PDA

View Full Version : What happens if a disassociated booster gets caught continuing participating?

Reason2succeed
05-23-2017, 11:45 PM
I just can't see all of (or any of) OM's top boosters actually abiding by the disassociation coming. That might be the reason why they wanted to keep them anonymous. Mississippi is a small state and it will be too easy for these fat cats to get spotted somewhere they shouldn't be. So what happens when not if this happens?

To be clear I'm not asking about them getting caught cheating again because that is obvious. I'm just talking about attending games and doing things that disassociated boosters are no longer supposed to be able to do.

Bodaski
05-24-2017, 12:27 AM
I just can't see all of (or any of) OM's top boosters actually abiding by the disassociation coming. That might be the reason why they wanted to keep them anonymous. Mississippi is a small state and it will be too easy for these fat cats to get spotted somewhere they shouldn't be. So what happens when not if this happens?

To be clear I'm not asking about them getting caught cheating again because that is obvious. I'm just talking about attending games and doing things that disassociated boosters are no longer supposed to be able to do.

Absolutely nothing at OM. Hell, Brad Lott was disassociated and there are several photo's of he and Bjork at OM functions together. Doesn't seem to bother the rebels in the least bit. Things like that is why OM will never abide by the "disassociate booster" role. Now if they are caught by the NCAA still involved with a disassociated booster it may be different.

Bothrops
05-24-2017, 12:33 AM
The future of Mississippi appears to be Maroon. Those folks might as well learn to like it.

fader2103
05-24-2017, 08:00 AM
I believe disassociated boosters can still attend games.

Reason2succeed
05-24-2017, 08:02 AM

Okay then what can't they do and what is the penalty if they do that anyway?

Jack Lambert
05-24-2017, 08:09 AM

Wasn't Cam Newton's dad banned? Serious question.

BrunswickDawg
05-24-2017, 08:47 AM
Okay then what can't they do and what is the penalty if they do that anyway?

They can't provide support - such as purchasing season tickets, booster club donations, university foundation donations, advertise at events, etc - or be invited to exclusive events. That's about it.

Liverpooldawg
05-24-2017, 09:02 AM
They can't provide support - such as purchasing season tickets, booster club donations, university foundation donations, advertise at events, etc - or be invited to exclusive events. That's about it.

I thought I remember seeing somewhere that they can't buy tickets at all. Now we all know that's very easy to get around, you just have someone buy them for you in their name. Now if they do that with donations the IRS might have a say in that.

BrunswickDawg
05-24-2017, 09:15 AM
I thought I remember seeing somewhere that they can't buy tickets at all. Now we all know that's very easy to get around, you just have someone buy them in your name. Now if they do that with donations the IRS might have a say in that.

If booster A walks up to ticket window with cash on gameday, or buys a ticket from a scalper, there is no way to know. It's not like Charles Oakley walking in to MSG, they aren't banned from the building.

Political Hack
05-24-2017, 09:38 AM
Disassociated boosters are considered general public. They can't give money to the program and are robbed of their standard 1st amendment rights, assuming they agree to play along and fall on the sword.

If they want to be an ass about it, they could sue the ever living hell out of the university and the NCAA, both of which have zero standing to tell an individual who they can or cannot talk with.

TimberBeast
05-24-2017, 09:41 AM
What happens if a disassociated booster gets caught continuing participating?.

They get to be a message board moderator.

DownwardDawg
05-24-2017, 10:41 AM

Zing !!!!!!
+1

LockeDawg
05-24-2017, 11:30 AM

I'm more than a little surprised that OM has agreed to make the boosters named in the NOA public. I may be in the dark on the background stuff, but what made them decide to go public with the names?

Mimi's Babies
05-24-2017, 12:45 PM
I'm more than a little surprised that OM has agreed to make the boosters named in the NOA public. I may be in the dark on the background stuff, but what made them decide to go public with the names?

They agreed through the MS Ethics Complaint filed by Rosebowl -- that was FILED in February, 2017.... There is a picture of the letter earlier this week... or late last week on this forum....

This is the link where this was discussed: http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?55536-Ethics-commision-meets-tomorrow/page2&highlight=Chip

yjnkdawg
05-24-2017, 01:28 PM

Under the MS Public Records Act, on any redacted names or items, I believe that would only be if what was redacted did not pertain to the requested documents.

lamont

Legally- they don't have a choice. That's the only reason why they are cooperating

Reason2succeed

They didn't agree. They were forced by law and Rosebowl's diligence. Mississippi is a small state and everyone knows what everyone else is doing especially with the profile of individuals who will be on the list. Is it a level 1 or 2 violation of the booster or university disregards the disassociation?

yjnkdawg
05-24-2017, 01:31 PM
They agreed through the MS Ethics Complaint filed by Rosebowl -- that was FILED in February, 2017.... There is a picture of the letter earlier this week... or late last week on this forum....

This is the link where this was discussed: http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?55536-Ethics-commision-meets-tomorrow/page2&highlight=Chip

OM had no choice, or bargaining power as they were on record as being in violation of the MS Public Records Act.

yjnkdawg
05-24-2017, 01:41 PM
Legally- they don't have a choice. That's the only reason why they are cooperating

As long as OM wasn't challenged, they could call their own shots on their preferred method of responding to a public records' request. When they don't comply with the provisions under the MS Public Records Act and are challenged on it, then they are just like all other state agencies and are required to comply with the law.

yjnkdawg
05-24-2017, 01:46 PM
I may post something later on,about this whole thing, as OM was actually in violation after the 7 business days expired on the first NOA request.

Political Hack
05-24-2017, 03:06 PM

I was a message board moderator way before then. Jokes on you!

:cool:

Mimi's Babies
05-24-2017, 05:28 PM
I may post something later on,about this whole thing, as OM was actually in violation after the 7 business days expired on the first NOA request.

Just curious -- then why did the Ethics commission allow this mess to just "SIT" for 3 months?

msbulldog
05-24-2017, 06:52 PM
Disassociated boosters are considered general public. They can't give money to the program and are robbed of their standard 1st amendment rights, assuming they agree to play along and fall on the sword.

If they want to be an ass about it, they could sue the ever living hell out of the university and the NCAA, both of which have zero standing to tell an individual who they can or cannot talk with.

I bet that lawsuit would require a boatload of money!

yjnkdawg
05-24-2017, 08:31 PM
Just curious -- then why did the Ethics commission allow this mess to just "SIT" for 3 months?

Because there had not been a complaint filed with the Ethics Commission against OM's actions in not releasing the documents. They get involved if a complaint by the party who has requested documents files a complaint with their office. You have to give OM credit for one thing. As long as you aren't challenged, and you make the rules as you go then you can do a lot of bluffing.

Spiderman
05-24-2017, 08:43 PM

For the 50,000th time.... DISASSOCIATION DOESN'T MEAN SHIT!!!!!!!!!

It only means the school can't invite you to anything or accept your money. But your wife, kids, parents, or siblings can (wink wink) give all your money to the school you want for you.

yjnkdawg
05-24-2017, 08:55 PM
For the 50,000th time.... DISASSOCIATION DOESN'T MEAN SHIT!!!!!!!!!

It only means the school can't invite you to anything or accept your money. But your wife, kids, parents, or siblings can (wink wink) give all your money to the school you want for you.

Disassociated sounds like a major penalty, but like you said it really amounts to not much. Depends on how much participation a disassociated booster wants and if they do then how shrewd or devious they want to be in accomplishing this.