You just got smacked son, sit down!! Nice helmet toss too ya ****ing douche

https://twitter.com/DCBarno/status/869317842688200705

msstate7
05-29-2017, 05:44 PM
Hate that dude

Dawg61
05-29-2017, 05:51 PM
Hate that dude

Yup and apparently so does Hunter Strickland, this shit is far from over. Strickland aint the guy you wanna fight, gonna get real interesting when Bumgarner comes back and faces Harper, guarantee he throws at him as will Strickland again.

Todd4State
05-29-2017, 06:07 PM
That was a good one! Was Harper trying to throw the helmet at the pitcher or what was that?

Dawg61
05-29-2017, 06:26 PM
That was a good one! Was Harper trying to throw the helmet at the pitcher or what was that?

Haha think he was reenacting 50 Cent's throw, Strickland popped him right after that horrible toss but Harper gets him at the end too. Best fight since Odor/Bautista

shoeless joe
05-29-2017, 06:27 PM
Harper is the biggest diva in the game. BUT he can flat out smash.

MzTerry
05-29-2017, 06:28 PM

I think he was trying to make him flinch to make him vulnerable so he could get a wide open shot, but since he waited so late to do it it ended up leaving him vulnerable instead as his body was still winding back up from the throw of the helmet. I'm no Harper fan, but I don't fault him for it. Harper had faced him twice lifetime and hit a bomb both times. Strickland has every right to beam him and Harper has every right to charge the mound. No one was hurt. Let's move on. Let's not make baseball as PC as every other sport save NHL, please.

msstate7
05-29-2017, 06:28 PM
Harper is the biggest diva in the game. BUT he can flat out smash.

Trout is better and a not a douche

Dawg61
05-29-2017, 06:36 PM
4 Giants physically removed Strickland from the field and carried him into the clubhouse. I don't think I have ever seen that in any sport. Strickland was so mad it took 4 big ass dudes to restrain him.

The Federalist Engineer
05-29-2017, 06:45 PM
Buster Posey was ok with his pitcher fending for himself ... wonder how the locker room sees it

MedDawg
05-29-2017, 06:52 PM
My favorite is the Nolan Ryan-Robin Ventura fight. I think I saw it live on tv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdyeWgsa_R8

Dawg61
05-29-2017, 07:03 PM
Buster Posey was ok with his pitcher fending for himself ... wonder how the locker room sees it

Posey's shattered ankle he got 6 years ago excludes him from any brawls, they all know this.

Skydawg1
05-29-2017, 07:21 PM
My favorite is the Nolan Ryan-Robin Ventura fight. I think I saw it live on tv. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdyeWgsa_R8I was at that game with my brother. That shit was awesome.

msudawglb
05-29-2017, 07:27 PM
4 Giants physically removed Strickland from the field and carried him into the clubhouse. I don't think I have ever seen that in any sport. Strickland was so mad it took 4 big ass dudes to restrain him.

It was a bushleague move by Strickland. Harper hit 2 HR's off Strickland in the playoffs last seasons. Strickland plunked him for being good and getting the best of him. Strickland is the douche in my opinion.

Dawg61
05-29-2017, 07:32 PM
It was a bushleague move by Strickland. Harper hit 2 HR's off Strickland in the playoffs last seasons. Strickland plunked him for being good and getting the best of him. Strickland is the douche in my opinion.

Haha Strickland's revenge was from the 2014 playoffs not last year. Dude has been salty towards Harper for a long time. Probably had something to do with Posey just chillen behind home plate while Harper charged. Posey wasn't gonna interrupt a 3 year long wait for revenge for Strickland.

IMissJack
05-29-2017, 07:43 PM

Was about to post something similar. Wouldn't like it if my catcher sat back and watched, and yes I know he has a bad ankle. He is also the reason that you can't run over the catcher anymore, even though they have their butt planted in front of home plate, with equipment on. I don't really like Harper, he is a great hitter. However, a pitcher has to realize that if he throws intentionally at someone, that could happen. Let the players police it themselves. I wish pitchers could still throw some chin music and protect the inside portion of the plate, but anytime they come inside they get the warnings. The hitters have the advantage at that point.

ETA: At least in the National League, a pitcher that throws at someone has to bat. AL pitchers can do that all they want, and not have to ever face the music.

BuckyIsAB****
05-29-2017, 07:50 PM
Harper def lost that fight. Credit to him for taking that pitch to the ribs, idk if I could walk after let alone fight

msbulldog
05-29-2017, 07:51 PM
My favorite is the Nolan Ryan-Robin Ventura fight. I think I saw it live on tv. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdyeWgsa_R8

Boy there was some heat (players ) in that video.

The Federalist Engineer
05-29-2017, 09:04 PM
Posey's shattered ankle he got 6 years ago excludes him from any brawls, they all know this.

Ok, but...this is a baseball chicken fight, not underworld free style fighting in a Thailand brothel. He just needs to slow Harper down so the infield can come and surround his pitcher

shoeless joe
05-29-2017, 09:06 PM
Haha Strickland's revenge was from the 2014 playoffs not last year. Dude has been salty towards Harper for a long time. Probably had something to do with Posey just chillen behind home plate while Harper charged. Posey wasn't gonna interrupt a 3 year long wait for revenge for Strickland.

Yeah Byrnes on MLB said something similar. This was a long building feud with these two and posey knew Strickland wanted a piece of him. So he let em go at it. I don't read too much into it with how it all unfolded. Now if it was a random charge after getting hit or more of a team wide need then I'd question why posey laid out. But as is he was giving Strickland exactly what he wanted.

Of course Strickland could be as disliked in his clubhouse as Harper is and posey just didn't care to protect him, in not that familiar with Strickland.

msstate7
05-29-2017, 09:10 PM
I've always thought it kinda crazy to challenge pitchers. If anyone could throw a haymaker, it'd be an MLB pitcher with their arm strength

THE Bruce Dickinson
05-29-2017, 09:13 PM

Agreed. The unwritten rules of baseball are flat out retarded. I don't really like Harper, but I wish he would have beat Strickland's ass for this. If Strickland was so butthurt about Harper hitting 2 HRs against him he should have thrown better pitches. Also, just FYI if a guy in the NBA threw a punch at someone who dunked on him, he would be suspended 15% of the season, and promptly called a thug.

shoeless joe
05-29-2017, 09:29 PM
Agreed. The unwritten rules of baseball are flat out retarded. I don't really like Harper, but I wish he would have beat Strickland's ass for this. If Strickland was so butthurt about Harper hitting 2 HRs against him he should have thrown better pitches. Also, just FYI if a guy in the NBA threw a punch at someone who dunked on him, he would be suspended 15% of the season, and promptly called a thug.

What if said dunker rubbed his nuts on the guys face and taunted him all the way down the court. That's what Harper did and THATS why he got plunked. Anybody that says he was hit for hitting a homerun doesn't know what they're talking about. He was hit for showboating around the bags after hitting it.

Whether folks like it or not there is a certain way the game is supposed to be played. Nobody HAS to follow those rules but they then have to understand that there will be repercussions. Was bob Gibson a thug? He'd throw at your head if you made solid contact on a foul ball! Was Jackie Robinson a thug for going in spikes up after getting hammered turning two at second? Was will Clark being a thug when he tried to break up a double play by goin in hard on oquendo?

There are definitely instances of thuggish behavior in the bigs but defending yourself or your team against over the top behavior isn't one of them.

THE Bruce Dickinson
05-29-2017, 09:59 PM
What if said dunker rubbed his nuts on the guys face and taunted him all the way down the court.

This happens every night in the NBA. There are not fights every night. These pitchers need to have thicker skin. If someone hits a homerun and taunts you for it, simply don't let the guy hit a homer the next at bat. Throwing at them the next at bat is a total bitch move.

He was hit for showboating around the bags after hitting it.

So what?

Was bob Gibson a thug? He'd throw at your head if you made solid contact on a foul ball!

Yes

Was Jackie Robinson a thug for going in spikes up after getting hammered turning two at second? Was will Clark being a thug when he tried to break up a double play by goin in hard on oquendo?

Trying to break up a play for your team's success is a different story. Kind of like a hard foul in the NBA. If you are doing it to try to stop an important play in the game, I can understand that, but again if you are just butthurt about a batter getting the best of you, then that guy is a bitch.

Dawg61
05-29-2017, 10:11 PM
This happens every night in the NBA. There are not fights every night. These pitchers need to have thicker skin. If someone hits a homerun and taunts you for it, simply don't let the guy hit a homer the next at bat. Throwing at them the next at bat is a total bitch move.

So what?

Yes

Trying to break up a play for your team's success is a different story. Kind of like a hard foul in the NBA. If you are doing it to try to stop an important play in the game, I can understand that, but again if you are just butthurt about a batter getting the best of you, then that guy is a bitch.

If you haven't watched what Harper did in the 2014 playoffs to Strickland you should't be commenting on it. Harper deserved every bit of that pitch to his side today and he got smacked in the face on top of it. Embarrassing day for the douchebag Harper and I couldn't be happier about it :)

BeardoMSU
05-29-2017, 10:14 PM

This x10.

BeardoMSU
05-29-2017, 10:17 PM
He was hit for showboating around the bags after hitting it.

Like when pitchers stare down after a k?

This shit is juvenile, and for some reason baseball and hockey are the only sports where this kind of infantile bull shit is tolerated, if not celebrated.

THE Bruce Dickinson
05-29-2017, 10:32 PM
If you haven't watched what Harper did in the 2014 playoffs to Strickland you should't be commenting on it. Harper deserved every bit of that pitch to his side today and he got smacked in the face on top of it. Embarrassing day for the douchebag Harper and I couldn't be happier about it :)

I don't care if Harper flipped him off the entire time he was rounding the bases.

Bully13
05-29-2017, 10:35 PM
My favorite is the Nolan Ryan-Robin Ventura fight. I think I saw it live on tv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdyeWgsa_R8

That never gets old. Talked to a guy who was good friend of one of Ventura's asst. Coaches in college (was it ok state?), he calls Robin after and asked him what the 17 was he thinking about. .Robin admitted 17ing up and acknowledged Ryan also had a helluva uppercut.

THE Bruce Dickinson
05-29-2017, 10:42 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USC-pqLqsgw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5DQvctE4m0

Here are the 2 videos of why Harper got hit tonight.

Video evidence confirms that Strickland is a bitch.

Harper should have hit him with the bat. Wonder if that can be a new unwritten rule? *

msstate7
05-29-2017, 10:46 PM

Harper should have hit him with the bat. Wonder if that can be a new unwritten rule? *

Is graveman a b*tch too? You side with mainieri?

ETA... believe it was mason katz

shoeless joe
05-29-2017, 11:10 PM
Like when pitchers stare down after a k?

This shit is juvenile, and for some reason baseball and hockey are the only sports where this kind of infantile bull shit is tolerated, if not celebrated.

A stare down isn't showboating. If a pitchers fist pumps after every K and does an over the top celebration then absolutely that would be showboating.

The striking out of a hitter is the big signifying act...as is the hitting of the homerun. nothing else is needed. You punked the pitcher by blasting his pitch 400+ ft, there's no need to now do a "look at me, I'm better than you" celebration. We all witnessed that fact by the homer you just hit.

Harper had made this bed with other teams and even players on his own team...now he's gotta sleep in it. If he can handle it and still act the way he wants to act then more power to him, but he's the one making himself a target.

How many time did Fred mcgriff or cal Ripken get nailed on purpose for something they'd done in a game? They played the game with class and were respected because of it

MaroonState
05-29-2017, 11:16 PM
Did y'all watch the replays? Nothing showboat about them. Announcers even said he was waiting to see if they were going to stay fair or not. And Strickland landed a slap if you watch it from the other angle. Harper landed a solid shot to the nose. Although Strickland took that shot like a man. Got nothing for or against Harper or Strickland but that was a p*ssy bitch ass move by Strickland. I mean 2014 was when the HRs were hit and he waits til 2017? Wtf?! So if they never squared off against each other again was Strickland gonna kick over Harper's wheelchair in the nursing home?

dawgs
05-29-2017, 11:33 PM
Was about to post something similar. Wouldn't like it if my catcher sat back and watched, and yes I know he has a bad ankle. He is also the reason that you can't run over the catcher anymore, even though they have their butt planted in front of home plate, with equipment on. I don't really like Harper, he is a great hitter. However, a pitcher has to realize that if he throws intentionally at someone, that could happen. Let the players police it themselves. I wish pitchers could still throw some chin music and protect the inside portion of the plate, but anytime they come inside they get the warnings. The hitters have the advantage at that point.

ETA: At least in the National League, a pitcher that throws at someone has to bat. AL pitchers can do that all they want, and not have to ever face the music.

Relievers don't usually hit all that often, even in the NL.

As for who is the douche, I think giving up bombs to a guy and acting like a ***** and throwing at the guy 3 years later is a much bigger bitch move. Harper didn't even do anything that should have left Strickland so butthurt that 3 years later he's still obsessing over it. Definitely seemed like most of the Giants didn't give a **** about whatever little revenge fantasy Strickland had planned out.

dawgs
05-29-2017, 11:43 PM
Did y'all watch the replays? Nothing showboat about them. Announcers even said he was waiting to see if they were going to stay fair or not. And Strickland landed a slap if you watch it from the other angle. Harper landed a solid shot to the nose. Although Strickland took that shot like a man. Got nothing for or against Harper or Strickland but that was a p*ssy bitch ass move by Strickland. I mean 2014 was when the HRs were hit and he waits til 2017? Wtf?! So if they never squared off against each other again was Strickland gonna kick over Harper's wheelchair in the nursing home?

Because his name is Bryce Harper, anything short of straight up sprinting around the bases without acknowledging a HR means he's the epitome of everything wrong with America or something. I've literally never seen people get some mad about a player that plays the game exactly how those same people complain about players not playing the game that way anymore.

I know most of y'all in here are braves fans, but it makes actual criticism more effective if you actually root it in facts and don't constantly show how hypocritical and biased you (not you in particular, but more for the board in general) are in discussion players. How Harper watched those HRs is exactly how HRs are watched every single day in MLB without any incident or outrage. Same thing as a year or 2 ago when Harper was benched for not sprinting out a routine groundball. Every ****ing game guys jog out routine groundballs, but because Harper did it, it's an indeictment on his character.

Todd4State
05-30-2017, 12:36 AM
This is just how baseball polices itself. I don't really have a problem with what either Harper or Strickland did. If they are offended by what each other did- that's between them and they obviously handled it.

If you hit a home run or do something to show up the other team as hitter- just know that you run the risk of getting hit or one of your teammates getting hit. I think there is a little bit more leeway in the playoffs on that kind of thing because of the intensity of those games and also how much is on the line. If I hit a game winning home run to win the World Series- I and every other person in the world is going to celebrate the hell out of that. If the pitcher I hit that ball off of is offended by how I acted by celebrating and wants to hit me down the line- he knows that he runs the risk of me running out to the mound and kicking his ass. Because that's how it's handled in baseball.

And by the same token- if you are a pitcher and you don't want hitters showing you up- get them out and don't let them hit balls off of Monuments in DC. Strike the guy out next time and stare him down. Or you can hit him down the line but as I said just know that if you do there is a good chance that the guy is going to charge the mound and there's an even better chance that the other team is going to hit one of your guys. If you are a pitcher and you fist pump striking out a guy or stare hitters down don't be surprised when the pimp home runs off of you.

Todd4State
05-30-2017, 12:37 AM
Is graveman a b*tch too? You side with mainieri?

ETA... believe it was mason katz

It was. The funny part about that was I was at that game and while Manieri was whining and trying his darndest to get Graveman kicked out of the game the umpire wasn't having any of it and our guys were laughing about it in the field.

CadaverDawg
05-30-2017, 12:41 AM
Allow me to give an unbiased opinion on this....

I can't watch MLB....just highlights mostly. But I did watch this episode and what "caused" it in 2014. My thoughts are that Bryce Harper just comes across as an unlikeable prick, and Strickland comes across as a big bastard that is basically a nobody middle relief guy or closer. I could see myself wanting to hit Bryce Harper, but not Bc of the 2014 HR's....just for being a prick that tries to show people up in other highlights I've seen. Strickland probably just wanted to plunk that douche and beat his ass if he got brave....Harper had every right to charge the mound. I can tell you this, if Bryce Harper didn't act like such a prick in general, Strickland wouldn't have hit him. So anybody saying it was "for hitting 2 HR's off of him", is crazy. Harper's known as a dramatic prick, and Strickland's a nobody that wanted to shut him up and probably thought "what have I got to lose, he's going to bomb me if I don't walk him anyway". Strickland needs to man up, and Harper needs to quit being a punk. They're both at fault. If Hunter Renfroe hits 2 bombs in 2 ab's vs Strickland, nothing is done in ab #3. But when a punk ass lights you up twice, it grinds on you and makes you want to retaliate....but if Strickland was really a bad ass, he woulda struck Bryce out and then stared his ass to the dugout, not hit him. At least he didn't hit him in the head with the pitch though

Dawg61
05-30-2017, 05:04 AM
You are missing about 30 seconds in the 2nd video and it's those 30 seconds that got Harper wearing a pitch 3 years later. He literally stares Strickland down the entire time he is trotting around the bases and then when he gets back in the dugout he screams "**** you" at him from the top row of the dugout. Harper knew it was coming that's why he charged the mound and Posey knew it was coming that's why he didn't try to stop Harper. Gonna let the two fight which they both clearly wanted. Strickland won the fight but this isn't over between these two teams. Don't forget the Nats manager is Dusty Baker the Giants previous manager before they fired him. Harper is also very much disliked by the old school players/coaches and I still believe there's some major dislike towards him from the Paps fans out there and guess who is the Giants new assistant coach in the dugout this year but none other than MSU's Will Clark who might just be good friends with MSU's Jonathan Papelbon. Pretty much these two teams hate each other and there's two more games to go. Somebody is gonna get thrown at today.

Bully13
05-30-2017, 06:51 AM
Thanks for that info. Didn't know Clark was coaching. Definitely gonna tune into the hilties tonight.

THE Bruce Dickinson
05-30-2017, 07:54 AM
WHO CARES?

Lebron and Draymond clearly don't like each other but I'm sure that they won't be allowed to have a fist fight at center court. So I guess you would be all for that though ?

Dawg61
05-30-2017, 08:22 AM
WHO CARES?

Lebron and Draymond clearly don't like each other but I'm sure that they won't be allowed to have a fist fight at center court. So I guess you would be all for that though ?

Yea I would, put a penalty box at the end of the bench too just like the ones in hockey and left the fans bang on the glass and talk shit to LeBron also. That'd be the best thing to happen to the NBA in twenty years. I'd also like MLB to get rid of instant replay so we can see managers arguing with umps and getting tossed like it used to be. I like imperfection in my sports.

fader2103
05-30-2017, 08:35 AM

Thank you for posting. This shows that all Harper did in 2014 was run hard after hitting a homer. Unless the people who hate Harper wanna say the fist pump is to much celebrating or showboating. People need to realize Harper actually plays the game hard. I agree Trout is better than Harper, but man I love watching Harper play.

fader2103
05-30-2017, 08:41 AM
You are missing about 30 seconds in the 2nd video and it's those 30 seconds that got Harper wearing a pitch 3 years later. He literally stares Strickland down the entire time he is trotting around the bases and then when he gets back in the dugout he screams "**** you" at him from the top row of the dugout. Harper knew it was coming that's why he charged the mound and Posey knew it was coming that's why he didn't try to stop Harper. Gonna let the two fight which they both clearly wanted. Strickland won the fight but this isn't over between these two teams. Don't forget the Nats manager is Dusty Baker the Giants previous manager before they fired him. Harper is also very much disliked by the old school players/coaches and I still believe there's some major dislike towards him from the Paps fans out there and guess who is the Giants new assistant coach in the dugout this year but none other than MSU's Will Clark who might just be good friends with MSU's Jonathan Papelbon. Pretty much these two teams hate each other and there's two more games to go. Somebody is gonna get thrown at today.

What if Strickland was mouthing off to Harper, while Harper was rounding the bases, would that give him a reason to stare Strickland down? Don't act like you know what is going on with these two. Strickland is a punk for something happening 2 1/2 years ago

THE Bruce Dickinson
05-30-2017, 08:46 AM

Wait so a star down by the pitcher is not showboating, but a stare down by the batter is ? You baseball purists need to get your unwritten rules on the same page. This is just proving my point even more.

Dawg61
05-30-2017, 08:52 AM
This shows that all Harper did in 2014 was run hard after hitting a homer.

No the video he posted doesn't show what got Strickland so pissed he waited 3 years for his revenge. That video cuts off the Harper stare down and his antics in the dugout. This is the best video I can find to show some of what Harper did that led to him getting beaned yesterday. If you act like Harper did following a homerun in the playoffs at the Giants stadium you're gonna find yourself wearing a fastball to the ribs in your future even if that means 3 years down the road. Btw Bautista wore a pitch the following year for pimping his playoff homerun and bat flipping like a douche too. Don't show up and embarrass the pitcher during the playoffs. They don't forget.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x27ki7d_bryce-harper-hits-mammoth-home-run-stares-down-hunter-strickland_sport

Oh and here's the Papelbon video just cause

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1HjwToIdSU

Dawg61
05-30-2017, 08:57 AM
What if Strickland was mouthing off to Harper, while Harper was rounding the bases, would that give him a reason to stare Strickland down? Don't act like you know what is going on with these two. Strickland is a punk for something happening 2 1/2 years ago

I follow the Giants closer than anyone else on this board so I would say I have a better idea than most. Strickland absolutely stared down Harper the first homerun of the playoffs but Harper took it to the extreme on the second one and him cussing at Strickland on top of it is what got him wearing fastballs 3 years later. This shit isn't over either. Bumgarner and Strickland will absolutely throw at Harper again wether that's this year or next it is coming. Jason Werth is gonna wear a fastball too. Grab your popcorn boys.

Bully13
05-30-2017, 09:09 AM
Everybody knows this has always been part of the game and it's been developing over the decades. Back in the days of Ruth and Cobb, you could get beaned for digging in your spikes in the batters box.

Pitchers will always have access to the inside of the plate and sometimes batters get hit. If it is obviously intentional, there will be fights and fans will argue as to whose the punk, puss, or genuine asshole.

That being said, "Play Ball!!"

shoeless joe
05-30-2017, 10:04 AM
What's funny to me is that there are folks that say "this is what's wrong with baseball" then there are folks like me that say "this is what I love about baseball". Don't know who's right or wrong but I do know which side most players and a vast majority of former players side with.

Go back and look up the story dale murphy tells about getting hit by tom glavine after the braves traded him...and, I believe this is correct, Bobby cox told his pitcher to hit Roger McDowell 4-5 years later over that whole incident because that was his first chance at revenge. I could have my stories mixed up but both of those things happened between 90-95.

I haven't watched the videos posted but MLB network showed exactly why Harper got plunked. He was running his mouth rounding the bases and in the dugout. Now whether or not Strickland should have stated him down after the first one is up for debate but everybody in the game knows why he was hit. And cadaver is also correct, to the players in the game Harper is known as a punk bitch plain and simple. He's a studd and can rake but his teammates and opposing players aren't huge fans of his act.

smootness
05-30-2017, 10:54 AM
I follow the Giants closer than anyone else on this board so I would say I have a better idea than most. Strickland absolutely stared down Harper the first homerun of the playoffs but Harper took it to the extreme on the second one and him cussing at Strickland on top of it is what got him wearing fastballs 3 years later. This shit isn't over either. Bumgarner and Strickland will absolutely throw at Harper again wether that's this year or next it is coming. Jason Werth is gonna wear a fastball too. Grab your popcorn boys.

Strickland is a turd. It takes a lot for me to side with Harper, and here we are. Pretty much everyone, even across baseball, has agreed that what Strickland did is stupid, and the fact that he was smushing Pence's face and it took 5 teammates just to get him to the dugout shows the state of mind he was in.

Posey didn't let him go because he thought both guys wanted to fight. He let him go because he didn't agree with what Strickland did. Pretty clear.

If you think Strickland wasn't saying anything to Harper on the 2nd HR, I don't know what to tell you. I am all for hitting guys who show up pitchers, but I also think the better response is to strike the guy out and then pimp the K.

shoeless joe
05-30-2017, 12:19 PM
Strickland is a turd. It takes a lot for me to side with Harper, and here we are. Pretty much everyone, even across baseball, has agreed that what Strickland did is stupid, and the fact that he was smushing Pence's face and it took 5 teammates just to get him to the dugout shows the state of mind he was in.

Posey didn't let him go because he thought both guys wanted to fight. He let him go because he didn't agree with what Strickland did. Pretty clear.

If you think Strickland wasn't saying anything to Harper on the 2nd HR, I don't know what to tell you. I am all for hitting guys who show up pitchers, but I also think the better response is to strike the guy out and then pimp the K.

100% agree that Stricklands act of getting offended about just about anything involved in a homerun is a bit much. Him having to get drug off the field...again, over the top. But this isn't the first and won't be the last time Harper gets plunked for a perceived slight of showing up an opponent. But I personally don't have an issue with him hitting Harper 3 years later if he felt slighted.

Hell, I wish the braves would brush him back a time or three so he'll quit anialating their pitching.

Dawg61
05-30-2017, 12:39 PM
100% agree that Stricklands act of getting offended about just about anything involved in a homerun is a bit much. Him having to get drug off the field...again, over the top. But this isn't the first and won't be the last time Harper gets plunked for a perceived slight of showing up an opponent. But I personally don't have an issue with him hitting Harper 3 years later if he felt slighted.

Hell, I wish the braves would brush him back a time or three so he'll quit anialating their pitching.

Yup Harper gonna keep getting thrown at as long as he keeps acting like he can beat everyone's ass. Yesterday didn't do him any favors with that perception. He seriously acts like the spoiled brat 14 year old whose daddy owns the Ford dealership down the road and is the biggest donor to the little league park so he thinks he can act like a total dick to every other kid playing. This ain't little league and grown men don't put up with punks. Harper needs about 200 more wearable pitches till maybe it'll sink in but pretty sure you could bean him with every pitch and he'd keep on acting like a dickhead to everyone. Hope isn't completely lost tho Yasiel Puig was acting similarly to Harper all the way up till late last year and now he's cleaned up his act since the Dodgers sent him to AA for a month and threatened to trade him. He has a totally different attitude this year. Hopefully Harper can grow in the same way Puig has cause there's no doubt Harper has HOF talent.

Todd4State
05-30-2017, 12:58 PM
WHO CARES?

Who's allowing them? They both got ejected from the game and both will be fined and suspended.

THE Bruce Dickinson
05-30-2017, 01:15 PM
Let's see how long they are suspended.... I suspect it will be a pretty light punishment because what they did is an " unwritten rule of the game"

Imagine just for one second if Odell Beckham took his helmet off and threw it at Josh Norman in the middle of a game, and then tried to fight him. They would probably get suspended half of the season (which they should).

Think Major League Baseball is going to suspend either of these players for 80 games ? Answer that honestly, and you will see what the problem is.

Dawg61
05-30-2017, 01:58 PM
Answer that honestly, and you will see what the problem is.

Brawls in baseball haven't been a problem for 110+ years but now that we are in the SJW era it's suddenly a problem. Both players I am guessing will get between 5-10 game suspensions.

smootness
05-30-2017, 02:42 PM
Let's see how long they are suspended.... I suspect it will be a pretty light punishment because what they did is an " unwritten rule of the game"

Imagine just for one second if Odell Beckham took his helmet off and threw it at Josh Norman in the middle of a game, and then tried to fight him. They would probably get suspended half of the season (which they should).

Think Major League Baseball is going to suspend either of these players for 80 games ? Answer that honestly, and you will see what the problem is.

Seriously?

Andre Johnson and Cortland Finnegan ripped each other's helmets off during a play a few years ago and then started swinging wildly at each other's faces. They each got fined $25,000, no suspension. Antonio Smith ripped off Richie Incognito's helmet and swung it at him during a preseason game and was suspended for 1 regular-season game.

THE Bruce Dickinson
05-30-2017, 03:29 PM
Seriously?

Andre Johnson and Cortland Finnegan ripped each other's helmets off during a play a few years ago and then started swinging wildly at each other's faces. They each got fined $25,000, no suspension. Antonio Smith ripped off Richie Incognito's helmet and swung it at him during a preseason game and was suspended for 1 regular-season game.

That's a fair point. I kind of got away from my original point as well.

A baseball player doesn't have the right to throw a very hard ball 90+ MPH at someone that they think celebrated too much on a homerun. Period.

That would be like NFL safeties crowning wide receivers in the middle of a route the because they spiked the ball earlier in the game when they scored a touchdown. No one would say "that's just part of the game".

Bully13
05-30-2017, 04:03 PM
No need to compare protocols between different sports. Not logical.

smootness
05-30-2017, 04:36 PM
That's a fair point. I kind of got away from my original point as well.

A baseball player doesn't have the right to throw a very hard ball 90+ MPH at someone that they think celebrated too much on a homerun. Period.

That would be like NFL safeties crowning wide receivers in the middle of a route the because they spiked the ball earlier in the game when they scored a touchdown. No one would say "that's just part of the game".

The punishment would be the same as for any other time when a DB unnecessarily hit a WR with the crown of the helmet. And the penalty for throwing at a player is the same for any other time you do that - the guy gets 1B.

I don't want to put MLB in a position where they're having to determine intent on pitches and institute subjective punishment as a result. I would hope no one wants that. I think the game works just fine. Batters are allowed to pimp their HR all they want, but they know if they do, there may be consequences. A pitcher can throw at a batter all they want, but they will eventually be thrown out, suspended if it continues to happen, and the batter may come after them, and if they do the batter now has a bat and the pitcher has nothing.

I just don't know why people make a huge deal about it either way. I think guys who pimp HR are punks and that the most effective way to deal with it is for a pitcher to pimp the heck out of it the next time he K's that guy. But I also don't really have a problem with them throwing at guys. I do think Strickland is stupid here, I think Harper is usually stupid, and the fact that they fought over it is funny and entertaining.

dawgs
05-30-2017, 05:17 PM
Can we get specific examples of how Harper is such a huge prick/douche/punk/etc. with a compare and contrast to a wide range of other MLB guys on similar plays so we can establish exactly when Harper crosses the line to justify the hate, because having watched him his whole career, just seems to me that most people were predisposed to hate him from the time he was a teenager on the cover of SI, and everything since is just confirmation bias.

dawgs
05-30-2017, 05:20 PM

Making a lot of assumptions, especially assuming there's anger out there over the paps stuff when paps was one of the least liked players in baseball for years. I highly doubt there's many players out there that hold a grudge over the paps/Harper incident. Paps was a douchebag when he was at state the same time I was going to school, and he only got worse with money and fame from what I could see on tv.

dawgs
05-30-2017, 05:22 PM

Cool, so the Giants are picking up the douchebag policing of the unwritten rules of baseball previously held by the braves? Now I know I can just hate the Giants for a few years until they get over sniffing their own farts.

msstate7
05-30-2017, 05:24 PM
Cool, so the Giants are picking up the douchebag policing of the unwritten rules of baseball previously held by the braves? Now I know I can just hate the Giants for a few years until they get over sniffing their own farts.

Leave the braves out of this haha

Bully13
05-30-2017, 05:53 PM
So has game 2 started ? Any gossip? Has anybody dissed somebody's mommy? Any chin music reported?

Dawg61
05-30-2017, 05:58 PM
So has game 2 started ? Any gossip? Has anybody dissed somebody's mommy? Any chin music reported?

Last game of the night to start 10:15 eastern, I'll be watching

Dawg61
05-30-2017, 06:01 PM
Can we get specific examples of how Harper is such a huge prick/douche/punk/etc. with a compare and contrast to a wide range of other MLB guys on similar plays so we can establish exactly when Harper crosses the line to justify the hate, because having watched him his whole career, just seems to me that most people were predisposed to hate him from the time he was a teenager on the cover of SI, and everything since is just confirmation bias.

If you can't already see that Harper is a gigantic douchebag I can't help you. That's like asking me to give you examples of how Justin Bieber or Kanye West are gigantic douchebags.

shoeless joe
05-30-2017, 06:17 PM
Harper suspended 4 Strickland 6. I think 2 and 4 would have been more appropriate but they definitely didn't hammer them like I was afraid they would

Dawg61
05-30-2017, 06:21 PM
Harper suspended 4 Strickland 6. I think 2 and 4 would have been more appropriate but they definitely didn't hammer them like I was afraid they would

Both players have appealed and are available tonight. Harper is in the starting lineup.

IMissJack
05-30-2017, 06:38 PM
Quite frankly, I like to see this kind of drama every once in a while in baseball. Certainly makes it more entertaining. Let the players handle it.

dawgs
05-30-2017, 07:09 PM
If you can't already see that Harper is a gigantic douchebag I can't help you. That's like asking me to give you examples of how Justin Bieber or Kanye West are gigantic douchebags.

Disregard the hair and tats (neither of which are uncommon in 2017 MLB) and only focus on his play on the field. What specific plays go about and beyond most other players on the douchebag/prick/punk scale?

dawgs
05-30-2017, 07:14 PM
Leave the braves out of this haha

Hey, I don't mind the braves again now that they've gotten rid of the douchebags that thought they were in charge of regulating the unspoken rules of baseball. Y'all have a stockpile of talent coming too, definitely on the Cubs/astros trajectory to relevance. I'd guess that by 2020 y'all are making the playoffs. Maybe get there a year sooner in 2019, or at least compete for a spot in 2019. Hopefully they don't all think they are Brian McCann.

Bucky Dog
05-30-2017, 07:22 PM
So in summary, Harper is a prick and not liked by many. He is really good and bashing two home runs off of Strickland 3 years ago warranted taunting by Strickland. Harper gave it back to him and Strickland got all red neck and decided to this year throw a 98 MPH fast ball at him just because! Strickland is wrong in this case and probably should be suspended 7/10 games. Harper may get a 2-3 game but he HAD to go after him. Probably even earned some respect from his team and others for it.

Dawg61
05-30-2017, 07:28 PM
Disregard the hair and tats (neither of which are uncommon in 2017 MLB) and only focus on his play on the field. What specific plays go about and beyond most other players on the douchebag/prick/punk scale?

Bryce Harper is a phenomenal baseball player don't get me wrong but I will say really it's just his cocky disposition towards everyone, reporters, umps, other players, his ghey hair flip routine, his pouty attitude when he's struggling and his temper. One instance stands out in my mind when the ump told him to step in the box and Harper just went ape shit outta nowhere and got tossed in about 2 seconds. You saw the same attitude come out immediately towards Papelbon when he told him to run the ball out and you saw it immediately when Strickland hit him. He is always 1 second away from snapping like a Jerry Springer participant. Permanently pissed off 24/7. It just rubs me the wrong way when a guy is making $300 million dollars and still acting like a 16 year old punk. Can you remember him laughing or hell even ****ing smiling EVER? I can't.

shoeless joe
05-30-2017, 07:58 PM

In my mind the whole papelbon incident sums it up. Harper wants to go hard and play all out except for when HE decides he doesn't need to. That attitude is exactly what we see in high school nowadays with the lack of being able to handle a little adversity so I'm just going to pout and decide it's not worth me giving effort. Then when somebody wants to say something about it he wants to act like he's too good to be criticized. This attitude is not uncommon in today's game with the young folks and it's exactly what Harper portrays.

Harper has the physical tools and talent to overcome that attitude...even tho it does hold him back. But the overwhelming majority of kids don't. But when they see it with Harper they think it's acceptable and won't hold them back. I've seen numerous kids fail at the game almost exclusively because of that attitude.

also, he directs his words and anger/celebration at the other team quite a bit. A guy fist pumping around the bases after a bomb isn't a gigantic deal, especially on a game changing homer, but directing anything towards the opponent...a la; Carlos Gomez...is unacceptable in the game. (Not sure why you're hung up on McCann because that was one of the most blatant instances of poor sportsmanship I've ever seen in the bigs.)

All that being said, the dude is a player and I would pay money to watch him hit.

dawgs
05-30-2017, 08:03 PM
Bryce Harper is a phenomenal baseball player don't get me wrong but I will say really it's just his cocky disposition towards everyone, reporters, umps, other players, his ghey hair flip routine, his pouty attitude when he's struggling and his temper. One instance stands out in my mind when the ump told him to step in the box and Harper just went ape shit outta nowhere and got tossed in about 2 seconds. You saw the same attitude come out immediately towards Papelbon when he told him to run the ball out and you saw it immediately when Strickland hit him. He is always 1 second away from snapping like a Jerry Springer participant. Permanently pissed off 24/7. It just rubs me the wrong way when a guy is making $300 million dollars and still acting like a 16 year old punk. Can you remember him laughing or hell even ****ing smiling EVER? I can't.

I've seen him laugh and smile a lot, but I lived in DC when he came up and watched him more than pretty much everyone else in this thread (probably combined). He's also not making $300M yet. With paps, Harper literally treated a routine groundball the exact same way that literally dozens of other players treat routine groundballs literally every single day of the season. Paps is a known asshole throughout the big leagues, and I can personally vouch for his asshole-ness having hung out around him when he was as msu. Dude is the stereotypical, big headed, super loud obnoxious athlete that thinks he should tell his peers how to do shit. I know he's a msu alum, but there's thousands of msu alums out there and I'm not gonna like all of them and I know I don't like some of them. He's one that I don't like. Again, that whole thing is just one big confirmation bias for anyone that's already decided they didn't like Harper because of his hair.

Dawg61
05-30-2017, 08:10 PM
Again, that whole thing is just one big confirmation bias for anyone that's already decided they didn't like Harper because of his hair.

Haha I listed like ten reasons and not one of them was cause of his ****ing hair dude. His hair FLIP that he does when he gets back to the dugout was one of the reasons not his actual ****ing hair or haircut. That I don't give two shits about. Look I ain't changing your mind about Harper and I don't want to and you ain't changing mine so let's just leave it at that. I am a Giants fan and you're a Nats fan. I am glad you stick up for your boy he is a hell of a player. Not so glad you keep throwing shade on my boy Papelbon tho.