06-02-2017, 10:03 PM
Anything else would be dumb

I would've been stunned if he wasnt

HoopsDawg
06-02-2017, 10:04 PM
So dumb. Oh well.

Choctaw Dawg
06-02-2017, 10:05 PM
offense needs to show up early so we can get him out early, i'm talking like 12-0 early. But UIC is no slouch and we have our work cut out for us

CadaverDawg
06-02-2017, 10:06 PM
offense needs to show up early so we can get him out early, i'm talking like 12-0 early. But UIC is no slouch and we have our work cut out for us

Our offense couldn't score 12 runs against Pisgah right now

HoopsDawg
06-02-2017, 10:10 PM

This should be proof to everyone it's the wrong move.

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 10:11 PM
This should be proof to everyone it's the wrong move.

So what's the right move?

MarketingBully
06-02-2017, 10:15 PM
This makes sense. You are now in the elimination round where you play every game like it is your last. You start the guy who gives you the best chance to win.

Choctaw Dawg
06-02-2017, 10:21 PM
Our offense couldn't score 12 runs against Pisgah right now

Yep, we gotta score some runs some kind of bad tomorrow though

Johnson85
06-02-2017, 10:23 PM

The right move could be starting pill in the first game. The right move could be starting pilk in the first game after we win a game. I have a little trouble figuring out how starting pilk in tomorrow's game could be the right move.

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 10:25 PM
The right move could be starting pill in the first game. The right move could be starting pilk in the first game after we win a game. I have a little trouble figuring out how starting pilk in tomorrow's game could be the right move.

I don't get the wait until game 3.

Todd4State
06-02-2017, 10:27 PM

I don't either.

Dawg61
06-02-2017, 10:27 PM

https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/0440/29/1449510730323.gif

Pilk has to start game 2. Bats need to show up tomorrow too. 3 runs vs that trash USA pitcher is all kinds of embarrassing.

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 10:32 PM
https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/0440/29/1449510730323.gif

Pilk has to start game 2. Bats need to show up tomorrow too. 3 runs vs that trash USA pitcher is all kinds of embarrassing.

Lol yep

Johnson85
06-02-2017, 10:37 PM

Starting him tomorrow seems like an admission that not starting him today was a mistake. The reason you save him is you think you need to win a game without him. We still need to win the same number of games now as we did this morning. True, we'll get to go against somebody's number three if we win tomorrow, but that would have been the case if we had won the first and lost the second, so if that's the logic you go all out to stay on the winners bracket.

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 10:39 PM
Starting him tomorrow seems like an admission that not starting him today was a mistake. The reason you save him is you think you need to win a game without him. We still need to win the same number of games now as we did this morning. True, we'll get to go against somebody's number three if we win tomorrow, but that would have been the case if we had won the first and lost the second, so if that's the logic you go all out to stay on the winners bracket.

So save him til game 5...

lamont
06-02-2017, 10:40 PM
Starting Pilk against a 4-seed's #2 basically ends your chances of winning the Regional. It's a no-brainer to start Denver against UIC.

Totally disagree with this move. So what you win Game 2 but lose Game 3? You have accomplished nothing

Todd4State
06-02-2017, 10:42 PM

The whole strategy behind holding him back is if your Gordon screws up the first game you almost guarantee yourself a chance to get through the first round of the loser's bracket and at that point you're throwing your three against someone else's three. So, it's almost a wash. You're basically gambling at getting a big advantage because if our guys hadn't screwed up tonight we almost guarantee ourselves a spot in the regional final. If it gets screwed up, it's almost like you threw your number one and lost game two anyway.

Johnson85
06-02-2017, 10:44 PM
So save him til game 5...

Im not saying saving him is the right move, just that it's hard to argue playing him tomorrow is the right move without admitting that saving him was the wrong move.

Only argument is if you were opposite a team with two lock down starters. Even then, it seems like the risk/reward for saving him again after losing the first game would be similar.

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 10:48 PM
Starting Pilk against a 4-seed's #2 basically ends your chances of winning the Regional. It's a no-brainer to start Denver against UIC.

Totally disagree with this move. So what you win Game 2 but lose Game 3? You have accomplished nothing

It's a 4 seed that is better than us right now...you lose game 2 there is no game 3.

By this why start Pilk in game 3? Shouldn't he be saved until game 5? We are riding guys that we have zero trust that can win so you may as well do that until the winner take all final. Denver game 2, Billingsley game 3, wholestaff game 4, Pilk in game 5. If you don't pitch him against UIC then may as well wait and hope we get to usm or USA Sunday night winner take all.

UIC IS NOT Jackson St or Ole Miss. If we pitch Denver and the Denver shows up that we've seen just about every time then UIC will beat us. Can't trust him. I want to be able to run Denver out there and trust he will throw strikes and win, but what has anybody seen that he will do that? Nothing because he hasn't. It's a HOPE. Which we can't afford to trust at this point. It's now survival mode and hope doesn't go far.

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 10:49 PM
Im not saying saving him is the right move, just that it's hard to argue playing him tomorrow is the right move without admitting that saving him was the wrong move.

Only argument is if you were opposite a team with two lock down starters. Even then, it seems like the risk/reward for saving him again after losing the first game would be similar.

Who gives a shit what anybody thinks if tonite was the right or wrong move. Flush it it's ****ing done and over.

Everyone we have faced the last couple of weeks is a lockdown starter.

Johnson85
06-02-2017, 10:49 PM
The whole strategy behind holding him back is if your Gordon screws up the first game you almost guarantee yourself a chance to get through the first round of the loser's bracket and at that point you're throwing your three against someone else's three. So, it's almost a wash. You're basically gambling at getting a big advantage because if our guys hadn't screwed up tonight we almost guarantee ourselves a spot in the regional final. If it gets screwed up, it's almost like you threw your number one and lost game two anyway.

Fair enough but I'd still lean towards either a strategy of trying maximizing the chances of staying out of the losers bracket as long as possible or trying to 'steal' a game against a weaker seed, barring a particularly nasty matchup with the #2 starter of the 1 seed.

lamont
06-02-2017, 10:55 PM
It's a 4 seed that is better than us right now...you lose game 2 there is no game 3.

By this why start Pilk in game 3? Shouldn't he be saved until game 5? We are riding guys that we have zero trust that can win so you may as well do that until the winner take all final. Denver game 2, Billingsley game 3, wholestaff game 4, Pilk in game 5. If you don't pitch him against UIC then may as well wait and hope we get to usm or USA Sunday night winner take all.

UIC IS NOT Jackson St or Ole Miss. If we pitch Denver and the Denver shows up that we've seen just about every time then UIC will beat us. Can't trust him. I want to be able to run Denver out there and trust he will throw strikes and win, but what has anybody seen that he will do that? Nothing because he hasn't. It's a HOPE. Which we can't afford to trust at this point. It's now survival mode and hope doesn't go far.

All that is white noise. You start Denver vs UIC and hope you get a win against them. You have to play the odds that you are better than the 4-seed. Its about winning the Regional- not just winning a game. Then start Pilk against the loser from the winner's bracket. That gets you to the Finals. You pitch Pilk in Game 2? No chance to make the Finals.

Skydawg1
06-02-2017, 10:56 PM
We could start Pilk tomorrow and still lose because our hitting is absolutely atroucious right now. I know AC is the hitting coach but what are you going to tell your top 2 hitters when one is last seasons batting champ and the other is a Triple Crown/Golden Spikes candidate? Jeez, I'd hate to be in AC's shoes.

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 11:01 PM
All that is white noise. You start Denver vs UIC and hope you get a win against them. You have to play the odds that you are better than the 4-seed. Its about winning the Regional- not just winning a game. Then start Pilk against the loser from the winner's bracket. That gets you to the Finals. You pitch Pilk in Game 2? No chance to make the Finals.

You start Denver tomorrow and he walks 6 guys in 2 innings and we are down 4-0 then what? No chance to play Sunday much less sniff a final. Im trying to win the regional but you can't do that if you don't give yourself the best chance to win tomorrow. If we don't walk 100 guys again tonite then no one is having this discussion. I'm gonna trust Pilk to ram it in their ass so I can HOPE Denver can win Sunday. If Denver throws strikes he mauls anyone in this regional. But he won't throw strikes. Therefore I can't trust him tomorrow. Sunday I have no choice so I'll run him out there then and HOPE.

The Federalist Engineer
06-02-2017, 11:02 PM
The Nut-Up move is to start McQ tomorrow and just fight like hell. Same Pilk for the USM/USA elimination game...Or start Self against UIC

lamont
06-02-2017, 11:05 PM
You start Denver tomorrow and he walks 6 guys in 2 innings and we are down 4-0 then what? No chance to play Sunday much less sniff a final. Im trying to win the regional but you can't do that if you don't give yourself the best chance to win tomorrow. If we don't walk 100 guys again tonite then no one is having this discussion. I'm gonna trust Pilk to ram it in their ass so I can HOPE Denver can win Sunday. If Denver throws strikes he mauls anyone in this regional. But he won't throw strikes. Therefore I can't trust him tomorrow. Sunday I have no choice so I'll run him out there then and HOPE.

You are an SEC-level pitching coach- but I just disagree. Throwing Pilk is the cover your ass play. If Denver walks 6 in 2 innings in Game 3? You lose badly there anyway. At least pitch Denver against a shittier team that he may somehow get away with things like that.

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 11:05 PM
If you're gonna save Pilk then save him for game 5 winner take all. You're gonna have to win 3 games with wholestaff to win the regional anyway so saving Pilk to game 5 gives us the best chance to win the last game. By the save Pilk to game 3 logic...

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 11:08 PM
You are an SEC-level pitching coach- but I just disagree. Throwing Pilk is the cover your ass play. If Denver walks 6 in 2 innings in Game 3? You lose badly there anyway. At least pitch Denver against a shittier team that he may somehow get away with things like that.

And that's ok we disagree. If im gonna get beat tomorrow it's gonna be with the guy I trust the most because I have a choice. Sunday there is no choice except between 2 guys that walk everyone. I put more stock in what I SAW out of UIC today than they are justmyour run of the mill 4 seed. Also taking into account we can't hit me right now. I desperately want to save Pilk bc logically I agree with the move to get us to the finals. But everything I'm seeing at this moment I can't do it.

CadaverDawg
06-02-2017, 11:12 PM
UIC IS NOT Jackson St or Ole Miss.

My man

Choctaw Dawg
06-02-2017, 11:13 PM
The Nut-Up move is to start McQ tomorrow and just fight like hell. Same Pilk for the USM/USA elimination game...Or start Self against UIC

We've been saying start self all year and I honestly won't see him getting a starting nod no matter how many pitchers we've burned. I badly want Self to start next year though

Intramural All-American
06-02-2017, 11:15 PM

That's absolutely false. You don't go into a tournament with a loser mentality thinking about "what if we lose game 1". The strategy behind pitching Gordon in game 1 was because we thought we could beat USA with our #2, which in turn would save our ace for the #1 seed to put us in the championship series with saving our whole johnny whole staff. Period. The reason you just gave is absolute BS, and it's you trying to contort the argument to fit your narrative.

The best chance we have to beat UIC is to throw Pilk. True. However, that also gives us the least chance of winning the regional. Beating UIC is not the goal. Winning the regional is. So you have to save pilk. If we can't beat UIC with McQ, we aren't beating USM or USA either with him.

Let's face it though, we are toast.

Intramural All-American
06-02-2017, 11:19 PM
If you're gonna save Pilk then save him for game 5 winner take all. You're gonna have to win 3 games with wholestaff to win the regional anyway so saving Pilk to game 5 gives us the best chance to win the last game. By the save Pilk to game 3 logic...

That's not the same at all. Winning game 3 with pilk, means we are facing someone else's number 3 with our number 4. If we saved pilk for 5, we would be facing someone's 3 with our 5. The more games that are played, the more pitching everyone else uses up too. But wasting pilk in game 2 gives us no advantage at all.

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 11:21 PM
That's not the same at all. Winning game 3 with pilk, means we are facing someone else's number 3 with our number 4. If we saved pilk for 5, we would be facing someone's 3 with our 5. The more games that are played, the more pitching everyone else uses up too. But wasting pilk in game 2 gives us no advantage at all.

I obviously disagree totally. No need to rehash it.

confucius say
06-02-2017, 11:23 PM
Unless we start swinging the damn stick, it doesn't matter who pitches when. At this rate, we'll need pilk and Self to beat uic.

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 11:24 PM
Why didn't we just start Denver tonite?

tcdog70
06-02-2017, 11:25 PM
Once you are in the losers bracket it is then one game at a time. You do whatever to win that 1 game. Pitch your best and then worry about the next game after you advance. I might consider pitching Self and if we could get a nice lead pull Him. If not burn Him down. The deal is, we have to ****ing hit. We can win this by knocking the piss out of the baseball.

Intramural All-American
06-02-2017, 11:27 PM
I obviously disagree totally. No need to rehash it.

I mean we can agree to disagree on tactics and merit. I'm just pointing out that your logic is flawed in that particular instance. We disagree about starting pilk tomorrow. I see your point, and I'm sure you see mine, we just disagree on this particular game. Your comment about saving him til game 5 is either trolling or not educated.

Intramural All-American
06-02-2017, 11:29 PM

Denver, Cole, and Billingsley are all interchangeable to me, so I would have been fine with that. My pick honestly would have been Plumlee coming in, but Cole pitched extremely well last outing, so he got the ball.

BuckyIsAB****
06-02-2017, 11:32 PM

You gotta win tomorrow to even make a game 3. Dont get why you wouldnt start him

confucius say
06-02-2017, 11:32 PM

You want people to say bc he can't throw strikes? So you then say wth start him tomorrow? I see your point, but I would take the route that gives us the best chance to win 4 games in 3 days, and throwing pilk against uic ain't it. Personally, I'd throw JB tomorrow.

CJDAWG85
06-03-2017, 12:32 AM
Nothing matters when you can't hit and only score 3 runs.

Skydawg1
06-03-2017, 12:48 AM
Nothing matters when you can't hit and only score 3 runs.I mean, what else can be said? Our offense has been dogshit lately.

basedog
06-03-2017, 07:29 AM
The only reason we are better than UIC "today" is start Pilk which Cann will do.

Going into the South Alabama game thinking we were better is and was foolish, we have been in a tail spin after the Aggies weekend.

Today it's win at all cost, there is no tomorrow when you lose, saving any player for another day is foolish at this point.

Weather probably will play a big factor the rest of the regional for everyone.

I don't think we can score 5 or 6 runs, we just can't or don't clutch hit, I was afraid this was gonna happen.

Btw, our players look tired, which am sure they are from all the injuries that occurred.

Ari Gold
06-03-2017, 08:34 AM
it doesn't matter... even if we save Pilk for game 5 still have to win 2 more after that. Plus we will be facing USA or USM no.3 and weekday guys anyway. McQ and Billingsly both pitch well then we can always bring Gordon back for the finals on Monday. What was his ****ing pitch count yesterday like 50?? So he has a lot left in the tank..
Have to score runs.. we score runs we will be fine.

yjnkdawg
06-03-2017, 09:20 AM

Agree

yjnkdawg
06-03-2017, 09:23 AM
Crap. This regional is now over.

The regional is over for us if we don't win today. Save Pilk and lose today. What have we accomplished?

yjnkdawg
06-03-2017, 09:31 AM

If we lose game 2 , then we don't have to worry about who is going to pitch game 3. I agree with Spider, that you have to play one game at a time..

I seen it dawg
06-03-2017, 10:28 AM
I mean we can agree to disagree on tactics and merit. I'm just pointing out that your logic is flawed in that particular instance. We disagree about starting pilk tomorrow. I see your point, and I'm sure you see mine, we just disagree on this particular game. Your comment about saving him til game 5 is either trolling or not educated.

It's not flawed and there's no doubt it's not being uneducated

I seen it dawg
06-03-2017, 10:31 AM
it doesn't matter... even if we save Pilk for game 5 still have to win 2 more after that. Plus we will be facing USA or USM no.3 and weekday guys anyway. McQ and Billingsly both pitch well then we can always bring Gordon back for the finals on Monday. What was his ****ing pitch count yesterday like 50?? So he has a lot left in the tank..
Have to score runs.. we score runs we will be fine.

Game 5 would be the winner take all after beating winners bracket team once. Our game 5 is the last game.

Intramural All-American
06-03-2017, 10:51 AM
It's not flawed and there's no doubt it's not being uneducated

Then you just aren't smart. Simple as that. I could see someone making a case to save him til game 4. It's a weak case, but there is a little logic involved. But saying you should throw someone against USM in game 4 other than him literally makes 0 sense. I have faith that you are smarter than that and are just trolling at this point.

BB30
06-03-2017, 11:10 AM
You throw Pilk it's an elimination game. You run your best out there and find a way to make the games after work. Looks real stupid it you go 2 and Q and never throw your ace. He should have thrown last night.

NCDawg
06-03-2017, 11:17 AM
Bottom line is that it's tough to win a championship when you have only one pitcher you can count on. In addition, it's doubly hard when there are weak hitters in the lineup, and most of our hitters continue to choke when we have men in scoring position.

I seen it dawg
06-03-2017, 12:18 PM
Then you just aren't smart. Simple as that. I could see someone making a case to save him til game 4. It's a weak case, but there is a little logic involved. But saying you should throw someone against USM in game 4 other than him literally makes 0 sense. I have faith that you are smarter than that and are just trolling at this point.

Im totally comfortable that you feel this way.

CadaverDawg
06-03-2017, 12:47 PM
Well, there's no going back now, but it looks like every game will get bumped back, so we may have benefitted from pitching Pilk last night after all. USM and USA are not only sitting in the winners bracket, but they're in position to have their Aces available for a Championship game if rain pushes things back a day or two. Meanwhile, here we sit in the losers bracket, haven't used our Ace so his next action will be his only action, and the rain has moved in so there's no guarantees his only start won't get shortened due to rain. Just all around worst case scenario for this team.

I know we likely weren't winning this Regional anyway....but the way things sit right now, if we found a way to win this thing or even make it to the Championship round it would be an amazing feat

I seen it dawg
06-05-2017, 09:53 AM
Gonna go ahead and get a shameless bump on this one...

Dawg61
06-05-2017, 10:42 AM
Gonna go ahead and get a shameless bump on this one...

Billingsley Self game 1

Gordon Pilk game 2