PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting in Missouri for Mississippi State Baseball...

The Federalist Engineer
05-10-2017, 12:47 PM
I just wanted to share this article on something every parent in Missouri knows. You don't want to send your kids to Columbia, Missouri. It's rapidly transforming into something on par or worse than Austin, TX and Berkeley, CA. Mother-in-law used to send them five and six figure checks every year, now they get nothing. They have lost 20% of the students and 40% of the private donations in about 2 years.

The crooting story is this: Mississippi State tuition is crazy affordable compared to the Midwest. The baseball player culture is basically southern, so the players would not be misfits in Starkville. They are absolute misfits in Columbia. And there is no major A&M university with D1 sports in Missouri (no Texas A&M, Auburn, Georgia Tech, Clemson, or Oklahoma State). You have two big cities here, KC and STL. They produce players like LSU's Lange and Mizzou's Max Scherzer (my town).

Basically, just like we camp out in Memphis area for Brent Rookers and Paul Maholms, we need the same in STL/KC.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/education/freshman-enrollment-at-mizzou-to-take-a-steep-drop-in/article_b7417bf6-268e-58c4-b358-ac369c4481fc.html

Choctaw Dawg
05-10-2017, 09:08 PM
I just wanted to share this article on something every parent in Missouri knows. You don't want to send your kids to Columbia, Missouri. It's rapidly transforming into something on par or worse than Austin, TX and Berkeley, CA. Mother-in-law used to send them five and six figure checks every year, now they get nothing. They have lost 20% of the students and 40% of the private donations in about 2 years.

The crooting story is this: Mississippi State tuition is crazy affordable compared to the Midwest. The baseball player culture is basically southern, so the players would not be misfits in Starkville. They are absolute misfits in Columbia. And there is no major A&M university with D1 sports in Missouri (no Texas A&M, Auburn, Georgia Tech, Clemson, or Oklahoma State). You have two big cities here, KC and STL. They produce players like LSU's Lange and Mizzou's Max Scherzer (my town).

Basically, just like we camp out in Memphis area for Brent Rookers and Paul Maholms, we need the same in STL/KC.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/education/freshman-enrollment-at-mizzou-to-take-a-steep-drop-in/article_b7417bf6-268e-58c4-b358-ac369c4481fc.html

We could certainly jump in missouri and pick up some players for an extended period of time. Missouri is a fertile baseball state with the University of Missouri not having a large foot print in college baseball. We would only have to watch out for Missouri State when they are above average and i would assume they have a decent foot print in the area as well as SE Missouri.

Todd4State
05-10-2017, 10:38 PM
Baseball is big in Missouri because both the Cardinals and Royals have good followings. We've gone there before- Cyr, William DuPont was from St. Louis before going pro, and my Dad is from there way back in the day. I certainly think we could get a player or two from there every year and I do think it's kind of a hidden area as far as baseball talent goes. The Cardinals have a history of getting several local players who have been good major leaguers over the years.

Mizzou is going to struggle until they get a commitment from their fans and administration to support baseball at a SEC level. They're like a mix between Kentucky and Georgia.

Southeast Missouri doesn't have a ton of population- it's mainly farms. With Southeast Missouri State in Cape Girardeau in that area I don't think Missouri State has much of a footprint in that area. It's kind of a long way from some of those areas and SEMO State, maybe Mizzou depending on where you live, Washington, St. Louis University are all much closer not to mention the out of state schools in Illinois, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, and even Mississippi. MSU is probably closer for some of those people that live in the bootheel than Missouri State is.

msbulldog
05-11-2017, 06:10 AM
Dated a girl from the bootheel when I was at State, lovely young lady.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-11-2017, 06:18 AM
I "Dated" a girl from the boot heel several times while at MSU too.... wonder if it was same girl?

ShotgunDawg
05-11-2017, 07:47 AM
Arkansas and Missouri State are tough to beat in that state. Unless the kid was from the southeast side, I'm not sure we'd have a ton of success there.

32 Dive
05-11-2017, 08:57 AM
I "Dated" a girl from the boot heel several times while at MSU too.... wonder if it was same girl?

A similar thought crossed my mind...