out

Thats your opinion- not fact. Facts say LSU has roughed up Self

Coming into tonight- Plumlee had gone 4 IP's vs LSU with 2 ER's...Self had pitched 2 IP's vs LSU with 4 ER's. Self came in tonight and faced 5 batters- giving up 2 hits and a walk. LSU has owned Self

MarketingBully
06-11-2017, 12:03 AM
Yes we do. Price or Relf should always pitch 8th until end of game. You're making excuses

When you are a pitcher that doesn't walk many batters and pitches to contact (many ground balls with his cutter) why would you not start him off with a clean inning? I wouldn't be mad at all if Self would have started the eighth and it was still the same result. Shit, Robertson and Freeman weren't hitting the ball well tonight. If he gets those two outs and has Duplantis up with two outs, he probably starts the ninth out with Deichman. Self is most effective when you give him a clean inning and there have been numerous times had we learned that maybe we have a few more wins. We definitely would have won tonight.

ShotgunDawg
06-11-2017, 12:03 AM

I agree that they should pitch the 8th inning, but that doesn't mean they are any good.

The back end of our bullpen is pitching middle relief or in the mid-week for national championship caliber teams.

BHildreth3
06-11-2017, 12:04 AM
Okay...here's the good news - Alex Lange is done for this weekend. I think although we lost tonight, we gained a bit of confidence playing them at home. We can win the next 2 games, but Brent has to have great games. We've got this!

MarketingBully
06-11-2017, 12:05 AM

Coming into tonight- Plumlee had gone 4 IP's vs LSU with 2 ER's...Self had pitched 2 IP's vs LSU with 4 ER's. Self came in tonight and faced 5 batters- giving up 2 hits and a walk. LSU has owned Self

When did we start him out with a clean inning those games?

CadaverDawg
06-11-2017, 12:07 AM
Okay...here's the good news - Alex Lange is done for this weekend. I think although we lost tonight, we gained a bit of confidence playing them at home. We can win the next 2 games, but Brent has to have great games. We've got this!

http://i.imgur.com/okp66FD.gif

lamont
06-11-2017, 12:09 AM
When did we start him out with a clean inning those games?

Being a RP means you come in and do your job. Stop making excuses and blaming Cann for bullshit. LSU has pounded Self- end of story

MarketingBully
And please Cann, quit giving these asshats batting tips!

Bothrops
LSU will always have more top talent than we do, and will continue to beat us year in, year out, over the course. Some of us will live to see our all time record over them evaporate.

justwin
06-11-2017, 12:10 AM
Nope again. Self gave up legit hit hit to first guy. Then weak ground ball that's a hit due to Hnr then intentional walk then two outs. Like I said, deichman is up with two outs best case had self started the 8th.

lamont
06-11-2017, 12:14 AM
VS LSU-

Self- 2.2 IP's- 8 hits...5 ER's...3 BB's

Self was not the answer

confucius say
06-11-2017, 12:15 AM
Being a RP means you come in and do your job. Stop making excuses and blaming Cann for bullshit. LSU has pounded Self- end of story

Yep. I tried to tell them this in the game thread. Even the two outs self got, one was a deep fly ball hit well and the other was a freakin missle caught by gridley.

justwin
06-11-2017, 12:18 AM
I agree that they should pitch the 8th inning, but that doesn't mean they are any good.

The back end of our bullpen is pitching middle relief or in the mid-week for national championship caliber teams.

We win tonight had self started the eighth. The talent excuse is so typical whoa is me msu.

lamont
06-11-2017, 12:20 AM
We win tonight had self started the eighth. The talent excuse is so typical whoa is me msu.

2.2 IP's- 8 ******* hits and 5 ER's. Plus 3 BB's. Stop your bullshit. LSU owns Self

CadaverDawg
06-11-2017, 12:25 AM
Did any of you guys saying "Self to start the 8th" watch Self pitch vs LSU this year at all? Did you turn it off when we brought him in tonight? How the hell can you STILL be saying "Self starting the 8th woulda won it"? Good grief, the reason he didn't bring Self in sooner is because Self struggles vs lefties AND struggles against LSU. His cutter tails into Deichman's sweet spot. It was the right move to leave Plum in...Plum made a good pitch...a great hitter took it oppo for a huge hit. Stop being silly and acting like Self would have magically shut them down when all they've done is rip him in two appearances

MarketingBully
06-11-2017, 12:27 AM
Johnson robbed us of our bad ass closer this year and you can completely blame Padgett's injury on Johnson. He didn't need to increase his velocity. He already had a mid-90s fastball. He didn't need to be doing those stupid techniques dumb ass Johnson was teaching. The kid has a major league curve ball, mid-90s fastball and a good change as secondary pitches all from the left side. He was dominating summer ball last year before we had to shut him down. If we had him, imagine how different this team would be? Just one pitcher like Padgett.

justwin
06-11-2017, 12:29 AM
2.2 IP's- 8 ******* hits and 5 ER's. Plus 3 BB's. Stop your bullshit. LSU owns Self

It's on yoda tonight. Plumlee should've never seen 4 batters in the 8th. Just like Mullen not using his best rbs vs lsu last two years. We've had enough talent, it's coaching decicisions in those tight situations that result in losses. Especially va lsu. Hopefully yoda rebounds tomorrow. It's not injuries, not talent, it's coaching & personnel decisions when it matters

Todd4State
06-11-2017, 12:30 AM
I'd still rather start Self in the inning. Plumlee has been on and off the entire year. One inning he's good, the next he's extending his MSU record for grand slams allowed in a season.

At the end of the day it all goes back to:

1) We've had too many pitching injuries. Which is why Cann has tried to be conservative with Self in the first place and has caused him to extend guys like Plumlee, Jolly, and Barlow.

2) We need guys that are better than what we have now- which goes back to point number one above.

Oh and Austin Sexton who was drafted in the 18th round had a no hitter going for Peoria in A ball. It sure would be nice to have him back to pitch tomorrow against LSU's guy who was drafted in the 14th round.

Todd4State
06-11-2017, 12:35 AM
Did any of you guys saying "Self to start the 8th" watch Self pitch vs LSU this year at all? Did you turn it off when we brought him in tonight? How the hell can you STILL be saying "Self starting the 8th woulda won it"? Good grief, the reason he didn't bring Self in sooner is because Self struggles vs lefties AND struggles against LSU. His cutter tails into Deichman's sweet spot. It was the right move to leave Plum in...Plum made a good pitch...a great hitter took it oppo for a huge hit. Stop being silly and acting like Self would have magically shut them down when all they've done is rip him in two appearances

I did. I was there and sat through the rain delay from hell. I thought Self got squeezed personally that first time against LSU and that caused him to have to groove it. Things like that don't show up in stats or the box score.

I think the right move would have been to go with Self and if he allows two runners on you go to Price and hope for the best. Plumlee has proven to be a lot more consistently erratic. Being the set-up/closer/relief ace is Self's role. He should have gone into the game at that point. Plumlee is a long relief type of guy.

lamont
06-11-2017, 12:36 AM
It's on yoda tonight. Plumlee should've never seen 4 batters in the 8th. Just like Mullen not using his best rbs vs lsu last two years. We've had enough talent, it's coaching decicisions in those tight situations that result in losses. Especially va lsu. Hopefully yoda rebounds tomorrow. It's not injuries, not talent, it's coaching & personnel decisions when it matters

Wow. Only thing Cann shouldnt have done was bring in Self. Worst move he made all night

Todd4State
06-11-2017, 12:37 AM

Here's the thing about coaching decisions- they're a lot easier to make with better players. I wouldn't be surprised if Plumlee hardly pitches at all next year if certain guys get better and pan out.

lamont
06-11-2017, 12:37 AM
I did. I was there and sat through the rain delay from hell. I thought Self got squeezed personally that first time against LSU and that caused him to have to groove it. Things like that don't show up in stats or the box score.

I think the right move would have been to go with Self and if he allows two runners on you go to Price and hope for the best. Plumlee has proven to be a lot more consistently erratic. Being the set-up/closer/relief ace is Self's role. He should have gone into the game at that point. Plumlee is a long relief type of guy.

Plumlee was our best relief pitcher the last 30 games.

MetEdDawg
06-11-2017, 12:38 AM

I agree on Plumlee. Plus his ball dives away from all those lefties. Plumlee threw a good pitch to Diechman, but he's a hell of a ball player. Did what he was supposed to do. Stayed on it and drove it oppo. Self is much better against righties. Harder for them to stay on that cutter going down and away from them.

Everyone giving Self a pass is kidding themselves though. If he had a clean inning? He's a reliever. His job is to get outs regardless of situation. He didn't do that in a manner that allowed us to keep the lead. So he didn't do his job. Plus what makes any of you think he could get Diechman out after giving up 2 hits after he came in? Don't let being mad about a loss cloud your judgment people. Sucks to lose. But LSU took advantage and made enough things happen and we didn't. Plain and simple.

Todd4State
06-11-2017, 12:38 AM
And another reason to go with Self- Robertson was clearly taking pitches there. In that instance make him swing the bat- and the best way to do that is with a guy that throws strikes. And Self will at the very least do that.

msstate7
06-11-2017, 12:39 AM
Plumlee was our best relief pitch the last 30 games.

30 games? I'd agree with you if you said 5-8 games, but not 30

Todd4State
06-11-2017, 12:39 AM
Plumlee was our best relief pitcher the last 30 games.

That's sad.

MarketingBully
06-11-2017, 12:43 AM
That's sad.

That just tells you how badly Minime hurt our pitching staff. The shittiest thing IMO is we talk about wanting to get players that turn down the pros in high school and come to college and when we did get a nice crop of them from the 2016 class they are either injured, transfered away or get kicked off the team. So Mississippi State...

Todd4State
06-11-2017, 12:48 AM
That just tells you how badly Minime hurt our pitching staff. The shittiest thing IMO is we talk about wanting to get players that turn down the pros in high school and come to college and when we did get a nice crop of them from the 2016 class they are either injured, transfered away or get kicked off the team. So Mississippi State...

It sucks for this year- but I think most of the guys that have been injured will come back and be able to contribute for us before they leave. Some as soon as next year.

lamont
06-11-2017, 01:02 AM
30 games? I'd agree with you if you said 5-8 games, but not 30

Coming into tonight since May started:

Plumlee- 20.2 IP's 17 hits... 11 BB's.....8 ER's...2.52 ERA

Self- 14.1 IP's...13 hits...11 BB's.....10 ER's...7.00 ERA

HSVDawg
06-11-2017, 01:13 AM

So he could have gotten shelled even earlier than he did?

We have no LH arms out of the pen. Simple as that. This team was never making Omaha under nominal circumstances. ****kn deal with it

BrunswickDawg
06-11-2017, 06:31 AM

A freshman closer with 60k's in 47 innings (going into last night) and 8 saves won't get any better?? That's BS.

MetEdDawg
06-11-2017, 07:05 AM
A freshman closer with 60k's in 47 innings (going into last night) and 8 saves won't get any better?? That's BS.

That's why he said in current form. He's got to have something other than a cutter in this league and at the next level. Needs movement in the other direction so a 2 seam would be nice. Something to run in on righties who are looking to stay on the cutter. Needs a breaking ball too.

He's a freshman so he's got time. But if he wants to elevate his game and become dominant, he's got to have more pitches. An 88 MPH cutter doesn't last very long for a career when it's about the only thing you throw.

BrunswickDawg
06-11-2017, 07:25 AM
That's why he said in current form. He's got to have something other than a cutter in this league and at the next level. Needs movement in the other direction so a 2 seam would be nice. Something to run in on righties who are looking to stay on the cutter. Needs a breaking ball too.

He's a freshman so he's got time. But if he wants to elevate his game and become dominant, he's got to have more pitches. An 88 MPH cutter doesn't last very long for a career when it's about the only thing you throw.
The post still gives you the impression that Self won't get any better. Yours is a more accurate post.

basedog
06-11-2017, 07:57 AM
Msu Baseball will only get better with Cann and having a new stadium.

What a game last night.

Walks really hurt that 8th inning, Plumlee looked like a deer in headlights to me. I had no problem with him starting the 8th.
Self isn't the same pitcher now that teams have a good scouting report now.

That first inning we had Lange and Lsu on the ropes, not taking advantage of that situation probably cost us the game.

This team ain't gonna give up tonight, we can win tonight, just gotta wake up the bats!

Great atmosphere, announcers were good, America got to see Sec baseball at it's finest. For you shits saying "we WANT" ever be as good as Lsu need to pack up your bats and balls and go home to yo momma. Nothing stays the same, at one time we had better tradition than the Corndogs, along came Bertman and now they are the better program. Cann could be the difference now.

If you don't think we can't win tonight then you ain't True Maroon!

ShotgunDawg
06-11-2017, 08:03 AM
The post still gives you the impression that Self won't get any better. Yours is a more accurate post.

When I see how unathletic he looks when he jogs in from the bullpen, I actually do question how better he'll get.

I think you could argue that from a size, strength, and athleticism standpoint, he's fairly maxed out.

basedog
06-11-2017, 08:08 AM
When I see how unathletic he looks when he jogs in from the bullpen, I actually do question how better he'll get.

I think you could argue that from a size, strength, and athleticism standpoint, he's fairly maxed out.

He's a freshman! He probably has hit the wall, he's never pitched in front of crowds especially like last night, he will learn and get better. His ability has been pretty darn good, I'm betting he will get coached up.

The Federalist Engineer
06-11-2017, 08:49 AM

What if Auburn hires someone else in 2015 and Butch Thompson had gotten the Alabama Job in 2016 and we never see Mini-Me? What happens last night?

We call in Cale Breaux to close down the 8th and bring in Ethan Small to gas LSU in the 9th

Game-2 for the sweep, we start Keegan James, bring in Noah Hughes to stop a little rally in the 7th, then Jared Padgett to mess up Deichmann in the 8th, and close out the 9th.

The Federalist Engineer
06-11-2017, 09:00 AM
He's a freshman! He probably has hit the wall, he's never pitched in front of crowds especially like last night, he will learn and get better. His ability has been pretty darn good, I'm betting he will get coached up.

Yeah, your right dude. Self is MILES and MILES ahead of Dakota Hudson and Zac Houston at the same point. Those guys would never have been called in such a game as FRESHMEN. Dakota was strickly midweek as a Freshmen and Houston pitched just 3 damn innings. He has even outworked and contributed more than Pilkington (as a Freshmen). Recall that we iced Pilkington in 2016 after the SEC tourney.

Self currently throws the pitch he can control best. He has been too busy helping us win 17 SEC games and getting us to a Super Regional to work on his fastball and change-Up.

I bet this kid becomes a Monster in 2018 and totally Filthy by 2019. Because he wont do Summer Ball, Henderson will focus on his lower half development. He will look like Robo-Cop in 2018.

CadaverDawg
06-11-2017, 09:23 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/qxtxlL4sFFle/giphy.gif

ShotgunDawg
06-11-2017, 09:24 AM
Yeah, your right dude. Self is MILES and MILES ahead of Dakota Hudson and Zac Houston at the same point. Those guys would never have been called in such a game as FRESHMEN. Dakota was strickly midweek as a Freshmen and Houston pitched just 3 damn innings. He has even outworked and contributed more than Pilkington (as a Freshmen). Recall that we iced Pilkington in 2016 after the SEC tourney.

Self currently throws the pitch he can control best. He has been too busy helping us win 17 SEC games and getting us to a Super Regional to work on his fastball and change-Up.

I bet this kid becomes a Monster in 2018 and totally Filthy by 2019. Because he wont do Summer Ball, Henderson will focus on his lower half development. He will look like Robo-Cop in 2018.

Your right Self is currently a better college baseball player than Hudson & Houston were at the same time. He's more poised, throws more strikes, & is more reliable, but he isn't more talented. Not even close

ShotgunDawg
06-11-2017, 09:24 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/qxtxlL4sFFle/giphy.gif

I know, sounds ridiculous. Not gonna take the time to explain it. It be what it be

CadaverDawg
06-11-2017, 09:26 AM
I know, sounds ridiculous. Not gonna take the time to explain it.

It's crap man. No explanation needed. That's silly

msstate7
06-11-2017, 09:32 AM

You must not watch much MLB. All MLB pitchers are in tip top physical shape

Lol

tcdog70
06-11-2017, 09:53 AM

If that is
The case why not bring in ole 55? Plumlee looked spooked. Our problem for who ever pitched is to not walk the bottom of the order. I would have liked for Self to have a clean inning. I for sure would have pulled plum after the walk.

ShotgunDawg
06-11-2017, 10:26 AM

Ok. Always amazing how few people want to be told the truth. Whatever though.

Activated Alpha
06-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Msu Baseball will only get better with Cann and having a new stadium.

What a game last night.

Walks really hurt that 8th inning, Plumlee looked like a deer in headlights to me. I had no problem with him starting the 8th.
Self isn't the same pitcher now that teams have a good scouting report now.

That first inning we had Lange and Lsu on the ropes, not taking advantage of that situation probably cost us the game.

This team ain't gonna give up tonight, we can win tonight, just gotta wake up the bats!

Great atmosphere, announcers were good, America got to see Sec baseball at it's finest. For you shits saying "we WANT" ever be as good as Lsu need to pack up your bats and balls and go home to yo momma. Nothing stays the same, at one time we had better tradition than the Corndogs, along came Bertman and now they are the better program. Cann could be the difference now.

If you don't think we can't win tonight then you ain't True Maroon!

****ing Hail Damn State!! Tired of seeing all these people whine and say we will never be better then them. Well if you think that way either go become a corndog fan or get the **** away from sports entirely. MSU can and will be better then LSU when it comes to baseball. Stop the bitching and make these cajun cousins wish they had never emerged from their swamps...

confucius say
06-11-2017, 11:42 AM
We were better in 2011, 2013, and 2016. 3 of last 7 years.

Percho
06-11-2017, 12:02 PM
And another reason to go with Self- Robertson was clearly taking pitches there. In that instance make him swing the bat- and the best way to do that is with a guy that throws strikes. And Self will at the very least do that.

The walk killed us. Walks when you are ahead do much more damage mentally than say would have, a double. IMHO

BB30
06-11-2017, 12:07 PM
The walk killed us. Walks when you are ahead do much more damage mentally than say would have, a double. IMHO

Exactly the lead off walk after going up 3-0 was the start of it. I forgot the exact stat but a lead off walk on average scores like twice as often as a lead off hit. Also, kp pitched really well and did his job but it would have been really nice if he could have kept his pitch count down and given us 1 more inning. This team has done a great job when heir backs were against the wall all year, we have a good chance to win today if we can get a decent start on the mound.

msstate7
06-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Ok. Always amazing how few people want to be told the truth. Whatever though.

I don't think you can look at freshmen and map out their careers. Look at graveman... no one wanted him after his junior (much less freshman) year. Girodo was as bad as Mahoney early in his career

BB30
06-11-2017, 12:25 PM
I don't think you can look at freshmen and map out their careers. Look at graveman... no one wanted him after his junior (much less freshman) year. Girodo was as bad as Mahoney early in his career

Agreed, Girodo made a change in arm slot and mechanicsand look what happened. Graveman was a late bloomer and is just now hitting his stride along with developing a nasty cutter. Development takes time. The biggest thing with self is he is throwing strikes and competing the stuff will get better as he continues to mature and figure out what works and what doesn't. Some freshman are further along than others. Last year self was throwing against really poor competition most of the time he pitched.

ShotgunDawg
06-11-2017, 12:29 PM

Disagree, but there certainly are exceptions.

CadaverDawg
06-11-2017, 12:42 PM

And sure as hell cant do it based on their jog in from the bullpen.

NCDawg
06-11-2017, 01:01 PM
Both of our Right Fielders have really had difficulty in putting the ball in play when we really need it. Last night was a perfect example. First inning, bases loaded, 1 out, and he strikes out. Seems as this occurs just about every time. The other right fielder had the same problem.

diamonddawg17
06-11-2017, 01:11 PM
I have watched Self some over the years and know some of his family. This guy was throwing multiple pitches before he came to MSU. He started throwing the cutter after he got here. He can only throw what the pitching coach calls. He was always a starter until now so this is a whole new role for him. Plus he has more appearances than anybody on this team so I am sure he is tired. He wasn't selected Freshman All-American for no reason. Dude has had a great year and has stepped up in some tough situations and when nobody else in the pen did. No he isn't going to be able to do it everytime. And yes he was better earlier but it's because he has thrown so much in relief. A players body has to get use to a different role. You look at what 12-13 appearances in high school as a starter going 7 innings and then to 31 appearances as a reliever and on top of that the times he gets loose in pen and doesn't come in.

But I know how most people on this board are, players are great when winning and when we lose everybody sucks.

I seen it dawg
06-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Bottom line last night we had NO option to go to for Duplantis and Deichmann in the 8th. People can wring their hands and yell and postulate about clean innings who to bring in and all that other bullshit but the bottom line is we don't have a LH guy out of the pen to bring in. And the ballgame was that simple fact. Plain and simple.

Todd4State
06-11-2017, 01:30 PM
That deer in the headlights look is a big reason why I wanted Self out there.

basedog
06-11-2017, 01:34 PM
Bottom line last night we had NO option to go to for Duplantis and Deichmann in the 8th. People can wring their hands and yell and postulate about clean innings who to bring in and all that other bullshit but the bottom line is we don't have a LH guy out of the pen to bring in. And the ballgame was that simple fact. Plain and simple.

Like you said I seen it dawg, not having a lefty in the pen really hurts on match ups.

basedog
06-11-2017, 01:38 PM
That deer in the headlights look is a big reason why I wanted Self out there.

I made that comment, the kid gained a lot of experience from that game. He will be better prepared the next time, shit happens.

Btw, no doubt Self is out the wall, biggest thing I saw the last few outings is his control, his pitches are up, that right there seems to be a sign of a tired arm. But he has been pretty solid and and you have to run him out there cause he has been our best.

Let's just hope Price comes in tonight and can close out a victory and get into game 3!

Todd4State
06-11-2017, 01:56 PM
I made that comment, the kid gained a lot of experience from that game. He will be better prepared the next time, shit happens.

Btw, no doubt Self is out the wall, biggest thing I saw the last few outings is his control, his pitches are up, that right there seems to be a sign of a tired arm. But he has been pretty solid and and you have to run him out there cause he has been our best.

Let's just hope Price comes in tonight and can close out a victory and get into game 3!

We'll see about Plumlee. He looked like a deer in headlights when he was a starting pitcher when SEC play started which is why he got moved to the bullpen to start with. He's just inconsistent right now.

basedog
06-11-2017, 01:59 PM
He's young also, he has good stuff, he also will be better and will get coached up. He has gotten better, he will help next year, maybe mid week but he gained a bunch of experience this year.

Please don't tell me you are judging him the way he runs in from the pen?****