PDA

View Full Version : Mullen has a chance...

lamont
05-12-2017, 11:22 AM
to better Kang Jackie this year in the Egg Bowl. The Kang was 5-3 against the Shitbirds before #Snitch U had to do everything possible to take him down. As we all know- Mullen is 5-3 vs the Shitbirds and has them at home this year. They have a HS-level LB group and should be pretty shitty on D.

With all the problems they have coming this Fall- that should be a beautiful Thanksgiving for Bulldog fans this year

BeardoMSU
05-12-2017, 11:26 AM
Could they be even worse on D this year? Is that possible, lol?

lamont
05-12-2017, 11:28 AM
Could they be even worse on D this year? Is that possible, lol?

If they have a few injuries? Absolutely

Reason2succeed
05-12-2017, 11:37 AM
Our defense can't get worse and Fitz and Aeris ought to be more mature in the offense.

lamont
05-12-2017, 11:41 AM
Our defense can't get worse and Fitz and Aeris ought to be more mature in the offense.

We were 56.4% run and 43.6% pass last year. We probably need to be closer to 60% run this Fall

confucius say
05-12-2017, 11:43 AM
If they have a few injuries? Absolutely

What do you think about their dl with speaks, Benito jones, and Haynes? Heard talk on the radio this morning that speaks allegedly is back to form after going through some personal issues last year.

Tbonewannabe
05-12-2017, 11:46 AM
As long as the WRs and TEs can keep the defense honest and the Oline can be at least mediocre then we should be pretty good this year. We have one of the best overall QBs in the SEC and what seems like a very good group of RBs. I think the defense is going to be vastly improved because the talent is there. I think the defense was just a recipe for disaster last year. Sirmon being in charge for the first time ever along with the transition to the 3-4 made it a tough to be successful.

Jack Lambert
05-12-2017, 11:50 AM
We were 56.4% run and 43.6% pass last year. We probably need to be closer to 60% run this Fall

If Williams was the feature back all season we probably would have been there. He was the difference in the Offense last year and I think he is the reason our O Line play got better.

lamont
05-12-2017, 11:53 AM
What do you think about their dl with speaks, Benito jones, and Haynes? Heard talk on the radio this morning that speaks allegedly is back to form after going through some personal issues last year.

Their DL will be solid. But Haynes is light in the britches and teams did more running right at him this past season to neutralize his pass rush. Thats why his numbers were down this past season. Running away from him only plays to strength which is speed and great reaction. Having big guys hitting him in the face play after play wears his wormy ass down

lamont
05-12-2017, 11:54 AM
If Williams was the feature back all season we probably would have been there. He was the difference in the Offense last year and I think he is the reason our O Line play got better.

No doubt about it. Makes you wonder why a genius like Mullen couldnt figure it out before Holloway got hurt to force the switch

msstate7
05-12-2017, 11:55 AM

I agree completely

ShotgunDawg
05-12-2017, 12:57 PM
Not a popular opinion here, but I'm not near as sold on Fitz as everyone else appears to be. Sure he can run and that offers some hope, but he's a well below average passer IMO and that kills us in games where we can't run the ball.

As good as the Egg Bowl and St Pete Bowl were, he was bad throwing the football in both games. He's got to get better, because teams are going to focus on shutting down our read option game this Fall. Fitz's lack of feel and touch leaves a lot of meat on the bone.

missouridawg
05-12-2017, 01:13 PM
Not a popular opinion here, but I'm not near as sold on Fitz as everyone else appears to be. Sure he can run and that offers some hope, but he's a well below average passer IMO and that kills us in games where we can't run the ball.

As good as the Egg Bowl and St Pete Bowl were, he was bad throwing the football in both games. He's got to get better, because teams are going to focus on shutting down our read option game this Fall. Fitz's lack of feel and touch leaves a lot of meat on the bone.

Room for improvement, for sure. I hope he makes the Dak jump, though. Dak was very average as a passer his sophomore year too.

Tbonewannabe
05-12-2017, 01:39 PM
Room for improvement, for sure. I hope he makes the Dak jump, though. Dak was very average as a passer his sophomore year too.

Exactly, Dak's biggest improvement was between sophomore and junior year. He developed a lot more touch on the ball. Hopefully Fitz is as dedicated as Dak was at becoming a great passer.

ShotgunDawg
05-12-2017, 01:49 PM

That's my hope as well, but Dak always threw a softer, more catchable ball. I know we blame Fred Ross for all those drops last year, but Fitz was throwing Kendall Graveman bowling ball, sinkers to him.

Ask any former high level catcher how easy those are to catch.

Fitz is explosive but lacks the feel and touch for consistency.

BeastMan
05-12-2017, 01:55 PM

I didn't think Fitz was a very good passer last year. He was awful early in the year. The key was his passing got better once he was used correctly. When the offense switched from spread pass with Holloway at RB to spread option with Aeris at RB, all of the sudden teams had to play the run which opend up the passing lanes enough for Fitz to make some plays. I think this year we'll run a scheme from day 1 which will be more Fitz friendly. That and every single Mullen QB gets better on a yearly bases throwing the ball. So a little improvement from Fitz and the right scheme and I think the offense could be mucho improved.

Madisonmd
05-12-2017, 02:08 PM
I didn't think Fitz was a very good passer last year. He was awful early in the year. The key was his passing got better once he was used correctly. When the offense switched from spread pass with Holloway at RB to spread option with Aeris at RB, all of the sudden teams had to play the run which opend up the passing lanes enough for Fitz to make some plays. I think this year we'll run a scheme from day 1 which will be more Fitz friendly. That and every single Mullen QB gets better on a yearly bases throwing the ball. So a little improvement from Fitz and the right scheme and I think the offense could be mucho improved.

I watched their spring game on TV recently. Their defensive team speed did not look good. Their LB play is really bad. I will say, their offense has some weapons! Patterson looks really good.

ShotgunDawg
05-12-2017, 02:09 PM

I'm certainly hoping this happens

msstate7
05-12-2017, 02:11 PM
That's my hope as well, but Dak always threw a softer, more catchable ball. I know we blame Fred Ross for all those drops last year, but Fitz was throwing Kendall Graveman bowling ball, sinkers to him.

Fitz gets blamed for Fred dropping balls that hit him in the hands? Tell me, what was wrong with the ball that hit Fred in the hands dead stride in OT vs byu?

Johnson85
05-12-2017, 02:11 PM

If you're expecting Fitz to lead us to a championship, you're going to be disappointed. But if Fitz is just good enough to make teams pay when they overcommit to the run, we can have a fun year next year. That will still leave some games out of reach, but will make Fitz one of the more dangerous QBs in the SEC.

ShotgunDawg
05-12-2017, 02:22 PM
Fitz gets blamed for Fred dropping balls that hit him in the hands? Tell me, what was wrong with the ball that hit Fred in the hands dead stride in OT vs byu?

You can't cherry pick one pass. That's incompetent.

Fitz throws a heavy, more difficult ball to catch than Dak did. Apply that where you see fit?

And yes, it matters.

msstate7
05-12-2017, 02:26 PM

Fitz throws a heavy, more difficult ball to catch than Dak did. Apply that where you see fit?

And yes, it matters.

Wait till Fred sees the steam that cam puts on the ball. WRs in the sec shouldn't drop balls that hit them in the hands imo

ShotgunDawg
05-12-2017, 02:31 PM
Wait till Fred sees the steam that cam puts on the ball. WRs in the sec shouldn't drop balls that hit them in the hands imo

The difficulty of the catch has little to do with the velocity of the pass. It has to do with the touch and rotation of the ball. Brett Favre throws the ball faster than Fitz but throw a softer, more catchable ball. Same for Cam Newton.

Many pitchers that throw hard throw light fastballs hitters whack, while others throw heavy balls that are difficult to lift. The quality of the pass or pitch is only partly due to velocity. Fitz throws a heavy ball. He'd be in our bullpen if he were on the baseball team.

smootness
05-12-2017, 02:47 PM
The difficulty of the catch has little to do with the velocity of the pass. It has to do with the touch and rotation of the ball. Brett Favre throws the ball faster than Fitz but throw a softer, more catchable ball. Same for Cam Newton.

Many pitchers that throw hard throw light fastballs hitters whack, while others throw heavy balls that are difficult to lift. The quality of the pass or pitch is only partly due to velocity. Fitz throws a heavy ball. He'd be in our bullpen if he were on the baseball team.

I think you're reading too much into a pitch being described as 'heavy' and trying to apply it where it doesn't make sense.

Pitches with sink, or with a lot of top-spin, are called 'heavy' because of that fact - they sink and/or have a lot of top-spin. That's why they're difficult to lift. You can't throw a football with top-spin, therefore it can't be 'heavy' in the same way. A pitch can only be the result of its velocity, angle, and spin. A football can only be the result of its velocity, angle, and spin. But you can't put the same kind of spin on it, and you can't really vary the spin. So it's really the result of its velocity and angle. That's really it.

So if Fitzgerald's throws seem 'heavier' to receivers, it's simply because they're thrown at a higher velocity.

lamont
05-12-2017, 02:54 PM

Dak had much better WR talent to work with

ShotgunDawg
05-12-2017, 02:56 PM
I think you're reading too much into a pitch being described as 'heavy' and trying to apply it where it doesn't make sense.

Pitches with sink, or with a lot of top-spin, are called 'heavy' because of that fact - they sink and/or have a lot of top-spin. That's why they're difficult to lift. You can't throw a football with top-spin, therefore it can't be 'heavy' in the same way. A pitch can only be the result of its velocity, angle, and spin. A football can only be the result of its velocity, angle, and spin. But you can't put the same kind of spin on it, and you can't really vary the spin. So it's really the result of its velocity and angle. That's really it.

So if Fitzgerald's throws seem 'heavier' to receivers, it's simply because they're thrown at a higher velocity.

Don't agree. It has to do with RPMs. Pitches that sink and that are heavy don't sink because of top spin unless it's thrown from low slot pitcher. Most sink and weight is created from low RPMs. Read up on Trackman. So basically, Fitz's ball is difficult to catch because it's thrown with high velocity and low RPMs, which causes the pass to be hard and heavy.

Heaviness of pitches and passes correlate with players that produce velocity through strength rather than arm speed. Tony Romo produces velocity through arm speed with looseness, which leads to a tighter spinning ball, while Fitz produces velocity through strength, which leads to a heavy pass that lacks tight spin.

Sink cause by top spin? Lol. I can't stop laughing about that. Is this Tennis?

Read this : http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=22362

Percho
05-12-2017, 03:04 PM

And yes, it matters.

? Sitting on the curve and adjusting to the fast ball ? :)

confucius say
05-12-2017, 03:27 PM

Laces were out?***

Seriously though, I understand some people throw more catchable balls than others. But I don't care if it's heavy, light, or tumbling like a kick off, an sec receiver should catch it 99/100 times when it hits him dead in the hands.

Commercecomet24
05-12-2017, 03:37 PM
I went back and charted all of Fred's drops. He dropped 16 passes and that was being generous, you could've added 4 more. He dropped all kinds of passes too. Short ones, long ones, fast balls, balls with touch. I don't think Fitz was the issue here. And please don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Fred. I love what he did here and proud he's a Dawg and hope he has great success in the NFL, but he just didn't have a great year catching the football. It sure wasn't for a lack of effort, sometimes stuff happens.

Dawg61
05-12-2017, 08:33 PM
to better Kang Jackie this year in the Egg Bowl. The Kang was 5-3 against the Shitbirds before #Snitch U had to do everything possible to take him down. As we all know- Mullen is 5-3 vs the Shitbirds and has them at home this year. They have a HS-level LB group and should be pretty shitty on D.

With all the problems they have coming this Fall- that should be a beautiful Thanksgiving for Bulldog fans this year

I see you posting a positive thread about Mullen, rep given

Dawg61
05-12-2017, 08:35 PM

Not even gonna read your post or the rest of this thread just wanted to point out that only your ass would bitch about a sophomore that lead the country in total yards the last eight weeks of the season and was a **** hair away from breaking Cam Newton's all-time SEC rushing record.

turkish
05-12-2017, 09:24 PM

Before, I was on the fence. Now I know to ignore everything you post. That's just dumb.

Liverpooldawg
05-12-2017, 09:28 PM
Dak had much better WR talent to work with

He did but Dak as a Sr was an incredible passer. He proved that to be so the next year in the NFL. What was it you called him as a Sr. again?

Bothrops
05-12-2017, 09:32 PM
Mullen could be 8-1 or 7-2 against the Shitbirds, this time next year.

lamont
05-12-2017, 09:52 PM
He did but Dak as a Sr was an incredible passer. He proved that to be so the next year in the NFL. What was it you called him as a Sr. again?

He was Checkdown Charlie his Sr year- surely you remember that.

Liverpooldawg
05-12-2017, 10:00 PM
He was Checkdown Charlie his Sr year- surely you remember that.
Yep, the funny thing is that you still think you were insulting him by calling him that. That's when I lost all respect for your football opinions. Prior to that you and I, as much as we BOTH hate to admit it, were pretty much on the same page football wise. The way Dak played as Sr is what you WANT from a QB, and almost never get in college. I've never seen a college QB improve as much as he did over his career.

lamont
05-12-2017, 10:04 PM
Thats why you are uneducated. Because I never acted like I was insulting him. I simply described his play. He didnt push the ball down the field enough.

Liverpooldawg
05-12-2017, 10:18 PM
Thats why you are uneducated. Because I never acted like I was insulting him. I simply described his play. He didnt push the ball down the field enough.

LOL, if so the context was a bit baffling then. That term was a compliment in 2015, whether you intended it that way or not.

Gutter Cobreh
05-12-2017, 11:00 PM
Fitz threw 4 picks in the spring game; with a completion rate less than 50%. I don't want to hear about WRs sitting that game or any other excuse. If that doesn't give some anxiety, regardless of stats last year, then I don't know what to say.

Hopefully, we game plan for a 70/30 split. Williams is the key that makes the offense go!

ShotgunDawg
05-12-2017, 11:44 PM
Before, I was on the fence. Now I know to ignore everything you post. That's just dumb.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/bcf4aa995ad1c86401497d5503010962/tumblr_n2ti8donyK1tsxieqo1_500.gif

WSOPdawg
05-13-2017, 07:52 AM

Well said, BeastMan. 100% right on.

pilldawg
05-13-2017, 08:58 AM

Has basically been one of the best QBs of all time by mastering the checkdown.

Coach 57
05-13-2017, 04:38 PM

Honestly bro, that's not true. I remember Dak trying to laser everything he had on passes. He hit that growth spurt in maturity when he was forced to play in 2013.

Relf grew up a lot in 2011. It just didn't translate into more wins. He was vastly improved from 09' to 11'. Dak did too in his years as starter. Nick is far more talented than they are. I believe Dan will have Fitz ready. Don't buy into what was seen at the scrimmage game. There was a lot more to that than a "poor performance" sometimes the perception is NOT reality. But I still love you bro ;)

lamont
05-13-2017, 05:01 PM
Has basically been one of the best QBs of all time by mastering the checkdown.

Brady doesnt checkdown much- he regularly pushes the ball down the field. What Brady does do is get rid of the ball extremely quick on short passes to get quick gains on inside routes. Big difference in checking down and throwing quick option routes to Welker/Edelmen

Commercecomet24
05-13-2017, 05:31 PM
Brady doesnt checkdown much- he regularly pushes the ball down the field. What Brady does do is get rid of the ball extremely quick on short passes to get quick gains on inside routes. Big difference in checking down and throwing quick option routes to Welker/Edelmen

You nailed it!

Liverpooldawg
05-13-2017, 09:20 PM
Fact remains that a prominent poster here ridiculed Dak by calling him "Checkdown Charlie." Those of us who actually had a clue about football knew it was a totally unintentional compliment. I ceased to give that poster any credit from the first time I saw him use that term.

DancingRabbit
05-13-2017, 10:07 PM
Honestly bro, that's not true. I remember Dak trying to laser everything he had on passes. He hit that growth spurt in maturity when he was forced to play in 2013.

Relf grew up a lot in 2011. It just didn't translate into more wins. He was vastly improved from 09' to 11'. Dak did too in his years as starter. Nick is far more talented than they are. I believe Dan will have Fitz ready. Don't buy into what was seen at the scrimmage game. There was a lot more to that than a "poor performance" sometimes the perception is NOT reality. But I still love you bro ;)

Agree. One of my most pleasant surprises during Dak's first year as a pro was how much he had improved on his touch and accuracy on short passes.