PDA

View Full Version : So, how do you think the NCAA

Msujd164
06-08-2017, 11:34 AM
Feels about OM all but naming Leo by inserting the joker gif?

pilldawg
06-08-2017, 11:42 AM

Shows the pettiness and overall lack of care of a student athlete, by dragging them through the mud. Ole Miss sees student athletes as objects that can be bought and sold and it comes through with that kind of response. I would ask, how would you advise your child if the NCAA asked them to be honest about their recruitment? I think the stuff regarding student athlete 39 will harm Ole Miss worse than anything else based on how they responded.

BeardoMSU
06-08-2017, 11:47 AM

I think the gimmick of asking for an interview with Mullen (knowing he'd decline), for the sole purpose of a "gotcha moment" is a bigger deal, IMO.

jeremyrbrown
06-08-2017, 11:48 AM
Seems to contradict this statement: "If you have facts about a violation, email compliance@olemiss.edu. If not, please don't slander the young men."

Johnson85
06-08-2017, 11:49 AM

Probably is going to piss them off that they felt the need to redact boosters names but didn't redact the identifying information of the student athlete. They also widely leaked the student athlete's identity well before the response was released.

Johnson85
06-08-2017, 11:50 AM
I think the gimmick of asking for an interview with Mullen (knowing he'd decline), for the sole purpose of a "gotcha moment" is a bigger deal, IMO.

??? I'm not following this? Why would this piss off the NCAA?

MetEdDawg
06-08-2017, 11:50 AM

I teach, so FERPA is a big deal in my line of work. Pretty sure there is reasonable evidence that Leo could be identified from the information OM released. Per FERPA, rights extend to NCAA investigation information of a minor. I think the Lewis family could pursue this and get somewhere with it.

http://counsel.cua.edu/res/docs/ferpa-vs-public-records-laws.pdf

ShotgunDawg
06-08-2017, 12:01 PM
I teach, so FERPA is a big deal in my line of work. Pretty sure there is reasonable evidence that Leo could be identified from the information OM released. Per FERPA, rights extend to NCAA investigation information of a minor. I think the Lewis family could pursue this and get somewhere with it.

http://counsel.cua.edu/res/docs/ferpa-vs-public-records-laws.pdf

Is Leo a minor?

He's over 18 years old

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-08-2017, 12:18 PM
Is Leo a minor?

He's over 18 years old

He was when he was recruited.

BrunswickDawg
06-08-2017, 01:13 PM
Is Leo a minor?

He's over 18 years old

He was when he was recruited.

Pretty sure FERPA still applies as long as you are enrolled. It's why entering Freshman have to sign a form when enrolling to allow their parents to see/sign for school records (I just did with my daughter who will be a freshman in the fall)

fader2103
06-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Do you think LEO's TSUN booster is pissed because he spent that much money, only to have it wrapped in maroon and white?

hobiedawg
06-08-2017, 01:27 PM
...as objects that can be bought and sold...

I see a Mutt post here.

ILOATHEBears
06-08-2017, 02:53 PM
??? I'm not following this? Why would this piss off the NCAA?

C'mon man you Mullen is a double secret agent for the NCAA and ole miss was not supposed to know his real name since Dan orchestrated all this by himself ***

Johnson85
06-08-2017, 03:19 PM
Pretty sure FERPA still applies as long as you are enrolled. It's why entering Freshman have to sign a form when enrolling to allow their parents to see/sign for school records (I just did with my daughter who will be a freshman in the fall)

Does Ole Miss have any FERPA responsibilities to somebody that was never a student? I would have assumed not, although maybe they have an obligation since they received the information through the NCAA investigation.

Regardless of what the law is, you have to think the NCAA doesn't appreciate the fact that they went through the trouble of trying to keep an athlete's identity anonymous, and Ole Miss immediately leaked it, and just in case nobody believed the leaks, essentially personally identified him in the response, while still protecting the identity of their boosters. I think if I were the NCAA, that would piss me off more than anything else. They are essentially retaliating against somebody that cooperated in the investigation.

Tbaen
06-08-2017, 03:31 PM
The OP has seized upon what I think is one of the more interesting parts of the response. I think the attorneys are opening Pandora's Box by asserting the relevance of a social media post. If I was working on the NCAA response/rebuttal, I would bury them in OM booster tweets, instagrams, message board posts and attacks on SA 39. Normally that kind of garbage would be objectionable on several grounds, even in a non-judicial proceeding, but they've invited the NCAA to mine those "sources" with this part of the response.

Mimi's Babies
06-08-2017, 03:55 PM
FERPA Law covers all children through college graduation.... I would think that the slander, defamation of character, and FERPA Law violations would be viable options for a lawsuit against many who in the media who took the NCAA NOA response from OM and their attorneys.... and published what was released. Let's not forget, the slander of the law firms involved. This is about to get interesting.....

Psst... If a student doesn't give a parent FERPA permission to see the grades etc. then the parents have no say in what is going on at the college, it doesn't matter if the parents are paying the bills or not.

WSOPdawg
06-08-2017, 04:04 PM
Does Ole Miss have any FERPA responsibilities to somebody that was never a student? I would have assumed not, although maybe they have an obligation since they received the information through the NCAA investigation.

Regardless of what the law is, you have to think the NCAA doesn't appreciate the fact that they went through the trouble of trying to keep an athlete's identity anonymous, and Ole Miss immediately leaked it, and just in case nobody believed the leaks, essentially personally identified him in the response, while still protecting the identity of their boosters. I think if I were the NCAA, that would piss me off more than anything else. They are essentially retaliating against somebody that cooperated in the investigation.

Dang, there is so much "right" in this message. Rep given.

Mimi's Babies
06-08-2017, 04:11 PM
Dang, there is so much "right" in this message. Rep given.

DOUBLE STANDARDS......

yjnkdawg
06-08-2017, 07:20 PM
I think the way OM is handling everything involved right now in the investigation, from the stuff on Leo, to challenging the NCAA and on that ridiculous response, is not going to bode very well in the eyes of the NCAA. Dig that hole deeper OM.