PDA

View Full Version : OT: yard/grass issues

Dawgology
06-04-2017, 10:24 AM
I know we have some yard pros on here. Here's what I'm dealing with. I live on top of a hill. I have many large oak trees across my yard. I can get nothing to grow beneath them and when I plant seed or try sod the first rain washes everything to the bottom of the hill. Cutting down the oak trees is not an option I need something that will grow...fast...and cover quickly.

Any suggestions??

MaroonBandAlum
06-04-2017, 10:38 AM
I know we have some yard pros on here. Here's what I'm dealing with. I live on top of a hill. I have many large oak trees across my yard. I can get nothing to grow beneath them and when I plant seed or try sod the first rain washes everything to the bottom of the hill. Cutting down the oak trees is not an option I need something that will grow...fast...and cover quickly.

Any suggestions??

Get some st Augustine sod (zoysia and fescue would work as well... not sure if they'll spread like st Augustine). Either sod the whole area, or get a few squares and cut them up and plant sprigs in the area, cover the dirt with straw or hay to keep the dirt from washing away.

RocketDawg
06-04-2017, 10:49 AM
Depends also on where you live. But fescue doesn't spread like Bermuda, and zoysia isn't as shade tolerant as it's touted to be (I know from experience). You have the further problem of the tree roots pretty much taking over the water.

A good shade tolerant fescue that you can try is creeping red, assuming you don't live too far south. It's a cool season grass. There's no point in trying Bermuda ... it just won't grow in the shade. Kentucky 31 might grow some but is wide-bladed and gets clumpy, and you'd have to plant the seeds for it and creeping red in the fall.

Dawgbite
06-04-2017, 11:12 AM
I share your problem and have fought it for years. The shade isn't the only problem, oaks make the soil very acidic and suck all the moisture out of the ground. I tried everything and eventually cut most of the trees. My neighbor took a different approach and planted some kind of ground cover that reaches out pretty much to the same diameter as the canopy. There is no known grass that will consistently grow under oak trees , a creeping grass like centipede or st Augustine will slowly creep under the canopy if you have plenty of moisture and treat the acidity but a moderate drought will wipe it out.

turkish
06-04-2017, 12:42 PM
Dawgbite, any chance you could get the name of that groundcover from your neighbor?

Dawgology
06-04-2017, 12:46 PM
I share your problem and have fought it for years. The shade isn't the only problem, oaks make the soil very acidic and suck all the moisture out of the ground. I tried everything and eventually cut most of the trees. My neighbor took a different approach and planted some kind of ground cover that reaches out pretty much to the same diameter as the canopy. There is no known grass that will consistently grow under oak trees , a creeping grass like centipede or st Augustine will slowly creep under the canopy if you have plenty of moisture and treat the acidity but a moderate drought will wipe it out.
Would love to know what groundcover he is using

Dawgbite
06-04-2017, 03:49 PM
I'll ask him when he gets back in town, he's on vacation right now. It's some kind of creeping vine about 12 inches high. It choked everything else out and he just mows around it to keep its shape.

TUSK
06-04-2017, 04:34 PM
Asiatic Jasmine.... but research it yourself to make certain ya dig it...

starkvegasdawg
06-04-2017, 04:41 PM
Get yancy to do a podcast under your tree. There'll be so much fertilizer spread that artificial plants would take root and grow.

missouridawg
06-04-2017, 04:45 PM
I've got a question for the yard pros too.... I'm a first time homeowner and have no clue what I'm doing. How much should I water my yard if I live in the Houston TX area? Daily? Twice a day? Every other day? 5, 10, 15 minutes per station? I've got a nice sprinkler system and I know how to use it, I just have no clue how I SHOULD use it.

Also, I sent off a soil sample last week. What do I do with the results? My grass looks bad compared to my neighbors so I'm hoping to find the right combination of watering times and fertilizer to get it growing nice and thick.

archdog
06-04-2017, 06:33 PM
First step, move out of Houston. 2nd step, fertilize with Scott every 3rd week. Sprinkler 20 minutes at night or early morning. Use a preemergent weed killer as directed.

Turfdawg67
06-04-2017, 06:50 PM
Groundcover is your only option if you're keeping all the oak trees. I like the Jasmine suggestion... also, Liriope or Vinca do well in shade. I would NOT water at night... moisture and heat are recipes for disease. Water in the morning so the sum will dry the liquid off of the leaf blades.