Barkman Turner Overdrive
06-02-2017, 09:23 PM
NFM

Goldendawg
06-02-2017, 09:30 PM
We are the only SEC team to lose today.

lamont
06-02-2017, 09:32 PM
what happens with alot of injuries and inconsistent recruiting.

Cann has done an incredible job with this team

Bothrops
06-02-2017, 09:38 PM

Not to mention too much early attrition from last season.

Goldendawg
06-02-2017, 09:39 PM
Yeah, the majority of our wins have been come from behind. Short on players and pitching. Still want to win tomorrow. Hail State!

raymond21
06-02-2017, 09:43 PM
Lack of recruiting is the biggest issue. Where is Gridley's class? South Al pitcher was from Hinds Jr Colege. Compare him to the JC pitchers on our staff

Bully13
06-02-2017, 09:47 PM
Cohen, Mullen and Cann need to be forced to display a picture on their office wall of a South Alabama Jaguar humping an English Bulldog Doggy style with both paws digging in the claws pulling the head back.

They should be ashamed and.embarassed. they failed miserably and by no means defined as acceptable.

Todd4State
06-02-2017, 09:48 PM
Lack of recruiting is the biggest issue. Where is Gridley's class? South Al pitcher was from Hinds Jr Colege. Compare him to the JC pitchers on our staff

Gridley's class was a black hole. He, Cole Gordon, and I think Lovelady was in that class- are likely going to be the only contributors out of it. Easily Cohen's worst class- and it was an issue this year and in 2015 as well as there were no immediate impact guys.

That is something that does get overlooked because the pitching injuries are so glaring this year.

Choctaw Dawg
06-02-2017, 09:49 PM

Gridley and Mahoney are the only ones left from the 2014 class we brought in. I guess Cohen took an off year and thought our CWS run would do the recruiting itself.

Todd4State
06-02-2017, 09:50 PM

USM and LSU and whoever else wants to talk shit to us better enjoy it now. If Cann can recruit and retain players as good as his reputation claims- and I think he will- this could very well be the worst team we have for a few years.

Todd4State
06-02-2017, 09:52 PM
Gridley and Mahoney are the only ones left from the 2014 class we brought in. I guess Cohen took an off year and thought our CWS run would do the recruiting itself.

That was the class where we slow played Will Stokes and he ended up going to Ole Miss.

Choctaw Dawg
06-02-2017, 09:53 PM
USM and LSU and whoever else wants to talk shit to us better enjoy it now. If Cann can recruit and retain players as good as his reputation claims- and I think he will- this could very well be the worst team we have for a few years.

Seriously, the SEC isn't prepared for the hell we're about to inflict on recruiting and trophys we will be bringing in.

JEDdawg 12
06-02-2017, 09:53 PM

I agre totally that cann has done an incredible job and not a knock on him, but the wheels have fell off the last few weeks!! Inconsistency all the way around from top to bottom. Went from having a chance to win the sec overall to losing to USA Today!! Seems we've hit a big time slump at the wrong time from pitching and hitting. Still proud of this group but disappointed at the same time. Nobody can seem to step up when we need it most. We've just ran out of luck it appears

Bully13
06-02-2017, 09:54 PM
17 this shit. Just beat the jags in a regional. Good grief.

Choctaw Dawg
06-02-2017, 09:56 PM
I agre totally that cann has done an incredible job and not a knock on him, but the wheels have fell off the last few weeks!! Inconsistency all the way around from top to bottom. Went from having a chance to win the sec overall to losing to USA Today!! Seems we've hit a big time slump at the wrong time from pitching and hitting. Still proud of this group but disappointed at the same time. Nobody can seem to step up when we need it most. We've just ran out of luck it appears

Well, when you pitch the same 7 pitchers for three games a weekend and a few midweeks because we don't have anyone else, than you will see some tired arms. I can't speak for the hitting, its been in spurts all year.

Apoplectic
06-02-2017, 09:57 PM
yea!!!! wait till next year*

-signed,
every MSU team

Choctaw Dawg
06-02-2017, 09:58 PM
yea!!!! wait till next year*

-signed,
every MSU team
It eventually paid off for the Cubs lol

Todd4State
06-02-2017, 10:01 PM

I looked back at that class.

We brought in 7 high school guys and 9 JUCO's.

That was the class where we lost Dale Burdick in the 40th round. We can't have that happen.

Gridley and Gordon look like the only guys who will contribute from the high school ranks.

Stover is at Vandy, McCord at Samford, Mahoney got hurt and came back and hasn't shown a lot of promise thus far, Aaron Dominguez and Taylor Stafford flamed out in JUCO ball after not making the team.

The JUCO guys? Daniel Brown- up and down for us and finished out as a decent relief pitcher. Lovelady- started his senior year and had a lot of injuries. Holland started for us last year and was actually beat out by Stovall but started because Stovall got hurt.

The rest of the JUCO's- Matt Spruill, Luke Reynolds who got hot but hasn't done anything at USM, Michael Smith- decent fourth OF, Logan Elliott, Cole Barlow, and Trent Waddell

MarketingBully
06-02-2017, 10:02 PM
That was the class where we slow played Will Stokes and he ended up going to Ole Miss.

If we can just keep the losses to 3-4 guys to the draft in this class, we could have a very talented roster for even next year. I'm excited about guys like Reed and I think he can come in here and help replace some of the power we will lose with Rooker. Is it a done deal that we will lose Reynaldo Rivera to the draft? If we could somehow get Reed and Rivera on campus, I would gladly take them and trade Mangum for the draft. We would have Rivera at first and Reed at center and wouldn't miss a beat with those guys at the 3 and 4 and you have more power with those two kids then we have with anyone on our team right now sans Rooker.

JEDdawg 12
06-02-2017, 10:05 PM
Well, when you pitch the same 7 pitchers for three games a weekend and a few midweeks because we don't have anyone else, than you will see some tired arms. I can't speak for the hitting, its been in spurts all year.

That it is very true, the injuries we had this year to pitchers definitely affected us I believe but it's still you're job as a pitcher to throw strikes and let your defense work behind you not walk 8-10 batters a game just be competitive. Hits are hits but losing a game or games because of walks sucks in my opinion. Again not taking anything away from staff just venting lol. Was really pulling for Gordon today he just didn't have it

Todd4State
06-02-2017, 10:08 PM
It eventually paid off for the Cubs lol

And the Cubs finally did it when they realized it wasn't a goat or Steve Bartman interfering with a foul ball that was tripping them up every year. They went out and hired the best GM and manager in baseball and brought in talented players.

The same basically holds true in college baseball. Get an AD that wants to win in baseball and wants to help us build the best program we can have. Get a coach from the most successful SEC program that has a lot of MLB scouting connections and follow their blueprint- something that we should have been doing since the 1990's instead of blaming the NCAA for the scholarship restrictions.

Choctaw Dawg
06-02-2017, 10:08 PM
If we can just keep the losses to 3-4 guys to the draft in this class, we could have a very talented roster for even next year. I'm excited about guys like Reed and I think he can come in here and help replace some of the power we will lose with Rooker. Is it a done deal that we will lose Reynaldo Rivera to the draft? If we could somehow get Reed and Rivera on campus, I would gladly take them and trade Mangum for the draft. We would have Rivera at first and Reed at center and wouldn't miss a beat with those guys at the 3 and 4 and you have more power with those two kids then we have with anyone on our team right now sans Rooker.

Since we signed that boy from itawamba, it basically means we fully expect him to sign.

MarketingBully
06-02-2017, 10:09 PM
Let me say this. I'd gladly trade a loss tomorrow to limit the draft damage to 1-2 guys in our class (which would be Quentin Holmes and someone else). I would consider it a win if we limit it to 3-4. If we lose 5-7, I think it's a failure. You just can't absorb that many losses in your recruiting class and be successful.

Bothrops
06-02-2017, 10:09 PM
That was the class where we lost Dale Burdick in the 40th round.

That is pitiful right there.

MarketingBully
06-02-2017, 10:10 PM
Since we signed that boy from itawamba, it basically means we fully expect him to sign.

They play different positions. I think we would have signed him regardless.

MarketingBully
06-02-2017, 10:11 PM
That was the class where we lost Dale Burdick in the 40th round.

That is pitiful right there.

Yeah. Losing a kid in the 40th round who signed for $100k is just dumb as shit.

Choctaw Dawg
06-02-2017, 10:12 PM

Since we signed that boy from Itawamba, it basically means we expect Rivera to sign and leave.

JEDdawg 12
06-02-2017, 10:13 PM

It might've already been asked but how many in the class are possible draft risks??

Todd4State
06-02-2017, 10:15 PM

I would be very surprised if we get Rey Riviera. Reed I don't think is a CF- I think he's a 1B/DH/corner OF type.

We're not going to replace Rooker just like we weren't going to replace Clark, Palmeiro, and Renfroe. Those are just special players.

Like I've been saying- I think we're going to have some freshmen play a lot next year. 2018 is going to be weird with all the road games. 2019 is the year I'm really looking at. The Tommy John guys should be back, Self, Ashcraft, and McQuary will be juniors and the freshmen will be sophomores with experience. Cann's guys will really start to come in starting 2019 moreso than next year too.

Choctaw Dawg
06-02-2017, 10:15 PM
It might've already been asked but how many in the class are possible draft risks??

3-4, Holmes and Rivera are gone. the other two are fringe that i think will not enroll

Todd4State
06-02-2017, 10:20 PM

I think we will lose one high school guy (Holmes) and then three JUCO guys (Riviera, Pearson McMahan, and maybe Troy Bacon). Jordan Anderson, Bryce Hutchinson, Jordan Westburg, and Tyreque Reed are probably in the next tier of draft risks of guys that could sign in a worst case scenario but I think they come to school. And then you have Owen Lovell, Tanner Allen, Chad Bryant, and Josh Hatcher that are all draftable talents but are likely coming to school. The rest I don't think are risks at all.

JEDdawg 12
06-02-2017, 10:33 PM
3-4, Holmes and Rivera are gone. the other two are fringe that i think will not enroll

Damn, maybe it's just me and I'm biased but I'd give my left nut to come play at a program like state with the facilities and tradition we have especially if I was a late round draft pick!! I mean seriously what's the turn over ratio of a guy being drafted out of high school and making it to the bigs versus going to college and making it to the bigs!! Seems to me there's a lot that get drafted right out high school and just wind up playing minor league ball and that's it!! Money's money and I get that but damn!!

Todd4State
06-02-2017, 10:37 PM
Damn, maybe it's just me and I'm biased but I'd give my left nut to come play at a program like state with the facilities and tradition we have especially if I was a late round draft pick!! I mean seriously what's the turn over ratio of a guy being drafted out of high school and making it to the bigs versus going to college and making it to the bigs!! Seems to me there's a lot that get drafted right out high school and just wind up playing minor league ball and that's it!! Money's money and I get that but damn!!

Well, he is from Puerto Rico.

Statistically speaking it's more ideal and you have a better chance of making it to MLB if you go to college first. And actually interestingly enough if you go straight from JUCO to MLB you have an even worse chance of making it to MLB than you do if you go straight from high school.

But some people need money desperately and have to go with the lesser odds.

JEDdawg 12
06-02-2017, 10:39 PM
I think we will lose one high school guy (Holmes) and then three JUCO guys (Riviera, Pearson McMahan, and maybe Troy Bacon). Jordan Anderson, Bryce Hutchinson, Jordan Westburg, and Tyreque Reed are probably in the next tier of draft risks of guys that could sign in a worst case scenario but I think they come to school. And then you have Owen Lovell, Tanner Allen, Chad Bryant, and Josh Hatcher that are all draftable talents but are likely coming to school. The rest I don't think are risks at all.
Thanks Todd, the ones you think we could lose to the draft are they vital position players we need and if so how do we make up for their loss in the draft if that's possible?

JEDdawg 12
06-02-2017, 10:42 PM
Well, he is from Puerto Rico.

Statistically speaking it's more ideal and you have a better chance of making it to MLB if you go to college first. And actually interestingly enough if you go straight from JUCO to MLB you have an even worse chance of making it to MLB than you do if you go straight from high school.

But some people need money desperately and have to go with the lesser odds.
Guess it's like the old saying, money talks and bull$&@! Walks lol

BuckyIsAB****
06-02-2017, 10:42 PM
Cohen, Mullen and Cann need to be forced to display a picture on their office wall of a South Alabama Jaguar humping an English Bulldog Doggy style with both paws digging in the claws pulling the head back.

They should be ashamed and.embarassed. they failed miserably and by no means defined as acceptable.

We beat them twice this year. Its baseball. Now for Mullen, you're absolutely right. That game should hang on his head forever

Todd4State
06-02-2017, 10:48 PM
Thanks Todd, the ones you think we could lose to the draft are they vital position players we need and if so how do we make up for their loss in the draft if that's possible?

I think they would put us over the top and make us a SEC title contender if we landed them. We're talking about a guy that could hit 10-15 home runs for us at first base, another weekend rotation guy and a legit closer type of guy to go along with Self and Price.

I don't really look at it as a loss if they don't come to school as much as it is a huge bonus if they do show up.