PDA

View Full Version : MSU Basketball

BuckyIsAB****
05-28-2017, 03:27 PM
Long way to go till season and a lot could change but I think an honest conversation is due. How do yall feel about Howland and what do yall expect from him and the team going forward? I think this is a big year for him, if we're bad again I think pressure and questions could really ramp up. He gets the benefit of the doubt though bc of his 3rd year streak he has going

msstate7
05-28-2017, 03:31 PM
I think howland is still a good coach... happy with him. I do think although this is howland's 3rd year here, it's really his 2nd year bc there was such complete turnover after year 1. I expect NIT/bubble NCAA this season and to really have a good team next season

CadaverDawg
05-28-2017, 03:34 PM
I think howland is still a good coach... happy with him. I do think although this is howland's 3rd year here, it's really his 2nd year bc there was such complete turnover after year 1. I expect NIT/bubble NCAA this season and to really have a good team next season

I concur

MarketingBully
05-28-2017, 03:38 PM
Actually, I think we win 23+ and are in the conversation for the NCAA tournament this year. I think Tyson Carter will be a kid that makes a big jump especially if he can gain 10-15 pounds this offseason. I think we see a big jump from Peters and Q will show the type of dominance he did early last year and will inch up to the 17-18 ppg range. I think Nick Weatherspoon will be a player that gets us in position for Peters, Q, and Carter to shoot wide open threes. I think a big key will be can we have Feazel be a player who challenges Holman in practice? How good can Ado be? How much will Herard improve? We still have a lot of good pieces and experience this year to do some things. Ado and Feazel could be difference makers in the post. We will have one of the best backcourts in the SEC.

MarketingBully
05-28-2017, 03:43 PM

I think our season this year will be similar to what South Carolina had the year before last when they won 23 games or so but made the NIT. I think Q projects very similar to Sindarius Thornwell and if Q stays all four years he will have a similar senior season.

Dawg61
05-28-2017, 03:48 PM
I am disappointed in Howland right now. He hasn't done shit since his initial splash with recruiting. He passed on Tookie which was an obvious **** up. He told Black to pack his bags and we've sucked at the 4 for two years so that was another **** up. He royally ****ed up the Newman situation when he let Malik and Horatio hold his roster hostage when it was so obvious MN was never coming back and Howland didn't sign another player to make up for that loss. He let George Brooks talk him into signing a player who was never coming here in his own damn son. The Q Spoon injury and waiting before having surgery was a total **** up. Spoon coulda had a medical redshirt but that's not happening now. Now Howland is almost in June and just lost two spots on his roster with nobody replacing those spots. I get it that maybe he wants to clear room for two HS signees he has his eyes on but there's no harm at all in signing two grad transfers with only one year left that will play immediately. Yet he can't or won't do that despite there being a ****ing ocean full of transfers available to anyone that wants one.

msbulldog
05-28-2017, 04:00 PM
I am disappointed in Howland right now. He hasn't done shit since his initial splash with recruiting. He passed on Tookie which was an obvious **** up. He told Black to pack his bags and we've sucked at the 4 for two years so that was another **** up. He royally ****ed up the Newman situation when he let Malik and Horatio hold his roster hostage when it was so obvious MN was never coming back and Howland didn't sign another player to make up for that loss. He let George Brooks talk him into signing a player who was never coming here in his own damn son. The Q Spoon injury and waiting before having surgery was a total **** up. Spoon coulda had a medical redshirt but that's not happening now. Now Howland is almost in June and just lost two spots on his roster with nobody replacing those spots. I get it that maybe he wants to clear room for two HS signees he has his eyes on but there's no harm at all in signing two grad transfers with only one year left that will play immediately. Yet he can't or won't do that despite there being a ****ing ocean full of transfers available to anyone that wants one.

I trust Coach Howlands's judgement.

BuckyIsAB****
05-28-2017, 04:02 PM

I wont pretend to know about all that other stuff (not saying you dont) but I do agree the proof is on the court that we have been bad at the 4 for a long time

BuckyIsAB****
05-28-2017, 04:03 PM
I think Peters blows the roof off this year and carries us. He really took the team from Q last year just my opinion

Dawg61
05-28-2017, 04:07 PM
I trust Coach Howlands's judgement.

Why? What has he done since being in Starkville that gives you that sense of trust because I can point to about ten things that say the exact opposite.

Dawg61
05-28-2017, 04:09 PM
I think Peters blows the roof off this year and carries us. He really took the team from Q last year just my opinion

Peters looked awesome till he cut his hair. Then he looked like dog shit. Apparently all of his confidence was stored in his high top.

msstate7
05-28-2017, 04:09 PM
Peters looked awesome till he cut his hair. Then he looked like dog shit. Apparently all of his confidence was stored in his high top.

Basketball version of Sampson

BuckyIsAB****
05-28-2017, 04:10 PM

True, but still. I know Q got hurt and that may have a lot to do with it, but he just doesnt seem like a killer to me. His give a shit isnt always there either

Dawg61
05-28-2017, 04:27 PM
True, but still. I know Q got hurt and that may have a lot to do with it, but he just doesnt seem like a killer to me. His give a shit isnt always there either

Q was a liability once he hurt his wrist but hopefully the surgery will fix that

preachermatt83
05-28-2017, 04:35 PM
Recruiting for this cycle is absolutely awful right now. He better win this year. If they are not a nit team with legit NCAA buble conversation then I'm gonna be very disappointed. Two of the top recruits in the "great class" are leaving. I'm still confident though bc I think peters Lil spoon, and ado are gonna do big things however we better start seeing progress in a hurry.

msbulldog
05-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Why? What has he done since being in Starkville that gives you that sense of trust because I can point to about ten things that say the exact opposite.

Because he coached UCLA for years and you didn't.

Dawg61
05-28-2017, 04:43 PM
Because he coached UCLA for years and you didn't.

This mindset is exactly how Germany turned into a bunch of Nazis bruh

thf24
05-28-2017, 04:51 PM
This mindset is exactly how Germany turned into a bunch of Nazis bruh

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/images/folder976/600x600/5368976/you-went-full-retard-man-never-go-full-retard.jpg

Dawg61
05-28-2017, 04:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WHBO_Qc-Q

Dawgface
05-28-2017, 04:56 PM
Jury still out for me. Can't say I'm overly impressed to this point. But who knows.....perhaps we will see a step forward this season.

Quaoarsking
05-28-2017, 05:04 PM
He's done a good job so far:
http://i.imgur.com/pihYg59.png

Based on his performance so far here and at other jobs, we have no reason to believe the team won't continue to improve and compete at the highest level.

Dawg61
05-28-2017, 05:10 PM
How does a 21-12 team finish with an kenpom of 77 and a 14-17 team finish with an kenpom of 78?

Quaoarsking
05-28-2017, 05:16 PM
How does a 21-12 team finish with an kenpom of 77 and a 14-17 team finish with an kenpom of 78?

Strength of schedule, margin of victory/defeat, etc. The Kenpom ratings take all of a team's possessions on the season into account (not including garbage time), not just whether a game was a win or loss.

He also calculates a "luck" ranking for each team that compares a team's actual W/L record to its predicted W/L record based on its rating, and our 2015-16 team was the 3rd unluckiest team in D1. We were also relatively unlucky this past year, but not as dramatically so.

Dawg61
05-28-2017, 05:23 PM
Strength of schedule, margin of victory/defeat, etc. The Kenpom ratings take all of a team's possessions on the season into account (not including garbage time), not just whether a game was a win or loss.

He also calculates a "luck" ranking for each team that compares a team's actual W/L record to its predicted W/L record based on its rating, and our 2015-16 team was the 3rd unluckiest team in D1. We were also relatively unlucky this past year, but not as dramatically so.

Interesting, now that you mention it I do remember us losing a lot of close games Howland's first year. Good stuff, thanks for posting it

MarketingBully
05-28-2017, 05:49 PM
Recruiting for this cycle is absolutely awful right now. He better win this year. If they are not a nit team with legit NCAA buble conversation then I'm gonna be very disappointed. Two of the top recruits in the "great class" are leaving. I'm still confident though bc I think peters Lil spoon, and ado are gonna do big things however we better start seeing progress in a hurry.

Um Robert Woodard is in the 2018 cycle and he plays like we wish Kegler would have played.

smootness
05-28-2017, 06:20 PM
I feel great about Howland and expect great things going forward.

This thread cracks me up.

ScoobaDawg
05-28-2017, 06:27 PM

Exactly. But don't argue with the master of all sports. Goodness that mini rant made my head hurt.

basedog
05-28-2017, 06:47 PM
Interesting, now that you mention it I do remember us losing a lot of close games Howland's first year. Good stuff, thanks for posting it

Hey 61, not sure if you have seen little Spoon play, dude has skills, forget Wright or you will when little Spoon gets some minutes. He's electric quick who can ball.

MarketingBully
05-28-2017, 07:05 PM

I'm excited about seeing Tyson Carter this year. I think he takes the biggest jump of our freshmen and it ends up being hard to keep him out of the starting five (which is a good thing). I'm excited about seeing a fully healthy Q and Xay. I'm excited to finally get to see Ado and to see Herard's development. And I am excited to see how Lamar Peters and Nick Weatherspoon play together. I'll also be interested to see Holman's development and to see if Feazel can push him at the four being 6'9 and 240 that is a true stretch four with guard type skills. Even with losing Kegler and Wright, I think we will still be okay this year and have more then enough talent to win 22-23 games and be a borderline NCAA tourney team.

Dawg61
05-28-2017, 07:14 PM
Hey 61, not sure if you have seen little Spoon play, dude has skills, forget Wright or you will when little Spoon gets some minutes. He's electric quick who can ball.

Nick Spoon is the best medicine, thanks for reminding me

basedog
05-28-2017, 07:20 PM
Nick Spoon is the best medicine, thanks for reminding me

We should be better inside especially defensively, the thing with young big men is they seem to be foul prone.

Peters and Little Spoon will be fun to watch in time. We get Woodard and if all stay healthy may be the best backcourt in our history, at least on paper, lol.

Dawg61
05-28-2017, 07:26 PM
Exactly. But don't argue with the master of all sports. Goodness that mini rant made my head hurt.

How come you don't make comments like this towards other posters when the daily shit on Dan Mullen threads are posted?

ScoobaDawg
05-28-2017, 09:11 PM
How come you don't make comments like this towards other posters when the daily shit on Dan Mullen threads are posted?

Because I don't like arguing with a random agenda driven based post.

BayouDawg
05-28-2017, 09:31 PM
I think Howland has us heading in the right direction. I do have a couple of concerns though:
1. Our on ball defense has been very bad the last two years. We couldn't stop Steven Hawking on a dribble drive.
2. Our ball movement and movement without the ball is alarmingly bad. I hope it was just due to youth. We would waste at least 10 seconds every possession just casually tossing it around the perimeter with no real idea of what we wanted to do.

I would like to see a more deliberate approach on offense and attack the basket more often.

Dawg61
05-28-2017, 09:35 PM
Long way to go till season and a lot could change but I think an honest conversation is due. How do yall feel about Howland and what do yall expect from him and the team going forward?

So you like arguing with me instead? Haha the OP ASKED us to give our opinions on Howland right now. Maybe I have missed the good news coming from the basketball program in the last 6 months cause I don't seem to remember hearing any. Care to fill me in.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-28-2017, 10:23 PM

You just need to consider who your talking to. Someone who thought Boise State would be a good fit for the SEC...for a year. When you do that you'll understand why arguing seems kind of pointless.

Dawg61
05-28-2017, 10:25 PM
You just need to consider who your talking to. Someone who thought Boise State would be a good fit for the SEC...for a year. When you do that you'll understand why arguing seems kind of pointless.

troll

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-28-2017, 10:29 PM
troll

A simple check from Enforcer can prove I'm not a troll. Do we have anything to prove you are not an idiot? Nope. Your post can confirm that. Again the irony of you calling me a troll in a thread that you trolled and are trying to argue with everyone. Nice

Quaoarsking
05-28-2017, 10:36 PM

I like Boise State

Liverpooldawg
05-28-2017, 10:47 PM
I have no expectations good or bad. There are way too many unknowns and the knowns are still to young to base anything solid on. I'll wait till I see them in January to form any real opinion.

HSVDawg
05-28-2017, 11:06 PM
Long way to go till season and a lot could change but I think an honest conversation is due. How do yall feel about Howland and what do yall expect from him and the team going forward? I think this is a big year for him, if we're bad again I think pressure and questions could really ramp up. He gets the benefit of the doubt though bc of his 3rd year streak he has going

NCAA bubble team is the minimum expectation. That seems to be the consensus. Adding Ado to the 4-spot to do the garbage work on the boards and on defense should be the catalyst. Q at the 3 along with Peters and little Spoon might be the best back court in the SEC. Just need to shore up the low post which should happen with Ado.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-29-2017, 08:34 AM
I like Boise State

So...

MarketingBully
05-29-2017, 10:08 AM
I think Tyson Carter will be the X-factor for this team. As stated if he puts on 10-15 pounds this off season to get to 175 or so, he will be a bad ass guard for us. He is a kid who can score 20+ any given night and is a big reason why Eli Wright transfered. He will improve tremendously on the defensive end as well with some added weight.

msstate7
05-29-2017, 10:12 AM
I think Tyson Carter will be the X-factor for this team. As stated if he puts on 10-15 pounds this off season to get to 175 or so, he will be a bad ass guard for us. He is a kid who can score 20+ any given night and is a big reason why Eli Wright transfered. He will improve tremendously on the defensive end as well with some added weight.

I like carter myself. I think he's gonna shoot the lights out the next 3 years

tcdog70
05-29-2017, 10:22 AM
I would hope that Ben would figure a way to use a Zone defense from time to time. Our ability to stop dribble penetration has really hurt us. I think the addition on Nick and Ado will be the missing pieces of the puzzle. I am not worried about Kegler or Wright, all them leaving means that someone else gets their minutes. An 8 man rotation might be the best thing rather than trying to keep,the prima donnas happy with their minutes.

msstate7
05-29-2017, 10:23 AM
I would hope that Ben would figure a way to use a Zone defense from time to time. Our ability to stop dribble penetration has really hurt us. I think the addition on Nick and Ado will be the missing pieces of the puzzle. I am not worried about Kegler or Wright, all them leaving means that someone else gets their minutes. An 8 man rotation might be the best thing rather than trying to keep,the prima donnas happy with their minutes.

Cutting down on rotation could be a good thing. Good point

MarketingBully
05-29-2017, 10:25 AM
I like carter myself. I think he's gonna shoot the lights out the next 3 years

I think our best lineup will end up being the below and this will probably be who we start by SEC season:

PG: Nick Weatherspoon
SG: Tyson Carter
3G: Q Weatherspoon
S4: Aric Holman
C: Abdul Ado

With Peters, Stapleton and Herard getting a heck of a lot minutes off the bench and Datcher and Feazell playing spot up minutes or when needed when our bigs are in foul trouble.

We probably start this lineup to begin the season:

PG: Peters
SG: Q Weatherspoon
SF: Xavian Stapleton

With Nick Weatherspoon, Tyson Carter, and Herard getting a lot of minutes off the bench with Datcher and Feazell getting spot up minutes or minutes when our bigs get in foul trouble.

Either way, I like our lineup and rotation. There is a lot of potential there and most importantly experience.

msstate7
05-29-2017, 10:30 AM
I think our best lineup will end up being the below and this will probably be who we start by SEC season:

With Peters, Stapleton and Herard getting a heck of a lot minutes off the bench and Datcher and Feazell playing spot up minutes or when needed when our bigs are in foul trouble.

With Nick Weatherspoon, Tyson Carter, and Herard getting a lot of minutes off the bench with Datcher and Feazell getting spot up minutes or minutes when our bigs get in foul trouble.

Either way, I like our lineup and rotation. There is a lot of potential there and most importantly experience.

I agree for most part... still wanna see ado before I put him above herard

Dawg61
05-29-2017, 10:34 AM
PG: TeaSpoon
SG: Carter
SF: TableSpoon
PF: Ado
C: Herard

msstate7
05-29-2017, 10:38 AM
PG: TeaSpoon
SG: Carter
SF: TableSpoon
PF: Ado
C: Herard

I like it, but doesn't howland like a 3-pt shooter at the 4... not necessarily a good one (Holman)

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-29-2017, 10:47 AM
I like it, but doesn't howland like a 3-pt shooter at the 4... not necessarily a good one (Holman)

Correct. Holman should start at the 4. The 5 will be a battle between Ado and Herard. Ado is a true shot blocking Center.

MarketingBully
05-29-2017, 10:49 AM

Ado and Holman patrolling the paint will stop a ton of the penetration.

Dawg61
05-29-2017, 11:32 AM

He does but I think we have a big advantage down low defensively with Ado & Herard both playing. Herard is a beast. If he could just learn to not fumble the ball. We have plenty of scoring/shooters with Tyson and the 2 Spoons we really don't need a bad shooting 4 jacking shots while simultaneously taking away a good offensive rebounding option.

tcdog70
05-29-2017, 12:20 PM
I like X coming off the bench. He brings instant energy. Plus he should have all the rust off and be stronger and wiser to the ways of the SEC. We have plenty of talent even if we lose Eli and Mario.

RC3
05-29-2017, 12:29 PM

Exactly.

Dawg61
05-29-2017, 12:29 PM
Paging IYOK,

who is Howland targeting by freeing up the Wright & Kegler spots?

RC3
05-29-2017, 12:33 PM
I hope I'm wrong but I see Ado being a little disappointing. Dude is a bean pole

DownwardDawg
05-29-2017, 12:35 PM
I like Boise State

Lol. I do too!!!! I've always loved watching them play!

DownwardDawg
05-29-2017, 12:40 PM
My thoughts on Howland..... Since he's been here, we have not been worth a crap. We were not worth a crap before he got here either.

If we become worth a crap, then I'll acknowledge that he's worth a crap.

These thoughts are based on my knowledge of the sport of basketball.

MarketingBully
05-29-2017, 01:17 PM
I hope I'm wrong but I see Ado being a little disappointing. Dude is a bean pole

Ado is 6'11 and 240. I am not sure that is a bean pole but he should be able to bang with the best of them.

RC3
05-29-2017, 01:27 PM
Ado is 6'11 and 240. I am not sure that is a bean pole but he should be able to bang with the best of them.

That 240 sounds generous. I mean just going off the eye test numerous times last year, he looks skinny AF to me and I don't see him being a banger. I could be wrong. Time will tell

Dawg61
05-29-2017, 01:29 PM
That 240 sounds generous. I mean just going off the eye test numerous times last year, he looks skinny AF to me and I don't see him being a banger. I could be wrong. Time will tell

You confusing Ado with Holman?

RC3
05-29-2017, 01:30 PM
You confusing Ado with Holman?

No. The tall skinny kid in street clothes each game

Dawg61
05-29-2017, 01:38 PM
No. The tall skinny kid in street clothes each game

Doesn't look skinny to me

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/reflector-online.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/8/14/81451ac0-acec-11e6-abca-279f8ac41bb4/582deb303bb83.image.jpg?resize=507%2C760

MarketingBully
05-29-2017, 03:56 PM
You said it Dawg61. He is no bean pole...

headcoach98
05-30-2017, 08:21 AM
Absolutely can't miss on Woodard and Fleming, especially Woodard. I truly expect us to be a tournament team this coming season, anything less would be uncivilized.

headcoach98
05-30-2017, 08:34 AM
Was thinking the same myself. If we can somehow have a 9-10 man rotation that would be awesome.
Cutting down on rotation could be a good thing. Good point

headcoach98
05-30-2017, 08:35 AM
Eyes are on Herard now, actually thought he would transfer as well.

MarketingBully
05-30-2017, 09:18 AM
Eyes are on Herard now, actually thought he would transfer as well.

What? Haven't heard that one bit and it doesn't make sense.

MarketingBully
05-30-2017, 09:22 AM
If Herard transfers, we are in deep shit. We don't need anymore transfers. The transfer train should be over.

tcdog70
05-30-2017, 09:46 AM
All we heard last year was how physical Ado was and how his tenacity had helped Herard and Holman. Ado is the big Man we have been waiting for. Along with Dacher, Herard and Holman we should be in good shape. Let the players that are cry babies transfer, we still have plenty of talent with more coming. All you need is a 8-9 man rotation. We are going to have two all SEC potential PGs. We have Q. We have X who is a Havlicek type player. We have Carter who can fill the Mfing hoop up. That's nine players who can ball. Shit , can we get a little more positive. Screw Mario and Eli-maybe they see the handwriting on the wall.

Dawg61
05-30-2017, 09:54 AM
If Herard transfers, we are in deep shit. We don't need anymore transfers. The transfer train should be over.

Howland is more likely to transfer and play beach volleyball than Herard transferring

MarketingBully
05-30-2017, 10:14 AM
All we heard last year was how physical Ado was and how his tenacity had helped Herard and Holman. Ado is the big Man we have been waiting for. Along with Dacher, Herard and Holman we should be in good shape. Let the players that are cry babies transfer, we still have plenty of talent with more coming. All you need is a 8-9 man rotation. We are going to have two all SEC potential PGs. We have Q. We have X who is a Havlicek type player. We have Carter who can fill the Mfing hoop up. That's nine players who can ball. Shit , can we get a little more positive. Screw Mario and Eli-maybe they see the handwriting on the wall.

I don't blame Eli for transferring. With Tyson's development, he wasn't going to get meaningful minutes next year. I do have a problem with Kegler transferring because it is so ****ing stupid that a kid who started every game and even started half the season at the position he wanted to play transfers out. What is his excuse? We were using him wrong? That is the dumbest cheapest excuse to transfer I have ever heard.

Johnson85
05-30-2017, 10:21 AM

I know Weatherspoon is highly rated, but Peters was pretty highly rated also. I don't think Weatherspoon is going to take Peters spot as a true freshman. If he balls out, we'll end up playing both on the court at the same time for a good chunk of minutes.

I am guessing we start with:

Peters
Q
X
Holman
Herard.

Then you have young weatherspoon and carter off the bench for the perimeter and I guess Ado and Datcher for the post. I'm guessing X will play a good bit at the four also to go small and free up minutes for our perimter players. So we end up with essentially a core 8 man rotation, with Datcher being the 9th and getting more or fewer minutes depending on how often we go small versus how often we go big.

This all assumes that Ado is immediately ready, which based on rumors, he will be and could threaten Herard to start, but I'm not sure if that's real or hype.

MarketingBully
05-30-2017, 10:34 AM
If Ado is ready, you start him. Having him and Holman in at the same time basically means teams won't be able to dribble penetrate us for layups. If Ado fixes that, this is a tournament team. Ado and Holman could be one of the best one two shot blocking combos in the conference.

yjnkdawg
05-30-2017, 10:45 AM
I don't blame Eli for transferring. With Tyson's development, he wasn't going to get meaningful minutes next year. I do have a problem with Kegler transferring because it is so ****ing stupid that a kid who started every game and even started half the season at the position he wanted to play transfers out. What is his excuse? We were using him wrong? That is the dumbest cheapest excuse to transfer I have ever heard.

Maybe Omhar has not been satisfied with the way things have been going at MSU. Players under his tutledge, guardianship, training or whatever you want to call it, have been known for transferring. Mario transferred from Callaway High School to the school in FL. So, it may not have even been Mario's call on this one.

smootness
05-30-2017, 10:45 AM
I think people are too quick to put Herard on the bench. He was obviously up and down last year, but during that stretch when he really elevated his play, he was a force and you could tell there was potential for a lot more. I hope Ado is an absolute beast, and I have no idea who will start or get the majority of minutes, but Herard has a chance to be special.

yjnkdawg
05-30-2017, 10:56 AM
You said it Dawg61. He is no bean pole...

Agree. Now Eric Dampier was tall and skinny his Freshman year, but Ado is not.

MarketingBully
05-30-2017, 10:58 AM
I think people are too quick to put Herard on the bench. He was obviously up and down last year, but during that stretch when he really elevated his play, he was a force and you could tell there was potential for a lot more. I hope Ado is an absolute beast, and I have no idea who will start or get the majority of minutes, but Herard has a chance to be special.

Oh I agree Herard has amazing potential. He willed us to a win over A&M and outplayed Tyler Davis that game.

Dawg61
05-30-2017, 11:17 AM
Oh I agree Herard has amazing potential. He willed us to a win over A&M and outplayed Tyler Davis that game.

Holman and Herard really have two very different games. Holman is the better skilled player but he tends to gravitate away from the basket while Herard is the bigger more physical presence that tends to gravitate towards the basket. I am interested to see what Ado & Herard look like on defense together. Points in the paint will be difficult for other teams with those two big dudes down there.

Powersaw
05-30-2017, 11:22 AM
Howland is a good coach, but my gut tells me he leaves us for "greener" pastures within 2 years. Maybe for a better program. Maybe just for a bigger city.

Bothrops
05-30-2017, 11:38 AM
Howland is a good coach, but my gut tells me he leaves us for "greener" pastures within 2 years. Maybe for a better program. Maybe just for a bigger city.

Anything can happen, but if a bigger program wants to pay Howland more than we are, he'll have to do a hell of a lot of winning at MSU between now and then. I just don't see him leaving, because winning here would defeat the purpose.

yjnkdawg
05-30-2017, 11:52 AM

I think Howland is happy here, and loves Starkvegas and MSU. I doubt he is looking for greener pastures, or moving to a big city, but who actually knows.

smootness
05-30-2017, 12:11 PM
Howland's not going anywhere. He's still building this thing.

Johnson85
05-30-2017, 02:40 PM

Ben Howland is 60 now. So let's say next year MSU blows up and he gets the opportunity to move to a better program/city at the age of 61. Presumably that will come with another two years of rebuilding like he has done at all his other jobs, which optimistically is 20% of his remaining career, and much more than 20% of his remaining career under less optimistic circumstances. And it's also possible it might take two or three years of winning at MSU before the right opportunity comes up, at which point jumping ship makes even less sense (for both Howland and whowever would be hiring him)

Unless he just wants to be in a different city, I think we caught him at the right point in his career. Although good college basketball coaches routinely coach into old age and he could easily have another 10 years left on his career, he's still old enough that some of the blue chip programs might want to pass on him for someone younger, and also old enough that he might not want to take on another rebuild after he gets State rolling.

tcdog70
05-30-2017, 03:10 PM
Holman and Herard really have two very different games. Holman is the better skilled player but he tends to gravitate away from the basket while Herard is the bigger more physical presence that tends to gravitate towards the basket. I am interested to see what Ado & Herard look like on defense together. Points in the paint will be difficult for other teams with those two big dudes down there.

number one thing Heard needs to work on is catching the ball. He has hands of stone. Worst hands since Bill Kamphus. It would help if he could work on better post up positioning and making it easier for entry passes.

tcdog70
05-30-2017, 03:13 PM
Ben Howland is 60 now. So let's say next year MSU blows up and he gets the opportunity to move to a better program/city at the age of 61. Presumably that will come with another two years of rebuilding like he has done at all his other jobs, which optimistically is 20% of his remaining career, and much more than 20% of his remaining career under less optimistic circumstances. And it's also possible it might take two or three years of winning at MSU before the right opportunity comes up, at which point jumping ship makes even less sense (for both Howland and whowever would be hiring him)

Unless he just wants to be in a different city, I think we caught him at the right point in his career. Although good college basketball coaches routinely coach into old age and he could easily have another 10 years left on his career, he's still old enough that some of the blue chip programs might want to pass on him for someone younger, and also old enough that he might not want to take on another rebuild after he gets State rolling.

i think we need to worry about our pasture being green first. I would like for us to have a legitimate worry for Ben getting the hell out of Dodge. Right now He needs to get us to the post season, then we might have reason to worry.

Bothrops
05-30-2017, 03:56 PM
If Howland has a couple of good seasons, he'll get a raise too.

MCsMGs
05-30-2017, 07:54 PM
number one thing Heard needs to work on is catching the ball. He has hands of stone. Worst hands since Bill Kamphus. It would help if he could work on better post up positioning and making it easier for entry passes.

In my view, the much bigger problem was the lazy use of picks by the guards. Many time Herard had excellent position only to have the guards get to a pick and reverse the direction of rotation. It's nearly impossible for a player to establish and maintain position in the post for an extended time without fouling or getting doubled. Most of the problems we had penetrating was poor execution from the guards.

tcdog70
05-30-2017, 08:51 PM
In my view, the much bigger problem was the lazy use of picks by the guards. Many time Herard had excellent position only to have the guards get to a pick and reverse the direction of rotation. It's nearly impossible for a player to establish and maintain position in the post for an extended time without fouling or getting doubled. Most of the problems we had penetrating was poor execution from the guards.

Ben said when got to State we were the worst Screen setting team He had ever seen. IJ seems like He always went the wrong way on a pick.

lamont
05-30-2017, 09:20 PM
Howland isnt leaving State until he wins more and another bigger Adidas school decides they want him

apparently people dont understand how much power the shoe companies have in CBB today

Dawg61
05-30-2017, 10:08 PM
Howland isnt leaving State until he wins more and another bigger Adidas school decides they want him

apparently people dont understand how much power the shoe companies have in CBB today

Lucky for us there's never going to be a bigger Adidas school than MSU that's looking for a coach anytime soon. Kansas? Nope. Louisville? Nope. UCLA? Haha

KentuckyDawg13
05-31-2017, 11:28 AM
Isn't today the day Howland is supposed to speak with Kegler? Info?