PDA

View Full Version : D1Baseball predicts our regional

CadaverDawg
06-01-2017, 08:27 AM
Listened to the D1 podcast, and Aaron Fitt said he thinks we lose game 1, Bc Randy Bell has a big curve and we'll chase it. Has USM winning the Regional.

Kendall Rogers picked us. Said Pilk matches up well with USM. Let's hope we win game 1 and get to find out

MadDawg
06-01-2017, 08:34 AM
I heard on one of the afternoon sports talk shows that we are actually predicted to finish 4th in the regional. It was either Jay or Jake's show. Said USM was about a 65% favorite, followed by USA at about 28%, the UIC at 8% and us about 7%.

CadaverDawg
06-01-2017, 08:37 AM
I heard on one of the afternoon sports talk shows that we are actually predicted to finish 4th in the regional. It was either Jay or Jake's show. Said USM was about a 65% favorite, followed by USA at about 28%, the UIC at 8% and us about 7%.

Good grief. That would suck. I think we pitch Pilk game 2 regardless, so I think 3rd is the worst we will finish. I think if we win game 1 we become the favorite...lose game 1 and I think we finish 3rd

LC Dawg
06-01-2017, 08:38 AM
It's hard to argue with someone saying we will chase pitches but I don't think their pitcher is determining this game. I think ours is. If Gordon has a good outing we will win this game and be set up great with Pilk against Southern.

Todd4State
06-01-2017, 08:40 AM
Well, we do chase pitches there's no doubt about that. We may not win but I bet it's better than 7% as far as our odds.

Todd4State
06-01-2017, 08:42 AM
Good grief. That would suck. I think we pitch Pilk game 2 regardless, so I think 3rd is the worst we will finish. I think if we win game 1 we become the favorite...lose game 1 and I think we finish 3rd

If we win game one we are in good shape. If USM loses their game one then we are in the driver's seat big time.

The Federalist Engineer
06-01-2017, 08:43 AM
Randy Bell is not that great, glad we get him and not Huston. All his good numbers come from inferior competition. Against above average teams

12 innings, 21 hits, 9 walks, 7.51 ERA, 2 starts

drunkernhelldawg
06-01-2017, 08:45 AM
I think we win the regional. If I was USM, I'd be a little peeved at us being there as the two seed. Every morning of their lives, they've woken up knowing that we're superior to them in baseball. Now they are a little better than us, but yet they're still going to get their season ended by us.

MarketingBully
06-01-2017, 08:46 AM
Typical bullshit. Last year Cal State Fullerton was the favorite to win our regional last year according to the so called "experts."

The Federalist Engineer
06-01-2017, 08:46 AM
It's hard to argue with someone saying we will chase pitches but I don't think their pitcher is determining this game. I think ours is. If Gordon has a good outing we will win this game and be set up great with Pilk against Southern.

This is the reason not to start Alexander, that's three or four strike outs. Tanner Poole should always bunt and then run like hell, especially with double play possibly

We play our better hitters, we don't give away 12 outs per game

ScoobaDawg
06-01-2017, 08:53 AM
Here is the link to the breakdown if anyone wants to read about our regional
D1baseball says we have the best hitter and pitcher in the regional. Lists Spencer Price as the X factor.
https://d1baseball.com/postseason/hattiesburg-regional-breakdown/

ScoobaDawg
06-01-2017, 08:57 AM
Typical bullshit. Last year Cal State Fullerton was the favorite to win our regional last year according to the so called "experts."

Putting the maroon shades to the side for a moment. It's not hard to see why the "experts" would pick USM. We had a magical team for most of the season waaaayy overachieving. USM is on fire. We on the other hand slumped in our last 2 series and choked away a game against UF in the Sec tournament.
SO MUCH depends on how Cole Gordon pitches tonight. Asking him to perform the magic he did against UF again is unlikely. But we just need a good 6-7 innings of 5-6 hits, 2 walks, a sprinkling of K's and no more than 2-3 runs.
We get that. I feel good about this regional

MarketingBully
06-01-2017, 09:00 AM
Thanks Scooba for providing that link. Good break down. Btw, who was that douche I wonder who made the comment claiming Southern Miss should get a 6 not a 5 to win the regional and saying we should get a 3? It looked like he was an MSU fan from his avatar. It takes all kinds I tell ya. Takes all kinds...

Todd4State
06-01-2017, 09:03 AM
D1baseball says we have the best hitter and pitcher in the regional. Lists Spencer Price as the X factor.

Well, Price is hurt.

The Federalist Engineer
06-01-2017, 09:16 AM

Price will be eating crawfish, drinking cokes, and looking at girls the entire time - so not great journalism here

LC Dawg
06-01-2017, 09:46 AM

Who predicted this? Was it based on a poll on Nafoom?
Fitt and Rogers are two of the most knowledgeable people in college baseball and one of them picked us to win the regional. We have our problems but 7% is a joke.

Dawg61
06-01-2017, 09:50 AM
All it takes is Rooker to smash one of those hanging curveballs for their pitcher's confidence to be in the shitter with their fans

Quaoarsking
06-01-2017, 05:00 PM

I don't think anyone is really saying this unless it's just an internet fan poll or something.

Boyds World probabilities are usually pretty good, and his formula gives USM 62% and us 23%

http://boydsworld.com/data/fieldprobs2017.html

maroonmania
06-01-2017, 08:38 PM

Well, in a regional, if you ain't first you're last. If we don't finish first I don't really care if we are 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

Percho
06-01-2017, 08:41 PM
This is the reason not to start Alexander, that's three or four strike outs. Tanner Poole should always bunt and then run like hell, especially with double play possibly

We play our better hitters, we don't give away 12 outs per game

Tanner should bunt even with two strikes.