PDA

View Full Version : Goff-'Bama baseball coach fired

ETDawg
05-24-2017, 02:12 PM
after one season.

Him trying to revoke scholarships is apparently straw that broke camel's back. Appears to be other issues also

ShotgunDawg
05-24-2017, 02:28 PM
after one season.

Him trying to revoke scholarships is apparently straw that broke camel's back. Appears to be other issues also

Every school revokes scholarships. They just don't come out and say it.

Most every upper class man is told to they won't play or their 60% scholly is dialed back to 20%

The Federalist Engineer
05-24-2017, 02:57 PM
after one season.

Are there some pitching croots to snake here? I guess Heatherly is fools gold, but how about this dude...

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/PlayerProfile.aspx?ID=413655

mstatefan91
05-24-2017, 03:00 PM
Don't know the guy who wrote this, but it is damning.

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2017/5/23/15679632/editorial-an-open-letter-to-alabama-athletic-director-greg-byrne-greg-goff-has-to-go

MarketingBully
05-24-2017, 03:04 PM
I wonder how many notes and emails he got for hiring Cohen but the difference was he made the hire. Very hard to fire someone after one year especially a guy who has been successful everywhere he has been. I think this time the Ninja will have made a risky move that ends up back firing but we shall see.

mstatefan91
05-24-2017, 03:08 PM
I wonder how many notes and emails he got for hiring Cohen but the difference was he made the hire. Very hard to fire someone after one year especially a guy who has been successful everywhere he has been. I think this time the Ninja will have made a risky move that ends up back firing but we shall see.

The biggest issue is that he apparently told multiple players that their scholarships would not be renewed, which is now against NCAA rules. You can't cut a player for athletic performance.

Basically, it appears that he didn't even have a halfway decent reason to get rid of the players other than he wanted his own guys. That's a no-no now.

MarketingBully
05-24-2017, 03:08 PM

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2017/5/23/15679632/editorial-an-open-letter-to-alabama-athletic-director-greg-byrne-greg-goff-has-to-go

What's shitty is that baseball only gets 11.7 scholarships so coaches have to make these extremely tough decisions on who gets scholarship money and what percent. Why this hasn't been changed to at least as many scholarships as roster spots is beyond me.

mstatefan91
05-24-2017, 03:09 PM
What's shitty is that baseball only gets 11.7 scholarships so coaches have to make these extremely tough decisions on who gets scholarship money and what percent. Why this hasn't been changed to at least as many scholarships as roster spots is beyond me.

Probably has something to do with Title IX

MetEdDawg
05-24-2017, 03:15 PM
His first call should be to Casey Dunn. Don't care who else is available and what their record is. Casey Dunn knows the state, he's recruited good players to Samford, and he knows how to coach baseball. They would be stupid not to pick the phone up and call him.

RocketDawg
05-24-2017, 04:07 PM
The biggest issue is that he apparently told multiple players that their scholarships would not be renewed, which is now against NCAA rules. You can't cut a player for athletic performance.

Basically, it appears that he didn't even have a halfway decent reason to get rid of the players other than he wanted his own guys. That's a no-no now.

Seems like that would be the main reason for non-renewal since that's why they got the scholarship in the first place. I doubt many are on academic scholarships (which CAN be cut for non-performance).

LockeDawg
05-24-2017, 04:13 PM

Ninja had no choice, Goff fired himself. He was warned by the Administration that he couldn't pull scholly's and he went on anyway and tried to cut 10 guys just last week so he could bring in "his" JUCO's.

Add in an atrocious personality that all but got his program banned from a few high school's in-state, he spurned former players, and turned a cold cheek to program donor's, then he jacked around by handing out player punishment by withholding the players travel per diem. WTF? There was plenty of cause for Ninja to can his ass.

LockeDawg
05-24-2017, 04:15 PM
Seems like that would be the main reason for non-renewal since that's why they got the scholarship in the first place. I doubt many are on academic scholarships (which CAN be cut for non-performance).NCAA laid down a new rule for all P5 programs.

According to NCAA bylaw 15.3.5.2, institutions cannot revoke or reduce a scholarship because of an athlete’s ability, performance, physical or mental condition. According to NCAA bylaw 15.3.4.3.1, an institution may not set forth an athletically related condition that would permit the institution to reduce or cancel a scholarship if the conditions are not satisfied.

shoeless joe
05-24-2017, 04:54 PM

I'm sure he deserved the ax but this letter sounds like petty fan whining because they're losing. A lot of the stuff he complains about could be said for saban as well.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-24-2017, 05:33 PM
Seems like that would be the main reason for non-renewal since that's why they got the scholarship in the first place. I doubt many are on academic scholarships (which CAN be cut for non-performance).

I went to MSU on a full ride academic scholarship. It had GPA and hours taken requirements or I lost the scholarship. If I didn't perform I would lose it. So athletes should be able to have their's pulled for non-performance also in my opinion.

mstatefan91
05-24-2017, 05:44 PM
I went to MSU on a full ride academic scholarship. It had GPA and hours taken requirements or I lost the scholarship. If I didn't perform I would lose it. So athletes should be able to have their's pulled for non-performance also in my opinion.

Agreed to an extent. But according to a new rule put in place in 2015, power 5 conferences can no longer cut a player solely for athletic performance. There has to be academic trouble, not showing up to meetings/practice, missing games, missing curfew, etc.

This is why many people think Goff had so many team rules. It wasn't to create better discipline but to have the players he wanted off to slip up but apparently that didn't occur. Again, that's the thought and rumor from the fire Goff side.

Todd4State
05-24-2017, 05:50 PM

I agree with this.

msbulldog
05-24-2017, 06:38 PM
His first call should be to Casey Dunn. Don't care who else is available and what their record is. Casey Dunn knows the state, he's recruited good players to Samford, and he knows how to coach baseball. They would be stupid not to pick the phone up and call him.

Hell I think the ninja should call Bianco.

msbulldog
05-24-2017, 06:45 PM
Ninja had no choice, Goff fired himself. He was warned by the Administration that he couldn't pull scholly's and he went on anyway and tried to cut 10 guys just last week so he could bring in "his" JUCO's.

Add in an atrocious personality that all but got his program banned from a few high school's in-state, he spurned former players, and turned a cold cheek to program donor's, then he jacked around by handing out player punishment by withholding the players travel per diem. WTF? There was plenty of cause for Ninja to can his ass.

You nailed it, read same thing on other boards. Rep given.

Todd4State
05-24-2017, 06:50 PM
Hell I think the ninja should call Bianco.

Why? LOL. That would be very un-Greg Byrne. I'm not sure who they will go after. I could see Cohen recommending Henderson though.

basedog
05-24-2017, 07:01 PM
Scott Berry, not a sexy hire but he does a good job at Usm. He knows the recruit area and his players seem to like him.

ShotgunDawg
05-24-2017, 07:27 PM
Scott Berry, not a sexy hire but he does a good job at Usm. He knows the recruit area and his players seem to like him.

That USM staff is really good.

You nailed it that it wouldn't be sexy but they would win. That staff is high energy and aggressive.

USM could've won the SEC West this year if they were in it.

Homedawg
05-24-2017, 08:09 PM
Why? LOL. That would be very un-Greg Byrne. I'm not sure who they will go after. I could see Cohen recommending Henderson though.

They won't hire Henderson. Doesn't fit byrne's m.o

msstate7
05-24-2017, 08:18 PM
How connected to Arizona is Arizona's baseball coach?

msstate7
05-24-2017, 08:20 PM
They won't hire Henderson. Doesn't fit byrne's m.o

Rich rod was a retread.

Spiderman
05-24-2017, 08:49 PM
look for Berry or Johnson to get looks, along with Mingione if you want Ms connections

ShotgunDawg
05-24-2017, 08:53 PM
look for Berry or Johnson to get looks, along with Mingione if you want Ms connections

I can't imagine Minge leaving Kentucky for Alabama.

Kentucky is building a new stadium and has access to most of Big 10 country where them and Louisville can grab players almost unopposed

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
05-24-2017, 10:54 PM
What is Bryne's M.O.?

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
05-24-2017, 10:56 PM
How connected to Arizona is Arizona's baseball coach?

I don't think it's so much that he's connected to AZ. I think it's that he's connected to the west coast.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
05-24-2017, 10:59 PM

There's not enough talent in MS for that to be a reason to offer Mingione.

Choctaw Dawg
05-24-2017, 11:07 PM
We can't have Bama getting a halfway decent coach and recruiter. The state of Alabama is pretty fertile recruiting ground that we have been running through and a good coach along with a nice new stadium would draw them away from us to Alabama.

Spiderman
05-25-2017, 12:14 AM
There's not enough talent in MS for that to be a reason to offer Mingione.

I meant a Mississippi connection as far as interest

Todd4State
05-25-2017, 12:23 AM
What is Bryne's M.O.?

I think in this case he's going to have to make a Dan Mullen type of hire for their baseball program. My guess is he will end up with a mid major head coach and is going to do his homework during the regionals in a couple of weeks.

I seen it dawg
05-25-2017, 05:49 AM
We can't have Bama getting a halfway decent coach and recruiter. The state of Alabama is pretty fertile recruiting ground that we have been running through and a good coach along with a nice new stadium would draw them away from us to Alabama.

And from a very highly rated recruit who visited there but went to LSU last year..."it's niiiiiccceeeee. Like a country club everywhere" so with right guy they will be trouble.

HSVDawg
05-25-2017, 06:30 AM

You can't cut them for performance as in kick them off the team, but you can take their scholarship money away at any time and for any reason. You can make the decision easy for them to leave. Scholarships in all sports are only guaranteed and re-upped annually, not for a full 4-5 years.

HSVDawg
05-25-2017, 06:43 AM
And from a very highly rated recruit who visited there but went to LSU last year..."it's niiiiiccceeeee. Like a country club everywhere" so with right guy they will be trouble.

We better watch out for them coming after Hevesy then***