PDA

View Full Version : OT: Heading to gulf shores in a few weeks

biscuit
06-02-2017, 04:37 PM
And my wife is letting me get out for lunch.... suggestions for charbroiled oysters and shrimp poboys

Mobile Bay
06-02-2017, 04:54 PM
The original oyster house

Edit: Take your wife to The Gulf for wine and dinner just before sundown. If that doesn't earn you sexytimes, you need marriage counseling.

I seen it dawg
06-02-2017, 04:55 PM
Yep

starkvegasdawg
06-02-2017, 04:56 PM
Not sure if they have those items, but King Neptunes. Try the fried cheesecake.

Dawgbite
06-02-2017, 05:04 PM
The best fried shrimp and oysters is at Docs in OB but I had a better Po boy at GTs on the bay in OB, the former Caymen Grill. Last Sunday I had the Tuna Poke Bowl at Anchor Bar in OB, ahi tuna over house fried seasoned pork rinds. Damn it was good. Don't tell anybody because I don't want it to get so popular that I can't get a table. Wife had the short rib nachos which are over tater tots instead of chips, it was IMPP thread worthy.

msbulldog
06-02-2017, 06:29 PM
Try Bahama Bobs everything is good, the pecan baked grouper will make you a believer. Excellent view, great service and personable personnel. Go to the end of hwy 59, take a right. about a mile down the road on the left. Tell Dianne, Rusty said Hi, she will know you are a MSU fan!

biscuit
06-03-2017, 06:42 AM
Thanks guys. I'll try some of these places

DawgGlass
06-03-2017, 08:01 AM
Big fan of DeSoto's, Cosmo's, Ships Harbor Grill, Flora Bama Yacht Club, Cobalt and I have been wanting to try TheBigFish it looks great

Dawgbite
06-03-2017, 08:34 AM
The Gulf didn't impress me, only place I've ever gotten bad oysters and I've eaten a lot of oysters. My wife loves Big Fish, it's probably in her top 3 for the area. I've only eaten there twice and the only memorable meal I remember was the meat loaf, I know but after a solid week of seafood sometimes you need some comfort food. GTs on the Bay is owned by Cosmos/Cobalt so the food is going to be good.

CadaverDawg
06-03-2017, 08:38 AM
Big fan of DeSoto's, Cosmo's, Ships Harbor Grill, Flora Bama Yacht Club, Cobalt and I have been wanting to try TheBigFish it looks great

Great list. I haven't tried Desoto's yet, but I will soon. The others you listed are great. Cobalt is fantastic, probably my favorite.

CadaverDawg
06-03-2017, 08:41 AM
The Gulf didn't impress me, only place I've ever gotten bad oysters and I've eaten a lot of oysters. My wife loves Big Fish, it's probably in her top 3 for the area. I've only eaten there twice and the only memorable meal I remember was the meat loaf, I know but after a solid week of seafood sometimes you need some comfort food. GTs on the Bay is owned by Cosmos/Cobalt so the food is going to be good.

I didn't even know The Gulf had oysters. They have a very limited menu.....the Grouper sandwich is good, but to me every other food item is not worth it. I prefer to go there for a few drinks and to enjoy the atmosphere and view, but like Dawgbite says, probably not the best dinner spot if you're looking for great food in my opinion.

shoeless joe
06-03-2017, 08:50 AM
Great list. I haven't tried Desoto's yet, but I will soon. The others you listed are great. Cobalt is fantastic, probably my favorite.

Last time we went to desoto's the wife got food poisoning. She had chicken alfredo (not a seafood eater) but I've always enjoyed eating there although that's not an option for us anymore.

MaroonFlounder
06-03-2017, 09:38 AM

Go quickly to Shipp's Harbor because the owner is going to hang it up soon. There is Acme Oyster house down the road from Tacky Jacks (across the canal from LuLu's) They have great chargrilled oysters.

Pink Pony Pub has great soft-shell crab.

Bully13
06-03-2017, 09:54 AM

How long ago and what time of year did you get the bad oysters? On the half shell or another way?

Just asking because I'm a regular eater of raw. Even though I now live in n.fort worth, there's a restaurant not too far away that serves them raw in the summer time. I've only had 1 bad one there in the 5 years I've frequented the place. Transporting seafood must have gotten more efficient over the years. I've also someone mentioned pasteurized beds that are maintained by farmers now to maintain freshness throughout
the summer. I've come in and saw them with live crawfish too. All the way to ft worth.

Any experts in this industry care to comment? Many years ago I never imagined i would be eating raw oysters in the summer in n.tex.

Dawgbite
06-03-2017, 03:56 PM
How long ago and what time of year did you get the bad oysters? On the half shell or another way?

Just asking because I'm a regular eater of raw. Even though I now live in n.fort worth, there's a restaurant not too far away that serves them raw in the summer time. I've only had 1 bad one there in the 5 years I've frequented the place. Transporting seafood must have gotten more efficient over the years. I've also someone mentioned pasteurized beds that are maintained by farmers now to maintain freshness throughout
the summer. I've come in and saw them with live crawfish too. All the way to ft worth.

Any experts in this industry care to comment? Many years ago I never imagined i would be eating raw oysters in the summer in n.tex.

It was during an away game weekend but I don't remember which. I only ordered a half dozen and watched them shucked. They were dark and had a oily sheen to them, they smelled really strong but I tried one and that was a mistake. It almost came back up. I took them back and the guy just looked at me and asked if I wanted to order something else since I didn't want the oysters. My wife called the manager over and he just looked at them and asked if I wanted him to throw them away for me. She was more pissed than I was. Guy with us said they must have come directly from the BP oil spill, he smelled them and wouldn't even try one. The rule of thumb I have heard all my life is don't eat raw oysters in months that don't have an R in them but I don't always follow that rule.

I seen it dawg
06-03-2017, 04:13 PM
Fishers one of our favs

Dawgbite
06-03-2017, 04:22 PM
Fishers one of our favs

Upstairs or downstairs? We have tried downstairs but we are usually under dressed for upstairs. The rumor about Shipps Harbor Grill shutting down is just that, a rumor. Owner/ wife posted on FB a week ago that it was just a rumor, they were not divorcing and the restaurant wasn't closing.

Saltydog
06-03-2017, 04:54 PM
NT

Dawgbite
06-03-2017, 05:06 PM
Something I just thought of, Sassy Bass in Orange Beach has a Caribeaan menu that is excellent. The other Sassy bass have typical gulf coast menus but the one in OB is unique. Plus during football season they have 2for1 wings. Besides, every self respecting Bulldog fan should drink Kalik beer whenever it is available.

Bully13
06-03-2017, 05:12 PM
It was during an away game weekend but I don't remember which. I only ordered a half dozen and watched them shucked. They were dark and had a oily sheen to them, they smelled really strong but I tried one and that was a mistake. It almost came back up. I took them back and the guy just looked at me and asked if I wanted to order something else since I didn't want the oysters. My wife called the manager over and he just looked at them and asked if I wanted him to throw them away for me. She was more pissed than I was. Guy with us said they must have come directly from the BP oil spill, he smelled them and wouldn't even try one. The rule of thumb I have heard all my life is don't eat raw oysters in months that don't have an R in them but I don't always follow that rule.

Yep, but I'm thinking things have improved to the point where the non R months may not be as important.

You should always smell your raw oysters. They should smell like the ocean.

I seen it dawg
06-03-2017, 05:40 PM
Upstairs or downstairs? We have tried downstairs but we are usually under dressed for upstairs. The rumor about Shipps Harbor Grill shutting down is just that, a rumor. Owner/ wife posted on FB a week ago that it was just a rumor, they were not divorcing and the restaurant wasn't closing.

Both are really good. Prob enjoy downstairs more just bc no one wants to get dressed up a little to go upstairs. But upstairs is great food too.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
06-03-2017, 05:41 PM
The rule of thumb is don't eat raw oysters.

FIFY. I follow that rule and have never gotten sick from them.

It_Could_Happen
06-03-2017, 05:47 PM
1. The original Doc's. New one isn't as good.

2. Cobalt for dinner

3. Avoid the hangout and lulu's. Very touristy.

4. Tacky Jack's firecracker shrimp is incredible.

5. Tin Top restaurant is a little ways out of town towards Foley but is by far the best food I've had in the area. One of my favorite restaurants anywhere.

Mobile Bay
06-03-2017, 07:22 PM
Yep, but I'm thinking things have improved to the point where the non R months may not be as important.

You should always smell your raw oysters. They should smell like the ocean.

For safety's sake yes, you can eat oysters any time now days. However, once the water temperature reaches a certain point they begin to spawn, and the quality massively degrades. I still stick to those old rules, not because of fear, but because they ain't worth the money right now.

Bully13
06-03-2017, 07:35 PM
For safety's sake yes, you can eat oysters any time now days. However, once the water temperature reaches a certain point they begin to spawn, and the quality massively degrades. I still stick to those old rules, not because of fear, but because they ain't worth the money right now.

Gotcha, didn't know about the spawning. Thanks.

gtowndawg
06-03-2017, 09:33 PM
I know this isn't seafood, but if anyone ever wants good pizza go to Janino's in West Beach. Only like two tables so plan on takeout but we look forward to it every summer. It's excellent.

Statecoachingblows**
06-03-2017, 09:42 PM
How many is a few weeks? If we are up and running by then like to treat you and your group. Lot has to fall into place quickly but if it does would be happy to do so.

CadaverDawg
06-03-2017, 09:46 PM
How many is a few weeks? If we are up and running by then like to treat you and your group. Lot has to fall into place quickly but if it does would be happy to do so.

I'll be down there with a big group in a month....you opening a restaurant?

Statecoachingblows**
06-03-2017, 09:51 PM
I'll be down there with a big group in a month....you opening a restaurant?

Working on it, many more hurdles than I ever planned on. Some no brainers I just missed and many other idiotic local "things" I also had not planned on.

CadaverDawg
06-03-2017, 09:52 PM
Working on it, many more hurdles than I ever planned on. Some no brainers I just missed and many other idiotic local "things" I also had not planned on.

Well keep me posted man, I'd love to check it out and support a fellow Dawg. What types of food? Any other details you can share yet?

msbulldog
06-03-2017, 09:53 PM
I built beach houses there for 2 years and believe me there local ordinances are unreal.

Statecoachingblows**
06-03-2017, 10:10 PM
Well keep me posted man, I'd love to check it out and support a fellow Dawg. What types of food? Any other details you can share yet?

Honestly, looking to be that spot no one has named so far haha. I'm not doing seafood (shrimp and mahi mahi are my limit) looking more of an off the beaten path type thing. I'm shooting for everything from shrimp and grits to BBQ bologna without diluting the options too much. Open to suggestions for sure. My aim is at the local and/or long term visitor plus every state fan ��

Statecoachingblows**
06-03-2017, 10:12 PM
I built beach houses there for 2 years and believe me there local ordinances are unreal.

Hasn't changed, not sure when you were building here but it's still a pain in the ass. We had to get an engineers approval to redo 2 balconies.

msbulldog
06-04-2017, 05:50 AM
Hasn't changed, not sure when you were building here but it's still a pain in the ass. We had to get an engineers approval to redo 2 balconies.

The year after Ivan hit, I think 2005 & 2006, loved it down there.

Dawgbite
06-04-2017, 08:22 AM
Honestly, looking to be that spot no one has named so far haha. I'm not doing seafood (shrimp and mahi mahi are my limit) looking more of an off the beaten path type thing. I'm shooting for everything from shrimp and grits to BBQ bologna without diluting the options too much. Open to suggestions for sure. My aim is at the local and/or long term visitor plus every state fan 😁

Give us a hint, OB or GS? Noticed somebody was remodeling the former Diamond Jims?

Statecoachingblows**
06-04-2017, 12:06 PM
Give us a hint, OB or GS? Noticed somebody was remodeling the former Diamond Jims?

Definitely not the one taking over Diamond Jims. Heard some rumblings about what happened with that place not sure how true though. Definitely don't have the cash for that location.
Should have some solid information this week on a few hang ups. Will be in GS (unless I get another curve ball-which is very possible it seems) concept I want is to appeal to the local. Hoping to ride the wave of growth that's on fire around here. When I get definitive answers I'll definitely share on here for anyone interested.

Dawgbite
06-04-2017, 12:16 PM
Let us know where and when you open. We get down to OB as often as we can but generally don't venture toward GS because of the traffic but definitely will come support a fellow dawg. In OB I think you have to have a permit to apply for a permit, try cutting an oak tree! The place is growing but I don't see how the island can handle much more traffic.

SouthMSDog
06-04-2017, 12:34 PM
NM

Statecoachingblows**
06-04-2017, 12:50 PM
All very valid points. I wouldn't be upset if 10% of that traffic stopped by and placed an order though haha. I'm learning as I go so some of my issues are self inflicted but some of it is just seemingly pointless

Harrydawg
06-04-2017, 01:59 PM
Ate at Big Fish last night......great food. Would recommend. Also heard good things about Fishers.....