PDA

View Full Version : Headed to Starkvegas for orientation with my son on Sunday. Where should we

IMissJack
06-09-2017, 11:14 PM
try to eat? Need recommendations...

hailmari
06-09-2017, 11:20 PM
Bulldog Burger in the cotton district is really good and family friendly. Really can't go wrong with anything in the district as far as food goes. Dave's has great food despite its outside appearance.

I'm big on Two Brother's. Pork belly tacos.

It_Could_Happen
06-09-2017, 11:48 PM
Just started by grad school year so I'm pretty uo to date on the food situation.

Burgers- Bulldog Burger is by far the best burger joint in town.

Two brothers is excellent bar food. My favorite place in town. Gonna be a college crowd but go get the pulled pork grilled cheese.

Stromboli's if you go the pizza route.

If you want a nice dinner either Veranda or Resturant Tyler. Both of those have great brunch as well.

City bagel I think is the most underrated lunch place in town. Great sandwich stop and all the bagels are homemade.

Go get Starkville Cafe breakfast before you leave.

I'll get killed for this but Moe's is my favorite BBQ in town. There I said it.

DogsofAnarchy
06-09-2017, 11:56 PM

The Grill and Mugshots. Can't go wrong there.

starkvegasdawg
06-10-2017, 12:11 AM
I'm still an Oby's fan. Ate there tonight. Love their chicken strips and shrimp poboys.

DawgHouseUnited
06-10-2017, 12:25 AM
I'm still an Oby's fan. Ate there tonight. Love their chicken strips and shrimp poboys.

I was there twice this week myself.

Cloak
06-10-2017, 12:36 AM
My vote goes to Two Brothers in the Cotton District. Best bar/restaurant combo.

BeardoMSU
06-10-2017, 12:38 AM
Roxy's in the Cotton District
3 Little Pigs
Krystals
Bumpers
Grumpy's
and definitely go to Banisters and/or Cheers for drinks and sorostitute vomit breath***

Ok, in all seriousness:

City Bagel (probably my favorite place in town, and I miss it terribly)
Restaurant Tyler
Oby's
Christy's (I like Bulldog burger ok, but I'm a sucker for old fashion/simple burgers)
Stromboli
Daves Darkhorse
Thai Siam
The Exxon on 182 has some ****ing amazing rib-tips and smoked turkey legs.
Abner's
Veranda
Two Brothers
Commodore Bob's (the cod with capers is a really good dish)
Taste of China (no seriously: they have the best cheese rangoons, and the Mongolian Pork is ethereal)

Cloak
06-10-2017, 12:41 AM
3 Little Pigs
Krystals
Bumpers
Grumpy's
and definitely go to Banisters and/or Cheers for drinks and sorostitute vomit breath***

Ok, in all seriousness:

Restaurant Tyler
Oby's
Christy's (I like Bulldog burger ok, but I'm a sucker for old fashion/simple burgers)
Stromboli
Daves Darkhorse
Thai Siam
Abner's
Veranda
Two Brothers
Taste of China (no seriously: they have the best cheese rangoons, and the Mongolian Pork is ethereal)

Can't go wrong with Dave's. By far the best pizza in town.

BeastMan
06-10-2017, 07:18 AM
Just started by grad school year so I'm pretty uo to date on the food situation.

Burgers- Bulldog Burger is by far the best burger joint in town.

Two brothers is excellent bar food. My favorite place in town. Gonna be a college crowd but go get the pulled pork grilled cheese.

Stromboli's if you go the pizza route.

If you want a nice dinner either Veranda or Resturant Tyler. Both of those have great brunch as well.

City bagel I think is the most underrated lunch place in town. Great sandwich stop and all the bagels are homemade.

Go get Starkville Cafe breakfast before you leave.

Pretty much all this. Only 2 things I'd add is City Bagel's pizza (only served wed-sat night) is infinitely better than Stromboli. I also like City Bagel breakfast more than Starkville cafe. I'll also add the BBQ grilled cheese at Petty's should be illegal it's so damn good.

BrunswickDawg
06-10-2017, 08:33 AM

Congrats - I'll be doing the same with my daughter next weekend.

Mobile Bay
06-10-2017, 08:34 AM

Found the Old Miss fan

The correct answer is Petty's, now that Roosevelt Nichols is gone.

It_Could_Happen
06-10-2017, 08:57 AM
Pretty much all this. Only 2 things I'd add is City Bagel's pizza (only served wed-sat night) is infinitely better than Stromboli. I also like City Bagel breakfast more than Starkville cafe. I'll also add the BBQ grilled cheese at Petty's should be illegal it's so damn good.

Completely forgot about city bagel Italian night. It's divine. Never done the pizza though because I always go vodka pasta. It's incredible. I've done their breakfast once and it was really good but Starkville cafe just added some breakfast tacos to the menu that are incredible. I knew I'd get roasted for the moe's comment. I'm just not a dooey fan. It's good but I've always thought it was over priced. I've only done petty's once. Love the white BBQ sauce at Moe's and the atmosphere in there is great for watching games and stuff.

gravedigger
06-10-2017, 09:05 AM
If you have a chance to go to West point, and family members are with you, try Anthony's for dinner and Nightingale's Pantry for lunch. Any lady over 40 will love you for it.

The Grill is good as well as others mentioned. So is Cook out for fast food hamburgers and shakes. Casa Bravo for mexican and No way jose's for tex-mex

umi's for hibatchi.

sleepy dawg
06-10-2017, 09:33 AM
I love Abners and Christy's myself. Abners has my favorite chicken strips of anyone. Christy's, like stated above, has a good big old fashioned burger. My favorite in Starkville.

starkvegasdawg
06-10-2017, 09:38 AM
Abners closed.

It_Could_Happen
06-10-2017, 09:39 AM
If you have a chance to go to West point, and family members are with you, try Anthony's for dinner and Nightingale's Pantry for lunch. Any lady over 40 will love you for it.

The Grill is good as well as others mentioned. So is Cook out for fast food hamburgers and shakes. Casa Bravo for mexican and No way jose's for tex-mex

umi's for hibatchi.

Agree on all of those. Anthony's is my parents favorite spot. I think they might only be wed-sat though

BeastMan
06-10-2017, 09:42 AM
Completely forgot about city bagel Italian night. It's divine. Never done the pizza though because I always go vodka pasta. It's incredible. I've done their breakfast once and it was really good but Starkville cafe just added some breakfast tacos to the menu that are incredible. I knew I'd get roasted for the moe's comment. I'm just not a dooey fan. It's good but I've always thought it was over priced. I've only done petty's once. Love the white BBQ sauce at Moe's and the atmosphere in there is great for watching games and stuff.

Dude, Moe's is really good and totally different than Dooey & Petty's. Anybody roasting you for that is comparing apples to oranges. Moe's is more craft beer, great food (esp smoked wings), cool layout, good music, & a general heady feel. The GM is from my hometown and a damn good guy & bulldog.

missouridawg
06-10-2017, 09:47 AM
The two places I miss the most are Pettys BBQ (their cheeseburger is great, amongst other things) and Strombolis.

It_Could_Happen
06-10-2017, 09:50 AM
Dude, Moe's is really good and totally different than Dooey & Petty's. Anybody roasting you for that is comparing apples to oranges. Moe's is more craft beer, great food (esp smoked wings), cool layout, good music, & a general heady feel. The GM is from my hometown and a damn good guy & bulldog.

Those speciality sides are second to none as well.

BeardoMSU
06-10-2017, 10:02 AM
Abners closed.

Seriously? That's a shame.

It_Could_Happen
06-10-2017, 10:07 AM
Think it was a corporate thing. Figure that will eventually be some condo's.

BeastMan
06-10-2017, 10:12 AM
Those speciality sides are second to none as well.

Those too. Your food recs and Beardo's are eerily similar to mine. I'm just gonna say we have the best taste on the board, clearly

starkvegasdawg
06-10-2017, 10:15 AM

Surprised me, too. It was in yesterday's paper. We've had several restaurants close lately. Some have been replaced, though.

It_Could_Happen
06-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Those too. Your food recs and Beardo's are eerily similar to mine. I'm just gonna say we have the best taste on the board, clearly

Only one I left off and just realized it was Stagger Inn. You want true bar food that's your place.

Harrydawg
06-10-2017, 10:53 AM
Awesome suggestions.....my wife has always been a Grille fan (remember way back the Grille was where Stagger Inn is today....Grille has been down on the train tracks for years now.

BeastMan
06-10-2017, 10:57 AM
Only one I left off and just realized it was Stagger Inn. You want true bar food that's your place.

And i left of Dave's. One of my favorite dive bars all-time

BeardoMSU
06-10-2017, 11:22 AM

Forgot about Stagger. Good food fa sho.

It_Could_Happen
06-10-2017, 11:22 AM
And i left of Dave's. One of my favorite dive bars all-time

Here's my thing about Dave's. The pizza is incredible. Probably the best in town. I love the chicken gyro as well, but I don't want to wait 2.5 hours to get it. Only time I get dave's now is call in because I just don't want to wait that long. I've always said Dave's would kill it on the cotton district because if you could walk there a lot more people would go, but it's not in a great location to drink because you've got to drive over there.

sleepy dawg
06-10-2017, 11:31 AM

more than a shame...

BeastMan
06-10-2017, 11:43 AM
Here's my thing about Dave's. The pizza is incredible. Probably the best in town. I love the chicken gyro as well, but I don't want to wait 2.5 hours to get it. Only time I get dave's now is call in because I just don't want to wait that long. I've always said Dave's would kill it on the cotton district because if you could walk there a lot more people would go, but it's not in a great location to drink because you've got to drive over there.

You can make that walk from the CD to Dave's. Dave's caters to a different crowd and I like that about it. I don't think Dave wants any part of the Greek CD crowd. He has a nice little niche going.

It_Could_Happen
06-10-2017, 11:54 AM
You can make that walk from the CD to Dave's. Dave's caters to a different crowd and I like that about it. I don't think Dave wants any part of the Greek CD crowd. He has a nice little niche going.

Have you hit The Guest Room yet? I'm a big fan.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
06-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Hate to hear about Abner's.

In my opinion, Moe's is the best BBQ in town.

What's the difference in Mexican and Tex-Mex? I thought they were the same.

Absolutely, Dave's would kill it in the District and their pizza is the best in town.

Two Brother's is very good but I got food poisoning from the wings back in early April during the KY series. Saw game one and was in the bed for games 2 and 3.

City Bagel is very underrated. I'm sorry that I just started going there last month.

Obey's gumbo is VERY good and recommended.

BeastMan
06-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Have you hit The Guest Room yet? I'm a big fan.

I have not. Trips to Starkville have been too few and far between lately

BeardoMSU
06-10-2017, 12:45 PM
I have not. Trips to Starkville have been too few and far between lately

It's pretty awesome. Their cocktail program is about as good as you'll find anywhere, and you can still get the full Restaurant Tyler food menu I believe.

Also, it's the only place in Starkville that has the full range of Pappy Van Winkle.

Homedawg
06-10-2017, 12:46 PM
3 Little Pigs
Krystals
Bumpers
Grumpy's

Ok, in all seriousness:

Restaurant Tyler
Oby's
Stromboli
Daves Darkhorse
Thai Siam
Abner's
Veranda
Two Brothers

FYI abners closed. Commodore bob's is best place in town imo

BeardoMSU
06-10-2017, 12:48 PM
FYI abners closed. Commodore bob's is best place in town imo

Commodore's is good, but their menu (both food and drinks) is too limited. Restaurant Tyler/Guest Room is the best, IMO, if not one of the best restaurants in the State.

It_Could_Happen
06-10-2017, 12:52 PM
It's pretty awesome. Their cocktail program is about as good as you'll find anywhere, and you can still get the full Restaurant Tyler food menu I believe.

Also, it's the only place in Starkville that has the full range of Pappy Van Winkle.

Bingo Bango. Only place I know of that has it. I've been trying to find a bottle of that stuff for almost a year now and can't find it anywhere.

BeardoMSU
06-10-2017, 01:04 PM
Bingo Bango. Only place I know of that has it. I've been trying to find a bottle of that stuff for almost a year now and can't find it anywhere.

Word. They also have several Wellers, too, I believe. Btw, the Weller Antique (that you mentioned in the cooking thread) may be my favorite whiskey under $30...hell, I'd probably pay $50 it's so good. I've got two bottles in my cabinet now, lol.

I seen it dawg
06-10-2017, 01:04 PM
Had Tyler for lunch for first time at LSU series and it was great.

BeardoMSU
06-10-2017, 01:07 PM
Had Tyler for lunch for first time at LSU series and it was great.

Yeah, I forgot to mention their blueplate dishes are ****ing great. Damn, this thread is making me sad...

It_Could_Happen
06-10-2017, 01:13 PM
Word. They also have several Wellers, too, I believe. Btw, the Weller Antique (that you mentioned in the cooking thread) may be my favorite whiskey under $30...hell, I'd probably pay $50 it's so good. I've got two bottles in my cabinet now, lol.

I agree. Ive got one open now and one still on the shelf. Liquor store in ridgeland had a barrel of it so I stopped and picked up two bottles. Tried to go back last week and it was already gone. I'm still on the van winkle search but I feel like it's useless unless you know someone that has it.

BeardoMSU
06-10-2017, 01:16 PM
I agree. Ive got one open now and one still on the shelf. Liquor store in ridgeland had a barrel of it so I stopped and picked up two bottles. Tried to go back last week and it was already gone. I'm still on the van winkle search but I feel like it's useless unless you know someone that has it.

Corkey's gets them in once a year before Thanksgiving. I talked to the owner about it: he told me you just have to get on the list and they'll contact you when they get in. They never see the shelf.

archdog
06-10-2017, 05:59 PM
The Grill and Mugshots. Can't go wrong there.

Both severely overrated. Definitely skip if want food worth eating.

BHildreth3
06-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Raising Cane's needs to open up in the Abner's location :)

starkvegasdawg
06-10-2017, 07:20 PM
Raising Cane's needs to open up in the Abner's location :)
We'll probably end up with our 15th Mexican restaurant or sub shop.

Liverpooldawg
06-10-2017, 07:22 PM
My advice would be to enjoy it! I sure did when my kid went through it 4 years ago.

Bothrops
06-10-2017, 08:03 PM
Abners closed.

Abners was is a terrible location. Btw, are there any left outside of Oxfart?

IMissJack
06-10-2017, 10:09 PM
Thanks guys...

Liverpooldawg
06-10-2017, 10:20 PM
Abners was is a terrible location. Btw, are there any left outside of Oxfart?

The one in Tupelo is going strong.

dickiedawg
06-11-2017, 12:41 AM
Abner's had gone way downhill. It used to be a great place but hasn't been that in several years.
Denny's also closed and will be a super sonic car wash. That's a high dollar car wash.

I wish we'd get a taziki's... about the only thing we're missing.
As far as what I haven't seen mentioned, Lost Pizza is the best pie in town (nothing against Stromboli's, and I guess I can't speak for city bagel pizza but their pasta is great. Also not counting Dave's deep dish, which is incredible but we never go there because of the long wait time). Also little dooey is terrific, everything is good even if you prefer another place for actual pork. The catfish is stellar and all the sides are good, they have the best chicken tenders anywhere.

starkvegasdawg
06-11-2017, 02:39 AM
I do like Dooey... especially their catfish, but the best chicken strips in town are at the Sprint Mart on the west end of town on 12. And I say that with an air of authority on the matter. Having two kids (7 & 9), if there is one thing I am well versed on it's the town's chicken strips. I always shake my head when we go out to eat and they start arguing on where they want to go when one just refuses to go where the others want to. I'll point blank ask them why it matters to them where we go because you're going to order chicken strips.

I've seen people mention restaurant tyler and the veranda. I hate saying this because I much prefer supporting locally owned restaurants over chains, but I'm just not impressed with either of those places compared to the amount of money you'll pay. Both ar good, but not exceptionally outstanding. Or it could be that they try to serve a more fancy and discerning fair and I'm more a common food type of guy. Give me a steak and some flaky batter onion rings and I'm on cloud nine. I don't need a pan seared herb encrusted duck breast in a reduction sauce with shoestring roasted zuchini.

BulldogBear
06-11-2017, 05:45 AM
I came to town for the SEC softball tournament last year determined to only try places I had never been before. Here's the thread: http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?43753-quot-Mr-Bear-goes-to-Starkville-quot-or-quot-Hey-Rocky-watch-me-pull-a-quot-SECT-food-thread

Listen to itcouldhappen. He got me onto Two Brothers.

The wings are super (even their ranch is above board to me). I also recommend pimento cheese fritters and BBQ pulled pork grilled cheese.

BulldogBear
06-11-2017, 05:46 AM
We'll probably end up with our 15th Mexican restaurant or sub shop.

Mexican Sub Shop

...already have an idea for a turkey and swiss with guacamole and pico***

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
06-11-2017, 06:50 AM
Taziki's is needed bad. Does Starkville already have a Greek restaurant? A Zoe's kitchen would do well also. Although I prefer local restaurants over chains, these two that started in Birmingham and would be good to have in town.

Dot's Chicken is another that would do well in Starkville.

hailmari
06-11-2017, 10:36 AM
There use to be Zorba's above Restarant Tyler. That menu was Greek inspired, but they switched it over to Upstairs At Tyler a few years ago.

starkvegasdawg
06-11-2017, 10:48 AM
Flo and Eddy's is one place I miss.

Mjoelner34
06-11-2017, 11:05 AM
Is Sonny's still open? I know it stayed open, at least for a little while, after he died. Back in the day, Sonny's left Dooey's and Petty's in the dust! Not even close!

Since Abner's is closed, you can go to Zaxby's for chicken strips. Just don't forget to order the chicken with the plate of salt they give you.

I'm surprised Denny's lasted as long as it did with the horror stories I've heard about that place and the experience I had the one time I ate there.

I agree with the poster about Lost Pizza. Best in town.

Bulldog Burger >>>>>>> Mugshots

For just an old fashioned, truck stop style, straight burger, Bully's Burgers and Wings >>>>>> Christy's

Mobile Bay
06-11-2017, 11:40 AM
Flo and Eddy's is one place I miss.

Did you go for the food or the cocaine? That place had a lot of blow going through there in my day.

Mobile Bay
06-11-2017, 11:41 AM
Is Sonny's still open? I know it stayed open, at least for a little while, after he died. Back in the day, Sonny's left Dooey's and Petty's in the dust! Not even close!

I was living there when he passed. It closed for a bit, and then his daughter tried to reopen it, but the magic was gone. it didn't last long.

starkvegasdawg
06-11-2017, 11:42 AM
Did you go for the food or the cocaine? That place had a lot of blow going through there in my day.
It was the food. Guess I was blissfully ignorant of the coke. I was there mid 90's.