PDA

View Full Version : Hattiesburg Regional

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 03:39 PM
Interesting to me that USM has chosen to play the early game on Friday. Now we can see if they win/lose and who they pitch before deciding on a starter technically. In my opinion, we should see if they pitch their Ace and if they win or lose before making our decision. If they somehow lose, I think you go ahead and pitch Pilk in game 1 to make sure we win & face Illinois Chicago for a chance at the Regional final. Thoughts?

msstate7
05-29-2017, 03:41 PM
Nothing to add... you nailed it. Didn't even think of that

smootness
05-29-2017, 03:47 PM
It's tough to have two guys prepare as a starter knowing one won't end up pitching, though. Might be tough to prepare to start on Friday, then not and have to get prepared again to pitch Saturday.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 03:49 PM
It's tough to have two guys prepare as a starter knowing one won't end up pitching, though. Might be tough to prepare to start on Friday, then not and have to get prepared again to pitch Saturday.

Totally understand that, however we're playing with a very short handed staff, so that's a risk I think you have to take

Dawg61
05-29-2017, 03:50 PM
Problem with that is starting pitchers have game day routines and routines 4-5 days out to get themselves ready to pitch and when you don't give either guy the heads up till 2 hours before it ****s up both pitchers routines. I'd rather Cann settles on the 3 day SP rotation as soon as possible so the 3 guys can start getting ready in whatever way they each do to be ready for their turn. Relief pitchers don't need heads up, starting pitchers do.

I seen it dawg
05-29-2017, 03:54 PM
This ain't the majors. We can make a starter decision on the pitcher after usm plays. Our starter will be fine with relation to preparation.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 03:55 PM
Problem with that is starting pitchers have game day routines and routines 4-5 days out to get themselves ready to pitch and when you don't give either guy the heads up till 2 hours before it ****s up both pitchers routines. I'd rather Cann settles on the 3 day SP rotation as soon as possible so the 3 guys can start getting ready in whatever way they each do to be ready for their turn. Relief pitchers don't need heads up, starting pitchers do.

Fair enough. Can't argue that, just a thought I was having.

So what if USM loses game 1 & we win game 1 with Cole...do you dare save Pilk for the Final? I say no, Bc we don't really have a 3rd starter and to me it's more important to get to the final in 2 games. Plus, say we win, Pilk would be on short rest for the SR.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 03:56 PM
This ain't the majors. We can make a starter decision on the pitcher after usm plays. Our starter will be fine with relation to preparation.

Kinda what I was thinking. But I am not afraid to admit that I have no idea the "routines" a SEC pitcher deals with. I pitched in high school, and if I was told the day of the game, so be it.

Commercecomet24
05-29-2017, 03:57 PM

Yep! All these kids are travel ball kids and are used to pitching in whatever role is required, I.e. Starting, relieving, last minute changes. They can handle it.

msstate7
05-29-2017, 03:57 PM
Fair enough. Can't argue that, just a thought I was having.

So what if USM loses game 1 & we win game 1 with Cole...do you dare save Pilk for the Final? I say no, Bc we don't really have a 3rd starter and to me it's more important to get to the final in 2 games. Plus, say we win, Pilk would be on short rest for the SR.

We're a long way from even worrying about this, but I'd keep Cole 1st and pilk day 2 vs lsu. Pilk doesn't really give us an advantage vs Lange, but he does vs poche

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 04:00 PM
We're a long way from even worrying about this, but I'd keep Cole 1st and pilk day 2 vs lsu. Pilk doesn't really give us an advantage vs Lange, but he does vs poche

Good point. We gotta be willing to get creative & take some risks with pitching rotation if we want to somehow go on a magical run to Omaha. Some of these decisions could backfire, but we aren't winning many Sat or Sun pitching duels going forward regardless without mixing it up. So get creative, find mismatches, and try to capitalize on the few you have.

Dawg61
05-29-2017, 04:07 PM

Do you think you gain more of an advantage for your team and pitchers by giving them a proper heads up on when they are pitching or by switching your rotation last second cause USM got upset? Odds are USM doesn't get upset which means you then have not given either pitcher a proper heads up and you gained zero advantage by waiting to see what USM does. Basically you just ****ed yourself by trying to be cute to gain a tiny advantage.

BuckyIsAB****
05-29-2017, 04:11 PM
What are the odds that we get knocked out? Not trying to be negative just wanna see what folks think

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 04:14 PM
Another thought, I like saving Pilk for USM for another reason...

If we're going to get put out in Hattiesburg, let's try to make sure it's by one of the teams not named USM. Saving Pilk for game 2 gives us our most likely chance of winning the Regional or if we lose it, not losing it to USM.

msstate7
05-29-2017, 04:15 PM
What are the odds that we get knocked out? Not trying to be negative just wanna see what folks think

Knocked out of this regional? I say around 60%

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 04:18 PM

Very likely we don't win this Regional. Above 50% imo

USM is red hot and can swing the sticks...not to mention they are at home.

South Alabama won their conference, and was a 2 seed in the last D1 projection, so they have to be one of the toughest 3 seeds.

Meanwhile, many don't know this, but Illinois Chicago has one of the best ERA's in the country as a staff....and we all know our history this season with being shut down by a mid major pitcher that we make look like Sandy Koufax

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 04:21 PM
https://d1baseball.com/player/6sgbTRjq/jake-dahlberg/

https://d1baseball.com/player/pOwjLL1e/reid-birlingmair/

https://d1baseball.com/player/VKbic50W/jack-andersen/

Those 3 pitchers are pretty damn good

The Federalist Engineer
05-29-2017, 04:22 PM

10% - you have remember that a USM player is somebody we did not want, not even Alabama... you respect they can beat you and play with focus but this is Our State and Our Regional

Quaoarsking
05-29-2017, 04:23 PM

True, but starts can get rearranged any weekend due to weather.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 04:26 PM
Anybody able to break down South Alabama and USM? Give us an idea of who we will likely face on the hill...Lefty or Righty

BB30
05-29-2017, 04:32 PM
If we go pilk game 2 which I still think he goes game one...who would you start game 1? I personally think you go pilk game one hope he can give you 7-8 good innings so we can save what little bullpen we have and or we get lucky and hanga bunch of runs early In the game and get him out of there with a chance to bring him back later in the weekend. Gordon did throw the ball well and so did plumlee so we do have some options will be interesting to see what the coaches come up with.

Dawg61
05-29-2017, 04:34 PM
True, but starts can get rearranged any weekend due to weather.

Usually you don't change your starting pitcher because of a rain delay unless the rain delay is in the middle of the game and lasts awhile. Also who your opponent is doesn't usually change because of a rain delay either. You don't worry about things you can't control you prepare the best you can with the information you have already. Again odds are that USM wins so you gained no advantage by waiting and actually hurt your SP's preparation/mentality by waiting till last second to let him know he is pitching.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 04:35 PM
Apparently we will face Randy Bell for South Alabama.

RHP from Woodville, MS
He is 5-3 with a 3.97 ERA
90 innings pitched, 101 Hits, 16 BB, 85 K's

Throws a lot of strikes, which is good Bc we don't take pitches.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 04:57 PM
South Alabama beat us, LSU, & Auburn midweek this year, and lost twice to USM. Of their 39 wins, only 3 were against the rpi top 50, and 31 were against rpi 100+ teams.

I seen it dawg
05-29-2017, 05:02 PM
Do you think you gain more of an advantage for your team and pitchers by giving them a proper heads up on when they are pitching or by switching your rotation last second cause USM got upset? Odds are USM doesn't get upset which means you then have not given either pitcher a proper heads up and you gained zero advantage by waiting to see what USM does. Basically you just ****ed yourself by trying to be cute to gain a tiny advantage.

More than likely we won't make a last minute decision but if we do it will be ok. Once again they ain't pros. Read commercecomet24 post explains it simply. And you're right odds are usm wins and we start Gordon which is probably what we will plan.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 05:02 PM
Illinois Chicago has an rpi of 99 and SOS of 259. Took 2 of 3 at Vandy this year, split with Georgia Tech, and apparently have a very good pitching staff that ranks top 5 in the country in ERA.

They're 2-1 vs rpi Top 25, and 6-6 vs top 51-100...but 27 wins came vs the rpi 200+

Dawg61
05-29-2017, 05:03 PM
Apparently we will face Randy Bell for South Alabama.

RHP from Woodville, MS
He is 5-3 with a 3.97 ERA
90 innings pitched, 101 Hits, 16 BB, 85 K's

Throws a lot of strikes, which is good Bc we don't take pitches.

Is this their #2 starter? They taking the same strategy as us to win this regional.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 05:14 PM
Here's the ERA stats showing Illinois Chicago as #2 in ERA. USM could definitely lose that opening game, although I don't expect it. It's easier to have a good ERA when your SOS is 259.

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MBA&division=1

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 05:15 PM
Is this their #2 starter? They taking the same strategy as us to win this regional.

Pretty sure he's their Ace, but I may be wrong

ETA: He has the most starts, and their message board says "they haven't seen Randy in our previous games" so they clearly think he's one of their best.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 05:19 PM
USM is #4 and USA is #7 in scoring, both averaging over 8 runs per game. That is concerning with our pitching depth issues and our leaving men on base so much and not scoring runs

Todd4State
05-29-2017, 05:35 PM
USM is #4 and USA is #7 in scoring, both averaging over 8 runs per game. That is concerning with our pitching depth issues and our leaving men on base so much and not scoring runs

If Cann sticks with the six guys he's taking about I'm fine with our pitching.

whataburger
05-29-2017, 06:01 PM
Anybody able to break down South Alabama and USM? Give us an idea of who we will likely face on the hill...Lefty or Righty

Southern fan here.

I think USM will throw our ace in game 1, but we'll have to see. Kirk McCarty. Cape Cod guy, Dandy Dozen, etc. 2.96 ERA/1.08 WHIP. Lefty.

We can't afford to screw around with UIC. Maybe the best #4 seed in the tourney.

Not sure who we'll go with in game 2. Either Colt Smith (decent numbers with a 3.03 ERA/1.22 WHIP but can throw meat at times) or Taylor Braley (power arm with a fastball in the 92-94 range, getting some late buzz from scouts).

Todd4State
05-29-2017, 06:09 PM
Southern fan here.

I think USM will throw our ace in game 1, but we'll have to see. Kirk McCarty. Cape Cod guy, Dandy Dozen, etc. 2.96 ERA/1.08 WHIP. Lefty.

We can't afford to screw around with UIC. Maybe the best #4 seed in the tourney.

Not sure who we'll go with in game 2. Either Colt Smith (decent numbers with a 3.03 ERA/1.22 WHIP but can throw meat at times) or Taylor Braley (power arm with a fastball in the 92-94 range, getting some late buzz from scouts).

You would get more rep here if your username was Denny's in Hattiesburg.**

Todd4State
05-29-2017, 06:21 PM
Back from work thoughts:

I start Cole Gordon is game one and go Pilkington in game two. We have an advantage in knowing how South Alabama and USM are going to play us and we've seen them before. I think I would go Pilkington in game two regardless. UIC has a really good team ERA and we need to stay in the winner's bracket if possible. We need to be able to match up USM's ace if they decide to hold him back in the event that they beat UIC. Start McQuary in game three and then either Plumlee or Billingsley in game four if necessary.

And thinking way ahead if we have to play LSU in a SR and they manage to somehow come out of the regional of death that they were just awarded******* I'd rather throw Gordon vs. Lange and hope for the best in game one and then come back with Pilkington in game two, and if necessary go with McQuary against LSU's third guy.

Dawg61
05-29-2017, 06:29 PM
Southern fan here.

Can you buy us about 1,000 tickets please

basedog
05-29-2017, 06:50 PM
If we don't hit and score more runs than we did in the Sec Tourney, it want matter who pitches.

Regardless someone will have to beat a red hot Usm team probably twice.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 07:20 PM
Southern fan here.

Thanks man. Who did you guys start on Sat & Sun most of the year? Is Smith or Braley LHP? What is your bullpen like? Thanks for the info, let us know if you have any questions about State

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 07:24 PM
Southern fan here.

Whataburger, if you happen to know anybody purchasing Regional tickets that would sell me a few tickets for MSU's first game against South Alabama, please message me.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 07:28 PM
Back from work thoughts:

I start Cole Gordon is game one and go Pilkington in game two. We have an advantage in knowing how South Alabama and USM are going to play us and we've seen them before. I think I would go Pilkington in game two regardless. UIC has a really good team ERA and we need to stay in the winner's bracket if possible. We need to be able to match up USM's ace if they decide to hold him back in the event that they beat UIC. Start McQuary in game three and then either Plumlee or Billingsley in game four if necessary.

And thinking way ahead if we have to play LSU in a SR and they manage to somehow come out of the regional of death that they were just awarded******* I'd rather throw Gordon vs. Lange and hope for the best in game one and then come back with Pilkington in game two, and if necessary go with McQuary against LSU's third guy.

If we are fortunate enough to win this Regional, I love the idea of starting Pilk game 2 vs LSU. We would really put pressure on them if we could steal game 1 and have Pilk waiting on them with Omaha on the line.

Same applies this weekend....After looking at UIC's ERA, I think USM will have to think about throwing their Ace in game 1. That means we will have an edge if we can win game 1 with Cole.

confucius say
05-29-2017, 07:34 PM

Exactly what I was going to post. It's actually common at the collegiate level.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 07:38 PM
Is there a USM message board worth a shit? I'm looking but there's only like 2 posts on the free board at BigGoldBation

BuckyIsAB****
05-29-2017, 07:40 PM
I know we're shortstaffed and Cann has every built in excuse, but I think we should win this regional. Just my 2 cents

Jack Lambert
05-29-2017, 07:41 PM
Interesting to me that USM has chosen to play the early game on Friday. Now we can see if they win/lose and who they pitch before deciding on a starter technically. In my opinion, we should see if they pitch their Ace and if they win or lose before making our decision. If they somehow lose, I think you go ahead and pitch Pilk in game 1 to make sure we win & face Illinois Chicago for a chance at the Regional final. Thoughts?

Could it be weather concern so they would not have to play a double hitter Saturday?

Also how many wins does it take to win the region?

confucius say
05-29-2017, 07:42 PM
Back from work thoughts:

In a super against Lsu, I'd throw my 3 game one against Lange, pilk against poche, then my 2 against their 3.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 07:45 PM
Saw this interesting little stat on a South Alabama forum....

https://i.imgflip.com/1pxs5b.jpg

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 07:46 PM
In a super against Lsu, I'd throw my 3 game one against Lange, pilk against poche, then my 2 against their 3.

I agree

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 07:48 PM
Could it be weather concern so they would not have to play a double hitter Saturday?

Also how many wins does it take to win the region?

Yea, I can see a few advantages for sure. Takes 3 wins to win the Regional if you don't lose....4 wins and 5 games if you lose game 1

Jack Lambert
05-29-2017, 07:57 PM
Yea, I can see a few advantages for sure. Takes 3 wins to win the Regional if you don't lose....4 wins and 5 games if you lose game 1

I feel pretty good about it. We have four solid pitchers. Just get the lead and get into the 7th.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 08:12 PM
I feel pretty good about it. We have four solid pitchers. Just get the lead and get into the 7th.

I'm hoping after seeing LSU, Ark, and Fla pitching it will look like a beach ball to our hitters seeing USA & USM pitching. But I'm not too confident

whataburger
05-29-2017, 08:17 PM
Thanks man. Who did you guys start on Sat & Sun most of the year? Is Smith or Braley LHP? What is your bullpen like? Thanks for the info, let us know if you have any questions about State

McCarty is our best arm but we didn't have him on Friday all year. Switched between Fri/Sat. Beginning of the year, he was our Saturday guy then we bumped him to Friday then back to Saturday late in the year.

Smith and Braley are both RHP. Braley started against MSU midweek and got the win. We moved him to the weekend rotation in late April and basically pitched by committee for the remaining midweek games.

The bullpen, particularly middle relief, is probably our biggest weakness. At the backend, you have Nick Sandlin (2.16 ERA/1.18 WHIP) who was nearly unhittable at the beginning of the year (didn't give up an earned run until April 4th) but he struggled a little bit with control later in the year. Sidearmer. He's been pretty good his last few appearances so I'm encouraged with that. Has a really good slider that be can be especially brutal on righties.

Hayden Roberts (4.41 ERA/1.40 WHIP) is our main guy in middle relief. Actually started the year as our Friday guy but we moved him to the pen after a couple of rough starts. Good fastball in the 92-94 range and has a wipeout slider when he's on. Struggles with command sometimes because he will often try to overthrow. Despite some bumps in the road this year, he has a high upside and will probably be drafted by some team this year. If USM has to play a 4th game, he's probably the guy that gets the start (assuming he's rested enough).

JC Keys (5.12 ERA/1.35 WHIP) and Trent Driver (5.70 ERA/1.63 WHIP) are two other guys you'll likely see this week. Keys was our Sunday starter for a good chunk of the year but we moved him to pen. Struggled to throw strikes at times this year but has really come on strong these past few weeks. Gave us a good start midweek vs SELA and had a solid CUSA tourney as well. Has a pretty filthy 12-6 curveball. Driver is a sidearmer who is mostly used in R/R matchups but can be hit pretty hard by teams. Hinds transfer.

Lastly, the wildcard to our pen is Matt Wallner (1.80 ERA/1.00 WHIP). He's the freshman out of the Minneapolis area that has been gotten a ton of press from national writers. Mostly for his hitting (batting .345 with 19 HRs) but he's also logged some innings for us on the mound. We used him mostly at the end of games (usually when Sandlin was unavailable) early in the year but he's been dealing a sore hip since the Ole Miss game in Pearl. Doesn't affect his swing but he's not really 100% on the mound. Don't know his availability for this weekend as the coaching staff is really trying to be careful with him. Faced one batter yesterday and pitched an inning vs FAU in early May. Those are his only appearances since the hip strain.

yjnkdawg
05-29-2017, 08:20 PM

The only reason I could see them choosing the early game is to avoid a possible late night game due to a rain delay. NWS is currently predicting best chances of rain for afternoon and early evening.

whataburger
05-29-2017, 08:27 PM
Is there a USM message board worth a shit? I'm looking but there's only like 2 posts on the free board at BigGoldBation

"The Perch" is our most active freeboard. EaglePost disbanded and lot of the regulars ended up there.

http://csnbbs.com/forum-447.html

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 08:31 PM
"The Perch" is our most active freeboard. EaglePost disbanded and lot of the regulars ended up there.

http://csnbbs.com/forum-447.html

Thanks man. And thanks for the info in the previous post too

Dawg61
05-29-2017, 08:44 PM
Is Billingsley going to pitch this weekend? He looked good last time out

msstate7
05-29-2017, 08:49 PM
Is Billingsley going to pitch this weekend? He looked good last time out

Pilk
Self
Cole
Plumlee
Billingsley
McQ

That's our 6 pitchers

Jack Lambert
05-29-2017, 09:25 PM
I'm hoping after seeing LSU, Ark, and Fla pitching it will look like a beach ball to our hitters seeing USA & USM pitching. But I'm not too confident

I feel good. Our weekend stuff is way better than our mid week. We have come a long ways since we lost to USM in a mid week game early in the SEC season. I really don't worry about our hitting. I do worry about pitching. We need to win the first two games. If we get into the loser bracket then it could be trouble.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 09:25 PM
Pilk
Self
Cole
Plumlee
Billingsley
McQ

That's our 6 pitchers

Price will get a shot I bet. Depending on situation of course. For instance, we get up 8-2 vs USA & Gordon gets into the 8th and hits 90+ pitches....bring in Price to see if he can find it again. If he walks someone, bring in one of the names you mentioned.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 09:26 PM
I feel good. Our weekend stuff is way better than our mid week. We have come a long ways since we lost to USM in a mid week game early in the SEC season. I really don't worry about our hitting. I do worry about pitching. We need to win the first two games. If we get into the loser bracket then it could be trouble.

I agree.

Is it official that we're starting Cole Gordon Gsme 1? I saw Todd mention it, but is that just hearsay, or is it being discussed as if official?

Barkman Turner Overdrive
05-29-2017, 09:32 PM
Pilk
Self
Cole
Plumlee
Billingsley
McQ

That's our 6 pitchers

What about Rigby? It was rumored he would be back for post season.

msstate7
05-29-2017, 09:35 PM

I have no idea. Seems it would be pretty risky to try him now though

Todd4State
05-29-2017, 09:54 PM

Had been throwing bullpens at the end of the year and that was going to determine whether he came back or not. I'm assuming they didn't go well since we haven't seen him.

Todd4State
05-29-2017, 09:55 PM
I agree.

Is it official that we're starting Cole Gordon Gsme 1? I saw Todd mention it, but is that just hearsay, or is it being discussed as if official?

Not official but Cann said "Cole Gordon will pitch one of the first two games."

Homedawg
05-29-2017, 10:03 PM
Not official but Cann said "Cole Gordon will pitch one of the first two games."

Piilk is going to start game one. We aren't playing the bad news bears. Doing otherwise is a huge roll of the dice and really stupid.

basedog
05-29-2017, 10:12 PM
Piilk is going to start game one. We aren't playing the bad news bears. Doing otherwise is a huge roll of the dice and really stupid.

Agree, we also ain't the 27 New York Yankees.

South Al and Usm have good teams, this is a tough region. Have not a clue bout the Chicago team.

basedog
05-29-2017, 10:17 PM
After Pilk it's kinda like that box of chocolates, you never know what you get.

Let's hope our bats wake up as Usm's park is a hitters park.

HoopsDawg
05-29-2017, 10:18 PM
If u start Cole and lose game 1, you have to be disciplined enough to not start KP in game 2 vs UIC. Few coaches can do this.

msstate7
05-29-2017, 10:22 PM
If u start Cole and lose game 1, you have to be disciplined enough to not start KP in game 2 vs UIC. Few coaches can do this.

I'd start plumlee. Plumlee has faced them twice...

8.1 ip 6 h 1 er 3 bb 8 k

It's certainly a risky move, but I think we have to take risks when we essentially have 2 pitchers that are trump cards

confucius say
05-29-2017, 10:23 PM

Yep. You are playing to win the regional, not one game. Finishing 2nd or 4th in the regional is no different

confucius say
05-29-2017, 10:26 PM

I don't think it's stupid necessarily. You have to view games 1 and 2 together: if you lose either you are in the exact same place-having to go 4-1 to win the regional. You pitch games 1 and 2 in a manner that gives you the best chance to win both.

Coldsleeve Jr.
05-29-2017, 10:53 PM
Cann said a cpl weeks ago that the bullpen with Rigby didn't go well and he's done for the year.

Is Price done also?

Jack Lambert
05-29-2017, 11:00 PM

All I know is Cole pitched his ass off his last time out.

The Federalist Engineer
05-29-2017, 11:02 PM

I'd start plumlee. Plumlee has faced them twice...

8.1 ip 6 h 1 er 3 bb 8 k

It's certainly a risky move, but I think we have to take risks when we essentially have 2 pitchers that are trump cards

The Plum is going to be critical to victory, he appears to me a resilient kid. After the Ole Miss start he did not sulk, he found a new way to contribute

The Federalist Engineer
05-29-2017, 11:13 PM
Cann said a cpl weeks ago that the bullpen with Rigby didn't go well and he's done for the year.

Is Price done also?

The Price "Dead Arm" is blowing my mind, did he play in the spring football game and get sacked?. i almost can't believe how snake bit we are. We have a decades worth of freak injury in 2017

Outside of the TJs...

(1) Ashcraft and a groin
(2) Marze (who is a TJ survivor) and a labrum
(3) Rigby and a groin
(4) Mangum and a punched wall
(5) Cyr and mental illness
(6) Price gets a dead arm after 29 innings of work

CadaverDawg
05-29-2017, 11:54 PM

Totally disagree. In a normal year with a normal pitching staff you're right....but let's face it, if we don't go 2-0 to start the Regional there's a great chance we lose it Bc of our lack of pitching. So the best way to go 2-0 is take a chance and use our #2 vs the lesser team and hope we get by. Risky? Sure...Dumb? Hardly

I'd rather go down taking our best chance than to lose by bleeding a slow, foreseeable death.

Todd4State
05-30-2017, 12:05 AM

I disagree. We've seen them three times and we know Plumlee can shut them down- he has done so twice. If Plumlee is able to shut them down- Gordon should be able to do so as well. Most of the runs they have scored off of us have been against guys that are not likely to be one of the "six guys" that Cann is talking about pitching. And to me there's no reason to waste Pilkington on someone we will likely beat without throwing our ace. The fact that we have faced them three times and know how they match up makes this less risky. If USM saves McCarty for their second game- I definitely would rather have Pilkington match up against them.

Also, if it doesn't work out- UIC has a really good pitching staff. Pilkington can match up and get us back to the next round.

If Cann did it that way, and it doesn't work out I wouldn't criticize him for it.

Todd4State
05-30-2017, 12:09 AM

Is Price done also?

I'm assuming that he's not one of the six. Cann has not mentioned the six by name as to not throw anyone under the bus- but I'm guessing that the six are Pilkington, Gordon, McQuary, Self, Plumlee, and Billingsley. I'm guessing that Price might be number seven or eight on the list.

And I do think it's possible if we have a huge 10 run lead or something like that Cann could possibly throw someone outside of the six. Like Brent Rooker.

Todd4State
05-30-2017, 12:12 AM
After Pilk it's kinda like that box of chocolates, you never know what you get.

Let's hope our bats wake up as Usm's park is a hitters park.

I was at the MSU/USM game in Hattiesburg years ago I think around 2005 where USM jumped out to something like a 12-0 lead in the first inning or two. And then we came back and won 20-12 and I think Brad Jones had a couple of home runs. That was one of the craziest games I've ever seen. Their fans went from running smack on us to cursing their team out in a span of less than an hour.

Todd4State
05-30-2017, 12:21 AM
The Price "Dead Arm" is blowing my mind, did he play in the spring football game and get sacked?. i almost can't believe how snake bit we are. We have a decades worth of freak injury in 2017

Outside of the TJs...

(1) Ashcraft and a groin
(2) Marze (who is a TJ survivor) and a labrum
(3) Rigby and a groin
(4) Mangum and a punched wall
(5) Cyr and mental illness
(6) Price gets a dead arm after 29 innings of work

It is pretty crazy. And about a year ago I thought 2018 would be a really special year. The silver lining is 2019 I think we have a chance to really elite again- which should be the first year of the opening of the new Dudy Noble Field. And really will be our first "normal" season since 2016 since we've had to deal with the coaching changes and the massive amounts of injuries this year and next year we will only have about 22 home games in 2018. I hope someone had the foresight to play a few of those road games in Pearl and Biloxi but I'm not holding my breath.

We'll have Self, Ashcraft, McQuary as juniors that year and then Small, Padgett, Ford, and Hughes will be RS juniors and should be recovered from Tommy John at that time. Plumlee will be a senior by then and I think the Cole Marsh guy from Mississippi Delta will pitch a lot for us and he will be a junior that year as well I think.

Skelton will be a junior. We'll see how the draft goes between now and then but we could have an infield of Lovell who will be a sophomore, Stovall and LA will be seniors possibly, and then maybe JT Ginn at third base. Ginn will pitch too. I think the OF could be something like Tanner Allen and Jordan Anderson if we get him through the draft who will be sophomores, and then Blaylock will be a RS junior by then.

It probably won't end up like that but if it's in the ballpark that's a really good team.

CadaverDawg
05-30-2017, 12:45 AM
I thought Plumlee was a JC guy? Isn't he a Junior this year? Great news if I'm wrong

Eagles Revenge
05-30-2017, 12:51 AM
10% - you have remember that a USM player is somebody we did not want, not even Alabama... you respect they can beat you and play with focus but this is Our State and Our Regional

It's Southern Miss's Regional, and it's been our State since 1910. we just let you live in it. these snide remarks by your inbred fans are noticed. when or If you get to Baseburg we have a select group of fans who are going to sit behind your dugout and not only rip into your players like a starkville ball players momma rips into a can of potted meat but we will seek you and select fans out to verbally assault until you cry and leave. your fans are going to be hurting more than those 7 injured pitchers you have on the bench. you think you have a chance to even win 1 game when you have no pitching left? you are 2 and toasted oats boys. 2 and toast.

CadaverDawg
05-30-2017, 12:59 AM
It's Southern Miss's Regional, and it's been our State since 1910. we just let you live in it. these snide remarks by your inbred fans are noticed. when or If you get to Baseburg we have a select group of fans who are going to sit behind your dugout and not only rip into your players like a starkville ball players momma rips into a can of potted meat but we will seek you and select fans out to verbally assault until you cry and leave. your fans are going to be hurting more than those 7 injured pitchers you have on the bench. you think you have a chance to even win 1 game when you have no pitching left? you are 2 and toasted oats boys. 2 and toast.

https://media.giphy.com/media/1zSz5MVw4zKg0/giphy.gif

Weak sauce, bro

Eagles Revenge
05-30-2017, 01:03 AM

odds or percentage? odds are 100-1 you can even take 1 game in this regional with your depleted pitching. all 3 teams are strong, very strong at bat. the percentage of you getting knocked out? 99.99%. and those are very accurate odds/percent I am quoting there. so don't make any hotel reservations for sunday. just come in, watch your weak team get their butts handed to them, and get out. and don't throw your fast food waste on our streets or spit your dip out either. just get in and get the F out by sunday morning.

CadaverDawg
05-30-2017, 01:03 AM
odds or percentage? odds are 100-1 you can even take 1 game in this regional with your depleted pitching. all 3 teams are strong, very strong at bat. the percentage of you getting knocked out? 99.99%. and those are very accurate odds/percent I am quoting there. so don't make any hotel reservations for sunday. just come in, watch your weak team get their butts handed to them, and get out. and don't throw your fast food waste on our streets or spit your dip out either. just get in and get the F out by sunday morning.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu/giphy.gif

By leaving your post up, it shows how terrible it is bc I want everyone to see it, point and laugh, and humiliate you even further.

The Federalist Engineer
05-30-2017, 06:23 AM
I thought Plumlee was a JC guy? Isn't he a Junior this year? Great news if I'm wrong

Price, Plum, Jolly, and Macnamee are all JC sophomores

MarketingBully
05-30-2017, 07:00 AM
How did that idiot get through to make an account? Eagle's Revenge is a pretty obvious name for a Southern Miss troll account.

Dawg61
05-30-2017, 07:25 AM
How did that idiot get through to make an account? Eagle's Revenge is a pretty obvious name for a Southern Miss troll account.

Accounts don't get banned till they act like douchebags is why. The other Eagle fan in this thread has been nice and added good information about their team. If ED didn't allow new accounts from other fanbases we wouldn't get info like he provided. Only obvious Old Misses fans aren't allowed in initially and it's tradition to allow the rival baseball opponents access to this board during the NCAA tourney.

MadDawg
05-30-2017, 09:17 AM
Accounts don't get banned till they act like douchebags is why.

Well it didn't take this douchebag long.

USMCWS
05-30-2017, 09:30 AM

now that is some funny funny stuff right there. don't care who you are. other than the admin that got his feeling hurt over it and ran to his safe space.

MarketingBully
05-30-2017, 09:34 AM
now that is some funny funny stuff right there. don't care who you are. other than the admin that got his feeling hurt over it and ran to his safe space.

Really man? Really?

Dawg61
05-30-2017, 09:41 AM

And it looks like there will be a 2nd Eagle douche getting banned in this thread, only 8 fans left to go

MarketingBully
05-30-2017, 09:44 AM
Yeah, another troll USM account. If the mods looked at his posts, they would have already banned him. Trolling our fans and no substance to the conversation. USMCWS another troll

USMCWS
05-30-2017, 09:45 AM
And it looks like there will be a 2nd Eagle douche getting banned in this thread, only 8 fans left to go

there's no crying in baseball. dear lord you people are an overly sensitive bunch. lighten up and have fun and stop whining over a little smack. wow.

Dawg61
05-30-2017, 09:51 AM
there's no crying in baseball. dear lord you people are an overly sensitive bunch. lighten up and have fun and stop whining over a little smack. wow.

Look man I am glad you're excited for your baseball team and getting to host this year but y'all need to act like you've talked with other humans outside your fanbase in the last decade ok. Even if you haven't just act like you have. MSU fans hate everybody and that includes each other for the most part. You will get nowhere on this board but a banning unless you add something of value. Again we really hate everybody and you certainly aren't special. You're the bottom of the bottom on this board. Remember that. Atleast be funny or add some funny videos or pics or something and your inevitable banning will get delayed a few posts. Cheers mate

CadaverDawg
05-30-2017, 09:54 AM

If you call that "smack", you deserve banning. Apparently you clowns know so little about big boy athletics that you still talk trash like you're 12.

It_Could_Happen
05-30-2017, 10:10 AM

I'll be there all weekend and I'll even give you my seat number when I get it so you won't have to work as hard to find me so you can verbally assault me. Don't think I'll be crying and leaving though. Tickets are to expensive to leave the game early. Cheers

Jack Lambert
05-30-2017, 11:28 AM

Obvious your a Mississippi Bear trying to get into Elite Dawg AKA.

ScoobaDawg
05-30-2017, 11:33 AM
Yeah, another troll USM account. If the mods looked at his posts, they would have already banned him. Trolling our fans and no substance to the conversation. USMCWS another troll

You know.. most of us Mods and Admins have jobs and can't live on here every second... So.. Do us a favor and send us a message or report a post if ya see something like that..
Ya know.. Do your part..

MarketingBully
05-30-2017, 11:42 AM
You know.. most of us Mods and Admins have jobs and can't live on here every second... So.. Do us a favor and send us a message or report a post if ya see something like that..
Ya know.. Do your part..

Sorry, I have a job too but I am a night owl....I'll message you next time....

Barkman Turner Overdrive
05-30-2017, 12:20 PM

Is your school even accredited? I know you were having serious problems with that a couple years ago.

NCDawg
05-30-2017, 01:14 PM
Is your school even accredited? I know you were having serious problems with that a couple years ago.

I'm pretty sure USM is accredited. They did a good job of getting Donte' Jones in for us several years ago.

Jack Lambert
05-30-2017, 01:17 PM
I'm pretty sure USM is accredited. They did a good job of getting Donte' Jones in for us several years ago.

They did lose it several years ago but go it back.

It_Could_Happen
05-30-2017, 01:30 PM
Does anyone know if you can carry ice chests in the stadium? I have the general admin seats that are basically carrying a lawn chair to the outfield. Also, do they clear the stadium between games?

Woodytx
05-30-2017, 01:51 PM
Im very jealous of MSU, so I created an account and proceeded to embarrass myself with elementary humor. It shows the inferiority complex I have. Being one of ten USM fans is torture

Jack Lambert
05-30-2017, 01:55 PM
Im very jealous of MSU, so I created an account and proceeded to embarrass myself with elementary humor. It shows the inferiority complex I have. Being one of ten USM fans is torture

That's a lie I have seen your female students. My question is, are they stump broke?

Dawg61
05-30-2017, 02:05 PM

Odds are these new trolls are actually Old Misses fans so we won't hold it against the real USM fans out there. All ten of them. Oh and btw MSU has more Miss Americans than Old Misses and USM combined.

CadaverDawg
05-30-2017, 02:08 PM
Boy the buzzard infants are out in full force. We've already had like 40% of their fan base post on EliteDawgs today.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
05-30-2017, 02:42 PM
Boy the buzzard infants are out in full force. We've already had like 40% of their fan base post on EliteDawgs today.

Bringing weak stuff at that. Their fans are as lame as their academic and athletic programs.

CadaverDawg
05-30-2017, 02:44 PM
Bringing weak stuff at that. Their fans are as lame as their academic and athletic programs.

Totally agree. Very weak childish smack. Lame is the perfect word to describe it. I actually welcome any of them that can bring something strong

Tbonewannabe
05-30-2017, 02:57 PM

Wouldn't the Eagle be taking revenge on USM for starving them to death?

It_Could_Happen
05-30-2017, 05:22 PM
Got my tickets so good luck to these buzzard clowns trying to keep me out... And I can't wait to be "verbally absued until I cry and leave." Has the potential to be a really fun weekend.

CadaverDawg
05-30-2017, 05:32 PM
Got my tickets so good luck to these buzzard clowns trying to keep me out... And I can't wait to be "verbally absued until I cry and leave." Has the potential to be a really fun weekend.

PM me if you can advise on how to get tix

I seen it dawg
05-30-2017, 05:35 PM
Ya know.. Do your part..

No shit. Thank you.

It_Could_Happen
05-30-2017, 05:43 PM
PM me if you can advise on how to get tix

check your inbox.