PDA

View Full Version : And that boys Is Why you play to Win Day One

Spiderman
06-02-2017, 09:20 PM
An old coach told me once , win em one at a time.

Pilk should have pitched. By the logic used today, he should pitch game 3

preachermatt83
06-02-2017, 09:20 PM
Oh good grief. There always has to be the first hindsight genius I guess.

CadaverDawg
06-02-2017, 09:22 PM
Here we go. Why can't you guys understand that it makes no difference. Gordon wasn't beating USM tomorrow if he couldn't go 3 vs USA...so we would be in the same exact spot if we beat UIC tomorrow...in the losers bracket after 2 games

Saving Pilk gave us our best shot at winning the Regional. Gordon rolled over, so we're done.

confucius say
06-02-2017, 09:24 PM
Here we go. Why can't you guys understand that it makes no difference. Gordon wasn't beating USM tomorrow if he couldn't go 3 vs USA...so we would be in the same exact spot if we beat UIC tomorrow...in the losers bracket after 2 games

Ding ding ding. Winner.

Oh, and if you didn't say you disagreed with starting Gordon in game 1 earlier this week when I gave you the opportunity to do so (2 people did), don't come with this now.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
06-02-2017, 09:25 PM

Saving Pilk gave us our best shot at winning the Regional. Gordon rolled over, so we're done.

I agree with you that Cole was our only hope. Cole vs UF was an anomaly. We saw the real Cole tonight.

Skydawg1
06-02-2017, 09:26 PM
An old coach told me once , win em one at a time.

Pilk should have pitched. By the logic used today, he should pitch game 3We have a history of coming out of the loser's bracket to win regionals. Our bats HAVE to come alive tomorrow or it's over.

lamont
06-02-2017, 09:27 PM
I agree in that Pilk is now the Game 3 SP. Denver get ready for tomorrow

msstate7
06-02-2017, 09:27 PM
We have a history of coming out of the loser's bracket to win regionals. Our bats HAVE to come alive tomorrow or it's over.

Our bats aren't cold... they're dead. Unless tonight is return of the living dead, we done

MarketingBully
06-02-2017, 09:28 PM
Meh, I was good with starting Cole game one but in all honesty if the other team's best hitters are all left handed wouldn't it be better to go with the percentages there?

CadaverDawg
We have a history of coming out of the loser's bracket to win regionals. Our bats HAVE to come alive tomorrow or it's over.

That history had pitchers in it. We have 1, and he will be done tomorrow. Save yourself the heartbreak...this team is done

msstate7

We agree? Wut!

MarketingBully

Really? Pilk starts tomorrow.

CadaverDawg
06-02-2017, 09:30 PM
Meh, I was good with starting Cole game one but in all honesty if the other team's best hitters are all left handed wouldn't it be better to go with the percentages there?

Again, not really. Cole wasn't beating USM if he can't be USA. It didn't matter. We had to hope he could win so Pilk could give us our best shot at beating USM. He didn't, so we're done.

lamont
Really? Pilk starts tomorrow.

If you need your Ace to beat the #2 of a 4 seed- then you ****ing suck and dont belong. You cant pitch Pilk in Game 2

Todd4State

THIS^^^^

CadaverDawg

No chance. Not saying we shouldn't...just saying we wont

Thick
06-02-2017, 09:31 PM
We only scored 3 runs vs a guy that might be good in the Sun Belt, but by no means has shut down stuff. 3 freaking runs vs a guy that runs an 88 mph fastball to the plate. Poor showing on the mound, but not much better by our bats.

confucius say
06-02-2017, 09:32 PM
I thought our bats let us down as much as pitching. That guy very average numbers in the sunbelt, very average stuff, and we sucked at the plate.

CadaverDawg
06-02-2017, 09:32 PM
If you need your Ace to beat the #2 of a 4 seed- then you ****ing suck and dont belong. You cant pitch Pilk in Game 2

You think the second guessers are out tonight...let us go home 0-2 without pitching Pilk and the "at least win 1" crowd will have Cann's head on a platter.

I agree you save Pilk if you want to try to win the Regional...but no way in hell Andy doesn't pitch him tomorrow as a first year coach

msstate7
06-02-2017, 09:33 PM
No chance. Not saying we shouldn't...just saying we wont

I agreed with saving pilk, but starting him tomorrow really makes me second guess Cann. If you have the balls to hold your ace vs a 3 seed, you dang sure better have em to hold him vs a 4

Todd4State
06-02-2017, 09:33 PM

Well, I hate to say it- but we probably really don't belong. Losing Price is when things started to go south. And yeah- I know he gave us a clean inning tonight. But I doubt he can go more than one and we need him to be a guy that could give us 2-3 IP and I don't know that he can. After Price went down we lost to Auburn, Georgia and LSU.

lamont
06-02-2017, 09:34 PM
You think the second guessers are out tonight...let us go home 0-2 without pitching Pilk and the "at least win 1" crowd will have Cann's head in a platter.

I agree you save Pilk if you want to try to win the Regional...but no way in hell Andy doesn't pitch tomorrow as a first year coach

Cann has a set of balls and a 4 year deal no matter what. He will do what he thinks is best to win the Regional

CadaverDawg
06-02-2017, 09:34 PM
Our bats let us down way more than pitching. Every team in the Regional scored 6+ runs today except 1.

Pedro Cerrano
06-02-2017, 09:35 PM
I didn't think it was a wise decision.

I understand the decision in that it makes some sense with a big dropoff from your #1 to #2....but I think you only do that if the 1-seed has powerhouse pitching staff, and you feel like you need a shut down effort from a starter We do not have that kind of pitching staff. And you absolutely would not have needed a shut down effort from a starter to beat us.

You would have been facing a guy from USM tomorrow who you put up five runs on earlier in the year. Granted, Braley was left in too long that game and has gotten much better over the year and you know....actually become a pitcher who doesn't just go out and throw the ball as hard as he can. But he's not a guy that was going to throw 8 innings and give up 1 run or anything. We have one reliable reliever, who really hasn't been reliable over the last month...and he just threw 40+ pitches today and probably wouldn't have been available for more than an inning or two.

Bad move.

msstate7
06-02-2017, 09:35 PM
Our bats let us down way more than pitching. Every team in the Regional scored 6+ runs today except 1.

Every team saw 4 or more pitchers except 1 too

confucius say
06-02-2017, 09:36 PM

Preach

MarketingBully
06-02-2017, 09:37 PM
You think the second guessers are out tonight...let us go home 0-2 without pitching Pilk and the "at least win 1" crowd will have Cann's head in a platter.

I agree you save Pilk if you want to try to win the Regional...but no way in hell Andy doesn't pitch tomorrow as a first year coach

We're ****ed either way. Do we even have five starters to win this thing? This was always going to be our issue is if we got in the loser's bracket after day one. We have to go 4-1 to win this thing so four wins in a row. Pilk, McQuary, JB, then who maybe Cole will get a chance to redeem himself on Monday since he didn't have that high a pitch count. The only positive is that we didn't pitch Self and Price actually pitched okay today.

Skydawg1
That history had pitchers in it. We have 1, and he will be done tomorrow. Save yourself the heartbreak...this team is doneFor sure. Just sayin'. History has a way of repeating itself. Likely, not for us this year.

CadaverDawg
Every team saw 4 or more pitchers except 1 too

Yep

confucius say
06-02-2017, 09:39 PM
Here is the answer on pilk. You do what skip bertman did with his ace. You start DM or JB tomorrow, and you get pilk in if you have to. Other option is to extend and burn Self tomorrow. But you don't start pilk tomorrow.

msstate7
06-02-2017, 09:39 PM
We're ****ed either way. Do we even have five starters to win this thing? This was always going to be our issue is if we got in the loser's bracket after day one. We have to go 4-1 to win this thing so four wins in a row. Pilk, McQuary, JB, then who maybe Cole will get a chance to redeem himself on Monday since he didn't have that high a pitch count. The only positive is that we didn't pitch Self and Price actually pitched okay today.

Our fantasy land path is...
McQ
Pilk
Billingsley/Cole

MarketingBully
06-02-2017, 09:40 PM
I agreed with saving pilk, but starting him tomorrow really makes me second guess Cann. If you have the balls to hold your ace vs a 3 seed, you dang sure better have em to hold him vs a 4

We're screwed anyway you look at it now. Our best bet was to get and stay in the winners bracket. So if we play USA again do you hold Pilk out for that one too? When would we ever pitch Pilk now?

CadaverDawg
06-02-2017, 09:41 PM
McQ
Pilk
Billingsley/Cole

Plumlee could pitch again too

MarketingBully
06-02-2017, 09:42 PM
McQ
Pilk
Billingsley/Cole

So then Pilk pitches to South Alabama anyway and you just defeated the whole purpose of saving him for the second game. This only works if you win the first game. Otherwise all bets are off and you play it one game at a time.

State82
06-02-2017, 09:43 PM

Rack him! Absolutely.

msstate7
Plumlee could pitch again too

Yeah

Todd4State
I didn't think it was a wise decision.

I understand the decision in that it makes some sense with a big dropoff from your #1 to #2....but I think you only do that if the 1-seed has powerhouse pitching staff, and you feel like you need a shut down effort from a starter We do not have that kind of pitching staff. And you absolutely would not have needed a shut down effort from a starter to beat us.

You would have been facing a guy from USM tomorrow who you put up five runs on earlier in the year. Granted, Braley was left in too long that game and has gotten much better over the year and you know....actually become a pitcher who doesn't just go out and throw the ball as hard as he can. But he's not a guy that was going to throw 8 innings and give up 1 run or anything. We have one reliable reliever, who really hasn't been reliable over the last month...and he just threw 40+ pitches today and probably wouldn't have been available for more than an inning or two.

Bad move.

We beat South Alabama with a guy that has been out of our bullpen most of the year earlier in the season. We rolled the dice and our guy shit the bed.

Dawg61
It really doesn't matter if we pitched Kershaw tonight we still don't have enough pitching to win this regional and this team's confidence lives and dies with every play. Once the leadoff hitter for USA hit a homerun on the 1st pitch of the game we already lost. Entire team's confidence went down the shitter after 1 pitch into the game. That's how fragile we are mentally as a team right now.

MarketingBully
06-02-2017, 09:48 PM
We beat South Alabama with a guy that has been out of our bullpen most of the year earlier in the season. We rolled the dice and our guy shit the bed.

I'm good with the decision and I liked the gamble. How was Cann supposed to know that one homerun would render Cole useless. My point is now you are in the loser's bracket so you now take it game by game and who gives us the best chance to win the next game. I don't agree with holding Pilk out next game because who are you holding him out for? So you can pitch him against South Alabama for the next game? Now you play to win game to game because one more loss ends your season.

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 09:48 PM
Well by the save Pilk until game 3 logic we should just save him until game 5. We tried to buy one game to get us into the final and our offense shit the bed. Now we HAVE to win the game to not be at home Sunday so we have to, at this point, pitch our best to survive.

Save Pilk to game 5 in hopes he wins the winner take all final game if you're gonna pitch him in game 3.

parabrave
06-02-2017, 09:52 PM

Dam Braves blow it with 2 outs in the B9 and state loses. Need to stay away from sharp objects tonite.

msstate7
06-02-2017, 09:53 PM
Dam Braves blow it with 2 outs in the B9 and state loses. Need to stay away from sharp objects tonite.

The braves' game was brutal.

HoopsDawg
06-02-2017, 10:03 PM
Well by the save Pilk until game 3 logic we should just save him until game 5. We tried to buy one game to get us into the final and our offense shit the bed. Now we HAVE to win the game to not be at home Sunday so we have to, at this point, pitch our best to survive.

Save Pilk to game 5 in hopes he wins the winner take all final game if you're gonna pitch him in game 3.

Dumbest reach I've ever read. You are not smart.

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 10:06 PM
Dumbest reach I've ever read. You are not smart.

So when the **** you pitch him and why Mike Bianco?

HoopsDawg
06-02-2017, 10:08 PM

Game 3 vs USM or USA. We can beat UIC with Denver.

preachermatt83
06-02-2017, 10:09 PM

Ha!!

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Game 3 vs USM or USA. We can beat UIC with Denver.

Did you watch the usm game today? UIC beats the USA pitcher tonite. You're sure the Denver that will throw it in the strike zone will show up tomorrow? In theory IF Denver pounds the strike zone, which he CANT consistently do, he can beat UIC. If we score more than 3 runs. But you can't count on that with even a remote sense of certainty so you have to pitch the guy you trust the most which is Pilk.

If I trusted Denver I run him out there but I can't so I don't. Pilk has to win then it's a shitload of hope Denver will pitch game of his life in the next one. Stuff wise Denver absolutely beats these guys, hell he beats USA. But it ain't all about stuff. You aren't real smart.

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 10:20 PM
You have ZERO ****ing chance of winning the regional if you don't win tomorrow. Winning the regional is the goal. Therefore you have to win tomorrow and to do that you have to have the guy on the mound you trust the most. Is that Pilk or Denver? I'll hang up and listen to the answer to that question.

Todd4State
06-02-2017, 10:23 PM

Damn. That left a mark.

MarketingBully
06-02-2017, 10:26 PM
You have ZERO ****ing chance of winning the regional if you don't win tomorrow. Winning the regional is the goal. Therefore you have to win tomorrow and to do that you have to have the guy on the mound you trust the most. Is that Pilk or Denver? I'll hang up and listen to the answer to that question.

Exactly I Seen It. Once you get in the loser's bracket you play one game at a time and who gives you the best chance to win. As I said before, I liked the strategy of pitching Cole the first game but that gamble didn't pay off. Now that we are in the elimination round all bets are off. Go with the guy that gives you best chance to win.

msstate7
06-02-2017, 10:26 PM

We have zero chance of winning the regional if we use our only trump card tomorrow too.

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 10:28 PM
We have zero chance of winning the regional if we use our only trump card tomorrow too.

We don't use our trump card tomorrow we have zero chance to make it to Sunday!!!!!!!!

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 10:29 PM
We don't use our trump card tomorrow we have zero chance to make it to Sunday!!!!!!!!

How in the **** can you trust Denver to beat a team that went toe to toe with the 1 seed. While we look like a 4 seed and have for weeks. It's stupid.

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 10:30 PM

Who do you trust more to perform Pilk or Denver?

msstate7
06-02-2017, 10:32 PM
Who do you trust more to perform Pilk or Denver?

Obviously pilk, but if we can't trust McQ to beat UIC, we dang sure can't count on him vs usm or USA

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 10:36 PM
Obviously pilk, but if we can't trust McQ to beat UIC, we dang sure can't count on him vs usm or USA

You can't worry about anybody else right now. It's an ELIMINATION game. Means we lose we go home. We have to worry about Sunday on Sunday.

And another thing...Pilk may absolutely shit the bed tomorrow...and if he does so be it but at least you can trust his track record. Denver has a track record of taking a shit on the mound and throwing it at the plate. I'm taking Pilk to get me to Sunday. Denver has the stuff to beat anyone in this regional if he throws strikes. So I'd rather get one more game in in the hopes that if he shits the bed Sunday our opponent may be low on pitching too and we still have a chance.

Pilk gives us that best chance to get us to Sunday and I can't believe anyone would argue that.

Spiderman
06-02-2017, 10:43 PM
Love all the "We're screwed anyway"talk. Pitch Pilk tonight and win and everybody is fired up to win tomorrow.

Just because you agreed with throwing what is a normal #4-5 arm in an SEC rotation tonight and it went sideways, don't scream we are now screwed. Had they beat Pilk, tip your hat and say they are better.

If a State #2 can't beat a Mustard Buzzard # 2, THEN we are F--ked anyway

msstate7
06-02-2017, 10:45 PM
Love all the "We're screwed anyway"talk. Pitch Pilk tonight and win and everybody is fired up to win tomorrow.

Just because you agreed with throwing what is a normal #4-5 arm in an SEC rotation tonight and it went sideways, don't scream we are now screwed. Had they beat Pilk, tip your hat and say they are better.

If a State #2 can't beat a Mustard Buzzard # 2, THEN we are F--ked anyway

Actually it'll be the usm/USA #3 starter we face if we win tomorrow

pilldawg
06-02-2017, 10:46 PM
It would be a great time for a complete game.

Spiderman
06-02-2017, 10:50 PM
Actually it'll be the usm/USA #3 starter we face if we win tomorrow

I meant had we won today and played the Starving Eagles tomorrow

msstate7
06-02-2017, 10:50 PM
I meant had we won today and played the Starving Eagles tomorrow

My bad

msstate7
06-02-2017, 10:52 PM
It would be a great time for a complete game.

Even better time for an offensive explosion early in game so we could potentially pull pilk early. Long shot for sure though

Quaoarsking
06-02-2017, 10:53 PM

What we should do is map out the probability of every way the Regional unfolds with each starting pitcher tomorrow. If pitching KP tomorrow gives us the best chance at winning the Regional, we should do it. If saving him for game 3 gives us the best chance of winning the Regional, we should do that. If saving him for game 5 gives us the best chance of winning the Regional (not likely), we should do that.

The probabilities of finishing 2nd or 3rd are irrelevant. You either win the Regional or you don't.

I haven't put the effort into mapping out every possible permutation of the how the remaining MSU and non-MSU games could go, but I suspect that pitching McQuary tomorrow gives us the best chance of winning the Regional, even if it also raises our probability of finishing 4th. But if Cannizaro reaches a different conclusion, I'm OK with that too.

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 10:53 PM
Even better time for an offensive explosion early in game so we could potentially pull pilk early. Long shot for sure though

We don't have the luxury of pulling Pilk. We get up early just means he goes the distance to save what's left,of,our pen. We need a complete game win from him.

msstate7
06-02-2017, 10:55 PM
We don't have the luxury of pulling Pilk. We get up early just means he goes the distance to save what's left,of,our pen. We need a complete game win from him.

I don't dude... if we up 15-0 after 3 hahahaha

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 10:56 PM
What we should do is map out the probability of every way the Regional unfolds with each starting pitcher tomorrow. If pitching KP tomorrow gives us the best chance at winning the Regional, we should do it. If saving him for game 3 gives us the best chance of winning the Regional, we should do that. If saving him for game 5 gives us the best chance of winning the Regional (not likely), we should do that.

The probabilities of finishing 2nd or 3rd are irrelevant. You either win the Regional or you don't.

I haven't put the effort into mapping out every possible permutation of the how the remaining MSU and non-MSU games could go, but I suspect that pitching McQuary tomorrow gives us the best chance of winning the Regional, even if it also raises our probability of finishing 4th. But if Cannizaro reaches a different conclusion, I'm OK with that too.

I like data as much as the next guy but while you're compiling all that I'm gonna pitch the guy that I've seen throw strikes and that I trust what I'm gonna get. Not guaranteed but I trust. That's Pilk.

confucius say
06-02-2017, 11:01 PM

This is why you don't start pilk tomorrow. You hope for an offensive explosion early or a great outing from somebody else. If neither happens, you bring pilk in the second/third/as needed.

HSVDawg
06-02-2017, 11:04 PM
It wouldn't matter if we threw Nolan Ryan. We scored 3 damn runs against a Sun Belt team. That ain't ever gonna be good enough and that is where the game was lost. The decision to start Gordon was the right one. It isn't Cann's fault he couldn't find the zone. He was gonna have to throw against the 3 seed or the 1 seed. Might as well get him his best shot at a W.

tcdog70
06-02-2017, 11:06 PM
Pitching isn't the reason we lost. We can not score any runs. Jake hasn't got a hit since Moby Dick was a minnow. We suck with runners in scoring position. Rooker has to be the really Great Rooker, not the 1 for 4 Rooker. Pilk or not , if we don't hit we gone.

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 11:10 PM
Which lends itself to the decision to start Pilk. Gives us the best chance of keeping it low scoring.

Spiderman
06-02-2017, 11:12 PM
Which lends itself to the decision to start Pilk. Gives us the best chance of keeping it low scoring.

Yep

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 11:25 PM
Why didn't we just start Denver tonite ?

msstate7
06-02-2017, 11:29 PM
If we do happen to stay in this regional a min, do we consider using mangum on the mound again?

confucius say
06-02-2017, 11:35 PM
If we do happen to stay in this regional a min, do we consider using mangum on the mound again?

Yep. He started throwing bullpens again last week so he is an option.

Skydawg1
06-02-2017, 11:40 PM
Why didn't we just start Denver tonite ?B/c Cole Gordon looked so great vs Florida that everyone thought he could duplicate his performance against USA. Everybody has a plan until you get punched in the mouth. Like Cole Gordon did. Tonight.

CJDAWG85
06-03-2017, 12:08 AM
Who gives a ****... this team was never making Omaha. Everyone keeps second guessing the ******* pitching decision when the bats have been the biggest problem since the first game at UGA. You can't win leaving a small country on the bases.

I seen it dawg
06-03-2017, 10:26 AM
Not everyone

I seen it dawg
06-05-2017, 09:56 AM
Yeah I'm gonna get some bump on this one too...for the cheap seats. You know who you are