PDA

View Full Version : Quick thought on Spencer Price

CadaverDawg
05-11-2017, 03:45 PM
I know Price is good to go, but I'd really like for us to reverse his and Self's role in his next appearance....just in case there's some rust from not pitching in a few weeks, we'd have Self in case of emergency behind him. Otherwise, we could be in a tight spot and have already burned Self...and we're not in a position where we want to blow a game vs UGA with the SEC on the line due to mismanagement. Just for one game though so we can get him an inning or two with no pressure.

Thoughts?

I seen it dawg
05-11-2017, 03:48 PM
I think it's a great idea.

Commercecomet24
05-11-2017, 03:52 PM
I know Price is good to go, but I'd really like for us to reverse his and Self's role in his next appearance....just in case there's some rust from not pitching in a few weeks, we'd have Self in case of emergency behind him. Otherwise, we could be in a tight spot and have already burned Self...and we're not in a position where we want to blow a game vs UGA with the SEC on the line due to mismanagement. Just for one game though so we can get him an inning or two with no pressure.

Thoughts?

I really think those 2 are pretty interchangeable anyway. They both can come in and pitch out of jams although price is more of a strikeout guy. I think you got a pretty good idea there.

msbulldog
05-11-2017, 06:25 PM
Makes since Cdawg.

Todd4State
05-11-2017, 06:27 PM
I'm all for it and I do think or at least suspect that we will see Price and Self stretched out some once the regionals start.

Doc
05-12-2017, 07:25 AM
Aren't both similar type pitchers. Similar velocity and a nasty breaking ball out pitch?

smootness
05-12-2017, 08:12 AM
They're both striking guys out at basically the same rate. Self has been our best pitcher this year. We need to let him play the Girodo role once we hit the regional.

BB30
05-12-2017, 08:25 AM
I'm all for it and I do think or at least suspect that we will see Price and Self stretched out some once the regionals start.

I think we will too if necessary. If we can get through the regional I think we have and exceptional chance to make a CWS appearance. We cannot afford to drop a game in a regional though. It is a double edged sword extending them. If you do happen to extend them early in the first couple games of a regional and then drop one it will be tough to bring them back if needed on the last day to clinch a SR birth. That is why I think it is so critical Pilkington starts to perform up to the quality of his stuff. We really need 7-8 quality innings out of him in the first game assuming he goes game 1 and Denver has to continue to improve and throw the ball well. We don't have the luxury of a slip up start in regional play.

smootness
05-12-2017, 08:47 AM
I think we will too if necessary. If we can get through the regional I think we have and exceptional chance to make a CWS appearance. We cannot afford to drop a game in a regional though. It is a double edged sword extending them. If you do happen to extend them early in the first couple games of a regional and then drop one it will be tough to bring them back if needed on the last day to clinch a SR birth. That is why I think it is so critical Pilkington starts to perform up to the quality of his stuff. We really need 7-8 quality innings out of him in the first game assuming he goes game 1 and Denver has to continue to improve and throw the ball well. We don't have the luxury of a slip up start in regional play.

You would pitch him Game 1? I would definitely hold him until 2. Start Plumlee or Gordon in Game 1.

BB30
05-12-2017, 09:13 AM
You would pitch him Game 1? I would definitely hold him until 2. Start Plumlee or Gordon in Game 1.

Depends on who we draw for the regional and who we play game one and match ups. If we had a regular staff I would consider holding my number 1 for game two. I also would want a guy out there that can give us a bunch of innings game one to save the pen as long as we can with our depth situation.

Now if we are playing South Eastern Iowa Directional Institute game one, yea go with Plumlee or Gordon.

I mean if we are being entirely honest, and this is not a knock on our guys that have thrown the Sat and Sunday games they have done exactly what we have needed out of them, but we don't have a true SEC weekend rotation or 3 solid starters. And that is fine we are making it work quite successfully. But I don't want to risk falling in a hole on day one. Also, If by chance you jump out and grab a solid lead in the first 2-4 innings get Pilk out of there and you have him if needed in the final game or rubber game.

smootness
05-12-2017, 09:22 AM
Depends on who we draw for the regional and who we play game one and match ups. If we had a regular staff I would consider holding my number 1 for game two. I also would want a guy out there that can give us a bunch of innings game one to save the pen as long as we can with our depth situation.

Now if we are playing South Eastern Iowa Directional Institute game one, yea go with Plumlee or Gordon.

It's precisely because we only have one clear dependable starter that I hold him until game 2. You have to win both of the first 2, otherwise things become extremely tough. So I'd rather lower the chances of winning game 1 slightly in order to raise the chances of winning game 2 quite a bit than to ensure we win game 1 and throw game 2 into doubt.

Pilkington pitching will hopefully allow your pen to rest whether he starts in game 1 or 2, so that doesn't really factor in for me. In fact, I would rather more guys pitch in game 1 and then get the rest than potentially have to pitch in more consecutive games.

I seen it dawg
05-12-2017, 10:49 AM

Depending on who we get I'm not opposed to starting Pilk in game 2. However it won't be Plumlee or Gordon. See what we are doing with Denver and jb. Those are our starters. Gordon and Plumlee are pen guys.

smootness
05-12-2017, 11:25 AM
Depending on who we get I'm not opposed to starting Pilk in game 2. However it won't be Plumlee or Gordon. See what we are doing with Denver and jb. Those are our starters. Gordon and Plumlee are pen guys.

If McQuary continues what he did last weekend, I would have him ready to go in game 3. I'd be fine with Billingsley starting Game 1. I wasn't really saying Plumlee or Gordon because that's specifically who I want, was just saying somebody in that realm, which is where I put Billingsley.

BB30
05-12-2017, 01:19 PM
It's precisely because we only have one clear dependable starter that I hold him until game 2. You have to win both of the first 2, otherwise things become extremely tough. So I'd rather lower the chances of winning game 1 slightly in order to raise the chances of winning game 2 quite a bit than to ensure we win game 1 and throw game 2 into doubt.

Pilkington pitching will hopefully allow your pen to rest whether he starts in game 1 or 2, so that doesn't really factor in for me. In fact, I would rather more guys pitch in game 1 and then get the rest than potentially have to pitch in more consecutive games.

Different strokes for different folks. Hopefully our other starters continue to improve and it is a non factor. I still think it depends entirely on the draw and what arm we will see on the other side.