PDA

View Full Version : Here's A Crazy Idea for Tomorrow's Piitching

dawg93
06-03-2017, 11:25 PM
Going way out on a limb here...but what if we started Gordon again with a very quick hook. Maybe we get lucky and he gives us 5 or so decent innings and our offense wakes up. If he looks bad at all in the first, get Pilk in there ASAP. It's not like he threw a ton of pitches Friday and maybe already getting used to the surroundings and the mound would help (you never know with baseball players).

Then, use Pilk for the elimination game vs. USM/USA. I know it's very unconventional and way out of the box. But, has anyone else even had this thought cross their mind?

HUGE GAMBLE, I know, but our chances of winning 4 in a row with our pitching depth is tiny anyway. At least this way, maybe we get to Monday and see what happens.

Saving Gordon for some innings Monday won't help if we aren't playing. We still would have Billingsley and McQuarey for Monday to start.

Thoughts?

raymond21
06-04-2017, 08:00 AM
We are facing a pitcher today with a 2.75 ERA and a closer with a .40 ERA. Odds are if we spot them 2 or 3 because of walks, we are doomed. Just by the numbers, you would have to anticipate a low scoring game against UIC.

MetEdDawg
06-04-2017, 08:42 AM
I really don't want to pitch Pilk in this game. But if we screw the pooch and lose without our best pitcher pitching, Can would get hammered.

Plus let's say a Gordon or McQuary go 4 innings then get in trouble in the 5th. You putting Pilk in? Probably not because it's too late in the game. Which means our bullpen not only has to win us a game, but they get used hard in game 2 when we have to win 4 over the next 2 days to advance.

Best chance we have is go Pilk against UIC and hope like hell he goes 7+. Then pitch McQuary game 2 and follow him up with whoever is needed to win. Then the hope is Billingsley and Gordon can both get opportunities to start Monday games and win this thing. If Can finds a way to pull this off....

The Federalist Engineer
06-04-2017, 08:48 AM
Thoughts? This ain't little league. Co'mon Mayne!

But if we get to game-5 we will be an epic pitching clown show

HoopsDawg
06-04-2017, 08:54 AM
Umm, no. The strategy is pretty clear in my mind, but it's not in Cann's.

You go Denver vs UIC. Then Pilk vs USA/USM. Then you are in the championship. Then you go Billinglsy Game 1. And you can bring back Gordon for Game 2. At that point you would be going against USM/USA's 4th pitcher so I would like our chances.

But we are going Pilk Game 1 today so it's over for us.

msstate7
06-04-2017, 09:01 AM

You go Denver vs UIC. Then Pilk vs USA/USM. Then you are in the championship. Then you go Billinglsy Game 1. And you can bring back Gordon for Game 2. At that point you would be going against USM/USA's 4th pitcher so I would like our chances.

I agree. Really hope I'm proven wrong

shoeless joe
06-04-2017, 09:24 AM

I agree.

Gotta play to win it all...not just one game. Folks act like goin 1-2 is so much better than 0-2. I liked the gamble Friday even tho it backfired...if we didn't pitch pilk and it backfired again I'd still be ok with it. Even if we win tonite to make it to Monday we'd still be looking at a depleted staff and needing to win 2 games

CadaverDawg
06-04-2017, 09:33 AM
You can't plan for tonight and tomorrow. You plan for this morning, hope you win, and then plan for tonight. We forfeited being able to plan ahead when we lost game 1. Now there is no next game without a win this morning

I hope Pilk goes 7+, we win, and then USA beats USM. Then we approach tonight with a "whatever it takes" mentality...all arms that are healthy are an option. Survive and advance.

I seen it dawg
06-04-2017, 09:34 AM
I agree. Really hope I'm proven wrong

I feel real good about it then since you 2 are all out on it.

I seen it dawg
06-04-2017, 09:37 AM
We are facing a pitcher today with a 2.75 ERA and a closer with a .40 ERA. Odds are if we spot them 2 or 3 because of walks, we are doomed. Just by the numbers, you would have to anticipate a low scoring game against UIC.

Bingo. Everyone seems to trust that Denver will be a Denver we have never seen. He can't be trusted. I'd love to save Pilk and go with a Denver bc it's good strategy but he can't be trusted not to walk 8 guys in 3 innings. We are just ****ed bc we have one starter we can pretty well trust to throw strikes. Some on here just don't ****ing get it.

CadaverDawg
06-04-2017, 09:41 AM
Bingo. Everyone seems to trust that Denver will be a Denver we have never seen. He can't be trusted. I'd love to save Pilk and go with a Denver bc it's good strategy but he can't be trusted not to walk 8 guys in 3 innings. We are just ****ed bc we have one starter we can pretty well trust to throw strikes. Some on here just don't ****ing get it.

Yep

I seen it dawg
06-04-2017, 09:45 AM

You are wrong again today. Read my post a few above...

DownwardDawg
06-04-2017, 09:49 AM

Yep. This isn't a normal year for us. If we had a consistent pitcher that we trusted to go out there and throw strikes, then that strategy would be the right one. We don't have that. Our best chance is to pitch Pilk just so we get another chance!

HoopsDawg
06-04-2017, 09:52 AM
You are wrong again today. Read my post a few above...

So you would rather pitch Denver against a 1 or 2 seed than against a 4 seed? Smart.

I said before the tournament started that we should pitch Pilk in Game 1 if we weren't willing to save him for Game 3 if we lose.

I seen it dawg
06-04-2017, 09:53 AM
So you would rather pitch Denver against a 1 or 2 seed than against a 4 seed? Smart.

I said before the tournament started that we should pitch Pilk in Game 1 if we weren't willing to save him for Game 3 if we lose.

You still don't get it..lol....it doesn't ****ing matter who we play. Jackson st or ole miss isn't in this bracket.

Todd4State
06-04-2017, 02:33 PM

That one or three seed in this case isn't going to be pitching their ace against us either.