05-15-2017, 07:57 AM
Unfortunately witnessed that one. #blessed

msstate7
05-15-2017, 08:20 AM
20 years ago (1997) is when we won our last baseball series at Athens

MarketingBully
05-15-2017, 08:25 AM
20 years ago (1997) is when we won our last baseball series at Athens

There was absolutely positively no reason to lose that series. That kind of series loss could be a season crusher.

MarketingBully
05-15-2017, 08:26 AM
Worst thing that could have happened to us was win the first game 9-3.

Ari Gold
05-15-2017, 08:32 AM
Holy shit.. yeah it was a bad weekend. But this UGA team did roll into Lexington and take 2/3 against the Cats.
Think about this ...Costal Carolina are the defending national champs. Coastal ****ing Carolina.

Football and Basketball W/L aren't even on the same planet as Baseball.

MarketingBully
05-15-2017, 08:34 AM
Holy shit.. yeah it was a bad weekend. But this UGA team did roll into Lexington and take 2/3 against the Cats.
Think about this ...Costal Carolina are the defending national champs. Coastal ****ing Carolina.

Think about this. UGA only won one series at home and that was us.

MarketingBully
05-15-2017, 08:41 AM

Coastal Carolina also had 50+ wins last year. A team that would have been similar to us and had little pitching depth that made a big run last year was Arizona. They were a 2 seed had maybe one or two great pitchers and not much depth behind them and had to use that third baseman as one of their aces. We could still make a run but our pitchers absolutely have to throw strikes. McQuery will be the key to our season and how far we can go.

BrunswickDawg
05-15-2017, 08:47 AM
Unfortunately witnessed that one. #blessed

Yeah, me too. Still can't decide which game in Athens was worse -'97 bed-shitting, '06 Croom no FG call/Henig Pick, or the '11 Farve Sighting. All my trips to Athens for MSU football have sucked. Maybe I should skip this year?

SaintDawg
05-15-2017, 08:58 AM
There was absolutely positively no reason to lose that series. That kind of series loss could be a season crusher.
This was bed-shitting at its finest.

smootness
05-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Still say we need to try Self in the rotation. McQuary is too volatile to be a #2 in postseason play. Self has been our best pitcher this year. Having him and Pilkington gives us a shot at a run.

I seen it dawg
05-15-2017, 09:59 AM
And until we stretch him out he won't start. You keep asking for it and it keeps not happening. And quite frankly, and this may get deep on you, he needs another pitch if he is gonna get third time thru an sec lineup. That Cutter/slider is filthy one time thru and he has enough talent to get thru the 2nd time maybe but the third time thru an sec lineup....recipe for disaster without another pitch.

HE SHOULDNT START. Maybe he works in the summer if starting next year is in the plan. Honestly I'd like to see him add a couple of mph and a straight change and make him the closer. I think his career is in the pen at the next level. He has wipeout stuff with a few more mph. He's really good now but has room.

Todd4State
05-15-2017, 10:20 AM
And until we stretch him out he won't start. You keep asking for it and it keeps not happening. And quite frankly, and this may get deep on you, he needs another pitch if he is gonna get third time thru an sec lineup. That Cutter/slider is filthy one time thru and he has enough talent to get thru the 2nd time maybe but the third time thru an sec lineup....recipe for disaster without another pitch.

HE SHOULDNT START. Maybe he works in the summer if starting next year is in the plan. Honestly I'd like to see him add a couple of mph and a straight change and make him the closer. I think his career is in the pen at the next level. He has wipeout stuff with a few more mph. He's really good now but has room.

He has also had some arm issues this year. I don't want to take a chance doing something that might cause a problem.

ScoobaDawg
05-15-2017, 10:22 AM
Think about this. UGA only won one series at home and that was us.

That's baseball...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/HyfWlGO6stE/hqdefault.jpg

smootness
05-15-2017, 10:22 AM

And there have been plenty of good college starters who became bullpen guys at the next level.

I'm not trying to say that he would make for an incredible starting pitcher right now or that his numbers would all stay the same in that role. But better than all our other current options? Yes, I think so. And I want us to have the best shot at making a run in postseason play.

There have been plenty of really good college starting pitchers with two pitches.

Thanks for the condescension, though.

ScoobaDawg
05-15-2017, 10:29 AM
I guess I'm more inclined to trust Gary Henderson and his reasons why we aren't stretching Self out...
I know it's easy to sit here and think that would work.. But with the limited options we have this year, you know if that was an option it was already thought of...

Ari Gold
05-15-2017, 10:34 AM
Coastal Carolina also had 50+ wins last year. A team that would have been similar to us and had little pitching depth that made a big run last year was Arizona. They were a 2 seed had maybe one or two great pitchers and not much depth behind them and had to use that third baseman as one of their aces. We could still make a run but our pitchers absolutely have to throw strikes. McQuery will be the key to our season and how far we can go.

Out of the 8 teams that reached Omaha last year, everyone outside of Costal fans prob had them 2 and que.
I'm just saying unlike football and Basketball where prob 80% of the time the better team wins a series. It's not the same in baseball.
I don't give a **** if they hadn't won a home game all year, the rolled into UK and took a series on the road from a possible National seed.. that weekend loss by Uk is much worse than this series lost by us to them.
Teams get hot baseball. At any time a starting pitcher has a chance to have that day where he takes the mound and shoves it up the other teams ass.
It sucks we lost the series no doubt, but shit we had to take 2/3 this weekend against LSU regardless if we swept UGA or not.

Ari Gold
05-15-2017, 10:36 AM
I guess I'm more inclined to trust Gary Henderson and his reasons why we aren't stretching Self out...
I know it's easy to sit here and think that would work.. But with the limited options we have this year, you know if that was an option it was already thought of...

How many games would we have lost if we had done this because we couldn't use him in the role he is in now?
I bet more than we would have won with him starting.

Ari Gold
05-15-2017, 10:43 AM
And there have been plenty of good college starters who became bullpen guys at the next level.

I'm not trying to say that he would make for an incredible starting pitcher right now or that his numbers would all stay the same in that role. But better than all our other current options? Yes, I think so. And I want us to have the best shot at making a run in postseason play.

There have been plenty of really good college starting pitchers with two pitches.

We will and probably should start Self in one certain situation.
If it's the final game of a regional or super winner take all. If he hasn't pitched any the day before or his pitch count is down.
That's it. And it may not even happen then.
He is right where he can help us the most. Close games or keep leads or keep us close in 2 or all the games in a 3 day series. Rather than starting, hopefully giving us 5 innings and then turning it over to who? Jolly, plumlee, Billingsly, etc....
much rather have his backend 3-5 innings than those first 3-5 innings.
With the lack of our guys pounding the zone and showing balls at the beginning of games what the **** do you think they will do at the backend of games. .?

ScoobaDawg
05-15-2017, 10:44 AM
How many games would we have lost if we had done this because we couldn't use him in the role he is in now?
I bet more than we would have won with him starting.
Exactly. especially if he blew out his arm and we lost him for the season...

smootness
05-15-2017, 10:51 AM
We will and probably should start Self in one certain situation.
If it's the final game of a regional or super winner take all. If he hasn't pitched any the day before or his pitch count is down.
That's it. And it may not even happen then.
He is right where he can help us the most. Close games or keep leads or keep us close in 2 or all the games in a 3 day series. Rather than starting, hopefully giving us 5 innings and then turning it over to who? Jolly, plumlee, Billingsly, etc....
much rather have his backend 3-5 innings than those first 3-5 innings.
With the lack of our guys pounding the zone and showing balls at the beginning of games what the **** do you think they will do at the backend of games. .?

I know we're in a tough spot, I'm not saying it's an easy fix. I would just rather have Self go as long as he can to maximize the number of innings we get out of him, and it would give us a good shot to jump out to a lead.

I trust that we'll go to Self more quickly in the postseason than we have so far, and that may work just as well, to have him be a Girodo type out of the bullpen. I just know that as of now, Plumlee, McQuary, and Gordon have all pitched more innings than Self this year and far more than Price.

I want us to use Self and Price a lot more in the postseason, regardless of whether it's in a starting role or not. I just want us to maximize their innings, and I think starting Self is a good way to do it.

I seen it dawg
05-15-2017, 11:12 AM

Condescension earned. Because you just don't seem to ****ing get it.

smootness
05-15-2017, 11:29 AM
Condescension earned. Because you just don't seem to ****ing get it.

Chill out, man. I'm just saying it's something I'd like to see. I'm not criticizing anyone or saying we're dumb for not doing it. You're free to disagree, it's not that serious.

I seen it dawg
05-15-2017, 11:37 AM
I'm not mad or taking any of this serious. You mistake me

Lance Harbor
05-15-2017, 11:44 AM
Hahaha...that's crazy talk. Too much fun to be had. Plus I've already started talking sh!t to my UGA friends, who somehow think they are going to be crazy good this year (actually they think this every years so...).