PDA

View Full Version : Couple of random thoughts on baseball

CadaverDawg
06-03-2017, 01:11 AM
To me there are 3 main things that changed near the end of the regular season, which led to a disappointing finish.

1) Walks. Yes, we walked hitters all year, but lately they have come in bunches. And when we have a guy lose command now, it's nothing for him to walk 3-4 straight or until we pull him. Walks lead to runs, and we're giving them away like we're rewarded for it.

2) Opposite field approach, or any approach. Early in the SEC season our guys were all looking to go up the middle and the other way, and letting their instincts do the work and turn on inside mistakes....we've stopped. When guys look up the middle and away, good things happen...like Cody Brown's triple tonight. Stop trying to pull outside pitches. And aggression is fine, as long as you're smart with it....swinging at pitches out of the zone every single at bat, is dumb aggression (Jake Mangum). Our top 5 guys have to quit trying to win it with one swing every at bat, and realize that we need them on base. If that means walking, walk...and if they make a mistake punish them. But quit gifting them easy outs.

3) We're spent. We have a thin roster and thin pitching staff. And you see some of what exhaustion does in #1 and #2 in this post. We're on fumes, and being tired leads to lack of control in pitching, and lazy swings at the plate leading to pop ups.

At this point I think we just stay positive and look at all of this as icing on the cake...hope we can beat UIC, and then 1 game at a time. It's highly unlikely that we win 2 more games, much less the Regional....but we know these guys won't go quietly, and we could always be sitting at the house like Ole Miss and other shit programs like them.

So I say, Screw it. Let's win tomorrow and put the pressure back on USA & USM to see who's going to be the one to take down the big guy. We're playing with house money, so let's take down as many as we can before we hit the ground.

HailState

Todd4State
06-03-2017, 02:15 AM
Those are some good thoughts.

1) Most of the walks are because our guys that are actually healthy are young. Plumlee and Jolley are two guys that we recruited because they can throw hard and they're the kind of guys that you hope to develop. They weren't expected to be immediate contributors like they have been. Gordon is a position player who has done OK at times. Billingsley is the most mature guy we have that has been somewhat effective- but he's more of a match-up guy maybe a midweek starter on the high end but we're having to ask him to make major contributions. McQuary is a freshman and he just isn't ready yet. Most of the mounting injuries have forced us to extend these guys- and that usually leads to bad results because they get tired and an outing that looks promising like Plumlee's tonight where he gets out of a bases loaded jam with no outs- normally he maybe goes an inning more and that's it. But because we're short handed we have to extend him and an inning or two later he gives up a three run home run. And that hurt his confidence down the road instead of it being something to totally build off of. Also, a lot of teams know that we lead the SEC in walks. And you better believe that in the scouting reports on almost all of our guys "take until you get a strike or two" is on just about every one of them. We probably got some teams to beat themselves at times earlier in the season but you can only get away with that for so long. I'm 100% sure that command is going to be a point of emphasis for us in the offseason and that should get better.

2) I think that's mainly from guys trying to do too much. We were having a good season and then all of a sudden we're in first place but we have some obvious shortcomings. The hitters know the situation with the pitchers and they know that they are going to allow runs. I think that may have caused some guys to try to be the team hero when as you said sometimes a walk is sufficient. We also have some guys that aren't making adjustments with their approach at all. We also have a couple of guys that are marginal SEC players and it has made our lineup top heavy. Just like not walking people will be a point of emphasis for the pitching- I imagine that being patient and walking more and having a better approach will be an emphasis in the offseason for our hitters.

3) I think Spencer Price going down in the Alabama series ultimately killed us. Before we could go say 5-6 with Pilkington or deeper and then go to Self and Price for about 2 apiece. Then we could go with McQuary/Gordon and come pretty close to getting a complete game. And then come back with TBA with Billingsley/Plumlee for the first 5-6 and then come back to Self and Price again. Price going down has caused us to rely a lot on Self and extend him and it's forcing guys to be extended and leaving gaps with our pitcher's and their roles. After Price went down, we lost to Auburn, Georgia, and got swept by LSU and now we've had the coup de grace in the SEC Tournament and right now we look like MSU baseball 2008-2010. If we have a healthy Price I think our season finishes much differently- and possibly even with another SEC Title.

In the offseason we need our pitchers to get healthy. Who knows who we can and can't count on at this point? If Blake Smith and Rigby return to form that will help Price and Self out a lot next year. We need Pilkington to turn the corner and become as dominant as Stratton and Hudson were as juniors- I think he's doing that and he's ahead of both at the same point in their careers. We need Ashcraft to get healthy and step up into a weekend role.

We're going to need Skelton to step it up and the JUCO guy- Marshall Gilbert needs to adjust pretty quickly.

Another thing is we need some of these incoming freshmen to come in and take some spots in the field or at the very least force some guys to improve through competition.

The fact that we will be on the road a lot worries me a little bit. USM is going to lose some guys to the draft and graduation- but that's going to be a huge series for them starting the year. Texas Tech in Lubbock should be difficult. The Houston Tournament will be fun- and if we can beat Houston we could very well get all three games with ULL and Sam Houston State.

I just hope someone in the AD has the foresight to schedule some of these road games in Pearl or Biloxi. At least we'll have a home crowd at those games.

In the moment hopefully Pilkington pitches well and then we will face someone's number three guy with our number three guy.

msbulldog
06-03-2017, 06:21 AM
Damn boys that's 'War and Peace' between ya'll.

shoeless joe
06-03-2017, 08:42 AM
Not sure why your point out mangum in your point about trying to pull. He barreled up pitches on the outer half every time I saw him hit last nite...they just didn't fall.

But the bottom line is what I was saying back in early April, the way we were winning wasnt sustainable. And when it gets to nut cuttin time the weaknesses always jump to the forefront. Also, a team that wins by stick swinging comebacks is inevitably going to cool off, especially in postseason when the big time arms are on the bump.

But I do agree about just enjoying the ride all year with this group. It has been fun and I think is a good omen for the future with cann. No reason to lose our minds about this regional...gotta get some arms ready for next year

WPDawg
06-03-2017, 08:54 AM
thank goodness we have some concerned dawgs willing to go the extra mile day after day and analyze what is happening on the field and in the program. They are even willing to re-analyze what their analysis was from the day before. that's a lot of hard work and must be monotonous but they continue to plow ahead like good bulldogs giving their best to bring success to the program. Thanks Concerned Dawgs.

My analysis is much more shallow. Beautiful night for baseball last night. Great turnout by Bulldog fans to support the Baseball Dawgs. Just not enough firepower and or experience in the lineup or on the mound to seemingly make a run this year. Good accomplishment to be in a regional and any experience for the younger guys is a building block for the future. Let's play as long as we can and then began prep for next year. Go Dawgs.

Tbonewannabe
06-03-2017, 09:44 AM
This year just comes down to having 2 or 3 guys being ready to pitch. The rest are either more mid week guys or are pitching a lot more innings than they are effective. We are having guys that might be a match up guy trying to stretch out 2-4 innings. The fact that we made a Regional with 2/3 of a roster is purely amazing. Canny has done pretty much the best he could with what he had to work with.

I seen it dawg
06-03-2017, 10:35 AM
We shouldn't be here right now and major achievement we are in a regional with this roster.

But I could ****ing kill henderson for not challenging guys that go to the mound to throw strikes. It's gone on all season and nothing has improved. It's bullshit.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-03-2017, 10:47 AM
I think next year will be a complete rebuild... very few players on this year's roster will be on next year's roster...Stovall is only infield player that will be holdover.... I think Gridley/Bragg get drafted... I think LA moves on...new catcher, 2 of 3 outfielders will be new... new pitching coach(I get vibes Henderson will be moving on) staff will look a lot different as well depending on the TJ guys health .

shoeless joe
06-03-2017, 12:11 PM
We shouldn't be here right now and major achievement we are in a regional with this roster.

But I could ****ing kill henderson for not challenging guys that go to the mound to throw strikes. It's gone on all season and nothing has improved. It's bullshit.

?????

I'm sure throwing strikes wasn't a focus?!?!?

I seen it dawg
06-03-2017, 12:21 PM
?????

I'm sure throwing strikes wasn't a focus?!?!?

Not effective enough. When it happens over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....and over....something ain't working and it's the pitching coaches job to make it happen.

shoeless joe
06-03-2017, 04:44 PM
Not effective enough. When it happens over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....and over....something ain't working and it's the pitching coaches job to make it happen.

Any suggestions?

While I don't disagree that our pitching was frustrating to watch I think it was more a product of talent versus hendersons approach. IMO it's his approach that had us as successful as we were.

Todd4State
06-03-2017, 05:02 PM
Damn boys that's 'War and Peace' between ya'll.

Which one of us is War and which one is Peace?

Choctaw Dawg
06-03-2017, 05:47 PM
Those are some good thoughts.

1) Most of the walks are because our guys that are actually healthy are young. Plumlee and Jolley are two guys that we recruited because they can throw hard and they're the kind of guys that you hope to develop. They weren't expected to be immediate contributors like they have been. Gordon is a position player who has done OK at times. Billingsley is the most mature guy we have that has been somewhat effective- but he's more of a match-up guy maybe a midweek starter on the high end but we're having to ask him to make major contributions. McQuary is a freshman and he just isn't ready yet. Most of the mounting injuries have forced us to extend these guys- and that usually leads to bad results because they get tired and an outing that looks promising like Plumlee's tonight where he gets out of a bases loaded jam with no outs- normally he maybe goes an inning more and that's it. But because we're short handed we have to extend him and an inning or two later he gives up a three run home run. And that hurt his confidence down the road instead of it being something to totally build off of. Also, a lot of teams know that we lead the SEC in walks. And you better believe that in the scouting reports on almost all of our guys "take until you get a strike or two" is on just about every one of them. We probably got some teams to beat themselves at times earlier in the season but you can only get away with that for so long. I'm 100% sure that command is going to be a point of emphasis for us in the offseason and that should get better.

2) I think that's mainly from guys trying to do too much. We were having a good season and then all of a sudden we're in first place but we have some obvious shortcomings. The hitters know the situation with the pitchers and they know that they are going to allow runs. I think that may have caused some guys to try to be the team hero when as you said sometimes a walk is sufficient. We also have some guys that aren't making adjustments with their approach at all. We also have a couple of guys that are marginal SEC players and it has made our lineup top heavy. Just like not walking people will be a point of emphasis for the pitching- I imagine that being patient and walking more and having a better approach will be an emphasis in the offseason for our hitters.

3) I think Spencer Price going down in the Alabama series ultimately killed us. Before we could go say 5-6 with Pilkington or deeper and then go to Self and Price for about 2 apiece. Then we could go with McQuary/Gordon and come pretty close to getting a complete game. And then come back with TBA with Billingsley/Plumlee for the first 5-6 and then come back to Self and Price again. Price going down has caused us to rely a lot on Self and extend him and it's forcing guys to be extended and leaving gaps with our pitcher's and their roles. After Price went down, we lost to Auburn, Georgia, and got swept by LSU and now we've had the coup de grace in the SEC Tournament and right now we look like MSU baseball 2008-2010. If we have a healthy Price I think our season finishes much differently- and possibly even with another SEC Title.

In the offseason we need our pitchers to get healthy. Who knows who we can and can't count on at this point? If Blake Smith and Rigby return to form that will help Price and Self out a lot next year. We need Pilkington to turn the corner and become as dominant as Stratton and Hudson were as juniors- I think he's doing that and he's ahead of both at the same point in their careers. We need Ashcraft to get healthy and step up into a weekend role.

We're going to need Skelton to step it up and the JUCO guy- Marshall Gilbert needs to adjust pretty quickly.

Another thing is we need some of these incoming freshmen to come in and take some spots in the field or at the very least force some guys to improve through competition.

The fact that we will be on the road a lot worries me a little bit. USM is going to lose some guys to the draft and graduation- but that's going to be a huge series for them starting the year. Texas Tech in Lubbock should be difficult. The Houston Tournament will be fun- and if we can beat Houston we could very well get all three games with ULL and Sam Houston State.

I just hope someone in the AD has the foresight to schedule some of these road games in Pearl or Biloxi. At least we'll have a home crowd at those games.

In the moment hopefully Pilkington pitches well and then we will face someone's number three guy with our number three guy.

Blake Smith is a Senior and i don't think he redshirted. Don't be surprised if Rigby transfers either, hear he's not a fan of Henderson.

Todd4State
06-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Blake Smith is a Senior and i don't think he redshirted. Don't be surprised if Rigby transfers either, hear he's not a fan of Henderson.

Smith is going to apply for a medical redshirt. I've heard the Rigby rumor and we'll see what happens with that. He might want to be patient because I could see Henderson possibly moving on after this year.

I seen it dawg
06-03-2017, 11:22 PM
Any suggestions?

While I don't disagree that our pitching was frustrating to watch I think it was more a product of talent versus hendersons approach. IMO it's his approach that had us as successful as we were.

I'm of the belief you can make guys at this level throw it over the plate. They somehow had the talent to get this far. It's not like it's talent to throw it over. The talent is what your movement is, your velocity, the way you command the edges of the zone. Throwing the ball over the plate is high school shit.

msstate7
06-03-2017, 11:24 PM
I'm of the belief you can make guys at this level throw it over the plate. They somehow had the talent to get this far. It's not like it's talent to throw it over. The talent is what your movement is, your velocity, the way you command the edges of the zone. Throwing the ball over the plate is high school shit.

Then why are you mad at Henderson? You think he's telling them to not throw it over the plate?