PDA

View Full Version : Auburn is pushing for realignment and I'm all for it

Reason2succeed
05-31-2017, 09:02 AM
Whether it is Auburn to the east and Missouri to the West or Auburn and Alabama to the east and Vanderbilt and Missouri to the west this is a move that will benefit State.

Imagine if Mullen no longer had to play one or both of those teams every year and instead gets Mizzou or Vandy. We would almost immediately be one win per season better pushing us to an avg of 8-9 wins per season instead of 7-8. With LSU being the only true recruiting powerhouse but hampered by Coach O's underwhelming coaching we could actually win the west every couple of years when things fell right.

My only contention with this article is that they might want to wait until after OM gets their DP to decide what to do with the conferences because it might be beneficial to just kick them out of the SEC.***

Tbonewannabe
05-31-2017, 09:04 AM
Whether it is Auburn to the east and Missouri to the West or Auburn and Alabama to the east and Vanderbilt and Missouri to the west this is a move that will benefit State.

Imagine if Mullen no longer had to play one or both of those teams every year and instead gets Mizzou or Vandy. We would almost immediately be one win per season better pushing us to an avg of 8-9 wins per season instead of 7-8. With LSU being the only true recruiting powerhouse but hampered by Coach O's underwhelming coaching we could actually win the west every couple of years when things fell right.

My only contention with this article is that they might want to wait until after OM gets their DP to decide what to do with the conferences because it might be beneficial to just kick them out of the SEC.***

I am for both, kick out UNM and get Oklahoma or someone for the West. We would add a strong team but also get Bama and AU out of the west so it would still benefit us.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-31-2017, 09:07 AM
Sankey has pretty much laughed this idea off the table. This comes up just about every year by Auburn & their media & nothing ever comes of it. It's not happening.

CadaverDawg
05-31-2017, 09:08 AM
How funny would it be if the year AFTER Ole Miss gets hammered for cheating to try to win the SEC, Bama & Auburn got moved to the East and they probably would have had a shot if they hadn't rushed the cheating process and gotten so sloppy. Lol

smootness
05-31-2017, 09:12 AM
They're never going to put Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, and Tennessee all in the same division. That would leave the West as: LSU, A&M, State, OM, Arkansas, Missouri, Vandy.

I could potentially see just Auburn going, but I think any realignment would be a bad idea. This stuff is cyclical, in the 90s and early 00s it was the East dominating.

Bully13
05-31-2017, 09:13 AM
Why the hell we ever let MO join has always been a head scratcher to me. I wonder how hard a push we actually made for one of the bigs out of VA or NC. One of the things we just have to accept is that expansion has always involved tapping into new states.

Political Hack
05-31-2017, 09:15 AM
Auburn needs to bounce and Bama needs to stay. Auburn is Bama's permanent. Nobody cares about the Bama vs UT series except UT fans who think they're still a nationally relevant program. Mizzu is a western team. It's dumb for travel cost reasons alone. There has to be a realignment at some point.

Tbonewannabe
05-31-2017, 09:19 AM
Why the hell we ever let MO join has always been a head scratcher to me. I wonder how hard a push we actually made for one of the bigs out of VA or NC. One of the things we just have to accept is that expansion has always involved tapping into new states.

I think it was 2 fold. We expand into the Missouri/Kansas City market and we add another highly rated academic institution, well at least before everything went down up there. UF and Vandy were the only schools that were considered great academic institutions. I forget what rating it was but most of the Big 10 was on the list and UF and Vandy were the only schools from the SEC.

CadaverDawg
05-31-2017, 09:29 AM
Auburn needs to bounce and Bama needs to stay. Auburn is Bama's permanent. Nobody cares about the Bama vs UT series except UT fans who think they're still a nationally relevant program. Mizzu is a western team. It's dumb for travel cost reasons alone. There has to be a realignment at some point.

I agree with all of this. Bama staying & AU swapping with Mizzou makes the most sense.

Dawg61
05-31-2017, 09:30 AM
I'd rather have Alabama move to the East than Auburn. We can beat Auburn some years. We will never beat Alabama under Saban.

Reason2succeed
05-31-2017, 09:31 AM
Sorry I forgot to link the article
https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/05/30/auburn-sec-east-west-divisions-realignment

Token Bammer
05-31-2017, 09:35 AM

I disagree. BAMA fans love to curb stomp UT on a yearly basis. Its a classic rival, and to old timers, it may be more important to beat UT than AU. Bear saw them as our major rival.

AU is always whining about something and everything they push for is to help them only. Personally, id love to see there butt leave for the ACC but that'd be too good to be true. If barn switched divisions I would like to see us leave UT as our permanent and rotate AU like everyone else because if AU doesn't play Alabama they lose some national relevance and it would hurt them imo. But I know the SEC would never let that happen because the Iron Bowl is such a big draw for the conference. A man can dream though.

Tbonewannabe
05-31-2017, 09:42 AM
I disagree. BAMA fans love to curb stomp UT on a yearly basis. Its a classic rival, and to old timers, it may be more important to beat UT than AU. Bear saw them as our major rival.

AU is always whining about something and everything they push for is to help them only. Personally, id love to see there butt leave for the ACC but that'd be too good to be true. If barn switched divisions I would like to see us leave UT as our permanent and rotate AU like everyone else because if AU doesn't play Alabama they lose some national relevance and it would hurt them imo. But I know the SEC would never let that happen because the Iron Bowl is such a big draw for the conference. A man can dream though.

The article did make sense in that the only "real" rivalry that would be lost by swapping Mizzou and Vandy for Bama and AU would be MSU/Bama. I am perfectly content not playing Bama every year.

Quaoarsking
05-31-2017, 09:43 AM
If you move Alabama and Auburn, there's no need for permanent opponents anymore

Dawg61
05-31-2017, 09:51 AM
East will never vote to allow this, they have zero interest in making their side more difficult. I doubt even half of the 14 schools would vote yes for this so not sure why it keeps getting mentioned every year.

Token Bammer
05-31-2017, 09:56 AM
East will never vote to allow this, they have zero interest in making their side more difficult. I doubt even half of the 14 schools would vote yes for this so not sure why it keeps getting mentioned every year.

All-barn is why it keeps getting mentioned.

Dawg61
05-31-2017, 10:00 AM
All-barn is why it keeps getting mentioned.

Move to rename Auburn as Awburn cause Awwwww they love to whine, Awburn

smootness
05-31-2017, 10:01 AM
If you move Alabama and Auburn, there's no need for permanent opponents anymore

Because all the historic powers with rivalries are all in the same division haha. That's never going to happen.

Ari Gold
05-31-2017, 10:03 AM

Agree.. the one cross riveraly that is the most relevant is Aub/ Uga which will stay intact with this move.
And bringing mizzu to the west will make a little for the debacle of the sec getting mizzu in the first place

Token Bammer
05-31-2017, 10:06 AM

Haha. Yes. That's one of their many, many names. School down the road, cow college, little brother, 2nd fiddle, awbren, arbarn, all-barn, and *U just to name a few.

HSVDawg
05-31-2017, 10:27 AM
They're never going to put Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, and Tennessee all in the same division. That would leave the West as: LSU, A&M, State, OM, Arkansas, Missouri, Vandy.

I could potentially see just Auburn going, but I think any realignment would be a bad idea. This stuff is cyclical, in the 90s and early 00s it was the East dominating.

I agree with the cyclical side of the argument, but by that same logic it still makes sense to have some sort of geographical alignment. No matter how many "strong" teams you put in one division, all the teams aren't going to he strong all the time. Mizzou in the East is downright silly. Flipping Auburn to the East and Mizzou to the West makes the most sense. But if that isn't possible, I think what would be the next most reasonable thing is to flip Ark and UF to the opposite division, and rename the current SEC West the SEC South, and rename the current East the SEC North. That would result in a very minimal number of rivalry games from being affected. UF would just have to choose between the cocktail party (which I personally think is the most overrated SEC rivalry game that really no one gives a shit about) and the UT game as it relates to their permanent opponent.

Indndawg
05-31-2017, 10:35 AM
I submit a north/south.
South: UF, LSU, AM, Auburn, Bama, SCAR
North: Bears, M SU, UT,PIG, MIZZOU, VANDY

Dawg61
05-31-2017, 10:43 AM
Ok since we're totally dreaming here's my version

MSU
OM
Vandy
Arkansas
Mizzou
Kentucky
USCe

Bama
Auburn
LSU
aTm
Florida
Georgia
Tennessee

seems fair

TUSK
05-31-2017, 10:46 AM

This is correct.

TUSK
05-31-2017, 10:48 AM
Ok since we're totally dreaming here's my version

MSU
OM
Vandy
Arkansas
Mizzou
Kentucky
USCe

Bama
Auburn
LSU
aTm
Florida
Georgia
Tennessee

seems fair

I like how you think. I'd swap Arkie & Bammer for my dream scenario.

Dawg61
05-31-2017, 10:56 AM
I like how you think. I'd swap Arkie & Bammer for my dream scenario.

Or how about we just put Bama in the playoff every year and they can teach the Browns and Jaguars how to play tackle football for the first 12 weeks

smootness
05-31-2017, 11:00 AM
I agree with the cyclical side of the argument, but by that same logic it still makes sense to have some sort of geographical alignment. No matter how many "strong" teams you put in one division, all the teams aren't going to he strong all the time. Mizzou in the East is downright silly. Flipping Auburn to the East and Mizzou to the West makes the most sense. But if that isn't possible, I think what would be the next most reasonable thing is to flip Ark and UF to the opposite division, and rename the current SEC West the SEC South, and rename the current East the SEC North. That would result in a very minimal number of rivalry games from being affected. UF would just have to choose between the cocktail party (which I personally think is the most overrated SEC rivalry game that really no one gives a shit about) and the UT game as it relates to their permanent opponent.

Eh, you do have to have consideration for the historical nature of programs, since that is what they are most likely to be going forward. Things are cyclical, but they are cyclical relative to the level of program. Florida will be up and down, but their ups will be higher than Arkansas' ups and their downs won't be as low.

So swapping Auburn and Missouri wouldn't be that bad. You'd have Florida, Georgia, Auburn, and Tennessee, but Alabama, LSU, and A&M is not too far below that. Swapping Florida and Arkansas would likely be a disaster. Alabama, Florida, LSU, Auburn, and A&M on the same side? And the East having just Georgia and Tennessee? Not going to work long-term.

DownwardDawg
05-31-2017, 11:11 AM

+1

Token Bammer
05-31-2017, 11:20 AM
Or how about we just put Bama in the playoff every year and they can teach the Browns and Jaguars how to play tackle football for the first 12 weeks

This.

The Federalist Engineer
05-31-2017, 12:23 PM

This is some wild stuff, never knew this about the Bama-Auburn rivalry

Dawg61
05-31-2017, 12:35 PM
Eh, you do have to have consideration for the historical nature of programs, since that is what they are most likely to be going forward. Things are cyclical, but they are cyclical relative to the level of program. Florida will be up and down, but their ups will be higher than Arkansas' ups and their downs won't be as low.

So swapping Auburn and Missouri wouldn't be that bad. You'd have Florida, Georgia, Auburn, and Tennessee, but Alabama, LSU, and A&M is not too far below that. Swapping Florida and Arkansas would likely be a disaster. Alabama, Florida, LSU, Auburn, and A&M on the same side? And the East having just Georgia and Tennessee? Not going to work long-term.

delete

deltadawg99
05-31-2017, 03:42 PM
Auburn wants to do that because the East is garbage and I don't blame that because it's a much easier path to Atlanta.

I wish they'd get rid of the divisions and the top two teams play for the championship. Just have a rotating schedule and each team has 3 or 4 set games a year to keep rivalries in tact. I think that'd be level the playing field between the east and west.

Jack Lambert
05-31-2017, 03:56 PM
Looks like to me Auburn is running away from having to play Bama every year.

shannondawg
05-31-2017, 03:56 PM
I saw Pat Dye on Finebaum several weeks ago make the pitch. He said increase the games by 1 and then could keep the traditional rivals.

Strangley i brought it to my Mizzou friend's attention. He was against it, he said their fans had no problem traveling. I think it was because of competition, but I told him if you think the Vols, Dawgs and Gators are gong to stay down for long , forget it. they will do whatever is necessary to get back on top.

Dawg61
05-31-2017, 04:27 PM
but I told him if you think the Vols, Dawgs and Gators are gong to stay down for long , forget it. they will do whatever is necessary to get back on top.

They'll have to get Saban fired to be on top again

AusTexDawg
05-31-2017, 05:03 PM

Don't know how much the SEC considered VA Tech, but UVA would be just as big a head scratcher as Mizzou is. They're a public version of Vandy, and the only reason Vandy "fits" in the SEC is because they've been around forever. Football has driven realignment. Vandy is, and UVA would be, an afterthought in football. Also, VA Tech got into the ACC with significant political pressure from Sen. (then Gov.) Mark Warner (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/virginia-tech-s-unique-journey-to-the-acc/16733003/) on UVA. Seems like UVA and VA Tech are joined at the hip.

UNC is to the ACC what Texas is to the Big XII - they run the show behind the scenes, so why would they want to leave the ACC for a league with (usually) tougher football and less prestigious academics?

I've always wondered if we shouldn't have made an offer to NC State. I suspect they have little brother issues like A&M does, and it seems like the same argument could be made that they could move out of big brother's shadow by joining the SEC.

drunkernhelldawg
05-31-2017, 05:40 PM
I don't like it. It's like Ole Miss being in the other division. It doesn't feel right.

Todd4State
05-31-2017, 05:41 PM
SEC needs to expand to 16. Add in NC State and Virginia Tech.

Go to four four team divisions.

MSU, Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn

LSU, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Mizzou

Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Virginia Tech

Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, NC State

You play every team in your division and then one from the other divisions and then two random- exception to be made for rivalries. Alabama, UT, Auburn, and Georgia play each other every year and then get one random apiece. That's eight SEC games.

Teams with the two best conference records play for the Championship. Tiebreaker is head to head followed by record in OOC games, followed by best points allowed/scored difference.

drunkernhelldawg
05-31-2017, 05:48 PM
Auburn wants to do that because the East is garbage and I don't blame that because it's a much easier path to Atlanta.

I wish they'd get rid of the divisions and the top two teams play for the championship. Just have a rotating schedule and each team has 3 or 4 set games a year to keep rivalries in tact. I think that'd be level the playing field between the east and west.

I'm okay with this idea. But if we do have divisions, I want to stick with our traditional opponents.

Goldendawg
05-31-2017, 08:40 PM
I know TV numbers were involved geographically and they won the East their 1st couple of years, but I will always think Missouri was not a good fit for the SEC.

Dawg61
05-31-2017, 09:23 PM
I'd love to add VTech but the ACC has made that nearly impossible with the $50 million dollar penalty to any school that leaves the ACC.

TUSK
06-01-2017, 10:11 AM
I'd love to add VTech but the ACC has made that nearly impossible with the $50 million dollar penalty to any school that leaves the ACC.

But wouldn't that be just ~1 year's worth of SEC Welfare?

Dawg61
06-01-2017, 10:38 AM
But wouldn't that be just ~1 year's worth of SEC Welfare?

If the SEC agrees to pay the fee then it's doable but I just don't see any ACC school willing to burn bridges with that conference. I think our best bet is two schools from the Big 12.

smootness
06-01-2017, 10:42 AM
SEC needs to expand to 16. Add in NC State and Virginia Tech.

Go to four four team divisions.

MSU, Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn

LSU, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Mizzou

Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Virginia Tech

Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, NC State

You play every team in your division and then one from the other divisions and then two random- exception to be made for rivalries. Alabama, UT, Auburn, and Georgia play each other every year and then get one random apiece. That's eight SEC games.

Teams with the two best conference records play for the Championship. Tiebreaker is head to head followed by record in OOC games, followed by best points allowed/scored difference.

One of these is not like the others.

Offshore Dawg
06-01-2017, 02:39 PM

I don't think "WE" had shit to do with it.