PDA

View Full Version : The Self Debate

diamonddawg17
05-19-2017, 11:43 PM
I have a problem with Canny's post game interview. He said Self would only be used with the lead, in short stints, and only 1 time a weekend because that's how they have used him all year. That's a lie! Self has been used 2 times a weekend multiple times this year and 3 times against Alabama with 2 of those outings being in the same day. He had 6 appearances in a week at one point. Coach sounded like he got mad when he was questioned about it after the game. I don't care if he got mad. Not saying Self would have been successful but he at least gives us our best chance to win. Canny was blowing smoke in that interview.

Steakonastick
05-19-2017, 11:51 PM
That's funny because I have heard all year that plumlee and self's arms bounce back better then anybody on our team.

CadaverDawg
05-19-2017, 11:52 PM
Yea, that's garbage Canny

msstate7
05-19-2017, 11:52 PM
Self should be used like the Indians use Andrew miller. Miller is used when he's needed whether it's the 8th, 9th, or the 4th

msstate7
05-19-2017, 11:53 PM
I think that's translated... I messed up, but won't admit it

MarketingBully
05-20-2017, 03:09 AM
Sigh, I hate stubborn idiocy in a coach. I also bet Poole is back in the lineup for Saturday's game. Cann has done a pretty good job this year but his coaching the last couple of weeks has not been great. My prediction is we end with a fizzle and a whimper.

MarketingBully
05-20-2017, 03:17 AM
It's also interesting to note since he didn't put Self in our team gave up as well at the plate. It was a new game when it was 4-4 and we were still competing but you could see the air go out of the team when we kept trotting out incompetent pitcher after incompetent pitcher and LSU went back up 8-4 and did practically nothing to get there. Just pure idiocy by the coaching staff and what Cann showed tonight is he is capable of making really dumb decisions and not taking blame for them. Hope it's not a sign of things to come.

Todd4State
05-20-2017, 09:41 AM
It's also interesting to note since he didn't put Self in our team gave up as well at the plate. It was a new game when it was 4-4 and we were still competing but you could see the air go out of the team when we kept trotting out incompetent pitcher after incompetent pitcher and LSU went back up 8-4 and did practically nothing to get there. Just pure idiocy by the coaching staff and what Cann showed tonight is he is capable of making really dumb decisions and not taking blame for them. Hope it's not a sign of things to come.

The entire team knows who can throw strikes and who can't. It's hard to fight and play for a pitcher who isn't doing his job on the mound.

Todd4State
05-20-2017, 09:48 AM
Self should be used like the Indians use Andrew miller. Miller is used when he's needed whether it's the 8th, 9th, or the 4th

Our best chance to win right now is to throw Self 2-3 in game one after Pilkington, Price go 2-3 in game two, and then bring Self back in game three. I would start Parker Ford instead of Gordon going forward. Use Plumlee after McQuary. Use Billinglsey for an inning or two in clean innings.

Dawgface
05-20-2017, 10:16 AM
Sigh, I hate stubborn idiocy in a coach. .

You must hate most coaches.

BB30
05-20-2017, 12:13 PM
Our best chance to win right now is to throw Self 2-3 in game one after Pilkington, Price go 2-3 in game two, and then bring Self back in game three. I would start Parker Ford instead of Gordon going forward. Use Plumlee after McQuary. Use Billinglsey for an inning or two in clean innings.

Not that simple. I agree self should throw first sign that the game is on the line, better to have one win in the bag. But, if you throw him 3 innings on Friday and he throws 30-40 pitches he won't be the same come Sunday if this is repeated. You are asking for injury a year or two down the road if not sooner. It is one thing to throw 60-70 or 100 pitches in one outing but over time throwing 30-40 twice in 3 days is awful on the arm. Once you get past 20-30 pitches you have to have rest. You can get away with it a couple of times a season but if you do it over an extended period of time it will wear you down and you will get hurt. This wasn't going to be our year to begin with, why risk injury with a young arm that will only get better with time.

msstate7
05-20-2017, 12:28 PM
Anyone have self's complete HS stats? I see his freshman year at magnolia heights, he pitched 39.1 ip. He's thrown the exact amount this year. Have to think he threw a good a good bit more than that his senior year of HS

Dawg61
05-20-2017, 01:26 PM
Nobody was more stubborn than Cohen. Perhaps Cann is trolling y'all a little right now just like Cohen would do with 90+ consecutive lineup changes and bunting in the 1st inning with no outs. Y'all realize he was ****ing with y'all by now right?

Todd4State
05-20-2017, 01:30 PM
Not that simple. I agree self should throw first sign that the game is on the line, better to have one win in the bag. But, if you throw him 3 innings on Friday and he throws 30-40 pitches he won't be the same come Sunday if this is repeated. You are asking for injury a year or two down the road if not sooner. It is one thing to throw 60-70 or 100 pitches in one outing but over time throwing 30-40 twice in 3 days is awful on the arm. Once you get past 20-30 pitches you have to have rest. You can get away with it a couple of times a season but if you do it over an extended period of time it will wear you down and you will get hurt. This wasn't going to be our year to begin with, why risk injury with a young arm that will only get better with time.

You're right that it's not that simple because it doesn't always work the way you draw it up but when a championship is on the line is the time to extend them. Cann has done the opposite. He has held out Price and Self more as the games have gotten more important.

Todd4State
05-20-2017, 01:31 PM
Nobody was more stubborn than Cohen. Perhaps Cann is trolling y'all a little right now just like Cohen would do with 90+ consecutive lineup changes and bunting in the 1st inning with no outs. Y'all realize he was ****ing with y'all by now right?

You know what else Cohen would have done? Thrown Self and Price. Ask Lindgren and Holder.

Todd4State
05-20-2017, 01:33 PM
Anyone have self's complete HS stats? I see his freshman year at magnolia heights, he pitched 39.1 ip. He's thrown the exact amount this year. Have to think he threw a good a good bit more than that his senior year of HS

Good luck on finding his travel ball innings pitched. The best place to look for his high school stats is his MSU bio.

BB30
05-20-2017, 01:58 PM
You're right that it's not that simple because it doesn't always work the way you draw it up but when a championship is on the line is the time to extend them. Cann has done the opposite. He has held out Price and Self more as the games have gotten more important.

Completely agree with you there he definitely screwed that up. The main issue is we only have two guys we can rely on out of the pen. However you chalk it up it's not a recipe for a dominant staff. I would rather see us cut our losses now, see if we can make a super and get ready for next year with a healthy staff.

But yes not going to self or price was idiotic.

Dawgfan6
05-20-2017, 02:00 PM

Riley self junior and senior years combined in high school:
0.92 ERA
137.333 innings
18BB
18ER
75 hits
0.6772 WHIP

Homedawg
05-20-2017, 02:47 PM

You want to start Parker ford? I mean hell Todd really.

Todd4State
05-20-2017, 02:59 PM
You want to start Parker ford? I mean hell Todd really.

He's getting people out and throwing more strikes than most of our other guys. I think he will be in the mix to start next year. Let's give him a chance and see if he can give us 3-5 innings.

Dawg61
05-20-2017, 03:17 PM
You know what else Cohen would have done? Thrown Self and Price. Ask Lindgren and Holder.

Maybe you should cry about it some more. Might get Cann to do a press conference to issue you a public apology Mr. Todd4State

The Federalist Engineer
05-20-2017, 04:09 PM
I have a problem with Canny's post game interview. He said Self would only be used with the lead, in short stints, and only 1 time a weekend because that's how they have used him all year. That's a lie! Self has been used 2 times a weekend multiple times this year and 3 times against Alabama with 2 of those outings being in the same day. He had 6 appearances in a week at one point. Coach sounded like he got mad when he was questioned about it after the game. I don't care if he got mad. Not saying Self would have been successful but he at least gives us our best chance to win. Canny was blowing smoke in that interview.

I want Self to be the Saturday Starter in 2018 and the Friday Night guy in 2019...just because the other guys are not good is no reason to overuse him in 2017. Call me shell-shocked by the TJ outbreak, but we have to protect our future.

Self was used multiple times against Bama, but he was not sharp the third time out.

Todd4State
05-20-2017, 04:27 PM
Maybe you should cry about it some more. Might get Cann to do a press conference to issue you a public apology Mr. Todd4State

Quit being a *****.

Dawg61
05-20-2017, 04:48 PM
Quit being a *****.

Don't say I have "poor ol Miss State attitude" cause I am not having a full melt about Self not getting put in the game and I'll quit being a *****