PDA

View Full Version : Eli Wright

Ifyouonlyknew
06-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Look like Eli has decided to stick around & not transfer. No official word on Mario but expect him to transfer.

Tbonewannabe
06-01-2017, 11:02 AM
I liked Eli's hustle when he was in the game. Kegler was kind of the opposite of that. I could see Eli playing the 1,2, or 3 depending on the situation so he could get a lot of minutes.

CadaverDawg
06-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Good. I like Eli

Thick
06-01-2017, 11:24 AM
Howland said he won't recruit anymore kids associated with Carter. Pretty big bball donor shared that fwiw. Also said Carter was pimping Kegler around back in December. Dude is a real POS.

Dawg61
06-01-2017, 11:37 AM
Look like Eli has decided to stick around & not transfer. No official word on Mario but expect him to transfer.

Howland said he won't recruit anymore kids associated with Carter. Pretty big bball donor shared that fwiw. Also said Carter was pimping Kegler around back in December. Dude is a real POS.

Boom!!! Two excellent pieces of news for our basketball program within 30 minutes!! Today is going wonderfully! I really like Wright, he is tough, has some swag, is a good rebounder, isn't afraid of contact and has good size for a guard. If he can get some more air under his shot it'll improve a lot too. No more Ohmar Carter divas is fantastic news as well. Does Howland read this board? I think he does

Irondawg
06-01-2017, 11:46 AM
I'm sticking to my thoughts that if Eli would commit himself to being excellent on the defensive end he'd get 25-30 a game on that alone. And I think he can still be a good slasher type offensive player with a developing outside shot.

But still crowded back there with the weatherspoons, Peters, Carter, wright and x

Ari Gold
06-01-2017, 11:53 AM
I'm sticking to my thoughts that if Eli would commit himself to being excellent on the defensive end he'd get 25-30 a game on that alone. And I think he can still be a good slasher type offensive player with a developing outside shot.

But still crowded back there with the weatherspoons, Peters, Carter, wright and x

X can play the 4 when we go small.

MarketingBully
06-01-2017, 11:58 AM
I like the news as well. If all we lose is Mario in the offseason, I view that as a win.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
06-01-2017, 12:32 PM
great news. Looking @ the depth chart we were down to 3 SG/SFs w/ Wright gone. Wasn't overly concerned b/c Peters can play the 2 but we were one injury away from having one guy backing up positions 1-3. I think Wright helps our depth tremendously & can provide a defensive sub when Carter can't match up physically. I think he'll factor heavily in the rotation & avg 15-20 mins.

smootness
06-01-2017, 12:32 PM
Nice!

MarketingBully
06-01-2017, 12:36 PM
Kegler's meeting with Howland went well so some are optimistic he might stay. As feared though this is the handy work of Omhar Carter which we suspected all along.

MarketingBully
06-01-2017, 12:39 PM

We have to deal with him though because of his connections to the Jackson area. It's unfortunately a necessary evil. I am hoping that the places he is trying to pimp Kegler to aren't buying and we can keep him. If Kegler has the season he thinks he will have, we and him benefit from it. He can then jump to the NBA or whatever he wants to do and we will get Woodard next year. It's a win-win for everyone.

thf24
06-01-2017, 12:40 PM
Kegler's meeting with Howland went well so some are optimistic he might stay. As feared though this is the handy work of Omhar Carter which we suspected all along.

At this point unless he dumps Carter, I'd rather him leave. It's clear at this point his head isn't going to be in the right place as long as Carter is in the picture.

Dawg61
06-01-2017, 12:40 PM

Kegler needs to tell Ohmar to **** off! Guy is a total leach that is NOT looking out for Mario's best interests.

Dawg61
06-01-2017, 12:47 PM
We have to deal with him though because of his connections to the Jackson area.

No we don't. Most of the players coming outta Jackson are not good for our program. It won't take long before everyone sees that Ohmar Carter is a leach and until that happens we can recruit other areas of this country/world were the players are not divas. Plus we got the two best players outta Jackson already in the two Spoons. I'll take my chances we get the 3rd one as well without dealing with Ohmar. The reason Ohmar acts like this is because he's scared everyone into thinking they have to suck his balls to get good players. Malik Newman and Mario Kegler aren't exactly winning awards and having scouts drooling over them lately so where exactly are these "good" players that Ohmar has again?

Johnson85
06-01-2017, 01:06 PM
I liked Eli's hustle when he was in the game. Kegler was kind of the opposite of that. I could see Eli playing the 1,2, or 3 depending on the situation so he could get a lot of minutes.

I thought Keglar's effort was fine when I saw him (which admittedly I didn't get to see most of our games). He was a true freshman having to adjust to playing the three without the athleticism advantage he enjoyed in high schooland I thought he looked very promising. I can't imagine how he would think it's in his best interest to transfer and sit out as opposed to spending the next year being a starter for what hopefully will be a breakout team.

klong-dog
06-01-2017, 01:13 PM
I didn't think it was an effort thing either with Kegler. His issues was shot selection consistency and some carelessness with the ball. I thought he played hard.

Tbonewannabe
06-01-2017, 01:15 PM
I thought Keglar's effort was fine when I saw him (which admittedly I didn't get to see most of our games). He was a true freshman having to adjust to playing the three without the athleticism advantage he enjoyed in high schooland I thought he looked very promising. I can't imagine how he would think it's in his best interest to transfer and sit out as opposed to spending the next year being a starter for what hopefully will be a breakout team.

He just looked very hot and cold on the hustle part, it very well could have been due to freshman year issues. The guy has a lot of talent so hopefully he listens to Howland instead of Carter. One of those guys has won a lot of games and put players in the NBA and the other is just trying to leach off of kids.

HSVDawg
06-01-2017, 03:37 PM
We have to deal with him though because of his connections to the Jackson area. It's unfortunately a necessary evil. I am hoping that the places he is trying to pimp Kegler to aren't buying and we can keep him. If Kegler has the season he thinks he will have, we and him benefit from it. He can then jump to the NBA or whatever he wants to do and we will get Woodard next year. It's a win-win for everyone.

Honestly speaking, what is the worst that would happen if we just said to hell with recruiting the Jackson area AAU circuit? Other than Charles Rhodes, we haven't had an impact player from Jackson in the past two decades or so. I know its the best MS has to offer, but MS isn't much of a basketball state anyway and there's plenty of talent elsewhere.

yjnkdawg
06-01-2017, 03:53 PM
There seems to be a trend of players transferring when Omhar is associated with them. Is the intent for the good of the player or somebody else? Well, everybody will just need to form their own opinion on that.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-01-2017, 03:57 PM
Honestly speaking, what is the worst that would happen if we just said to hell with recruiting the Jackson area AAU circuit? Other than Charles Rhodes, we haven't had an impact player from Jackson in the past two decades or so. I know its the best MS has to offer, but MS isn't much of a basketball state anyway and there's plenty of talent elsewhere.

I'd consider the Weatherspoon's Jackson area kids.

HSVDawg
06-01-2017, 04:09 PM

Well first off, the Weatherspoons are from Canton and went to HS 30 or 40 miles away from inner city Jackson. Secondly, I probably should have been more specific. The ones to avoid are the ones from the Callaway-Murrah-Lanier cesspool. Those are the ones that seem to be the most tied to AAU corruption and leech handlers or relatives. Look no further than Keglar and Newman as evidence. And as stated previously, we've had one impact player in two decades plus from those "Big 3", and even Rhodes took 2 years or so to learn how to play in a structured environment, and had quite a few adjustment issues himself.

Dawg61
06-01-2017, 04:14 PM

You know he's correct so not sure why you're nitpicking it. There's been a whole bunch more misses on Jackson and Mississippi players than there's been two Spoons and a Stapleton. We'd improve immediately if we didn't recruit another MS player for ten straight years. I am not saying to do that but I am saying recruit other areas of the world a bunch more than we are already. Let someone else try to win with the South's AAU superstars. Toughness, shooting, character and high basketball IQ should be the qualities we are signing. If we commit to those ideals we will quickly leave most of the SEC in the dust as they continue to fail with dumb athletic divas.

RocketDawg
06-01-2017, 04:16 PM
Who is Omar Carter?

Homedawg
06-01-2017, 04:20 PM
You know he's correct so not sure why you're nitpicking it. There's been a whole bunch more misses on Jackson and Mississippi players than there's been two Spoons and a Stapleton. We'd improve immediately if we didn't recruit another MS player for ten straight years. I am not saying to do that but I am saying recruit other areas of the world a bunch more than we are already. Let someone else try to win with the South's AAU superstars. Toughness, shooting, character and high basketball IQ should be the qualities we are signing. If we commit to those ideals we will quickly leave most of the SEC in the dust as they continue to fail with dumb athletic divas.
I get what you are saying. However, this isnt a perfect world. Those guys are found that often. Much less signed by us.

Dawg61
06-01-2017, 04:37 PM
Those guys aren't found that often. Much less signed by us.

A whole bunch of them are found every year and signed by non-P5 basketball schools every year. I could probably build you 5 full teams of dudes that weren't recruited by P5 schools that would make the tourney next year if I wanted to waste two hours just to prove a point.

Homedawg
06-01-2017, 04:44 PM
A whole bunch of them are found every year and signed by non-P5 basketball schools every year. I could probably build you 5 full teams of dudes that weren't recruited by P5 schools that would make the tourney next year if I wanted to waste two hours just to prove a point.

yeah, after you see how well they've done after already being in college. who can't. Point is, there is a reason those guys went to where they went, because p5 schools didn't want them. Don't be stupid man. Plus, ever thought that some of those guys just might not want to play at msu anyway? It happens you know.

Dawg61
06-01-2017, 05:02 PM
yeah, after you see how well they've done after already being in college. who can't. Point is, there is a reason those guys went to where they went, because p5 schools didn't want them. Don't be stupid man. Plus, ever thought that some of those guys just might not want to play at msu anyway? It happens you know.

It's my belief the SEC has a widespread breakdown in the type of basketball player that gets signed and it's been that way for 15+ years now. There's too much loyalty to the Southern basketball player that is nowhere close to the same type of player that the West/Midwest and North sign. Besides Kentucky and Florida there hasn't been a consistent tournament team in this league for a long time. How long are we going to keep trying to fit a square peg into a circle? How many SEC coaches have gotten fired in the last 15 years? They keep doing the same dumb shit is why they keep getting fired and that dumb shit is being too loyal to the local talent and chasing overrated AAU players that are very low basketball IQ players and very high on thinking they are LeBron James talent. The problem stems at the high school level and AAU level. It's out athlete basketball that no longer works when you get to the college level. I am just tired of watching this same stupid shit every single year. Howland isn't gonna hurt our feelings if he doesn't recruit this state very much moving forward. I want to win not make all the AAU coaches feel loved.

yjnkdawg
06-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Who is Omar Carter?

Omhar Carter is Kegler's legal guardian and an AAU Coach.

RiverCityDawg
06-01-2017, 07:27 PM
No we don't. Most of the players coming outta Jackson are not good for our program. It won't take long before everyone sees that Ohmar Carter is a leach and until that happens we can recruit other areas of this country/world were the players are not divas. Plus we got the two best players outta Jackson already in the two Spoons. I'll take my chances we get the 3rd one as well without dealing with Ohmar. The reason Ohmar acts like this is because he's scared everyone into thinking they have to suck his balls to get good players. Malik Newman and Mario Kegler aren't exactly winning awards and having scouts drooling over them lately so where exactly are these "good" players that Ohmar has again?

The Weatherspoons and Tyson Carter played AAU ball for Carter. He usually has the top team in the state and it's not just made up of Jackson kids. You can't completely burn the bridge.

People were up in arms for a while because Cam Akers wouldn't even consider us. Imagine if we are completely shut out of contention for the top basketball recruit or the top 3 in this State because they play for MBA Hoops.

And don't count on people seeing that the guy is a leach. These guys are everywhere and the AAU deal is here to stay unless the NCAA decides they want to do something about it.

HSVDawg
06-01-2017, 07:29 PM

Whoa now. I think that the Jackson talent is largely overrated, due largely to the diva AAU aspect. But turning our backs on the whole state would be a tremendous mistake. Starkville and Meridian have both produced way more elite talent than than the Jackson area in the past 15 years or so, and that is just two relatively rural cities with not even half the combined population of Jackson. Add in the coast and greater Memphis area, and there will be tons of places we can find good players in MS without having to depend on the 3-ring circus that comes along with the JPS kids.

Dawg61
06-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Whoa now. I think that the Jackson talent is largely overrated, due largely to the diva AAU aspect. But turning our backs on the whole state would be a tremendous mistake. Starkville and Meridian have both produced way more elite talent than than the Jackson area in the past 15 years or so, and that is just two relatively rural cities with not even half the combined population of Jackson. Add in the coast and greater Memphis area, and there will be tons of places we can find good players in MS without having to depend on the 3-ring circus that comes along with the JPS kids.

I was exaggerating. I don't want us to completely stop recruiting this state. That would be stupid. I just don't want to be dependent on it anymore for the foreseeable future.

maroonmania
06-01-2017, 07:51 PM

If Garrison Brooks hadn't jumped ship on us then losing Kegler wouldn't be as big a deal. We just don't have a lot in the way of athletic 4 guys on the team now. Holman is about it. Ado and Herard are really Centers and Stapleton is a little small for a 4. Feazell is about the right size but not expecting much out of him as a FR.

HSVDawg
06-01-2017, 07:53 PM
I was exaggerating. I don't want us to completely stop recruiting this state. That would be stupid. I just don't want to be dependent on it anymore for the foreseeable future.

Well we haven't ever really depended on it. There isn't enough talent overall to build even a semi-competitive roster with even as many as 35-40% MS kids, let alone over 50% or something. I don't ever see that changing.

MarketingBully
06-01-2017, 08:00 PM
If Garrison Brooks hadn't jumped ship on us then losing Kegler wouldn't be as big a deal. We just don't have a lot in the way of athletic 4 guys on the team now. Holman is about it. Ado and Herard are really Centers and Stapleton is a little small for a 4. Feazell is about the right size but not expecting much out of him as a FR.

I think Feazell is better then people give him credit for. Iowa State wanted him bad. He is fully recovered from his injury and has better size and range then Mario. He is a true stretch four more then Brooks was. If he can challenge Holman and push him in practice I think we will be fine in the post.

Dawg61
06-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Well we haven't ever really depended on it. There isn't enough talent overall to build even a semi-competitive roster with even as many as 35-40% MS kids, let alone over 50% or something. I don't ever see that changing.

Alright well go ahead and extend that into Alabama, Tennessee, Louisiana and Arkansas and lets stop relying on 80% of our players coming from these five states (MS the 5th). It's shit basketball. Every once in a blue moon a player like Mario Austin or Rhodes comes here but there's way more Flat Top Fred's and Malik Newman's to wade thru to maybe get lucky. It's just proven to be a bad recruiting strategy at this point. This isn't just MSU that keeps falling for the fools gold. It's every damn program in the SEC the last 15 years besides Kentucky and Florida (not counting the 2 newbie Big 12 teams).

Recruit smart basketball players that are tough and can shoot. Build a program with them and we will soon be a very mature very smart team that isn't losing players after 1 year and we will run circles around the AAU diva all-stars that don't understand how to play good basketball. At some point you gotta ask why does a program like Butler and Gonzaga keep producing top 15 basketball programs year in and year out? You think Butler is out recruiting us based on recruiting rankings? Hell no they aren't. They just have figured out they need to be a smarter better shooting basketball program than the more athletic stupid teams. And it works. Every year. No reason at all we can't copycat Butler and Gonzaga. They have given us the blueprint. It isn't hard to figure out. Are we above copying their formula for success? Sure seems like we think we are.

HSVDawg
06-01-2017, 08:56 PM
Alright well go ahead and extend that into Alabama, Tennessee, Louisiana and Arkansas and lets stop relying on 80% of our players coming from these five states (MS the 5th). It's shit basketball. Every once in a blue moon a player like Mario Austin or Rhodes comes here but there's way more Flat Top Fred's and Malik Newman's to wade thru to maybe get lucky. It's just proven to be a bad recruiting strategy at this point. This isn't just MSU that keeps falling for the fools gold. It's every damn program in the SEC the last 15 years besides Kentucky and Florida (not counting the 2 newbie Big 12 teams).

Recruit smart basketball players that are tough and can shoot. Build a program with them and we will soon be a very mature very smart team that isn't losing players after 1 year and we will run circles around the AAU diva all-stars that don't understand how to play good basketball. At some point you gotta ask why does a program like Butler and Gonzaga keep producing top 15 basketball programs year in and year out? You think Butler is out recruiting us based on recruiting rankings? Hell no they aren't. They just have figured out they need to be a smarter better shooting basketball program than the more athletic stupid teams. And it works. Every year. No reason at all we can't copycat Butler and Gonzaga. They have given us the blueprint. It isn't hard to figure out. Are we above copying their formula for success? Sure seems like we think we are.

Not sure if serious.

From MS:
Spoon
Gavin Ware
Rodney Hood
Timmy Bowers
Charles Rhodes
Markell Patterson
Erick Dampier
....and many, many others

From AL:
Craig Sword
Mario Austin
Daryl Wilson

From TN:
Jamont Gordon
Jarvis Varnado
Jalen Steele
Barry Stewart
Dontae Jones

From LA:
Brandon Vincent
Derrick Zimmerman
Lamar Peters

From Ark (may give you this one):
IJ Ready

That's just off the top of my head, and all of those guys were tremendous players for us over the past 2 decades. Thats a shit ton of players. There is no way a program of our stature could ever not use its immediate regional footprint as its recruiting foundation. It also fails to include all the straight to the NBA guys we would have landed from MS (Outlaw, Ellis, Bender) if the rules were the same then as they are now.

MCsMGs
06-01-2017, 09:37 PM

I'm not ready to write off Datcher yet...He was hurt much of his last years in HS, but showed some glimpses of potential last season. He will give us some physical play and 5 fouls in the paint which should help in some games.

I watched Feazell play in the State playoffs and was unimpressed with his intensity. He clearly has skills, but he should have dominated the team I saw him play. He never established himself down low and got out rebounded by smaller and less athletic players all night. He's in for a wake-up call when he gets to MSU...hope He's ready to step up!

confucius say
06-01-2017, 09:50 PM

Camden is 50 minutes at least from downtown Jackson and is as rural as it gets. And I'm not saying we should abandon all Jackson recruits.

Dawg61
06-02-2017, 12:11 AM
Not sure if serious.

From MS:
Spoon
Gavin Ware
Rodney Hood
Timmy Bowers
Charles Rhodes
Markell Patterson
Erick Dampier
....and many, many others

From AL:
Craig Sword
Mario Austin
Daryl Wilson

From TN:
Jamont Gordon
Jarvis Varnado
Jalen Steele
Barry Stewart
Dontae Jones

From LA:
Brandon Vincent
Derrick Zimmerman
Lamar Peters

From Ark (may give you this one):
IJ Ready

That's just off the top of my head, and all of those guys were tremendous players for us over the past 2 decades. Thats a shit ton of players. There is no way a program of our stature could ever not use its immediate regional footprint as its recruiting foundation. It also fails to include all the straight to the NBA guys we would have landed from MS (Outlaw, Ellis, Bender) if the rules were the same then as they are now.

Of the 19 players you listed I could pick apart half of them if needed and your list literally spans 20+ years to Daryl Wilson days. So basically 9 decent guys in over 20 years. Do the math that's 1/2 a decent player a year. That ain't ever gonna win shit.

smootness
06-02-2017, 08:04 AM
Of the 19 players you listed I could pick apart half of them if needed and your list literally spans 20+ years to Daryl Wilson days. So basically 9 decent guys in over 20 years. Do the math that's 1/2 a decent player a year. That ain't ever gonna win shit.

Those guys were better than decent for us. And we won quite a bit with several of them.

KentuckyDawg13
06-02-2017, 09:27 AM
Add in the former Mississippi-born NBA players that played elsewhere, like James Robinson (bama) and Chris Jackson (LSU) too. Even Vernel Singleton (LSU, played some pro) was an elite player from Mississippi.

Mississippi has a wealth of talented players, MSU cannot afford to not recruit Mississippi.

Dawg61
06-02-2017, 09:45 AM
Those guys were better than decent for us. And we won quite a bit with several of them.

That list has Sword, Steele, Peters and Ready on it. Hahahahahahahah and its a span of OVER twenty years. Come the **** on, we keep recruiting these players and we will keep missing the tournament. Recruit SMART high IQ basketball players that can shoot. End of story. Stop recruiting the South for basketball.

Dawg61
06-02-2017, 09:53 AM
Chris Jackson (LSU) 30 YEARS AGO

Mississippi has a wealth of talented players wealthy like Tijuana or Mogadishu, MSU cannot afford to not recruit Mississippi.Yea we can, we'd have better results recruiting Canada and Australia than our own damn state

Time to try something different the last 15 years of recruiting isn't working for us. Butler, Creighton and Wichita State have much better basketball programs than us. Why do you think that is? They recruit smart basketball players that can shoot. End of story. It isn't complicated because basketball isn't complicated.

KentuckyDawg13
06-02-2017, 10:19 AM
Sounds good in theory, try to convince a Canadian elite player to move to Mississippi though.
Environmental culture is huge for college players. MSU will rarely get players that go to Butler, Creighton, Wichita St...it's just the way it is.
We have an elite coach recruiting elite players again, so improvement is happening. Just drama is getting exposed in the off-season per usual.
I am pleased in the direction our program is turning, just was hoping the upswing would have happened sooner. If this coming season is a flop, I too will join you in your tirades.
HAIL STATE!

Time to try something different the last 15 years of recruiting isn't working for us. Butler, Creighton and Wichita State have much better basketball programs than us. Why do you think that is? They recruit smart basketball players that can shoot. End of story. It isn't complicated because basketball isn't complicated.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-02-2017, 11:24 AM
And here I was thinking that players all across the country were begging to come to Starkville, Ms to play basketball. Shame on Howland for not reaching out to those players and signing them. It's so obvious and easy why don't he do it?* smh

Irondawg
06-02-2017, 11:36 AM
This is a somewhat complicated issue. It I think the point DAWg61 is trying to make is more Ben Hansborough, Shane Power, Brandon Vincent, Marcus Grant types and less Ravern Johnson, kodi Augustus types.

They are out there but it does take more effort to find them and you can't miss much

Homedawg
06-02-2017, 11:42 AM

And it's certainly not as easy as you make it sound either. Not even close.

Dawg61
06-02-2017, 11:46 AM
MSU will rarely get players that go to Butler, Creighton, Wichita St...it's just the way it is.

Only someone who has never been to Butler, Indiana or Wichita, Kansas would say such a ridiculous false statement.

Dawg61
06-02-2017, 11:53 AM
And it's certainly not as easy as you make it sound either. Not even close.

It's a whole lot easier to get them to come here when you actually recruit them as opposed to the zero recruiting we do currently for these players. Keep in mind these are non-P5 players for the most part and I guarantee you some of them would rather attend an SEC school that plays on TV every night and vs Kentucky & Florida than rot in shitty Butler, Indiana or Wichita, Kansas. Some of y'all have let Old Misses, LSU and Arkansas fans get to your heads about Starkville, Mississippi. LSU is in a ****ing SWAMP GHETTO. It isn't a better place to live than sunny beautiful Mississippi with smoking hot girls everywhere. It's just not. Wichita, Kansas? Butler, Indiana hahaha what a joke if you think those shitholes are better than Starkville.

smootness
06-02-2017, 11:56 AM
This is a somewhat complicated issue. It I think the point DAWg61 is trying to make is more Ben Hansborough, Shane Power, Brandon Vincent, Marcus Grant types and less Ravern Johnson, kodi Augustus types.

They are out there but it does take more effort to find them and you can't miss much

You need a mix. You're not going to win a ton of your team is 5 Shane Powers.

Dawg61
06-02-2017, 12:03 PM
You need a mix. You're not going to win a ton of your team is 5 Shane Powers.

Where in his post does he say sign 5 Shane Powers types?

KentuckyDawg13
06-02-2017, 12:04 PM
Someone that lives in Gold, MS is lecturing me of not visiting those schools...lol That's rich. I have lived across this entire country, west coast (San Fran) to east coast (NC), now in Louisville, KY which some consider one of the epicenters of college basketball history.
You just like to argue with no basis of validity. Good luck with that.

Only someone who has never been to Butler, Indiana or Wichita, Kansas would say such a ridiculous false statement.

smootness
06-02-2017, 12:07 PM
That list has Sword, Steele, Peters and Ready on it. Hahahahahahahah and its a span of OVER twenty years. Come the **** on, we keep recruiting these players and we will keep missing the tournament. Recruit SMART high IQ basketball players that can shoot. End of story. Stop recruiting the South for basketball.

Do you know what 'several' means?

Look, I agree with you to some degree that we should branch out and get some guys from the Midwest and such when we see the type of player you're talking about that we can get.

But will it ever be a sustainable model for Mississippi State's recruiting foundation to be anywhere but the South? Of course not.

smootness
06-02-2017, 12:09 PM
Where in his post does he say sign 5 Shane Powers types?

I don't mean 5 small forwards. I just mean that the kind of player Power was - smart, tough, fundamentally sound - is great (a guy like Vincent is the same thing), but you can't make that your entire roster and expect to win anything of substance. You have to have guys with real, legit talent as well.

Dawg61
06-02-2017, 12:23 PM
I don't mean 5 small forwards. I just mean that the kind of player Power was - smart, tough, fundamentally sound - is great (a guy like Vincent is the same thing), but you can't make that your entire roster and expect to win anything of substance. You have to have guys with real, legit talent as well.

This I agree with but let's not discount Powers shooting "talent" or maybe you want to call that a skill either way the man was a winner and could set the nets on fire with his shooting ability. It's not realistic for me to expect us to completely stop recruiting the southern AAU all-star but even just blending in some Powers, Vincents, Bowers and Gholars into this team would do wonders for us and Howland has room RIGHT NOW to add 3 grad transfers with qualities like those guys. I do not know for the life of me why he isn't taking advantage of this RIGHT NOW. We can not do anything with 3 open scholarships next year anyways so why the hell doesn't he add 3 guys that only have 1 year left that have good character, are smart and can shoot to this team full of young players that aren't exactly setting the standard on basketball IQ? Makes no sense to not take advantage of this.

Dawg61
06-02-2017, 12:26 PM
Someone that lives in Gold, MS

I don't live in Gold, Mississippi homie that is the name I gave our post office where technically Mississippi State is located. The word Starkville is a hindrance to us and is used by our rivals as a way to shit on MSU. Rename the post office "Gold" and well you immediately troll the trollers. MSU is now located in Gold not Starkville.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-02-2017, 12:49 PM
You just like to argue with no basis of validity.

That about sums him up.

Dawg61
06-02-2017, 01:07 PM
That about sums him up.

You're literally interjecting yourself into this thread cause you're a troll that is butthurt about me calling you a troll, delete your account

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-02-2017, 01:22 PM
You're literally interjecting yourself into this thread cause you're a troll that is butthurt about me calling you a troll, delete your account

No. I am commenting because I can, idiot. It's a public board. I really don't care what you call me, honestly. haha I think someone got "butthurt" when I called them out on a dumbass comment they made about Boise State to SEC.

Question: Did you start this thread? no? Then you INTERJECTED your dumbass comments. It was a positive thread but you always have to find some way to turn everything positive into a negative. You must have a miserable life.

KentuckyDawg13
06-02-2017, 01:33 PM
Selective arguments...
My point stands: "You just like to argue with no basis of validity."

I don't live in Gold, Mississippi homie that is the name I gave our post office where technically Mississippi State is located. The word Starkville is a hindrance to us and is used by our rivals as a way to shit on MSU. Rename the post office "Gold" and well you immediately troll the trollers. MSU is now located in Gold not Starkville.

KentuckyDawg13
06-02-2017, 01:34 PM
Yep.

Cheers.

Dawg61
06-02-2017, 01:35 PM
That about sums him up.

No. I am commenting because I can, idiot. It's a public board. I really don't care what you call me, honestly. haha I think someone got "butthurt" when I called them out on a dumbass comment they made about Boise State to SEC.

Question: Did you start this thread? no? Then you INTERJECTED your dumbass comments. It was a positive thread but you always have to find some way to turn everything positive into a negative. You must have a miserable life.

This is a basketball thread, either contribute something in this thread about basketball or **** off

MCsMGs
06-02-2017, 01:37 PM
I do not know for the life of me why he isn't taking advantage of this RIGHT NOW. We can not do anything with 3 open scholarships next year anyways so why the hell doesn't he add 3 guys that only have 1 year left that have good character, are smart and can shoot to this team full of young players that aren't exactly setting the standard on basketball IQ? Makes no sense to not take advantage of this.

I have asked Coach Howland this question on several occasions...His reply to me has been that there is tremendous competition in recruiting graduate transfers and that most of the impact players want to go somewhere where they have an opportunity to contribute to a deep run in the tournament. The others would just take minutes away from younger players he is trying to develop.

Dawg61
06-02-2017, 01:41 PM
Sounds good in theory, try to convince a Canadian elite player to move to Mississippi though.
Environmental culture is huge for college players. MSU will rarely get players that go to Butler, Creighton, Wichita St...it's just the way it is.
We have an elite coach recruiting elite players again, so improvement is happening. Just drama is getting exposed in the off-season per usual.
I am pleased in the direction our program is turning, just was hoping the upswing would have happened sooner. If this coming season is a flop, I too will join you in your tirades.
HAIL STATE!

Someone that lives in Gold, MS is lecturing me of not visiting those schools...lol That's rich. I have lived across this entire country, west coast (San Fran) to east coast (NC), now in Louisville, KY which some consider one of the epicenters of college basketball history.
You just like to argue with no basis of validity. Good luck with that.

Selective arguments...
My point stands: "You just like to argue with no basis of validity."

Oh I got validity when someone tries to act like where they live or where other schools are located are somehow "environmentally more cultured" than MSU. You can take that stereotypical elitist attitude and shove it buddy. I will never let some jack hole that lives somewhere else in this country shit on my school on this board especially one that calls himself a "Dawg". If you wanna call that "arguing" so be it but I bet you think twice the next time you try to dump on MSU.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-02-2017, 02:05 PM
This is a basketball thread, either contribute something in this thread about basketball or **** off

Same goes to you, HOMIE!! I would love for you to say these things to my face, so that I could finally shut your dumbass up. You're all Billy Bad Ass on here but I have a strong feeling it would be a different story in a real life encounter.

Dawg61
06-02-2017, 02:18 PM
Same goes to you, HOMIE!! I would love for you to say these things to my face, so that I could finally shut your dumbass up. You're all Billy Bad Ass on here but I have a strong feeling it would be a different story in a real life encounter.

What "things" Mr. Internet Muscles? You posted a quote of mine telling you to post about basketball and then you quoted another one of me talking to another poster about why my location says "Gold, Mississippi" so what are you all butthurt about again? Remember you interjected yourself into this thread by trolling me so if you're mad maybe you should consider the steps YOU MADE to get yourself to your level of anger. You are really bad at this btw and are way outta your league. Maybe you should PM Blacklisted, Engie, Will James, Goat Holder and Brad Stevens for some guidance. RIP to all of them.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-02-2017, 02:24 PM
What "things" Mr. Internet Muscles? You posted a quote of mine telling you to post about basketball and then you quoted another one of me talking to another poster about why my location says "Gold, Mississippi" so what are you all butthurt about again? Remember you interjected yourself into this thread by trolling me so if you're mad maybe you should consider the steps YOU MADE to get yourself to your level of anger. You are really bad at this btw and are way outta your league. Maybe you should PM Blacklisted, Engie, Will James, Goat Holder and Brad Stevens for some guidance. RIP to all of them.

Out of my league? HAHAHA Is there an attempt here for you to piss everyone off that you come across? If you think you are pissing me off, keep trying. I think it is hilarious. You talking about Gold Mississippi didnt say anything about basketball. Your posts are so full of irony once again. You must be 12-18 years old. That is the only explanation I can come up with to explain you.

BOISE STATE TO SEC 2019!!!!

Dawg61
06-02-2017, 03:24 PM

If you think you are pissing me off, keep trying. I think it is hilarious.

Yea real believable homie

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Happy-Gilmore-Thumbs-Down.gif

CarolinaDawgs
06-02-2017, 03:37 PM
And here I was thinking that players all across the country were begging to come to Starkville, Ms to play basketball. Shame on Howland for not reaching out to those players and signing them. It's so obvious and easy why don't he do it?* smh

This is such a small brained, facetious comment. Dawg61 is actually making a legit point, but since you can't refute it this is what we get. Bravo sir.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-02-2017, 05:00 PM
This is such a small brained, facetious comment. Dawg61 is actually making a legit point, but since you can't refute it this is what we get. Bravo sir.

Nice of you to stop playing circle jerk with him long enough to make an idiotic comment. I don't want to refute it. All I am saying is he sets out to argue with everyone on here. It is quite laughable. And I am not the only one on here that thinks so.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-02-2017, 05:02 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/8kM9dh4BEHE9G/giphy.gif