PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Rigby

Todd4State
05-10-2017, 02:16 PM
Is doing some soft tossing and will throw some bullpens this week. If he looks good he could be back.

blacklistedbully
05-10-2017, 02:24 PM
Wow, that could be great for us if he returns to form. Any other potential returners in time for post-season, Todd?

And if there are, would we use them, or hope to get a medical redshirt? I'm guessing we would use anyone we could, as there are limited scholarships to begin with, and getting to the regionals is something that needs to be capitalized on.

Todd4State
05-10-2017, 03:31 PM
The only other one I can think of would possibly be Stovall.

My GUESS is both Rigby and Stovall come back. I could be wrong but that's my educated guess.

Homedawg
05-10-2017, 03:45 PM
Stovall is going to start hitting tomorrow I'm told. Amazing cause his hand was mangled

The Federalist Engineer
05-10-2017, 04:03 PM
This is huge, just hope he can work the rust off pretty quickly. Other than Troy and SEC tourney ... there's no garbage innings to give him.

Todd4State
05-10-2017, 04:26 PM
This is huge, just hope he can work the rust off pretty quickly. Other than Troy and SEC tourney ... there's no garbage innings to give him.

As far as I'm concerned the SEC Tournament is a great time to work them in.

blacklistedbully
05-10-2017, 05:36 PM
The only other one I can think of would possibly be Stovall.

My GUESS is both Rigby and Stovall come back. I could be wrong but that's my educated guess.

Was hoping there might be another pitcher or 2. That said, would be great to get Stovall back.

confucius say
05-10-2017, 05:46 PM
Stovall will be back. Next week at worst. Rigby much more doubtful.

Todd4State
05-10-2017, 05:46 PM
Was hoping there might be another pitcher or 2. That said, would be great to get Stovall back.

That would be nice but at the same time I'll take what we can get. Most of the rest of the pitchers are recovering from Tommy John. Ashcraft had hip surgery and is out for this year. Rigby and Noah Hughes are the only realistic ones that could come back and burning Hughes redshirt would be a bad move at this point.

AlSwearengen
05-10-2017, 05:47 PM
What was Rigby's injury?

confucius say
05-10-2017, 05:48 PM
What was Rigby's injury?

Groin. Torn I believe. Not pulled.

msbulldog
05-10-2017, 05:51 PM
Canny said in media day Rigby not coming back. He must be pushing himself, we don't need to screw him up by playing him to soon.

basedog
05-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Canny said in media day Rigby not coming back. He must be pushing himself, we don't need to screw him up by playing him to soon.

I think that is probably the right thing, no sense in pushing a groin injury especially a pitcher.

blacklistedbully
05-10-2017, 06:37 PM
That would be nice but at the same time I'll take what we can get. Most of the rest of the pitchers are recovering from Tommy John. Ashcraft had hip surgery and is out for this year. Rigby and Noah Hughes are the only realistic ones that could come back and burning Hughes redshirt would be a bad move at this point.

If we truly do have a great shot at securing a national seed, I'd be tempted. It's really hard to get to the CWS. It's damn near impossible to do it without pitching depth. Are you so sure burning his redshirt would be a bad move given our circumstance?

Isn't it incredibly rare for a MLB-prospect quality player to stay all 4 years anyway? If he's good enough to worry about keeping his redshirt, doesn't that mean he's probably good enough to not stay all 4 years anyway?

The Federalist Engineer
05-10-2017, 06:49 PM

Burn that redshirt if he is ready! Let next year take care of next year. However, if he is getting hit like Ford in practice, then keep the redshirt.

msbulldog
05-10-2017, 07:09 PM
Same argument about Hughes as Rigby , we don't need risk screwing up a young man by playing him to soon. I am older and I hope The Good Lord allows me to see MSU win a Natty in something (besides disc golf) before I die. But, I would die happily sacrificing a Natty rather than messing up a kid!
In coaches I trust to make the best decisions. Hail State!

blacklistedbully
05-10-2017, 07:17 PM
Same argument about Hughes as Rigby , we don't need risk screwing up a young man by playing him to soon. I am older and I hope The Good Lord allows me to see MSU win a Natty in something (besides disc golf) before I die. But, I would die happily sacrificing a Natty rather than messing up a kid!
In coaches I trust to make the best decisions. Hail State!

I don't think anyone here is remotely suggesting we put a kid at risk. I'd be shocked if there was a single fan here who didn't feel the same as you in this regard. What we are debating is whether or not...if healthy, we should burn the redshirt on a pitcher who could help us now, just so we could have the potential to keep him another year.

The Federalist Engineer
05-10-2017, 08:04 PM
I don't think anyone here is remotely suggesting we put a kid at risk. I'd be shocked if there was a single fan here who didn't feel the same as you in this regard. What we are debating is whether or not...if healthy, we should burn the redshirt on a pitcher who could help us now, just so we could have the potential to keep him another year.

Absolutely true, I don't even like kids missing classes or family weddings.

Maroons
05-10-2017, 08:10 PM
Stovall is going to start hitting tomorrow I'm told. Amazing cause his hand was mangled

Amazing, yes. But his hand wasn't mangled. It was a very clean break of one bone (5th).

Choctaw Dawg
05-10-2017, 09:00 PM
Better use Rigby now, a friend of Rigby's told me that if Henderson comes back next year he would be transferring. Rigby was irritated by the way Henderson made Rigby change his mechanics and is blaming his injury on Henderson's work with him.

Todd4State
05-10-2017, 10:44 PM
If we truly do have a great shot at securing a national seed, I'd be tempted. It's really hard to get to the CWS. It's damn near impossible to do it without pitching depth. Are you so sure burning his redshirt would be a bad move given our circumstance?

Isn't it incredibly rare for a MLB-prospect quality player to stay all 4 years anyway? If he's good enough to worry about keeping his redshirt, doesn't that mean he's probably good enough to not stay all 4 years anyway?

I think in this case redshirting would benefit both of us. Hughes has already had an injury shorted true freshman year. He's essentially out this year and next year is likely a recovery year for him. By redshirting him this year it benefits both MSU and Hughes because by doing so he would maintain his draft leverage because he would get a potential fifth year of eligibility and we would benefit from a healthy season from him. Rooker in terms of eligibility is the same situation- we redshirted him and he got drafted last year but he came back for his fourth year because he still has draft leverage even after the Twins drafted him.

A four year guy is rare if you don't redshirt the player, but the ones that redshirt are sometimes and more likely to be on the team for four years like Rooker.

Age is also a factor too- but in Hughes case I think showing scouts that he is healthy and having a good year would be a good trade off in terms of him getting drafted as high as possible for the one year in age.

Homedawg
05-10-2017, 10:52 PM
Burn that redshirt if he is ready! Let next year take care of next year. However, if he is getting hit like Ford in practice, then keep the redshirt.

Hughes isn't pitching and to do so would be idiotic for multiple reasons. 1- 2 weeks for a year and 2- more importantly, he said prior to the season he didn't want to and his parents are on board. Don't ruin your reputation over some idiotic move w a guy that hasn't pitched in a yeat just stupid.

Homedawg
05-10-2017, 10:53 PM
Better use Rigby now, a friend of Rigby's told me that if Henderson comes back next year he would be transferring. Rigby was irritated by the way Henderson made Rigby change his mechanics and is blaming his injury on Henderson's work with him.

Transferring to where? Jackson state??

Choctaw Dawg
05-11-2017, 09:49 PM
Transferring to where? Jackson state??

Nope, going juco in Alabama.

Choctaw Dawg
05-11-2017, 09:50 PM
Nope, going juco in Alabama.

Misquote, going NAIA in Alabama

blacklistedbully
05-12-2017, 01:32 AM
Hughes isn't pitching and to do so would be idiotic for multiple reasons. 1- 2 weeks for a year and 2- more importantly, he said prior to the season he didn't want to and his parents are on board. Don't ruin your reputation over some idiotic move w a guy that hasn't pitched in a yeat just stupid.

If the stuff you say about him not wanting to pitch this year, and us agreeing with his parents is true, then I see your point entirely. As far as the "hasn't pitched in a year" stuff goes..who gives a shit, if the kid can pitch now?

As far as the trading 1-2 weeks for a year..are you out of your mind?? If...IF the kid can pitch, and by pitching increase our odds of making the CWS this year..a year where we are currently projected to earn a national seed...you GLADLY trade his services for a full year 2-3 years from now for 1-2 weeks this year if it helps you get that national seed. Just how often do you think a program gets a national seed? Care to take odds on how likely we are to get one next year, with him pitching the full season?

How many times have we received a national seed? If it's within reach at this time of year, you go for it! You don't break your word...risk a player's health and damage your reputation doing it. But if he's ready, and you believe he can help, you damn sure don't "save him for next year" just so you can get an additional full season instead of 2 weeks.

Omaha is the goal. Not how many total innings pitched we can get from our pitchers. Consider this. Do you think that if that kid is ready, willing and able to help now, that he and his parents wouldn't trade a future season, one that is statistically not likely to end in a CWS, for a great chance to get there and pitch in a CWS this year?

BB30
05-12-2017, 08:16 AM
If the stuff you say about him not wanting to pitch this year, and us agreeing with his parents is true, then I see your point entirely. As far as the "hasn't pitched in a year" stuff goes..who gives a shit, if the kid can pitch now?

As far as the trading 1-2 weeks for a year..are you out of your mind?? If...IF the kid can pitch, and by pitching increase our odds of making the CWS this year..a year where we are currently projected to earn a national seed...you GLADLY trade his services for a full year 2-3 years from now for 1-2 weeks this year if it helps you get that national seed. Just how often do you think a program gets a national seed? Care to take odds on how likely we are to get one next year, with him pitching the full season?

How many times have we received a national seed? If it's within reach at this time of year, you go for it! You don't break your word...risk a player's health and damage your reputation doing it. But if he's ready, and you believe he can help, you damn sure don't "save him for next year" just so you can get an additional full season instead of 2 weeks.

Omaha is the goal. Not how many total innings pitched we can get from our pitchers. Consider this. Do you think that if that kid is ready, willing and able to help now, that he and his parents wouldn't trade a future season, one that is statistically not likely to end in a CWS, for a great chance to get there and pitch in a CWS this year?

I personally think the last two seasons will now be closer to the norm for us than not. Also, do you want to run a kid out there at this point in the season that may or may not be ready to contribute positively. It is one thing throwing pens and looking alright. It is another to get out there in a regional or super if we are a national seed in front of 13K and perform well, especially coming off an injury. It takes time to get everything back and knock the rust off. At this point in the season every inning becomes more meaningful, that is a big risk to take on a kid that hasn't seen live action in quite a while.

smootness
05-12-2017, 08:20 AM

You don't have to be out of your mind to prefer not to burn a redshirt year for the postseason. There's an argument for burning it, but there is absolutely one for keeping it on as well. We don't really know what he would give us right now, so you might be burning it for an ineffective guy anyway. And we'll likely still be in the hunt for national seeds and such in a couple years as well.

preachermatt83
05-12-2017, 09:14 AM

Lol, Henderson is far more valuable to our program than Ryan rigby is.

MarketingBully
05-12-2017, 09:22 AM
I've noticed the Henderson talk that everyone didn't like him disappeared after we started winning. Odd how that happens. I do agree though PreacherMatt. Coach Henderson is much more valuable then Ryan Rigby is. And I'm beginning to think Ryan Rigby probably doesn't hold that same opinion that the poster says now.

BB30
05-12-2017, 09:29 AM
I will be shocked if we see Rigby back this season. A torn groin is nothing to play around with and is very easy to re injure if you aren't 100%. I also highly doubt Henderson fiddled with his mechanics enough to cause a groin tear. Changing mechanics even drastically, shouldn't create a huge issue with a groin. Arm maybe, groin, highly unlikely.

blacklistedbully
05-12-2017, 12:18 PM
You don't have to be out of your mind to prefer not to burn a redshirt year for the postseason. There's an argument for burning it, but there is absolutely one for keeping it on as well. We don't really know what he would give us right now, so you might be burning it for an ineffective guy anyway. And we'll likely still be in the hunt for national seeds and such in a couple years as well.

Yeah, I know. I was just responding to a post that was suggesting the opposite in a similar fashion. Had HD's post been more civil, I would have taken a different approach...though I do stand by my contention that if the coaches think he is ready to contribute, and we haven't made promises we'd have to break, I wouldn't sacrifice his availability now just to get an extra full season 2-3 years from now. We are in a prime position to earn a NS this year. The odds we will be there again in what would have been his last season if we save him are slim by comparison.

Think about athletes in just about any sport. What percentage in the pros would sacrifice a ton of money just to get on a team with a great shot at winning a championship. It happens plenty. And in this case, we're not talking about a kid giving up a bunch of money...rather we're talking about him giving up perhaps 5-15 appearances in regular season for as much as 5-10 appearances starting now and through the CWS. Sure, it's less if we don't actually make it and have an extended stay in the CWS...but that's a chance you take, and a chance I believe just about any athlete would take if given the opportunity.

If you were a pitcher who could choose between pitching in around 10-15 games in the regular season with just a slim chance to get a NS later on, or pitching in just 2-3 regular season games now + a really good shot at another 5-7 in the Regionals, SR's & CWS...which would you choose?

blacklistedbully
05-12-2017, 12:31 PM
I personally think the last two seasons will now be closer to the norm for us than not. Also, do you want to run a kid out there at this point in the season that may or may not be ready to contribute positively. It is one thing throwing pens and looking alright. It is another to get out there in a regional or super if we are a national seed in front of 13K and perform well, especially coming off an injury. It takes time to get everything back and knock the rust off. At this point in the season every inning becomes more meaningful, that is a big risk to take on a kid that hasn't seen live action in quite a while.

Nobody is suggesting we run the kid out there too soon. The entire argument is based on the assumption our coaches, trainers and medical staff are convinced he is healthy and ready to contribute. I trust our staff to make that decision. This debate is simply about whether or not, assuming he is healthy and able to pitch well, we go ahead and burn his redshirt now in order to strengthen our bullpen, or perhaps even get another potential starter.

Some are arguing, even if he is ready, we should not sacrifice an entire season just to have him right now. I think we should burn it if we think it will help us win a NS, and go deep into the post-season, increasing our chance at the CWS. And part of my argument is that, if he does help us to win, he'll possibly end up pitching only a little less than he would have in a full regular season. It's not as if we expect to have so few arms in the future.

BB30
05-12-2017, 01:10 PM
Nobody is suggesting we run the kid out there too soon. The entire argument is based on the assumption our coaches, trainers and medical staff are convinced he is healthy and ready to contribute. I trust our staff to make that decision. This debate is simply about whether or not, assuming he is healthy and able to pitch well, we go ahead and burn his redshirt now in order to strengthen our bullpen, or perhaps even get another potential starter.

Some are arguing, even if he is ready, we should not sacrifice an entire season just to have him right now. I think we should burn it if we think it will help us win a NS, and go deep into the post-season, increasing our chance at the CWS. And part of my argument is that, if he does help us to wion, he'll possibly end up pitching only a littel less than he would have in a full regular season. It's not as if we expect to have so few arms in the future.

Here is the issue though even under the assumption that he is 100% healthy and has looked alright in bullpens. He could look like the next Nolan Ryan in the bullpen and sh** the bed in a real game. He is young, you run a pretty significant risk of stunting his development if you send him out there and he isn't ready mentally. We aren't talking about bringing him back for a couple of midweek appearances against a directional school. In this situation you are talking about bringing a kid that hasn't thrown to live batters in quite a while into a game that is extremely important. Coming back from an injury as a pitcher, it takes some time to knock the rust off and frankly we don't have the innings available for him to knock the rust off. Every inning from here out is going to be extremely crucial. I just don't personally think the risk is worth the reward if he happens to pan out. I would rather see him continue to get healthy and continue to mature and be 100% by next season and have those less crucial innings available for him to gain some confidence and work on his craft. It is ok we can have differing opinions.

Also, I would be willing to bet that before he leaves Mississippi State he will have another opportunity to play in the post season and a pretty solid chance to make it to a SR/CWS. We are on the upswing with a lot of young talent and more coming in.

blacklistedbully
05-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Here is the issue though even under the assumption that he is 100% healthy and has looked alright in bullpens. He could look like the next Nolan Ryan in the bullpen and sh** the bed in a real game. He is young, you run a pretty significant risk of stunting his development if you send him out there and he isn't ready mentally. We aren't talking about bringing him back for a couple of midweek appearances against a directional school. In this situation you are talking about bringing a kid that hasn't thrown to live batters in quite a while into a game that is extremely important. Coming back from an injury as a pitcher, it takes some time to knock the rust off and frankly we don't have the innings available for him to knock the rust off. Every inning from here out is going to be extremely crucial. I just don't personally think the risk is worth the reward if he happens to pan out. I would rather see him continue to get healthy and continue to mature and be 100% by next season and have those less crucial innings available for him to gain some confidence and work on his craft. It is ok we can have differing opinions.

Also, I would be willing to bet that before he leaves Mississippi State he will have another opportunity to play in the post season and a pretty solid chance to make it to a SR/CWS. We are on the upswing with a lot of young talent and more coming in.

Again, I trust our coaches to know better than you or me. If they think he is ready and can handle it...that works for me. If they don't think he is ready (physically & mentally), then that works for me as well. I know Cann, Cohen and Hendu have forgotten much more baseball than I have ever known and ever will know.

And if they think he is ready...playing a little in the UGA and/or LSU series, even if just an inning or two, could be just fine to get him ready for a post-season run. UGA is not a great SEC team, and LSU will be at The Dude, providing an intense atmosphere, but one that is in front of the home crowd.

Is trying to use such a young pitcher really worse than using position players as starters and/or long relief on Saturdays in the SEC?