PDA

View Full Version : So Now all the Grand stand chair backs are to be sold as season tickets.

Offshore Dawg
06-01-2017, 01:12 PM
I take this to mean that if you walk up and buy a general admission ticket at Dudy Noble. You are standing up, sitting on the <17>ing grass, or hoping to find an empty seat that a season ticket holder did not show up for. Somebody tell me if I have the wrong impression from what I have been reading or not.
If this is the case then this is a midget stadium plan. I will be 69 when the stadium rebuild is finished and I don't intend to stand for a baseball game.

Tbonewannabe
06-01-2017, 01:16 PM
I hope we have more chairbacks than season tickets. Unless we end up with 10k season ticket holders, we should have seats available.

BrunswickDawg
06-01-2017, 01:28 PM
Everything I've read says 3200 lower bowl chairbacks and 1,300 upper bowl chair backs - but does not give a capacity total for the new grandstand. The renderings make the upper bowl look much, much larger than 1,300 seats, so there has to be GA seating in that upper bowl.

drummerdawg
06-01-2017, 01:29 PM
I've hated the berm idea since the beginning. Basically all we're doing is getting rid of the metal bleachers and replacing it with a grass slope for people to sit on. Idk why we can't just chairback the thing all the way down. Nobody that comes to a game at Dudy Noble should have to stand or sit on a grass slope. This is one thing that I like about Arkansas and South Carolina's stadiums.

Tbonewannabe
06-01-2017, 01:31 PM
Everything I've read says 3200 lower bowl chairbacks and 1,300 upper bowl chair backs - but does not give a capacity total for the new grandstand. The renderings make the upper bowl look much, much larger than 1,300 seats, so there has to be GA seating in that upper bowl.

I hope that is wrong since we have over 6k in season tickets but I guess that counts LFL. I hope it is closer to 8k chairbacks because those berms won't hold as much as the metal bleachers. We could be downgrading the capacity if that works out.

BrunswickDawg
06-01-2017, 02:00 PM
I hope that is wrong since we have over 6k in season tickets but I guess that counts LFL. I hope it is closer to 8k chairbacks because those berms won't hold as much as the metal bleachers. We could be downgrading the capacity if that works out.

We only have 3,700 chairbacks now (according to http://www.scout.com/college/mississippi-state/story/1781223-msu-baseball-stadium-chairback-seats ), so that season tix # has to include a big swath of the outfield plus the 18 luxury suites we have now.

Offshore Dawg
06-01-2017, 02:34 PM
Don't forget they are removing 3000 bleacher bench seats, maybe a few less seats when considering fat asses.

Homedawg
06-01-2017, 02:41 PM
there will be approx 600 tix that are held that arent sold as season tickets due to regionals etc. i assume that those will be sold game by game basis ..

Homedawg
06-01-2017, 02:43 PM

this is correct. the stadium isnt going to be much larger than the old one grandstand wise....

BrunswickDawg
06-01-2017, 02:54 PM
Gene basically answers it - no real GA seating beyond berms and LFL - http://www.scout.com/college/mississippi-state/story/1782111-msu-baseball-stadium-odds-and-ends

Westdawg
06-01-2017, 04:08 PM
Brunswick, if that is the case, then they basically will never be able to make large crowds at Dudy Noble ever again.
We have one of, if not THE BEST, best AND LARGEST game day crowds in all of college baseball - past and present. If they are spending what they are spending and not adding more seats, then our administration is dumber than I could have imagined. Berms are what programs do to make things aesthetically pleasing while compensating for smaller crowds. DUMB, COHEN. F'ING DUMB

Homedawg
06-01-2017, 04:36 PM
Brunswick, if that is the case, then they basically will never be able to make large crowds at Dudy Noble ever again.
We have one of, if not THE BEST, best AND LARGEST game day crowds in all of college baseball - past and present. If they are spending what they are spending and not adding more seats, then our administration is dumber than I could have imagined. Berms are what programs do to make things aesthetically pleasing while compensating for smaller crowds. DUMB, COHEN. F'ING DUMB

Let's say the bleachers held 1500 each, and we add 600 grandstand seats, thats a net loss of 2400. The berms and the additional standing spaces will hold 2400. so the not having big crowd part would be wrong. Now if you wanted a much larger grandstand, then you will be disappointed. But they didnt want an empty grandstand during 9/10 of the year, which is what we already had. And the new facility will be way way nicer.

BrunswickDawg
06-01-2017, 05:10 PM
Let's say the bleachers held 1500 each, and we add 600 grandstand seats, thats a net loss of 2400. The berms and the additional standing spaces will hold 2400. so the not having big crowd part would be wrong. Now if you wanted a much larger grandstand, then you will be disappointed. But they didnt want an empty grandstand during 9/10 of the year, which is what we already had. And the new facility will be way way nicer.

My only real issue is it makes it difficult to be a fan if you can only make a game or 2 a year - and it's been a problem since the current stadium was built. If you don't have connection in the LFL or know a season ticket holder, you are basically guaranteed a crap experience on an SEC weekend. A berm is better than those bleachers, barely.

drummerdawg
06-01-2017, 05:19 PM

Don't see how this is going to make a difference in making the stadium look more full. It's the season ticket holders that have chairbacks that make us look bad to begin with. It's their lack of attendance that we always complain about and that's not going to change. Makes more sense to allow GA in the grandstands. I was at the A&M game this year and the people sitting in the berms looked miserable.

Boston
06-01-2017, 05:29 PM
My only real issue is it makes it difficult to be a fan if you can only make a game or 2 a year - and it's been a problem since the current stadium was built. If you don't have connection in the LFL or know a season ticket holder, you are basically guaranteed a crap experience on an SEC weekend. A berm is better than those bleachers, barely.

What he said!

Todd4State
06-01-2017, 06:37 PM
I wish they would just put seats in where the berms are. I think that eventually happens anyway. And if they want berms put them behind the seats where the grandstand doesn't extend. That makes it more comfortable for the fan that wants to go to two games a year and it also would help with crowds when we have regionals and things like that.

HSVDawg
06-01-2017, 07:48 PM
The biggest thing that is needed to solve the empty seats issue is one (or both) of two things:

1) A more lax policy for sitting in the grandstand after the game starts. After the 2nd or 3rd inning, the ticket nazis at the portal entrances can be told to stand down. Or just get rid of them altogether and let the fans who's seats are taken deal with it. Somehow these folks aren't needed at Davis Wade or the Hump, so I don't know why its such an issue at the baseball stadium.

2) An easy online, application-friendly ticket exchange that can be used from your smart phone. Season ticket holders who can't make the game can release their tickets back to the university to be resold to the general public. If their tickets are sold, they recoup something like 50% of the price of the ticket either into their bank account or towards their Bulldog Club donation for the following year. There is really no excuse for this not being in place already (for all sports).

bulldogcountry1
06-01-2017, 09:04 PM
I've hated the berm idea since the beginning. Basically all we're doing is getting rid of the metal bleachers and replacing it with a grass slope for people to sit on. Idk why we can't just chairback the thing all the way down. Nobody that comes to a game at Dudy Noble should have to stand or sit on a grass slope. This is one thing that I like about Arkansas and South Carolina's stadiums.

It's interesting that Arkansas has had 3 significant expansions since 2003. It sucks that we have done essentially nothing in that time. It's good to be able to essentially start over, but I hope the new Dude is designed in a way to make expansion efficient and uniform.

Maroon Wizardry
06-01-2017, 09:16 PM
didn't cohen say it would hold 10000+ seats?

confucius say
06-01-2017, 09:25 PM
I wish they would just put seats in where the berms are. I think that eventually happens anyway. And if they want berms put them behind the seats where the grandstand doesn't extend. That makes it more comfortable for the fan that wants to go to two games a year and it also would help with crowds when we have regionals and things like that.

Yep. No berm. All chairback.

confucius say
06-01-2017, 09:26 PM
The biggest thing that is needed to solve the empty seats issue is one (or both) of two things:

1) A more lax policy for sitting in the grandstand after the game starts. After the 2nd or 3rd inning, the ticket nazis at the portal entrances can be told to stand down. Or just get rid of them altogether and let the fans who's seats are taken deal with it. Somehow these folks aren't needed at Davis Wade or the Hump, so I don't know why its such an issue at the baseball stadium.

2) An easy online, application-friendly ticket exchange that can be used from your smart phone. Season ticket holders who can't make the game can release their tickets back to the university to be resold to the general public. If their tickets are sold, they recoup something like 50% of the price of the ticket either into their bank account or towards their Bulldog Club donation for the following year. There is really no excuse for this not being in place already (for all sports).

Totally agree. Common sense really.

Homedawg
06-01-2017, 10:30 PM

2) An easy online, application-friendly ticket exchange that can be used from your smart phone. Season ticket holders who can't make the game can release their tickets back to the university to be resold to the general public. If their tickets are sold, they recoup something like 50% of the price of the ticket either into their bank account or towards their Bulldog Club donation for the following year. There is really no excuse for this not being in place already.
(for all sports).
Part 2 is already in place. People might not know how to use it, but it's there.
Eta. Meaning people have there tickets for sale every game. Every game

HSVDawg
06-01-2017, 11:01 PM
Part 2 is already in place. People might not know how to use it, but it's there.
Eta. Meaning people have there tickets for sale every game. Every game

I'm sure there is some type of exchange. The question is how easy is it to use and how seamless is the procurement of tickets? Tickets are typically mailed to the season ticket holder as hard copies, meaning that if someone is to purchase their actual tickets they must also arrange for shipping or pickup of said tickets. Which is, first off, a huge pain in the ass and secondly is not practical for folks who walk up to the ticket office on gameday. For any true ticket exchange to work, it has to be beneficial to the season ticket holder, the university, and most importantly the buyer. That's why I think the proposal outlined above makes a lot more sense. Season ticket holder knows he and 3 family members aren't going for the Arkansas series. He opens SmartPhone app, releases them to the university for resale. Family of 4 walks up to PDS ticket office and requests 4 seats. Ticket office sees 4 together in previously mentioned ticket holders seats. University sells those 4 seats for the 2nd time, printing new tickets with different bar codes than the first set. Keeps their cut as their revenue for handling the logistics. Sends rest of money back to season ticket holder through some secure means. That is way more efficient than the university just running their own version of a StubHub type site, which is I think what happens now.

Homedawg
06-02-2017, 12:23 AM
I'm sure there is some type of exchange. The question is how easy is it to use and how seamless is the procurement of tickets? Tickets are typically mailed to the season ticket holder as hard copies, meaning that if someone is to purchase their actual tickets they must also arrange for shipping or pickup of said tickets. Which is, first off, a huge pain in the ass and secondly is not practical for folks who walk up to the ticket office on gameday. For any true ticket exchange to work, it has to be beneficial to the season ticket holder, the university, and most importantly the buyer. That's why I think the proposal outlined above makes a lot more sense. Season ticket holder knows he and 3 family members aren't going for the Arkansas series. He opens SmartPhone app, releases them to the university for resale. Family of 4 walks up to PDS ticket office and requests 4 seats. Ticket office sees 4 together in previously mentioned ticket holders seats. University sells those 4 seats for the 2nd time, printing new tickets with different bar codes than the first set. Keeps their cut as their revenue for handling the logistics. Sends rest of money back to season ticket holder through some secure means. That is way more efficient than the university just running their own version of a StubHub type site, which is I think what happens now.

You are complicating things. As of today, you can simply transfer your tickets thru email and other avenues and be done with it. Today. It's that simple. The university doesn't have to be involved. That's here. Now. I don't know how else to tell you. I know I've done it. This bs about we can't transfer tickets and bar codes and other crap is just that. Crap. The reason we don't have a full stadium is either we have a bunch of cheap ass fans that want a ticket for nothing or because we have some too lazy to sell them. But neither of those facts are changing because they both exist.

Todd4State
06-02-2017, 02:05 AM
You are complicating things. As of today, you can simply transfer your tickets thru email and other avenues and be done with it. Today. It's that simple. The university doesn't have to be involved. That's here. Now. I don't know how else to tell you. I know I've done it. This bs about we can't transfer tickets and bar codes and other crap is just that. Crap. The reason we don't have a full stadium is either we have a bunch of cheap ass fans that want a ticket for nothing or because we have some too lazy to sell them. But neither of those facts are changing because they both exist.

Maybe the problem is a lot of our fans don't know that exists? Maybe MSU could put something out once a week about how if you aren't going to the game and don't know someone that wants your ticket, use whatever ticket exchange system MSU uses.

Boston
06-02-2017, 05:38 AM
I'd come to a lot more games if I could buy tickets to the grandstand. Sitting on the bleachers for at least a majority of the games is not a very good experience.

HSVDawg
06-02-2017, 05:47 AM

I'm going to presume you are talking about the StubHub sponsored link on the ticket office's home page? Well, for whatever reason that system by itself doesn't seem to be working all that well. Fans buying tickets either don't know about it as Todd mentioned (the anti-tech types who like the simplicity of walking to the ticket window and buying tickets), or they are marked up to be well higher than face value with convenience fees and what not and that drives down demand. Generally speaking, nobody who walks up to the ticket office is thinking about logging into some site to buy tickets on game day. They would do that before arriving to the park if that were the case. If there aren't tickets available at the window, they are either flagging down the nearest scalper or they are buying the cheaper GA tickets.

My question to you is why can't both systems exist? The system mentioned above would cost next to nothing to implement for the university and would provide a more convenient avenue for folks to simply get rid of their tickets if they just wanted to maximize their chances of getting something for them. They could always list them on the current exchange site first, then take them down and release them back to MSU on gameday if they so chose to try and increase the chances of selling them. The absolute worst thing that could happen would be that we are in the same situation as we are in now.

Doc
06-02-2017, 07:55 AM
There are still some chair backs left. Get them while you can. Problem solved. If you can't go then give to family, friends, or local high school kids. You can even sale them if you like. These seats are a great entertainment value.

ScoobaDawg
06-02-2017, 12:49 PM
I take this to mean that if you walk up and buy a general admission ticket at Dudy Noble. You are standing up, sitting on the <17>ing grass, or hoping to find an empty seat that a season ticket holder did not show up for. Somebody tell me if I have the wrong impression from what I have been reading or not.
If this is the case then this is a midget stadium plan. I will be 69 when the stadium rebuild is finished and I don't intend to stand for a baseball game.

Then pony up some $$$ for a season ticket or enjoy a soft seat on a towel on the Berms. You can call it a midget stadium if you like but it's going to be one of the best in college baseball.

Close. I got ahold of the blue prints and hand counted each seat drawn in...

All of the seats in the lower levels (3173), upper (1341), the suites (200), The Omaha club (315) and the Omaha Loge seats (96) which brings us to 5,125 seats on blue prints in the grandstands.

I think this place will hold more than 15k. You have to think about the Berms, the Open air concourse, and the levels of open walkway in the outfield. I think we will find out in a year or two after it opens.

Those were also built a while back. Ark was in built in 1996 and added onto twice more including in 06. USC's founders park was built in 09. Prices have changed a lot since then.
Now I will say, I was super excited about our original design. But before it was released. I always envisioned something like USC's park. The biggest thing is the way the treat the angles of seats past the infield bases.
The problem with our former bleachers and the problem with Arkansas..the stadium goes parallel with the foul lines. Meaning you have to turn your neck to look into the infield.
USC does a good job of hugging and going vertical along the foul line to bring the seats closer to the field at a better angle the farther out they go.

What I'm worried about and need to review the new drawings in the blue prints is this section. The original shows a change in angle along the lines in order to turn the stands inward towards the field (for better sight lines)
I think I saw a pic the other day posted on here and that was changed. I will be rather pissed if that did happen. A small move, that might reduce some cost. but was crucial in the design element in my opinion. Changing that means we will going back to having to turn our heads sideways to watch the game if we ever expand again down the lines. With Berms. People are free to sit how they like.

It does. LFL people have always owned grand stand tickets but don't sit in them. Now we won't have that problem anymore.

Wrong wrong wrong. As I mentioned above. With the open air concept and berms we will break our record in the next couple of years. People were already packed like sardines and not able to see the game when we cram more than I would guess 13k in the Dude. At least now, when we cram 15k in their almost everyone should have a view.

ScoobaDawg
06-02-2017, 12:51 PM

Well.. look at it the other way... Do we really need to build seats down the line (grand stand or bleachers) when they won't be filled more than maybe 6 regular season games?