PDA

View Full Version : JT Ginn 2017 Gatorade Player of the Year.

Commercecomet24
05-25-2017, 09:04 PM
My buddy Mikes kid. He's gonna be a great one! He's looking forward to playing in the new Dude!

msstate7
05-25-2017, 09:06 PM
Draft risk?

Commercecomet24
05-25-2017, 09:07 PM
One of the top players in the country but Mike says he's coming to State.

Goldendawg
05-25-2017, 09:09 PM
Where is he from?

Bully13
05-25-2017, 09:13 PM
My wool runneth over.

https://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=467589

Commercecomet24
05-25-2017, 09:18 PM
He's from Brandon. He throws 95 from the mound, hit over 400 this year with 16 hrs including 4 grand slams and walked 40 times. He's a stud!

ETA: Mike and JT both love Cannizzaro

missouridawg
05-25-2017, 09:21 PM
He is a junior in high school and throws 95?

Commercecomet24
05-25-2017, 09:24 PM
He is a junior in high school and throws 95?

Yep. Nationals scout got him as high as 97 against petal. He's the real deal. Just got invited to tournament of stars in North Carolina and will play on team USA

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-25-2017, 09:25 PM
My buddy Mikes kid. He's gonna be a great one! He's looking forward to playing in the new Dude!

In his tweet about the award he thanked Dak for inspiration. The Dak Effect reaches across all sports.

Bully13
05-25-2017, 09:27 PM
Wooly Bully, Wooly Bully. Idnt that how the song goes?

Commercecomet24
05-25-2017, 09:28 PM
In his tweet about the award he thanked Dak for inspiration. The Dak Effect reaches across all sports.

It's crazy we spent our whole history with nothing to speak of as a qb and then all of a sudden we get blessed with Dak! Amazing it's like all our years of suffering were rewarded.

Tbonewannabe
05-25-2017, 09:31 PM
What position does he play?

missouridawg
05-25-2017, 09:31 PM
My goodness. Getting this kid to campus would be huge.

Commercecomet24
05-25-2017, 09:38 PM

Plays SS but probably play 3B for us and pitch. Pro scouts been working him out behind the plate some.

Bully13
05-25-2017, 09:38 PM

Dominant pitcher who also goes yard with regularity at the plate.

Commercecomet24
05-25-2017, 09:39 PM
My goodness. Getting this kid to campus would be huge.

He could be Rooker 2.0 that can also pitch.

Commercecomet24
05-25-2017, 09:42 PM
Me and his dad grew up
Playing ball together. His dad is old school and taught jt that way. JT not one of these pampered spoiled kids. He's humble, works hard and has respect for the game.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-25-2017, 09:47 PM
Me and his dad grew up
Playing ball together. His dad is old school and taught jt that way. JT not one of these pampered spoiled kids. He's humble, works hard and has respect for the game.

Sounds like he will be a good Bulldog!

Commercecomet24
05-25-2017, 09:50 PM
Sounds like he will be a good Bulldog!

Great player and a fine young man.

msstate7
05-25-2017, 09:55 PM
Perfect Game has his fastball at 94 and that's in the top 98.88% of the country. Anyone know where he's projected in draft? I know you're a friend of the family and the kid wants to be here, but everyone has a number that changes things

state66
05-25-2017, 10:04 PM
If the Ginn family tells the scouts hes going to school then they wont waste an early round pick on him.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-25-2017, 10:09 PM

Not quite the same situation, but I was visiting Houston, Tx and went to a grocery store. It was a Friday and of course I had something MSU on, but it was just a polo with a small mstate patch on the front. During checkout a young Hispanic guy asked me about Dak and BMac and if I saw them play. I talked to him about 5 or 10 minutes about game day and seeing those two in action. To say they're making a positive impression is an understatement. I was really shocked at how he recognized the logo.

Todd4State
05-25-2017, 10:10 PM
He could be Rooker 2.0 that can also pitch.

That sounds a little bit like Pete Young.

Commercecomet24
05-25-2017, 10:16 PM
Perfect Game has his fastball at 94 and that's in the top 98.88% of the country. Anyone know where he's projected in draft? I know you're a friend of the family and the kid wants to be here, but everyone has a number that changes things

First to second round. Mike's says he's playing at State and he wants jt to have the college experience. JT wants to play at the new Dude and they love Cann.

msstate7
05-25-2017, 10:18 PM
First to second round. Mike's says he's playing at State and he wants jt to have the college experience. JT wants to play at the new Dude and they love Cann.

You know them so I'll certainly defer to you, but that's hard to turn down

Commercecomet24
05-25-2017, 10:22 PM

Anything can happen. I talk or text mike several times a week and they've never wavered. I firmly believe we will see him in Maroon and White.

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-25-2017, 10:38 PM
Dak spoke at the banquet is why he mentioned him being an inspiration.

Todd4State
05-25-2017, 10:42 PM

Times are slowly starting to change. Education is becoming more and more of a priority in our society. Stats show that if you go to college first your chances of going to MLB increase compared to high school. College baseball is growing too. Look at Ole Miss and their last class...and that's Ole Miss.

Also as we have discussed Cann is going to change things for us as far as retention and our fans aren't used to that. But they're going to have to.

Thick
05-25-2017, 10:44 PM
I like what I'm reading right now!

Commercecomet24
05-25-2017, 11:17 PM
Times are slowly starting to change. Education is becoming more and more of a priority in our society. Stats show that if you go to college first your chances of going to MLB increase compared to high school. College baseball is growing too. Look at Ole Miss and their last class...and that's Ole Miss.

Also as we have discussed Cann is going to change things for us as far as retention and our fans aren't used to that. But they're going to have to.

Yep times have changed. A lot of kids making the decision to go to college and play first now. JT is an honor student too.

HoopsDawg
05-25-2017, 11:36 PM
That sounds a little bit like Pete Young.

Lol, I was thinking the same thing. Be a middle of the order third baseman and come in to close.

Todd4State
05-25-2017, 11:52 PM
Yep times have changed. A lot of kids making the decision to go to college and play first now. JT is an honor student too.

He's going to be a great one for us. I think he's the most talented player to come out of Mississippi since Austin Riley. His class is much deeper in state than this year's senior class too. Luke Hancock, Landon Jordan, Bryce Brock and Brandon Smith are all talented players from Mississippi that are committed to us.

And then Cohen/Cann have some really talented out of state players committed as well in Carter Stewart, Cole Winn, Jeremiah Jackson, Basiel Williams, Will Morrison, Hayden Jones, and Sam Knowlton.

CadaverDawg
05-26-2017, 12:00 AM
One of the top players in the country but Mike says he's coming to State.

My man! Bringing the good news.

Commercecomet24
05-26-2017, 12:41 AM
Cohen recruited well but Cann will surpass what he did. Future is bright!

Commercecomet24
05-26-2017, 12:44 AM
He's going to be a great one for us. I think he's the most talented player to come out of Mississippi since Austin Riley. His class is much deeper in state than this year's senior class too. Luke Hancock, Landon Jordan, Bryce Brock and Brandon Smith are all talented players from Mississippi that are committed to us.

And then Cohen/Cann have some really talented out of state players committed as well in Carter Stewart, Cole Winn, Jeremiah Jackson, Basiel Williams, Will Morrison, Hayden Jones, and Sam Knowlton.

Yeah this is gonna be a great class! funny thing about JT he grew up playing travel ball with the Bianco boys and are good friends. Glad we got him! He's a difference maker at the plate and on the mound.

Todd4State
05-26-2017, 02:18 AM
Yeah this is gonna be a great class! funny thing about JT he grew up playing travel ball with the Bianco boys and are good friends. Glad we got him! He's a difference maker at the plate and on the mound.

I think it's really funny that Bianco's son committed to LSU when Cannizaro was still there. In hindsight, that has to leave a mark.

BB30
05-26-2017, 08:51 AM

Yep, It is pretty easy to get lost in the fray for a kid out of high school going straight to pro ball. I think you learn so much as a player playing college ball first and you have a chance to mature and grow up a bit. I honestly think unless you are a lottery pick(top 15 overall) it makes more sense to go to school long term. I know high six figures low 7 is tough to turn down but after taxes and living on 1100$ a month for several years it isn't nearly as much as it sounds.

Tbonewannabe
05-26-2017, 09:02 AM
Yep, It is pretty easy to get lost in the fray for a kid out of high school going straight to pro ball. I think you learn so much as a player playing college ball first and you have a chance to mature and grow up a bit. I honestly think unless you are a lottery pick(top 15 overall) it makes more sense to go to school long term. I know high six figures low 7 is tough to turn down but after taxes and living on 1100$ a month for several years it isn't nearly as much as it sounds.

It depends on if you get enough to buy a house, car, and get your school paid for after a few years in the minors. You need to get enough money to make that worth it combined with the chance to make the MLB goes down by skipping college. More active MLB players now went to college than straight out of high school. I might be wrong but I thought I saw 60% of MLB players went to college. If you then look at foreign players then American born players more than likely need to go to college to be successful.

HoopsDawg
05-26-2017, 09:15 AM
It depends on if you get enough to buy a house, car, and get your school paid for after a few years in the minors. You need to get enough money to make that worth it combined with the chance to make the MLB goes down by skipping college. More active MLB players now went to college than straight out of high school. I might be wrong but I thought I saw 60% of MLB players went to college. If you then look at foreign players then American born players more than likely need to go to college to be successful.

If you are good enough, the money will be there in 3 years too + you have enhanced your chances of making MLB.

MarketingBully
05-26-2017, 09:29 AM
I agree Hoops. If you are a borderline 1st-2nd round kid out of high school, you sure as shit can turn that into a top ten pick in three years. And the difference between a borderline 1st second round pick goes from $1 million to $4.3 million so you will have made yourself a cool $3.3 million more just by waiting three years.

Commercecomet24
05-26-2017, 12:07 PM
If you are good enough, the money will be there in 3 years too + you have enhanced your chances of making MLB.

You nailed it. JT has a strong support system at home and education is super important.

msstate7
05-26-2017, 12:10 PM

Yeah, but why chance it if the money is there now?

Tbonewannabe
05-26-2017, 01:16 PM

Complete Risk vs Reward. You have a lot better chance at making the big show by going to college so if the money is about the same or you might go higher then it might benefit you going to college.

Commercecomet24
05-26-2017, 01:21 PM

For one thing you get an insurance policy to protect you in case of injury.

HaggardDawg
05-26-2017, 01:21 PM
Roy Oswalt, since retiring from MLB, has been working as a sports agent. He's been seen around Brandon a good bit scouting Ginn.

Homedawg
05-26-2017, 01:40 PM
Roy Oswalt, since retiring from MLB, has been working as a sports agent. He's been seen around Brandon a good bit scouting Ginn.

To clarify, he's not working as an agent. He's working as a recruiter for his agent.

HaggardDawg
05-26-2017, 01:47 PM
To clarify, he's not working as an agent. He's working as a recruiter for his agent.

That's correct. I think he's working towards becoming an agent though

HoopsDawg
05-26-2017, 01:58 PM

B/C you may be taking a bigger risk to your career by entering the minors before you are ready. Yes, that bonus check is nice, but the minors chew up and spit out a lot of players that aren't ready.

BB30
05-26-2017, 04:33 PM
B/C you may be taking a bigger risk to your career by entering the minors before you are ready. Yes, that bonus check is nice, but the minors chew up and spit out a lot of players that aren't ready.

And you also risk getting hurt in college. It is pretty much dependent on the kid. I still think if you aren't a lottery pick your best option is to go to school. Played with a guy in college that was drafted in the 4th round out of high school before they had the cap he turned down right around 1 mill. Ended up not doing well in college and didn't even get a FA senior sign out of college. Played with several high school kids in pro ball that were back end of 1st round-4th rounders that didn't make it through two seasons and were back at home. It goes both ways, I personally will always lean towards going to school unless you go in the top half of the 1st round.

I think it also depends on if your a position player or a pitcher and what organization drafts you. I would be more inclined to leave out of high school as a pitcher than a position player. There is so much you don't learn in high school and the competition you see every day is poor compared to what you will be thrown in to in pro ball. With college you get 3 years to get acclimated. Take Dakota Hudson for example there would be a really good chance he would have been let go before he really started to figure stuff out.

ShotgunDawg
05-26-2017, 05:02 PM

I think college is a better place for hitters to develop, but not pitchers. If pitchers get paid, they need to go pro before they get hurt or benched for not throwing strikes.

We just had 7 Tommy Johns and you are arguing that pitchers offered 700+ K should go to college?

Hitters I agree should go to college.

HoopsDawg
05-26-2017, 08:59 PM
I think college is a better place for hitters to develop, but not pitchers. If pitchers get paid, they need to go pro before they get hurt or benched for not throwing strikes.

We just had 7 Tommy Johns and you are arguing that pitchers offered 700+ K should go to college?

Hitters I agree should go to college.

No I'm not arguing that all. I'm speaking about Ginn. He may not be ready to decide if he is a pitcher only. Personally, I would want to swing the bat for as long as I could. Playing once every 7 days sucks.

Commercecomet24
05-26-2017, 09:33 PM
No I'm not arguing that all. I'm speaking about Ginn. He may not be ready to decide if he is a pitcher only. Personally, I would want to swing the bat for as long as I could. Playing once every 7 days sucks.

I can tell you right now. JT doesn't want to just pitch right now. He wants to hit and play a position as well as pitch. One reason he's more interested in going to college cause MLB scouts pretty much all want him as a pitcher right now but he wants to play everyday and cohen and Cann want him to play everyday and close games. You're right on here, Hoops.