CadaverDawg
05-25-2017, 01:34 PM
I think that may be a bit premature, but glad to hear it being said

Dawgface
05-25-2017, 01:36 PM
That would be awesome.

LC Dawg
05-25-2017, 01:37 PM
It will help us a lot if Auburn beats Arkansas later today.

Johnson85
05-25-2017, 01:42 PM
I guess they'd do it in Jackson if we hosted?

It'd be awesome if we could host in Biloxi. Might leave a little better impression on visitors than Jackson would.

Coldsleeve Jr.
05-25-2017, 01:46 PM
Does the renovation go on if we host? Havent thought about it much just assumed it would wait for home games to be done

Homedawg
05-25-2017, 01:47 PM

It'd be awesome if we could host in Biloxi. Might leave a little better impression on visitors than Jackson would.

first, we arent hosting. SEcond, why would we not play at dnf? they havent torn it down yet.

MarketingBully
05-25-2017, 01:50 PM
If Auburn beats Arkansas this afternoon and we beat UF, yes we would be back in the hosting discussion.

LC Dawg
05-25-2017, 01:52 PM

Yeah, we should have it at Smith Wills. The opposing fans would enjoy the gun battles in the parking lot.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-25-2017, 02:09 PM
It's premature. I don't see us hosting if we lose the next two. So I do not think we are locked in.

MarketingBully
05-25-2017, 02:13 PM
It's premature. I don't see us hosting if we lose the next two. So I do not think we are locked in.

If what I said comes to fruition (Arkansas losing to Auburn and us beating Florida), we most definitely lock down a hosting spot. RPI isn't the only thing they look at and we only finished a game or so behind Arkansas anyway.

msudawglb
05-25-2017, 02:19 PM
If what I said comes to fruition (Arkansas losing to Auburn and us beating Florida), we most definitely lock down a hosting spot. RPI isn't the only thing they look at and we only finished a game or so behind Arkansas anyway.

We should host at a Starkville little league field. With at least 8 at bats, Rooker could pad his stats.

TNDawg35
05-25-2017, 02:46 PM
We should host at a Starkville little league field. With at least 8 at bats, Rooker could pad his stats.

Tanner Poole likes this idea.

Todd4State
05-25-2017, 02:48 PM
Our RPI went all the way up to 29.

**** you RPI.

Homedawg
05-25-2017, 02:59 PM

Lock down? Man you are being way too optimistic.

confucius say
05-25-2017, 03:04 PM
Need to beat fl twice and lsu/ky on Sunday to have a chance.

MarketingBully
05-25-2017, 03:04 PM

**** you RPI.

The committee doesn't look at just RPI. There are a number of factors there but I do think we should hope Arky goes 2 and Que.

MarketingBully
05-25-2017, 03:05 PM
Need to beat fl twice and lsu/ky on Sunday to have a chance.

I don't think we have to win the tournament to host.

Todd4State
05-25-2017, 03:07 PM
The committee doesn't look at just RPI. There are a number of factors there but I do think we should hope Arky goes 2 and Que.

Absolutely. And we need to get ahead of Vanderbilt in RPI too.

I'm just mad at RPI because in my mind you beat a top 15 team it should go up more than one spot.

MarketingBully
05-25-2017, 03:08 PM
Personally I think if we finish 3-1 in the tournament with beating Florida once and losing to them once we should be in a decent position. I don't think Arkansas is locked as what some people are saying. If they lose to Auburn, wouldn't their RPI drop to the 20s?

confucius say
05-25-2017, 03:09 PM
Who was the last sec team outside top 20 rpi to host?

MarketingBully
05-25-2017, 03:09 PM
Absolutely. And we need to get ahead of Vanderbilt in RPI too.

I'm just mad at RPI because in my mind you beat a top 15 team it should go up more than one spot.

Vanderbilt ahead of us in RPI should tell you right there how much of a joke it is. That is not a good Vandy team.

MarketingBully
05-25-2017, 03:16 PM
Man that 1-5 finish down the stretch and two losses to UGA really screwed us. It sucks that it lowered our RPI so much. It wasn't reflective of what we had done the whole year. There are teams with inflated RPIs that have no business being there.

MarketingBully
05-25-2017, 03:30 PM
Yeah, after seeing where we are in the RPI pecking order, I don't see how we can host unless winning the whole tournament. The RPI is a joke. Florida State at 14? WVU as high as they are? Vandy ahead of us? A lot of those teams ahead of us have been knocked out of their tournaments so they aren't moving. Just really sucks that they use that metric for hosting.

archdog
05-25-2017, 03:34 PM
Yeah, after seeing where we are in the RPI pecking order, I don't see how we can host unless winning the whole tournament. The RPI is a joke. Florida State at 14? WVU as high as they are? Vandy ahead of us? A lot of those teams ahead of us have been knocked out of their tournaments so they aren't moving. Just really sucks that they use that metric for hosting.

Regardless, DNF demo is on hold until they find out if we are hosting or not.

Todd4State
05-25-2017, 03:35 PM
Personally I think if we finish 3-1 in the tournament with beating Florida once and losing to them once we should be in a decent position. I don't think Arkansas is locked as what some people are saying. If they lose to Auburn, wouldn't their RPI drop to the 20s?

Possibly since their RPI last time I looked was 18 after we beat them.

Steakonastick
No sec team has ever hosted with an rpi above 20. I think we need to make the Championship game to be in decision.

Todd4State
Regardless, DNF demo is on hold until they find out if we are hosting or not.

I think the original plan for the demolition was after June 19 anyway.

Steakonastick
05-25-2017, 03:36 PM
Also major construction does not start till June 19th

somebodyshotmypaw
05-25-2017, 03:52 PM

I understand. I am addressing Todd Walker saying we are locked in as a host because we beat Arkansas. If we lose BOTH of our next two games, I don't see us hosting.

Johnson85
05-25-2017, 04:15 PM
first, we arent hosting. SEcond, why would we not play at dnf? they havent torn it down yet.

It had been posted that it was demolition was going to go ahead and start because the window to get it completed in time for next season was already tight.

But if demolition isn't starting until June 19th, obviously a non-issue.

smootness
05-25-2017, 04:29 PM
It is much easier for your RPI to drop at this point in the year than for it to climb. We have basically no shot to get it inside the top 20 at this point.

I think we could host without winning the tournament but find it very unlikely.

msbulldog
05-25-2017, 07:12 PM
Ya'll boys forget that RPI only counts ~25% with the committee. MSU can consistently put 15,000+ butts in the seats and we traditionally are among the highest $bidders for a hosting site. Don't give up hope yet!

Liverpooldawg
05-25-2017, 07:19 PM
This thread totally exemplifies THE Mississippi State mind set, plus the usual Rebels in disguise. Most other fan bases would be talking up why they should host. Ours basically does everything it can to explain why we shouldnt.

LC Dawg
05-25-2017, 07:33 PM
This thread totally exemplifies THE Mississippi State mind set, plus the usual Rebels in disguise. Most other fan bases would be talking up why they should host. Ours basically does everything it can to explain why we shouldnt.
That's because we've been a baseball school for a while and our experience enables us to know what it takes to be picked to host. We could go on about our tradition and how we should host because of our field and our fans but that would be the same as some school's fans thinking they should host because of the square, the grove, and beer showers. That's not how this works.

RocketDawg
05-25-2017, 07:33 PM
Doesn't look like Auburn is going to win this one.

RocketDawg
05-25-2017, 07:35 PM
That's because we've been a baseball school for a while and our experience enables us to know what it takes to be picked to host. We could go on about our tradition and how we should host because of our field and our fans but that would be the same as some school's fans thinking they should host because of the square, the grove, and beer showers. That's not how this works.

It's not totally analogous. Regionals at MSU are always well attended, and the NCAA really does like our fans, and for good reason. Can't say the same for the "grove".

CadaverDawg
05-25-2017, 07:41 PM
Any chance the last year of the LFL could help a little if we're borderline? And our baseball coach/AD? You know John Cohen is pushing hard

Liverpooldawg
05-25-2017, 07:47 PM

No, it's really not. Interesting post.

starkvegasdawg
05-25-2017, 07:47 PM
Doesn't look like Auburn is going to win this one.

It's just 10-0 in the 5th and AU is being no hit. I don't get your negativity.

LC Dawg
05-25-2017, 07:52 PM
Any chance the last year of the LFL could help a little if we're borderline? And our baseball coach/AD? You know John Cohen is pushing hard
I don't think much will help us if our rpi is over 20. Arkansas is killing Auburn right now so I don't think we take their spot. How solid is Southern's hosting spot? I know they lost yesterday and won today. Can they lose themselves out of hosting in the CUSA tournament?

Liverpooldawg
05-25-2017, 07:54 PM
I don't think much will help us if our rpi is over 20. Arkansas is killing Auburn right now so I don't think we take their spot. How solid is Southern's hosting spot? I know they lost yesterday and won today. Can they lose themselves out of hosting in the CUSA tournament?

Yep, interesting.

LC Dawg
05-25-2017, 08:04 PM
Yep, interesting.
My point was that if it's not 100% sunshine pumping on here you always jump in and blast State fans. I try real hard to not get in pissing matches on here so have a good evening.

CadaverDawg
05-25-2017, 08:19 PM
Southern won't lose their host spot. No chance. But I think there are several others that could. If we beat Florida tomorrow, we will have a shot at it. Some of y'all are putting a little TOO much emphasis on rpi in my opinion. Yes, it's very important, but just like 20+ rpi rarely hosts...19+ SEC wins rarely doesn't host. So it's not all about the rpi. In my opinion we were never taking Arkansas' host spot after they finished 4th, but we can take someone else's. Beating Florida is a monster task for us though, so all of this is probably moot.

Liverpooldawg
05-25-2017, 08:20 PM
My point was that if it's not 100% sunshine pumping on here you always jump in and blast State fans. I try real hard to not get in pissing matches on here so have a good evening.

Yep

CadaverDawg
05-25-2017, 08:22 PM
Yep

Why do you insist on being "that guy"?

Liverpooldawg
05-25-2017, 08:32 PM

Why not? This place needs some "sunshine" even if I do disagree with the label. Those that actually do know me, and at least one here does, would find that "sunshine pumper" label highly amusing. Then again most of the MSU folks I know aren't relentlessly negative. They are pretty realistic.

CadaverDawg
05-25-2017, 08:35 PM
Why not? This place needs some "sunshine" even if I do disagree with the label. Those that actually do know me, and at least one here does, would find that "sunshine pumper" label highly amusing. Then again most of the MSU folks I know aren't relentlessly negative. They are pretty realistic.

"Sunshine pumper" guy is not the "that guy" I was referring to...."annoying thread killer smartass" guy is the guy. Your coach ass kissing that you call "sunshine pumping", isn't nearly your worst trait.

Goldendawg
05-25-2017, 08:47 PM
I know little about them except they won their "conference" and didn't we beat them a time or two this year? What is Southern's SOS and RPI? I know the SEC can't get every host spot, but is Southern for real or just the best team in a nothing conference?

msstate7
05-25-2017, 08:49 PM
I know little about them except they won their "conference" and didn't we beat them a time or two this year? What is Southern's SOS and RPI? I know the SEC can't get every host spot, but is Southern for real or just the best team in a nothing conference?

They beat us

Goldendawg
05-25-2017, 08:53 PM
Thanks. Had forgotten that, should have asked my son. That was a mid-game, so is their conference a good baseball league this year?

Jack Lambert
05-25-2017, 08:55 PM
They beat us

Give us our 8 pitchers back and they don't beat us and to add to it we would take 2 of 3 from them on the weekend. Don't forget Ole Miss beat them.

Liverpooldawg
05-25-2017, 09:53 PM
"Sunshine pumper" guy is not the "that guy" I was referring to...."annoying thread killer smartass" guy is the guy. Your coach ass kissing that you call "sunshine pumping", isn't nearly your worst trait.

Relentless negativity brings out the &$@&@!: in me. I just can't help myself, esp when it tries to portray itself as being "realistic."

Todd4State
05-25-2017, 10:12 PM
Give us our 8 pitchers back and they don't beat us and to add to it we would take 2 of 3 from them on the weekend. Don't forget Ole Miss beat them.

We also didn't have Mangum because that was the game he was suspended. And Ole Miss actually beat them twice.

Todd4State
05-25-2017, 10:16 PM

I think it's possible if they lose to a low RPI team in their conference tournament again.

I think our only chance is to win the SEC Tournament probably because the likely would mean beating Florida at least once and probably twice and then probably LSU or Kentucky in the Championship Game.

maroonmania
05-25-2017, 10:47 PM
Thanks. Had forgotten that, should have asked my son. That was a mid-game, so is their conference a good baseball league this year?

They beat us right after we had been swept by Arkansas which was probably the low point of the season.

BuckyIsAB****
05-25-2017, 10:49 PM

Thank you

Dawg61
05-26-2017, 03:46 AM

This post is actually totally spot on Liverpool. The NCAA stopped rewarding host spots to traditional baseball schools about ten years ago. They pick the 16 host spots based on strongest resumes only now.

HSVDawg
05-26-2017, 04:11 AM

**** you RPI.

We currently have awful losses to Morehead State and Marist, a bad loss to FIU, 2 losses to a really bad UGA team and 2 losses to a pretty bad Oregon team. We should easily have, at a minimum, 3 or 4 wins in that stretch of 7 games where we shit the bed. We have no one to blame but ourselves for our RPI being where it is. You can't cheat a mathematical formula, or be cheated by it. We go 3-4 instead of 0-7 in the games mentioned above, and it's a non-issue.

HSVDawg
05-26-2017, 04:12 AM
I think it's possible if they lose to a low RPI team in their conference tournament again.

I think our only chance is to win the SEC Tournament probably because the likely would mean beating Florida at least once and probably twice and then probably LSU or Kentucky in the Championship Game.

USM has 45 ****ing wins. They are hosting no matter what.

MetEdDawg
05-26-2017, 07:11 AM
Here's the scenario no one is talking about. Let's say we get a 2 seed, and the regional we pair up with also has a 2 seed come out. How does that affect construction if we potentially host?

Todd4State
05-26-2017, 08:21 AM
We currently have awful losses to Morehead State and Marist, a bad loss to FIU, 2 losses to a really bad UGA team and 2 losses to a pretty bad Oregon team. We should easily have, at a minimum, 3 or 4 wins in that stretch of 7 games where we shit the bed. We have no one to blame but ourselves for our RPI being where it is. You can't cheat a mathematical formula, or be cheated by it. We go 3-4 instead of 0-7 in the games mentioned above, and it's a non-issue.

Oregon and Georgia are both top 100 RPI teams that we played on the road. We also have more top 50 RPI wins than most people.

Todd4State
05-26-2017, 08:22 AM
Here's the scenario no one is talking about. Let's say we get a 2 seed, and the regional we pair up with also has a 2 seed come out. How does that affect construction if we potentially host?

It won't affect construction because it is scheduled to start after the SR's.

HSVDawg
05-26-2017, 09:03 AM
Oregon and Georgia are both top 100 RPI teams that we played on the road. We also have more top 50 RPI wins than most people.

The top 50 wins are fools gold. We have 15 Top 50 wins, but 11 of those are teams 31-50. Just 4 against the top 30 and one series win against a top 30 team. That is another reason we are where we are in the RPI. We haven't beaten many of the upper echelon teams.

But, we are a rock solid 2-seed and I still think that is a hell of an accomplishment for this team.