PDA

View Full Version : Should Ron Polk's name be on the new stadium?

Doc
05-12-2017, 03:55 PM
Since the grand ole lady is about to come down, somebody convince me his name should be there. Has there been any effort to reconcile? Discuss.

ScoobaDawg
05-12-2017, 03:58 PM
Doesn't really matter what anyone's opinion is. It's staying. Short of John wanting to really piss off a lot of people.

Reason2succeed
05-12-2017, 04:00 PM
Hail no!!!

Todd4State
05-12-2017, 04:01 PM
Yes Polk's name should stay on the stadium. And from what I have heard MSU has attempted to reconcile. The ball is in Polk's court on that. Not holding my breath on that changing.

Todd4State
05-12-2017, 04:03 PM
If anything- Larry Templeton's name needs to be removed from whatever building his name is on in my opinion.

It was his poor decision to bring Polk back in the first place and try to ruin MSU baseball. If that doesn't happen- the shitshow of 2007-2009 doesn't happen.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-12-2017, 04:03 PM
Why would you put someone's name on a Stadium that never won a National Championship?

Todd4State
05-12-2017, 04:06 PM
Why would you put someone's name on a Stadium that never won a National Championship?

He did do a lot of good things for MSU baseball. Most of them before 1998. My question is why you would bring back someone that has their name on the stadium that obviously devoted a lot of his time to things other than the baseball program?

confucius say
05-12-2017, 04:12 PM
Is this serious? Yes his name should be on the stadium. He is largely responsible for the fact that the posters on here love and care about MSU baseball.

PassInterference
05-12-2017, 04:17 PM
No. Why is this a question? It's a different stadium. Complete rebuild.

Bully13
05-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Looks like people forgot what he did upon Cohen's hire. It was inexcusable and he has yet to apologize.

He needs to grow a pair of balls, man up and do so publicly.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-12-2017, 04:25 PM
If Cannizzaro wins the National Championship this year put his name on it...

confucius say
05-12-2017, 04:26 PM
Maybe we should just put Rosebowl on it and be done.

lamont
05-12-2017, 04:29 PM
**** No

Leeshouldveflanked
05-12-2017, 04:34 PM
Maybe we should just put Rosebowl on it and be done.

A statue of Rosebowl would be an interesting conversation piece.....we could put it at the NE corner of DW where the visiting teams get off the bus...

confucius say
05-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Looks like people forgot what he did upon Cohen's hire. It was inexcusable and he has yet to apologize.

Whatever he did doesn't take away from the fact that he is the reason we have the top 10 attendance records in baseball, can recruit as well as anybody in the country, our head job is a top 5-10 job, and baseball is the only sport where it is universally accepted that we can compete nationally every year. I don't particularly like the guy for the way he left, but he is the reason baseball is what it is here instead of being like football or basketball.

Bully13
05-12-2017, 05:16 PM
Whatever he did doesn't take away from the fact that he is the reason we have the top 10 attendance records in baseball, can recruit as well as anybody in the country, our head job is a top 5-10 job, and baseball is the only sport where it is universally accepted that we can compete nationally every year. I don't particularly like the guy for the way he left, but he is the reason baseball is what it is here instead of being like football or basketball.

There are acts against our university that should be unacceptable no matter who you are. No individual eclipses the program overall.

Coursesuper
05-12-2017, 05:21 PM
Absolutely it should, If there were no Polk there is no baseball tradition at MSU, say what you will but that is a fact.

Mimi's Babies
05-12-2017, 05:22 PM
HELL NO...

Political Hack
05-12-2017, 05:34 PM
If Cannizzaro wins the National Championship this year put his name on it...

The Cann at Dudy Noble Field.

Fits...

basedog
05-12-2017, 05:37 PM

We were good before Ron Polk. Saying baseball is good because of RP is wrong.

I remember Paul Gregory and the LFL was because of his program.

Ron Polk played a big part, but he also caused problems that should not happened. Thank the Ninja!

dawgoneyall
05-12-2017, 05:43 PM
Yes Polk's name should stay on the stadium. And from what I have heard MSU has attempted to reconcile. The ball is in Polk's court on that. Not holding my breath on that changing.

I am completely tired of Polk's childish behavior.
Since about 92-93 for him it has been more about himself than MSU....and that is a long time. Time to move completely on.

Maroon Wizardry
05-12-2017, 05:44 PM
i'm no old timer but LFL from my understanding was around before he was there and we had moderate success as well. That being said i'm indifferent about it.

Dawgface
05-12-2017, 05:45 PM

If the ball is in his court and he is not willing to reconcile, no way I would put his name on the stadium.

confucius say
05-12-2017, 05:52 PM
There are acts against our university that should be unacceptable no matter who you are. No individual eclipses the program overall.

What acts?

confucius say
05-12-2017, 05:54 PM
We were good before Ron Polk. Saying baseball is good because of RP is wrong.

I remember Paul Gregory and the LFL was because of his program.

Ron Polk played a big part, but he also caused problems that should not happened. Thank the Ninja!

Define "good." I think all will agree pilk took it to another level. He made it what it is.

shannondawg
05-12-2017, 05:54 PM
Mistake then. Mistake now.

gravedigger
05-12-2017, 06:08 PM
Since the grand ole lady is about to come down, somebody convince me his name should be there. Has there been any effort to reconcile? Discuss.

Anyone have an idea who is responsible for having a baseball program that warranted the stadium in the first place? I forget.

Hell Polks name should be on every stadium not named Alex Box.

basedog
05-12-2017, 06:11 PM
Define "good." I think all will agree pilk took it to another level. He made it what it is.

CWS appearance, Back to back Sec championships, crowds unheard of, winning records year after year. We were considered a baseball power program.

The beginning of LFL, I remember playing OM who had really good teams late 60's and early 70's and we had over 9,000 attending and a huge fight broke out in LFL.

Hey, I'm not gonna go all out stating my fact about us beginning good way before RP, but I remember and we have always been near the top in the Sec long before RP.

We were one of the first if not the first, to install lights, we were ahead of many programs. Btw, someone donated 100K for the lights, i want to say spring of 71.

Just saying confuius

BulldogtheMS
05-12-2017, 06:19 PM
We've had this discussion before and until he gets his ass off his shoulders and gets back into good standing it shouldn't be displayed.

Drugdog
05-12-2017, 06:21 PM
Hell No. how do you honor somebody who is Still actively trying to destroy your program. He has Coached AGAINST us with 3 different teams. Are you kidding me. He is the enemy now. He ruined the relationship. Not MSU. ABSOLUTELY NO.

Mobile Bay
05-12-2017, 06:22 PM
I am not up to speed, what did Ron Polk do to make people so mad?

confucius say
05-12-2017, 06:25 PM
CWS appearance, Back to back Sec championships, crowds unheard of, winning records year after year. We were considered a baseball power program.

The beginning of LFL, I remember playing OM who had really good teams late 60's and early 70's and we had over 9,000 attending and a huge fight broke out in LFL.

Hey, I'm not gonna go all out stating my fact about us beginning good way before RP, but I remember and we have always been near the top in the Sec long before RP.

We were one of the first if not the first, to install lights, we were ahead of many programs. Btw, someone donated 100K for the lights, i want to say spring of 71.

Just saying confuius

I honestly didn't know. Was a serious question. Wasn't born until 83 and I'm only aware of one cws appearance pre polk- 1971.

Todd4State
05-12-2017, 06:28 PM
Yes, it is very true that MSU baseball was successful LONG before Ron Polk. There's a reason why Dudy Noble has HIS name on the field as well. He was a good coach. After him RP Patty came in and won the SEC a couple of times, and then Gregory was after him and won the SEC four times and took us to Omaha for the first time ever. Bragan was really our only unsuccessful coach- but he was only here a year and he left for MLB. Who knows if he would have been successful or not? Polk then came in and did his thing and took us from a local/regional baseball power- back in those days the college baseball powers were mainly on the West Coast and in Texas- to a National type of program. McMahon continued to have success but he wasn't here for very long.

If you look at it historically, Polk II was probably our worst baseball coach hire if you give Bragan a pass. He only had two winning SEC seasons after he returned and we only hosted a regional one time. That gets glossed over because he did take us to Omaha in 2007 and won the SEC Tournament in 2005. And had Clemson not upset the one seed in their regional we would not have hosted the SR in 2007. He also only won the Governor's Cup twice upon return- and treated it like an exhibition game which to me was disrespectful to the game of baseball and maybe even more importantly our fans that showed up and gave their time and money to watch one of our outfielders pitch against Ole Miss's midweek/third starter while we lost that game FIVE years in a row. I won't even get into how he left- we all know how that went down and how unacceptable that was. Cohen came in and basically rebuilt us into what we were and took us even further than Polk did. He deserves a lot of credit for getting our recruiting back on a National level, dealing with all of the crap he did, giving us more of a presence in MLB with former players and also now former coaches throughout the SEC. He should also get a lot of credit once the new stadium is built as well- but that's to come. Now Cannizaro has taken the baton and based on what I have seen so far this is the most excited I have been about MSU baseball since 2013.

Now all of that said- Polk should still have his name on the stadium. As I said- he took us from local power to national power. And with it, the SEC. I would honestly say that he is one of the most influential if not the most influential baseball person in the South and Mississippi. That was good and bad for us. It's good that we get to claim him as one of us. It was bad because it also meant that he didn't always focus on MSU baseball like he should. His book and his coaching clinics and camps in the 70's and 80's helped Mississippi High School baseball coaches immensely- and because those programs got better it meant that they produced better high school baseball players. A lot of those baseball players dreamed of playing at MSU- and some have lived that out and have had major impacts for us- Jake Mangum, Konnor Pilkington, Hunter Renfroe, Jonathan Holder, Jacob Lindgren, Ed Easley, Mitch Moreland, Jeffrey Rea and etc. Compare that to the 1985 group and where the best players on that team were from- Clark (NOLA), Palmeiro (Miami), Brantley (Birmingham), and Thigpen (Florida). That's what was brilliant about Polk's overall vision- he knew that by making our program a National product and developing the local high schools it would help us be a powerhouse for years to come. Without Polk- Delta State, USM, and as much as they aren't going to like it- Ole Miss baseball programs aren't as strong as they are today. Because since we started to care and show them how to do it- they started to care too. The Mayor's Trophy was also Polk's idea as well- which has become the biggest and best neutral site college baseball game in the country and it was also the first. It even outdrew the Atlanta Braves exhibition game a few years ago.

And beyond Mississippi the SEC isn't what it is without Polk and Bertman. The talent in the SEC wouldn't be what it is without them and without Polk specifically the stadiums in the SEC wouldn't be what they are either.

As far as the bad stuff at the end- I blame LT much more for that. It was a lazy hire and we basically brought in a guy that was old, had a lot of cronies and his name on the stadium and therefore impossible to fire, and had a known history of not focusing on winning a NC that had showed no signs of ending. Polk should have never, ever been allowed to come back. It was obvious at least to me from the beginning that all he was going to do was tarnish his reputation and it wasn't going to end well. That's exactly what happened. That's not on Polk for wanting to come back. That's on LT for being incompetent and allowing him to come back. If LT doesn't bring him back- his reputation is intact.

Bully13
05-12-2017, 06:28 PM
What acts?

Dude.

Drugdog
05-12-2017, 06:30 PM
Polk committed modern day treason against MSU. He turned on MSU. The program is bigger than 1 short man. You cannot honor a traitor. End of discussion. Maybe someone could post pictures of him in other uniforms coaching AGAINST US!!!!

Todd, your wrong on this one.

fader2103
05-12-2017, 06:32 PM
Yes. Polk is a legend!

Coursesuper
05-12-2017, 06:33 PM

Baseball in the SEC was an afterthought before Ron Polk.

Drugdog
05-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Yes. Polk is a legend!

So is Bigfoot and Nessie. And they didn't coach against us or try to bring the program down!

Todd4State
05-12-2017, 06:36 PM

Just saying confuius

This is all true. Dutch McCool donated the lights you are talking about.

I'm not sure when exactly the LFL started but my guess is whenever we started playing at the current location. Unless it started at the Dorman Hall location. It was definitely there when my parents were there- which was when Gregory was the coach. According to my parents it was basically just a bunch of people in pick-up trucks or students hanging out behind the OF fence. I'm not sure when it morphed into rigs. Also per my parents we drew pretty well for baseball then- even though at that particular time we weren't at the top of the SEC. Which shows that our fanbase was already pretty good.

It was much more difficult to get to Omaha in Gregory's days as well. A lot fewer teams went to the regionals or I think they used to call them playoffs. You pretty much had to win the SEC to go to the regionals.

Bully13
05-12-2017, 06:36 PM
Polk committed modern day treason against MSU. He turned on MSU. The program is bigger than 1 short man. You cannot honor a traitor. End of discussion. Maybe someone could post pictures of him in other uniforms coaching AGAINST US!!!!

Yep. But what irked me more is what he said and the trashing of the player and recruitment records . He did his best to 17 Cohen before the door hit his ass on the way out. He didn't even stop after that. Some our early Cohen woes are directly attributable to that drama queen.

Todd4State
05-12-2017, 06:37 PM

Todd, your wrong on this one.

Dudy-Noble coached at Ole Miss one year. Should we take his name off too?

Todd4State
05-12-2017, 06:40 PM
Yep. But what irked me more is what he said and the trashing of the player and recruitment records . He did his best to 17 Cohen before the door hit his ass on the way out. He didn't even stop after that. Some our early Cohen woes are directly attributable to that drama queen.

I thought the recruiting records thing was pretty funny because Cohen was light years ahead of Polk in recruiting at that point. I doubt Cohen would have used them much if at all anyway. In fact he probably saved Cohen some trouble by throwing those out and saving him the trouble.

You're right about the second part.

Drugdog
05-12-2017, 06:49 PM
Dudy-Noble coached at Ole Miss one year. Should we take his name off too?

Are you serious? Dudy didn't coach at State, then coach against us, come back, leave, coach against us again and then try to destroy the program.

Nice try. Where a coach is before he comes to your school is irrelevant.

Fact is- Polk wants our program to burn to the ground. Does not support it anymore. Wants nothing. It the worst for us. His actions have proved it.

Regardless of what he did in the past to help, HE THREW the handgrenades at MSU. This is his fault. All the goodwill is gone.

RiverCityDawg
05-12-2017, 07:04 PM

This. After we went to the CWS championship series he had the perfect opportunity to admit he was wrong and apologize for taking it too far. Cohen has always left the door open for reconciliation and has gone out of his way to give Polk credit and public adoration, yet the old stubborn bastard remains butt hurt over the fact that he didn't get to choose "his guy" to replace him. I would forgive him if he admitted he was wrong to not support Cohen and saying a bunch of stupid stuff on the way out, but until then, screw him.

Dawgcentral
05-12-2017, 07:10 PM
It's strange when people paint a guy up as a legend, he starts to believe it, then finds out he's just a dude who devoted his life to a job.
Polk was legendary. People called him "The Bear Bryant of SEC Baseball". Then LSU stepped up and started recruiting 6'4 ball players on a regimented weight program, and Polk never budged on his philosophy. It wasn't in his book.
He virtually refused to recruit outside of his office. Joe Lee Dunn was the same way.
Polk was married to college baseball, not MSU baseball. College Baseball, to this day, has too few scholarships. None of the public ranting Polk did made a dent in the NCAA decision.
His hissy fit over the hire of Cohen was embarrassing. Then he says "Go ahead and take my name off of the stadium". It would serve him right.
But let's just don't go there. It would simply bring ugly publicity to an issue with Polk that I'd rather see go away. If what some say is factual, and he's still actively trying to damage the success of MSU, I could change my mind. But besides coaching teams or playing a role that could directly impact our success, I'm willing to let him fade away.

basedog
05-12-2017, 07:25 PM
This is all true. Dutch McCool donated the lights you are talking about.

I'm not sure when exactly the LFL started but my guess is whenever we started playing at the current location. Unless it started at the Dorman Hall location. It was definitely there when my parents were there- which was when Gregory was the coach. According to my parents it was basically just a bunch of people in pick-up trucks or students hanging out behind the OF fence. I'm not sure when it morphed into rigs. Also per my parents we drew pretty well for baseball then- even though at that particular time we weren't at the top of the SEC. Which shows that our fanbase was already pretty good.

It was much more difficult to get to Omaha in Gregory's days as well. A lot fewer teams went to the regionals or I think they used to call them playoffs. You pretty much had to win the SEC to go to the regionals.

LFL was formed in either 69 or 70, yes where the stadium is now. Basically a 55 gallon drum maybe 2 was placed outside the left field fence. Hey believe me it would be overflowed with beer and wine bottles/cans. It was a much rowdier nastier crowd if you can imagine that. Anything went back in the day such as throwing firecrackers at cf OM player Norris Weese who was also a good QB.
Yes on getting to CWS, the 1970 and 71 teams were as good as any team we have ever had. Crazy judo transfer rules may have cost us a chance to have a National Championship one spring, several were ruled ineligible to play.

Also Paul Gregory had to teach while coaching as did his assistant Tom D'Armi. They also had a patent on a pre game batting cage which was rolled out to home plate on wheels, they sold a bunch!

You guys should have seen Phil Still, 3rd base play, best 3rd baseman overall in our history. Hey Pete Young was great
also, but he was no Phil Still. Lol!

Mutt the Hoople
05-12-2017, 07:27 PM
Heck NO! When he had his bitch fit after Cohen was hired, my dear, sainted, now-in-heaven, gray-haired mother said that Ron Polk was throwing a temper tantrum like a 5 year old....this from some one who never said anything bad about anybody or any college (except LSU, she couldn't stand LSU).

Mimi's Babies
05-12-2017, 07:33 PM
Heck NO! When he had his bitch fit after Cohen was hired, my dear, sainted, now-in-heaven, gray-haired mother said that Ron Polk was throwing a temper tantrum like a 5 year old....this from some one who never said anything bad about anybody or any college (except LSU, she couldn't stand LSU).

Your late dear Mother, must have seen more than that also..... as did I.... Polk had a bad habit of throwing those "FITS" awful for young children to watch. Glad he is gone and wish some more would go...... Have seen the SAME "fits" with someone else....

basedog
05-12-2017, 07:52 PM
It's strange when people paint a guy up as a legend, he starts to believe it, then finds out he's just a dude who devoted his life to a job.
Polk was legendary. People called him "The Bear Bryant of SEC Baseball". Then LSU stepped up and started recruiting 6'4 ball players on a regimented weight program, and Polk never budged on his philosophy. It wasn't in his book.
He virtually refused to recruit outside of his office. Joe Lee Dunn was the same way.
Polk was married to college baseball, not MSU baseball. College Baseball, to this day, has too few scholarships. None of the public ranting Polk did made a dent in the NCAA decision.
His hissy fit over the hire of Cohen was embarrassing. Then he says "Go ahead and take my name off of the stadium". It would serve him right.
But let's just don't go there. It would simply bring ugly publicity to an issue with Polk that I'd rather see go away. If what some say is factual, and he's still actively trying to damage the success of MSU, I could change my mind. But besides coaching teams or playing a role that could directly impact our success, I'm willing to let him fade away.

+1. I agree in what you posted! Btw, headed to Durango Monday.

Liverpooldawg
05-12-2017, 08:34 PM
Of course it should. No matter what came later and what you youngsters think now, Polk almost singlehandedly elevated college baseball to the minor sport status it has now. Before that, nobody cared AT ALL about college baseball except the boys who played it, their families, and a few drunks.

lamont
05-12-2017, 08:34 PM
i'm no old timer but LFL from my understanding was around before he was there and we had moderate success as well. That being said i'm indifferent about it.

State has 17 SEC baseball titles. Ron Polk coached only 4 of them

IMissJack
05-12-2017, 08:38 PM
I'm torn on this. As a kid and teen, I though he was a legend and I loved him. I really was disappointed when we brought him back, because I thought it could only end badly. That being said, my 81 year old father has reminded me consistently for 35 years that MSU was good at baseball before Polk ever got there.

LC Dawg
05-12-2017, 08:47 PM
This is something that seriously needs to be discussed by our athletic department because if we are going to disassociate ourselves with Polk now is the time to do it. We won't be removing his name from the stadium because it will be a new stadium. I think he's burnt the bridge bad enough to warrant not being on the new stadium. I think Cohen still thinks there is a chance for reconciliation but I think Polk is too stubborn.
I wonder also if there are financial considerations and that some older big donors have stated they want Polk's name on the new stadium.

Todd4State
05-12-2017, 09:20 PM
This is something that seriously needs to be discussed by our athletic department because if we are going to disassociate ourselves with Polk now is the time to do it. We won't be removing his name from the stadium because it will be a new stadium. I think he's burnt the bridge bad enough to warrant not being on the new stadium. I think Cohen still thinks there is a chance for reconciliation but I think Polk is too stubborn.
I wonder also if there are financial considerations and that some older big donors have stated they want Polk's name on the new stadium.

All I'll say about it is this- it will be interesting next Saturday to see if he shows up. I have no idea if he will or not. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised either way.

I know Cohen thinks highly of Polk- or at least he did. If he doesn't think highly anymore no one could blame him. Even if he doesn't, I'm sure a lot of his ex-teammates and a lot of influential MSU baseball alumni- like Rafael Palmeiro do think highly of him.

I think we need to be careful with this because I think it's something that could divide our fanbase in baseball- which is the last thing we need right now. The safest thing to do probably is to keep his name on the stadium. I know a lot of the old farts aren't happy that we're tearing the stadium down in the first place and keeping Polk's name on there would be a good peace offering. And I don't mind it since I don't really notice his name on the fence anyway when I'm watching a game to be honest.

Todd4State
05-12-2017, 09:21 PM
LFL was formed in either 69 or 70, yes where the stadium is now. Basically a 55 gallon drum maybe 2 was placed outside the left field fence. Hey believe me it would be overflowed with beer and wine bottles/cans. It was a much rowdier nastier crowd if you can imagine that. Anything went back in the day such as throwing firecrackers at cf OM player Norris Weese who was also a good QB.
Yes on getting to CWS, the 1970 and 71 teams were as good as any team we have ever had. Crazy judo transfer rules may have cost us a chance to have a National Championship one spring, several were ruled ineligible to play.

Also Paul Gregory had to teach while coaching as did his assistant Tom D'Armi. They also had a patent on a pre game batting cage which was rolled out to home plate on wheels, they sold a bunch!

You guys should have seen Phil Still, 3rd base play, best 3rd baseman overall in our history. Hey Pete Young was great
also, but he was no Phil Still. Lol!

I know Gregory taught Biology. I actually can imagine it being rowdier back then. The LFL people seem fairly tame nowadays. They'll heckle but I don't recall seeing very many fights or things like that recently.

Bothrops
05-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Polk's name should be on it. He elevated the program.

lamont
05-12-2017, 09:48 PM
Polk's name should be on it. He elevated the program.

So we gonna put Sherrill's name on the football stadium? He changed our football program

Todd4State
05-12-2017, 09:52 PM
So we gonna put Sherrill's name on the football stadium? He changed our football program

Honestly- I'd be fine with that. He will end up in the ring of honor or whatever we call it one day for sure.

Thick
05-12-2017, 09:53 PM
So is Bigfoot and Nessie. And they didn't coach against us or try to bring the program down!

That's funny as shit!

lamont
05-12-2017, 09:57 PM
We are tearing down Polk-Dement stadium at Dudy Noble Field.

A new stadium needs a new name- one without Polk's name on it. Paul Gregory has as many SEC Titles as Polk has and a higher conference winning percentage.

fader2103
05-12-2017, 10:08 PM

A new stadium needs a new name- one without Polk's name on it. Paul Gregory has as many SEC Titles as Polk has and a higher conference winning percentage.

Then name it Dement-Polk stadium.

basedog
05-12-2017, 10:53 PM
I know Gregory taught Biology. I actually can imagine it being rowdier back then. The LFL people seem fairly tame nowadays. They'll heckle but I don't recall seeing very many fights or things like that recently.

Actually I was talking about a brawl when a bunch of OM football players parked in LFL, all hell broke out.

I remember having afternoon games and Prof's would dismiss class early so we students could attend the games.

There were small wooden bleachers and IF u wanted to get a seat u better show up early. I can't recall every sitting in those bleachers, always sitting in the outfield drinking Falstaff and Ripple wine! LOL, Dudy Noble was alive back then.

confucius say
05-12-2017, 10:58 PM

So Bama should tear down bear's statute and take his name off the stadium?
Polk is not only responsible for what our program is today, he's responsible for what baseball is in the sec. Bertman was better, but bertman himself has said polk started the ball rolling.

Liverpooldawg
05-12-2017, 11:10 PM
Threads like this always remind me of an incident that occurred in Imperial Germany prior to WWI. Kaiser Wilhelm II ignored and turned his back on former Chancellor Otto von Bismark, who had founded the German Empire and it's power structure, in a very public way. It led the French Ambassador (France of all nations had the biggest reason to hate Bismark) to remark that whatever the Germans might say or do, they would never be a great people.

parabrave
05-13-2017, 12:00 AM
A statue of Rosebowl would be an interesting conversation piece.....we could put it at the NE corner of DW where the visiting teams get off the bus...

Have it standing facing NW with one arm pointing with the middle finger outstreched.

Bully13
05-13-2017, 12:47 AM
One poster earlier in the thread made a valid point in that leaving his name off makes old wounds resurface and also gives the CL a story they could all circle jerk over.

Personally, since it doesn't look like he's gonna apologize, I'd like to see his name dropped but I understand the BS involved if we do. Not to mention a disruption in the cigar ranks.

msbulldog
05-13-2017, 07:50 AM
Don't need the bad pub or the bad feelings leave it alone. In 20 years nobody will know the difference.

Joe Schmedlap
05-13-2017, 09:34 AM
I do not think Polk's name should be on the brand new stadium. I do think he should be honored prominently in that circular area near the right field corner that was shown on the stadium rendering. He did lot of great things for the program and I have fond memories of watching his teams compete. That man could chew on a referee like nobody's business. Nevertheless, he tainted his legacy with his childish antics when Cohen was hired. He burned bridges that thus far he himself has been unwilling to rebuild. This stadium will be brand new. The old one with his name will be gone. No need to plaster his name on the new stadium. That's just my opinion, but one probably shared by many others. We can and should honor him in other ways.

dawgman
05-13-2017, 09:45 AM

Just saying confuius
Donated $100,000 for the lights and the fight was 1972. I remember it well. Free admission to the outfield with no official head count. Best guess only

Drugdog
05-13-2017, 10:06 AM
Put his name on the urinals and shitters for obvious reasons.

War Machine Dawg
05-13-2017, 10:59 AM
My position is simple: Polk's name should not be on the stadium until he's dead. He trashed the program publicly in the media then actively used his influence in the game and with his former players to attempt to harm the program. He even had to be escorted on campus by security because he threatened to, and partially succeeded at, destroying records his successor would need. He made Cohen's job a hell of a lot harder those first few years. He no longer deserves public recognition as a program legend while he lives.

The only way I would soften my stance would be if Polk publicly apologizes. Then and only then should we have a discussion about putting his name on the stadium. Unless that happens, hell no is the only correct answer. And I wouldn't recommend anyone hold their breath hoping Polk will apologize or admit his actions were wrong. His behavior states loudly and clearly that he has no interest in mending fences.

Dawgface
05-13-2017, 11:30 AM
I do not think Polk's name should be on the brand new stadium. I do think he should be honored prominently in that circular area near the right field corner that was shown on the stadium rendering. He did lot of great things for the program and I have fond memories of watching his teams compete. That man could chew on a referee like nobody's business. Nevertheless, he tainted his legacy with his childish antics when Cohen was hired. He burned bridges that thus far he himself has been unwilling to rebuild. This stadium will be brand new. The old one with his name will be gone. No need to plaster his name on the new stadium. That's just my opinion, but one probably shared by many others. We can and should honor him in other ways.

+1

HSVDawg
05-13-2017, 12:32 PM
If anything- Larry Templeton's name needs to be removed from whatever building his name is on in my opinion.

It was his poor decision to bring Polk back in the first place and try to ruin MSU baseball. If that doesn't happen- the shitshow of 2007-2009 doesn't happen.

You mean 2008-2010? 2007 was a CWS year, and 2010 was even worse than 2009.

RiverCityDawg
05-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Threads like this always remind me of an incident that occurred in Imperial Germany prior to WWI. Kaiser Wilhelm II ignored and turned his back on former Chancellor Otto von Bismark, who had founded the German Empire and it's power structure, in a very public way. It led the French Ambassador (France of all nations had the biggest reason to hate Bismark) to remark that whatever the Germans might say or do, they would never be a great people.

Did von Bismark publicly bash German leadership without any provocation, work to sabotage his own country, and prove to all that he cared about himself more than the good of Germany going forward? If not, get out of here with that.

To me this is simple, we're building a new stadium. Give it a new name. There won't be any drama unless we keep the Dement name and only replace Polk. Heck, just call it Dudy Noble Stadium. Most people just think of "Dudy Noble" when it comes to where we play anyway. Brand it "The New Dude" for a while and be done with it. Unless someone is willing to write a massive check, of course.

dickiedawg
05-13-2017, 01:55 PM
My thoughts are that it doesn't matter. We will always refer to the ball yard as DNF or Dudy Noble. I'd love to see the new stadium be called CSpire Park at Dudy Noble Field or something similar. Get some $$$

Coldsleeve Jr.
05-13-2017, 02:03 PM
I say **** eem

Liverpooldawg
05-13-2017, 03:01 PM
Did von Bismark publicly bash German leadership without any provocation, work to sabotage his own country, and prove to all that he cared about himself more than the good of Germany going forward? If not, get out of here with that.

To me this is simple, we're building a new stadium. Give it a new name. There won't be any drama unless we keep the Dement name and only replace Polk. Heck, just call it Dudy Noble Stadium. Most people just think of "Dudy Noble" when it comes to where we play anyway. Brand it "The New Dude" for a while and be done with it. Unless someone is willing to write a massive check, of course.

Yes.

bulldogcountry1
05-13-2017, 06:29 PM

As bad as how he handled the situation, I can forgive him. What's inexcusable is that it's been nearly a dacade, and he still refuses to even try to be part of the program. He intentionally tried to damage the program when he left, and still managed to do so long after he was gone by being a child and expecting his supporters to choose sides. MSU has done more than enough to give him the opportunity to heal things.

He knows he could just show up to a game and wave, and it would all be over. He won't. Forget him.

lamont
05-13-2017, 07:48 PM
Here's the thing:

Polk did alot for State- but State did alot for Polk. Yet he has acted the last 10 years like STATE did him wrong and we are problem. **** that. Polk was given an SEC program that had won 12 SEC titles and been to a CWS just a few years before he got on campus. He didnt build Mississippi State baseball- he just advanced it. Ron Polk's biggest contribution is making baseball a money-making sport.

As with the NCAA basketball Tourney- in the 1970's baseball started adding conference tourney's and an expanded NCAA Tourney. Those didnt exist for our previous coaches to help us advance nationally. Most young people dont understand that

Todd4State
05-13-2017, 08:01 PM
You mean 2008-2010? 2007 was a CWS year, and 2010 was even worse than 2009.

Yes- 2008-2010.

basedog
05-13-2017, 08:33 PM
Here's the thing:

Polk did alot for State- but State did alot for Polk. Yet he has acted the last 10 years like STATE did him wrong and we are problem. **** that. Polk was given an SEC program that had won 12 SEC titles and been to a CWS just a few years before he got on campus. He didnt build Mississippi State baseball- he just advanced it. Ron Polk's biggest contribution is making baseball a money-making sport.

As with the NCAA basketball Tourney- in the 1970's baseball started adding conference tourney's and an expanded NCAA Tourney. Those didnt exist for our previous coaches to help us advance nationally. Most young people dont understand that

Polk was 6-12 in CWS, I think, he was good but not great in the big games.

Todd4State
05-13-2017, 08:41 PM
Polk was 6-12 in CWS, I think, he was good but not great in the big games.

He definitely had his share of disappointments- regionals in 84 and 89 and then the CWS in 85 among others.

Of course he won some big games too.

Billy Ray Valentine
05-14-2017, 09:04 AM
Rename it to Polk-Demented Stadium