PDA

View Full Version : Darius Slay Giving Back

BrunswickDawg
05-10-2017, 07:41 AM
I'll say one thing about the guys coming out of our football program - Dan seems to instill a real sense of charity and honest appreciations for fans among our players.

Darius Slay flew down for the morning for a fundraiser in the BQK - See article below:

From the Brunswick News

The Coastal Outreach Soccer program?s goal, when established roughly a decade ago, was to help struggling students in the Brunswick area graduate high school with increased consistency. It?s now growing at a pace so fast, the organization?s ambitions are trying to keep up.

Tuesday morning, director Shawn Williams hosted a Breakfast of Champions fundraiser in the Perkins Conference Center at Southeast Georgia Health System?s Brunswick campus. The event was headlined by special guest Detroit Lions defensive back and former Brunswick Pirate, Darius Slay, who is Williams? cousin.

Slay took photo ops with patrons and players from the COS program at the end of the breakfast. Williams said the first edition of the Breakfast of Champions was a success.

He said the event not only provided necessary funds to help the program continue to provide affordable extracurricular opportunities for young athletes, but also gave patrons face-to-face time with current and former members of the program.

?Building those relationships are critical,? Williams said. ?We can share stories all day, but actually giving our supporters the opportunity to meet and talk with them and get first hand information from the kids on the impact the program has had on their lives, they can communicate that far better than any of the coaches.?

The first edition of the Breakfast of Champions sold out a week before the actual event, partially thanks to Slay?s presence, Williams said. He added that the number supporters in attendance was capped at 70 because of the size of the venue, but he suspects they would have sold out a larger venue as well.

?It?s energizing,? Williams said. ?Everyone was interested in spending time with him. When we went into this, we didn?t know what to expect, but we actually sold out the event last week.?

Slay, who flew in from Detroit to meet and greet fans and students, forwent volunteer workouts to return to his hometown and support his cousin?s program.

Slay was still at Brunswick High when Williams? program started up. Slay said he?s not much of a soccer player himself, but his son participates in the program and he?s seen first hand how COS has helped give local athletes opportunities beyond Brunswick.

?It means a lot, seeing kids getting scouted and educated and getting ahead of the game,? Slay said.

Williams said the fundraiser is a good building block for COS? growing program, as the organization branches out to programs other than soccer.

?Over the last three months we?ve had tremendous growth, regarding out participation,? Williams said. ?As we continue to look at being able to fully implement all our programs, it?s critical that we have this tip of event annually and continue to gain community awareness and support for what we?re doing. A lot of times people see us as the soccer program. It gives us the opportunity to share a vision.?

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/goldenisles.news/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/0/8b/08b4e4c7-87ec-517e-a8f5-0f0f66a38608/5912531a01c00.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C1306

shannondawg
05-10-2017, 07:55 AM
Like his shirt!

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-10-2017, 08:13 AM
This is one I wish Dan had redshirted. I can't remember if he won any post season awards, but he certainly would have with an extra year. Would have helped his draft stock as well. Great to see our guys giving back.

Jack Lambert
05-10-2017, 08:16 AM
This is one I wish Dan had redshirted. I can't remember if he won any post season awards, but he certainly would have with an extra year. Would have helped his draft stock as well. Great to see our guys giving back.

I am kind of curious would he had hung around.

Jarius
05-10-2017, 08:42 AM

Yea, we should have redshirted a guy that would have never been here his senior year so we just got 1 year instead of 2. Redshirting guys that are going to leave for the NFL early is pointless.

BrunswickDawg
05-10-2017, 08:48 AM

I am kind of curious would he had hung around.

I don't think he would have hung around. We tend to forget he had to beat out Broomfield - who already had career 9 INTs in 2 seasons - and was no slouch. So, it took half a season for Slay to adjust to SEC play AND beat out a former Frosh All-SEC DB who is still #6 in the SEC in career Pick-6's.

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-10-2017, 09:16 AM
Yea, we should have redshirted a guy that would have never been here his senior year so we just got 1 year instead of 2. Redshirting guys that are going to leave for the NFL early is pointless.

2011: Played in all 12 regular season games and the Music City Bowl, seeing time on kickoff and punt coverage and in a reserve role at defensive back . . . Totaled 23 tackles, 1.0 tackles for loss, four pass breakups, a forced fumble and an interception returned for a touchdown . . . Collected three tackles in his Bulldog debut at Memphis . . . Played his best game for the Maroon and White at Georgia, notching three tackles, 1.0 tackles for loss, a forced fumble and a 72-yard interception return for a touchdown, the 10th-longest pick-six in school history . . . Totaled six tackles and a pass breakup in the homecoming win against UT Martin . . . Credited with four tackles and a quarterback hurry at No. 6 Arkansas . . . Registered two tackles and two pass breakups in the win over rival Ole Miss in the Battle for the Golden Egg.

Yea, that's got first round written all over it. No doubt Slay had the intangibles, but they weren't defined after his jr year. Even if he had gone after a redshirt year and one year playing, you would have lost the stats written above. Nothing to lose sleep over.

Reason2succeed
05-10-2017, 09:33 AM

Not to go off on you but this is the type of selfish thinking fans need to avoid. We ALWAYS need to look at what is best for the player not our $100 million dollar football program. MSU Football will be okay but this is these young men's one opportunity to radically change the trajectory of their entire family.

We might have been able to keep a guy for another year who made it to the NFL but that guy will know we held him back from a couple million dollars and future recruits will see how we operate. Not to mention but there is the big risk of injury in football that can put all of it in jeopardy.

I'm proud our coaches put players first and respect their wishes to turn pro.

Jarius
05-10-2017, 10:03 AM
2011: Played in all 12 regular season games and the Music City Bowl, seeing time on kickoff and punt coverage and in a reserve role at defensive back . . . Totaled 23 tackles, 1.0 tackles for loss, four pass breakups, a forced fumble and an interception returned for a touchdown . . . Collected three tackles in his Bulldog debut at Memphis . . . Played his best game for the Maroon and White at Georgia, notching three tackles, 1.0 tackles for loss, a forced fumble and a 72-yard interception return for a touchdown, the 10th-longest pick-six in school history . . . Totaled six tackles and a pass breakup in the homecoming win against UT Martin . . . Credited with four tackles and a quarterback hurry at No. 6 Arkansas . . . Registered two tackles and two pass breakups in the win over rival Ole Miss in the Battle for the Golden Egg.

Yea, that's got first round written all over it. No doubt Slay had the intangibles, but they weren't defined after his jr year. Even if he had gone after a redshirt year and one year playing, you would have lost the stats written above. Nothing to lose sleep over.

He would have had much better stats his first year if he would have redshirted. It takes a while to get acclimated to the speed of the game.

smootness
05-10-2017, 10:08 AM

Uh, 2011 is the year he would have redshirted.

He still would have played in 2012, and considering he was taken early in the 2nd round, I'm pretty confident he would not have been back for 2013. So we would have gotten what we got in 2012 and none of what we got in 2011.

So no, he should not have redshirted.

dawgs
05-10-2017, 10:41 AM
He would have had much better stats his first year if he would have redshirted. It takes a while to get acclimated to the speed of the game.

He was drafted after 2012 though. And was a 2nd round pick. He was t a guy that would've foolishly turned pro early, he would've made the smart decision going pro after 2012 if he had been redshirted in 2011 and instead of good depth and some solid play in 2011 to go with his 2012 season, we would've gotten nothing in 2011 to go with his 2012.

Jarius
05-10-2017, 10:49 AM
He was drafted after 2012 though. And was a 2nd round pick. He was t a guy that would've foolishly turned pro early, he would've made the smart decision going pro after 2012 if he had been redshirted in 2011 and instead of good depth and some solid play in 2011 to go with his 2012 season, we would've gotten nothing in 2011 to go with his 2012.

Exactly. That's why we should not have redshirted him. It's also why we should not have redshirted Leo Lewis. I don't care if he was out of shape. He was better than some people we played and now we are possibly going to get 2 years out of the guy instead of the possible 3 we would have gotten. If you have high ceiling guys that you know have the potential to leave early, redshirting them is ridiculous.