PDA

View Full Version : The Current NCAA Baseball Tournment Structure is a Travesty

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2017, 02:33 PM
A&M getting to play Davidson at home is absolutely unfair and wrong.

LSU and MSU having to play each other, when both finished above A&M in the SEC is wrong.

Oregon St as the #1 overall seed having to play Vandy and Kyle Wright while A&M gets to play Davidson at home is wrong and unfair.

Seed the field 1-64 and line up the regionals from there

Reseed after the regionals.

The current system doesn't allow for the best teams to get to Omaha. This is a joke.

Big4Dawg
06-09-2017, 02:34 PM
Agree. There is ZERO reason you can't reseed after the Regional. Why do regional have to be matched up with each other?

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2017, 02:37 PM
Agree. There is ZERO reason you can't reseed after the Regional. Why do regional have to be matched up with each other?

I mean, with A&M, basically a mediocre SEC team has been given a free pass to Omaha while far more successful teams have play each other. It's gross

Shake 'n Bake
06-09-2017, 02:48 PM
This is crazy talk. You don't reseed the NCAA tournament after each round in basketball, why would you do it in baseball. Just because it is not in our best interest this year doesn't mean it should be scrapped.

Maroons
06-09-2017, 02:59 PM

LSU and MSU having to play each other, when both finished above A&M in the SEC is wrong.

Oregon St as the #1 overall seed having to play Vandy and Kyle Wright while A&M gets to play Davidson at home is wrong and unfair.

The current system doesn't allow for the best teams to get to Omaha. This is a joke.

Do you hate the NCAA Basketball Tournament? Serious question.

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2017, 03:09 PM

I understand this counter point, but then 3 game series and non-neutral sites makes the baseball version appear worse.

Dallas_Dawg
06-09-2017, 03:16 PM
I agree with Shotgun. The Baseball tournament is seeded based on school locations, not RPI or records. Which is why we never play in a regional west of the Sabine River. It's bullshit that we get paired with Florida and LSU. That should never happen. Why can't they put all the sec teams in different brackets. There's 16 super regionals and 14 SEC teams (obviously not all make it)
There's no excuse not to split them all up.

BB30
06-09-2017, 03:32 PM
I mean, with A&M, basically a mediocre SEC team has been given a free pass to Omaha while far more successful teams have play each other. It's gross

Davidson beat NC twice they have a pretty solid team. Anything can happen this time of year. It is up to the team's hosting regionals to win their regional if they don't it works out in other team's favor. I didn't see anybody complaining when we got to host Clemson in a SR and made it to Omaha. If I remember correctly that was the same scenario. You go to a national seed and beat them at their place I think you deserve to host a SR

CadaverDawg
06-09-2017, 03:32 PM
Yea, if the baseball tourney actually seeded like the hoops tourney does, y'all may have a point. But A&M has no business being in Omaha, and they were basically given a spot. How did UNC lose to this piece of shit team? Davidson sucks

bulldogcountry1
06-09-2017, 03:36 PM
I kind of would like to see a reseed after regionals, but I like that the current system allows for a Cinderella story.

I do think they should reseed going into Omaha.

Dawg61
06-09-2017, 03:39 PM
I love the basketball tournament and the baseball tournament the way they are right now. I LIVE for the underdogs getting more chance at the ultimate prize like Coastal Carolina and Fresno State achieved. You are focusing on aTm having an easier path now which is true but aTm wasn't a #3 seed in the Houston regional so Davidson has now absorbed the #2 overall seed from UNC by earning it on the field and have luck on their side in having to face a 3 seed instead of another #1 seed. You reseed the tournament and Davidson loses what they rightfully just earned. An easier path.

thf24
06-09-2017, 03:43 PM
The basketball equivalent of what happens in the baseball tournament would be UNC and Duke meeting in the sweet 16 on a regular basis. It's not the same thing.

CadaverDawg
06-09-2017, 03:45 PM
I love the basketball tournament and the baseball tournament the way they are right now. I LIVE for the underdogs getting more chance at the ultimate prize like Coastal Carolina and Fresno State achieved. You are focusing on aTm having an easier path now which is true but aTm wasn't a #3 seed in the Houston regional so Davidson has now absorbed the #2 overall seed from UNC by earning it on the field and have luck on their side in having to face a 3 seed instead of another #1 seed. You reseed the tournament and Davidson loses what they rightfully just earned. An easier path.

Then at the very least they should be playing AT Davidson, or at a neutral site close to Davidson. A&M getting to play these scrubs at home, as a 3 seed, is a damn joke.

And I agree with the above poster that said it should be reseeded in Omaha.

Dawg61
06-09-2017, 03:53 PM
Then at the very least they should be playing AT Davidson, or at a neutral site close to Davidson. A&M getting to play these scrubs at home, as a 3 seed, is a damn joke.

And I agree with the above poster that said it should be reseeded in Omaha.

Davidson was the #4 seed in the UNC regional

Davidson not dead yet, 6-4 now with 2 on 1 out, top 7th

Cooterpoot
06-09-2017, 04:11 PM
If we beat LSU, no one will complain. We just have to do what Davidson did.

CadaverDawg
06-09-2017, 04:25 PM
Davidson was the #4 seed in the UNC regional

Davidson not dead yet, 6-4 now with 2 on 1 out, top 7th

I know Davidson was a 4 seed, but if they're taking the place of the #2 National Seed...let them take their place and host the Supers. A&M knocked off a weaker 1 seed than Davidson, so why were they rewarded a host? It's BS imo

AusTexDawg
06-09-2017, 05:13 PM
If the tournament actually made money for the teams involved (it's a money-losing venture for most schools that participate, which is why geographic regionals are still useful), I would agree that the field of 64 should be seeded on the S-curve 1-64;however, if you've proven your mettle on the field by winning your regional, why should you be reseeded for super-regionals? I could see value in going through the exercise of reseeding the 8 for Omaha, but only to ensure that the top two seeds aren't on the same side of the bracket, not to actually redo all the brackets. Once we're down to the final 8 teams out of ~300 that play D1 baseball, is there really that much difference between seeds 3-6 or seeds 4-8 based on the results on the field during the tournament?

shoeless joe
06-09-2017, 05:23 PM
Easy fix Seed 1-64 upsets happen...we've benefited from them before. But not seeding all teams leads to this being more of an issue.

ScoobaDawg
06-09-2017, 05:24 PM

It's not comparable. Shotgun is actually right.. the problem is $$$. You have to remember the vast majority of the top 64 teams do not make money on baseball...and sure not enough to travel last minute across the country for a weekend.
More so.. fan support would be way down if Maine had to fly to UCLA and washington had to fly to Miami and TX A&M gets sent to college of charleston or something like the sorts because teams are ranked 17-64 instead of grouped together by local hosts.

Dawg61
06-09-2017, 05:25 PM
I know Davidson was a 4 seed, but if they're taking the place of the #2 National Seed...let them take their place and host the Supers. A&M knocked off a weaker 1 seed than Davidson, so why were they rewarded a host? It's BS imo

You're right now that I think about it, Davidson should get to host after taking over UNC's spot. The NCAA in a way did reseed it by gifting aTm the host and that's not right. The NCAA dipped their toes into reseeding without all the way doing it. Either do it or don't do it but definitely don't half way do it. I wonder if they should think about putting regionals and SR in domes or fields very unlikely to get rainouts. It's not fair for only a few regional spots to get shitted on by rain while others get great weather. Taxes some teams while others get more rest. Not a level system.

Todd4State
06-09-2017, 05:34 PM
I'm actually Ok with the system because it allows for Cinderellas. Like Ole Miss in 2014.

If you want a system with the best teams I would just say have the 8 SR's seeded 1-16 with no automatic bids from schools like Davidson and whoever else. That's really the only way to do that.

fader2103
06-09-2017, 05:38 PM
I am fine with how it is. Davidson won the right to face whatever team there regional was up against. Just because they were a four seed doesn't mean they should have to face Oregon St.

yjnkdawg
06-09-2017, 05:43 PM
I'm ok with how it is. I like to see a Coastal Carolina emerge. Even if it is a travesty, until the right people think it needs revamping and the NCAA agrees and changes it, then it's really a mute point.

CadaverDawg
06-09-2017, 05:45 PM
They could crush the low revenue argument by putting the Regionals at a neutral site and putting 8 teams or 2 Regionals at the same location to draw bigger crowds. In other words, put the Baton Rouge and Hattiesburg Regionals in New Orleans or somewhere....even if they're all in Alex Box....and split the gate among 8 teams. Then for the Supers they have to be neutral site.

Just thinking out loud

sleepy dawg
06-09-2017, 05:45 PM
Like Scooba said, it's about money. They know it's not fair. They don't care. They make their decisions based on what they think will make them the most money.

I was told by someone "well connected" to the situation the night before the teams were announced (after the host sites were announced) that MSU and USA were going to Hattiesburg and would be paired in LSUs Super Regional. I didn't post it because I questioned the accuracy even after they told me this was fact and not their opinion. I told them I would be surprised if that was the case. After it was announced, I asked them why and they did this, and he looked at me and did this:
http://pictures.picasion.com/pic65/feb722ae0aef6a0139bbbdce5d2e8892.gif

Homedawg
06-09-2017, 05:56 PM

It's no different than basketball. It happens. Just beat who you play. It's helped us before too. 2007 comes to mind.

BB30
06-09-2017, 06:08 PM
I myself am enjoying the Davidson a and m game pretty good baseball so far.

smootness
06-09-2017, 06:31 PM

Why should Davidson be rewarded?

The tournament is fine as it is. We're facing a tough team in the SR because we ended the year poorly and fell to a 2 seed. LOL about 'unfair'.

smootness
06-09-2017, 06:34 PM
You're right now that I think about it, Davidson should get to host after taking over UNC's spot. The NCAA in a way did reseed it by gifting aTm the host and that's not right. The NCAA dipped their toes into reseeding without all the way doing it. Either do it or don't do it but definitely don't half way do it. I wonder if they should think about putting regionals and SR in domes or fields very unlikely to get rainouts. It's not fair for only a few regional spots to get shitted on by rain while others get great weather. Taxes some teams while others get more rest. Not a level system.

And if the 3 seed had beaten LSU and hosted over us because of this same principal, we'd be PISSED and talking about how unfair it is.

Dawg61
06-09-2017, 06:53 PM
And if the 3 seed had beaten LSU and hosted over us because of this same principal, we'd be PISSED and talking about how unfair it is.

We'd bitch no matter what but you're right we'd raise hell if that happened.

Todd4State
06-09-2017, 09:36 PM
I'm ok with how it is. I like to see a Coastal Carolina emerge. Even if it is a travesty, until the right people think it needs revamping and the NCAA agrees and changes it, then it's really a mute point.

Here's the other thing about it too- as a SEC team with these Cinderella's like Coastal Carolina there's a chance that might be who we have to play for a National Championship one day. Yeah they could beat us but if I had a choice between Coastal Carolina and UCLA as far as who to play in a National Finals situation I'm taking the Sun Belt team.

Todd4State
06-09-2017, 09:40 PM
Like Scooba said, it's about money. They know it's not fair. They don't care. They make their decisions based on what they think will make them the most money.

I was told by someone "well connected" to the situation the night before the teams were announced (after the host sites were announced) that MSU and USA were going to Hattiesburg and would be paired in LSUs Super Regional. I didn't post it because I questioned the accuracy even after they told me this was fact and not their opinion. I told them I would be surprised if that was the case. After it was announced, I asked them why and they did this, and he looked at me and did this:
http://pictures.picasion.com/pic65/feb722ae0aef6a0139bbbdce5d2e8892.gif

The NCAA has consistently done this since they reformatted in 1999. We're very likely to play USM and South Alabama in regionals going forward in Starkville. And if Jackson State, Alcorn, or Valley win the SWAC they're coming to Starkville.

It's not a coincidence that they have so many "rivalry" Super Regionals every year.

The Federalist Engineer
06-09-2017, 09:46 PM
I think Davidson is the team screwed, you don't reseed. But, if you beat a national seed, you should snake their home field advantage. Winner of the national seed regional gets dibs on the top seed of other regional. Just my opinion.

smootness
06-09-2017, 09:56 PM
I think Davidson is the team screwed, you don't reseed. But, if you beat a national seed, you should snake their home field advantage. Winner of the national seed regional gets dibs on the top seed of other regional. Just my opinion.

No. Host sites aren't determined until after the regional. The bracket is a simple concept. It makes no sense to give the lower seed home field advantage.

CadaverDawg
06-09-2017, 10:43 PM
Why should Davidson be rewarded?

The tournament is fine as it is. We're facing a tough team in the SR because we ended the year poorly and fell to a 2 seed. LOL about 'unfair'.

I could say "water is wet" and your ass would disagree and have some matter of fact smartass response. So I'll just say in my opinion you're wrong, and leave it at that.

justwin
06-09-2017, 11:20 PM

In your view, how should the 16 teams be paired this weekend instead of how it is? Should UF vs FSU play one another? Should 2 of the 3 tx teams play one another? Should Davidson be rewarded by playing the other lowest seed? I like the ky battle. Also like the LSU MSU battle. Like the Fullerton Long Beach battle too

Bulldogg31
06-09-2017, 11:31 PM
I could say "water is wet" and your ass would disagree and have some matter of fact smartass response. So I'll just say in my opinion you're wrong, and "leave it at that.

Well...since you brought it up...

"Water isn't wet. Wetness is a description of our experience of water; what happens to us when we come into contact with water in such a way that it impinges on our state of being. We, or our possessions, 'get wet'."