PDA

View Full Version : OM thoughts/questions?

BB30
05-09-2017, 09:44 AM
Didn't want to derail the coaching thread on OM and this may have already been discussed. How close do you think OM was to getting away with everything? I know for the last couple of years "rumors" that turned out to be completely true have been posted here on their cheating scandal. Were they ever going to get away with it clean? Did the Tunsil issue with the fight and loaner car just bring everything to light publicly as that seemed to be the start of the snowball?

Also, how long do you think they will stay away from cheating at the level they were once the sentence has been passed down? I don't know if some of the boosters can stay out of the game that long... kind of like a drug dealer that has been popped numerous times and keeps getting back in the game only to get hit again. Or do you think the new administration will put an end to it for at least a few years?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-09-2017, 09:52 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/p8Uw3hzdAE2dO/giphy.gif.

Bodaski
05-09-2017, 09:57 AM
Didn't want to derail the coaching thread on OM and this may have already been discussed. How close do you think OM was to getting away with everything? I know for the last couple of years "rumors" that turned out to be completely true have been posted here on their cheating scandal. Were they ever going to get away with it clean? Did the Tunsil issue with the fight and loaner car just bring everything to light publicly as that seemed to be the start of the snowball?

Also, how long do you think they will stay away from cheating at the level they were once the sentence has been passed down? I don't know if some of the boosters can stay out of the game that long... kind of like a drug dealer that has been popped numerous times and keeps getting back in the game only to get hit again. Or do you think the new administration will put an end to it for at least a few years?

I think the level of breaking the rules at OM has gotten completely out of hand. I'll go to my grave believing HF was hired for the purpose they have found themselves in now, to do whatever it takes in recruiting. At some point the IHL has got to grow some stones and give them an ultimatum to the leaders up there. I know with the amount of OM supporters in the legislature this will never happen, but it damn sure needs to.

JoseBrown
05-09-2017, 10:00 AM
They were not going to get away with it following the 2013 signing class in my opinion. They reached out too far and stepped on too many toes. Everyone knew it wasn't the grove bringing in the highest rated recruits across the nation. And I'm sure it didn't take much digging for the NCAA to get the goods on them.

They will never quit cheating. At that level I estimate it will be reigned in geographically for a while. And in total numbers of recruits they sign by those methods.

BB30
05-09-2017, 10:08 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/p8Uw3hzdAE2dO/giphy.gif.

Pretty simple to scroll past a post...

lamont
05-09-2017, 10:26 AM
The investigation was never over. That was a Bjork lie. The Tunsil fiasco just made things more public

Boodawg
05-09-2017, 10:31 AM
Pretty simple to scroll past a post...

+1,

Personally, I'd like to have posts like this on a daily basis, just to keep the issue in the forefront. Seems like it flares up every few weeks, only to die down again. I think this needs to stay in the limelight.

gravedigger
05-09-2017, 10:43 AM

Tunsil's stepdad made it what it is today. Draft night aggravated it.

I think it was gonna be 18-20 over 3 years until that with show cause for some assistants and no bowl ban.

Tunsils stepdad testimony opened Pandora's box. But make no mistake, the act stuff was going to make way more than 9 over 3

Eta: the ULL investigation and subsequent act fraud was the tipping point to the "getting away with everything" moment.

louisvilledawg
05-09-2017, 10:44 AM

Didnt the man they hire as AD have violations at every stop he was at before Ole Miss? Don't think the cheating will ever stop.

gravedigger
05-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Didnt the man they hire as AD have violations at every stop he was at before Ole Miss? Don't think the cheating will ever stop.

He may have but he wasn't on the NCAA radar like Sherrill, Tark, etc. He is now though. Freeze is even worse. Bet Orgeron gets some heat in the coming year too.

Reason2succeed
05-09-2017, 11:03 AM
A Hugh Freeze show cause won't stop the cheating.
LOIC won't stop the cheating.
The DP won't stop the cheating.
Getting kicked out of the SEC won't stop the cheating.
Only getting dropped to D2 and OM becoming a "basketball school" can stop their cheating.

Pollodawg
05-09-2017, 11:05 AM
I don't think it will be as crippling as we all want. I think the NCAA will likely accept the one year ban, but the schollies lost will be more substantial and do more damage. It'll take them a few years, maybe five or more, to get back to a bowl, but they won't be hurt for decades or anything.

Pollodawg
05-09-2017, 11:06 AM
Bowl bans don't mean crap. It's the most overplayed part of all of this. Even if they get a two year ban, bet few players leave.

Martianlander
05-09-2017, 11:16 AM

I think it was gonna be 18-20 over 3 years until that with show cause for some assistants and no bowl ban.

Tunsils stepdad testimony opened Pandora's box. But make no mistake, the act stuff was going to make way more than 9 over 3

Eta: the ULL investigation and subsequent act fraud was the tipping point to the "getting away with everything" moment.

Speaking of which: What ever happened in the Miller lawsuit? Is it still active? I haven't heard anything about it in a while.

Jarius
05-09-2017, 11:23 AM
I don't think it will be as crippling as we all want. I think the NCAA will likely accept the one year ban, but the schollies lost will be more substantial and do more damage. It'll take them a few years, maybe five or more, to get back to a bowl, but they won't be hurt for decades or anything.

A 3 or 4 year bowl ban is more likely than a 1 year bowl ban. You need to go through their violations again if you believe that. You are right about the scholarships being added to but they will have at least another year of a bowl game added. It's why they are going to prolong this as long as possible. They have to get into the season so their players won't transfer.

Jarius
05-09-2017, 11:28 AM
And the reason a multi year bowl ban hurts so bad is because 1.) players can transfer with no penalty and 2.) when you recruit players to sec programs you are telling them (whether true or not) that they are going to come in and help you win the sec and national titles. When you are recruiting against a multi year bowl ban you can't use that in your recruiting by pitch which hurts you a lot with players that actually could help you compete in the conference.

Really Clark?
05-09-2017, 11:31 AM

ULL wasn't the tipping point. They just got caught up in the UNM investigation. It was the investigation at UNM that found the direct link to Saunders. UNM lawyers were present at the very first interview at ULL with the NCAA enforcement staff. It was during that initial interview that ULL found out that they had an issue but it was a month or two later before they received a notification that they would be under investigation at that point.

Pollodawg
05-09-2017, 11:55 AM
A 3 or 4 year bowl ban is more likely than a 1 year bowl ban. You need to go through their violations again if you believe that. You are right about the scholarships being added to but they will have at least another year of a bowl game added. It's why they are going to prolong this as long as possible. They have to get into the season so their players won't transfer.

I get that. But how real is the chance of them transferring really? Did many transfers under Brewer?

louisvilledawg
05-09-2017, 12:04 PM

If it sets them back only 3-5 years with all the stuff they've done, I hope we open up the pocketbooks and buy us some blue chip cruits.

lamont
05-09-2017, 12:10 PM
If it sets them back only 3-5 years with all the stuff they've done, I hope we open up the pocketbooks and buy us some blue chip cruits.

What? OM hasn't even had a 10 win season by "opening the pocketbook". They are going on severe probation and never lost less than 3 regular season games

PassInterference
05-09-2017, 12:19 PM
They cheated like hell for the '16 class while they were under investigation. They slowed down for '17 to minimize the damage that's coming. As soon as the NCAA verdict is out, they and their new coach will be full throttle again.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-09-2017, 12:57 PM
some of us are the type that don't have to be reassured every 10 seconds.

Dawgowar
05-09-2017, 01:10 PM
If their recruiting keeps tanking, this shit can go for ten years before sanctions and I am happy. Deplete that roster any way possible. Let it ride as long as it takes. They already are on probation as it stands

Leeshouldveflanked
05-09-2017, 01:41 PM
Bowl bans don't mean crap. It's the most overplayed part of all of this. Even if they get a two year ban, bet few players leave.

^^^^^^ This.... going to a bowl from a player's perspective is way overrated unless it is a very cool destination.... Bowls are for the Alumni.

Jarius
05-09-2017, 01:48 PM
^^^^^^ This.... going to a bowl from a player's perspective is way overrated unless it is a very cool destination.... Bowls are for the Alumni.

It's not about the bowl game. It's about trying to sell SEC level recruits on your school when you are never even going to be eligible to play in the post season during their career. How many of our recruits (or any other SEC school's recruits) say "our recruiting class is going to bring a championship to ___________ university."? It's not true in most cases, but it's what these 17 year olds believe. It's very hard to recruit against that for as long as that postseason ban is in place, especially at a school like Ole Miss where they already suck. If they get a 3 year bowl ban, they aren't going to have anyone worth a shit sign with them for another couple of years. Add on top of that the fact that they are going to have a depleted roster due to a lack of scholarships, the only thing they will have to sell is immediate PT and no one with options wants immediate PT when half of your teammates are walk on level players.

Ari Gold
05-09-2017, 01:59 PM

Quick answer. They are ****ed

Ari Gold
05-09-2017, 02:02 PM

This is 100% false . Bowl bans mean a lot more than yuh think... these kids get REAL nice parting gifts at these bowls . Bigger the bowl better the gifts.
And kids will leave if they are allowed to transfer without having to sit .

Ari Gold
05-09-2017, 02:03 PM

If they get the same or close to the same punishment as USCw got it will be 7-10 years before they get back to being competitive week end week out
It took USCw 8 years s to get back to their brand of football.. and that was them still getting a few 5star guys each year.. umiss wont be getting big time players..

smootness
05-09-2017, 02:04 PM
It's not about the bowl game. It's about trying to sell SEC level recruits on your school when you are never even going to be eligible to play in the post season during their career. How many of our recruits (or any other SEC school's recruits) say "our recruiting class is going to bring a championship to ___________ university."? It's not true in most cases, but it's what these 17 year olds believe. It's very hard to recruit against that for as long as that postseason ban is in place, especially at a school like Ole Miss where they already suck. If they get a 3 year bowl ban, they aren't going to have anyone worth a shit sign with them for another couple of years. Add on top of that the fact that they are going to have a depleted roster due to a lack of scholarships, the only thing they will have to sell is immediate PT and no one with options wants immediate PT when half of your teammates are walk on level players.

Yep. Bowl bans aren't about removing something tangible, they're about removing hope.

Liverpooldawg
05-09-2017, 02:10 PM
If they get the same or close to the same punishment as USCw got it will be 7-10 years before they get back to being competitive week end week out
It took USCw 8 years s to get back to their brand of football.. and that was them still getting a few 5star guys each yet
SC still isn't back to what they were. They are getting close finally but they still aren't there yet. They were getting more they were getting more than a few 4&5s too. That is at a place that recruits itself.

smootness
05-09-2017, 02:13 PM
SC still isn't back to what they were. They are getting close finally but they still aren't there yet. They were getting more they were getting more than a few 4&5s too. That is at a place that recruits itself.

USC likely won't ever get back quite to what they were with Carroll there, and it doesn't have anything to do with the sanctions. It's not like they've been an unstoppable force for decades, save for the sanctions.

Jack Lambert
05-09-2017, 02:28 PM
If they had only flipped guys from State, Arkansas this would not be an issue but they bought guys who were committed to big time programs and ended up beating those big time programs with those guys. They are head down in a pool of deep shit and the NCAA is about to pull the air hose out from their mouth.

blacklistedbully
05-09-2017, 02:33 PM
This is 100% false . Bowl bans mean a lot more than yuh think... these kids get REAL nice parting gifts at these bowls . Bigger the bowl better the gifts.
And kids will leave if they are allowed to transfer with having to sit .

Agree. The vast majority of these kids aren't gonna sniff the NFL, so these bowl games are going to be highlights of their lives. And for a bunch of these kids it'll be the first time they've been far away from their homes their entire lives.

Think about how much college kids look forward to Spring Break. Bowl games are like Spring Break on steroids for the athletes, and they get parting gifts.

LockeDawg
05-09-2017, 02:38 PM
It took USCw 8 years s to get back to their brand of football.. and that was them still getting a few 5star guys each yetTrue, and much like Bama & USC's probation years, they will go through coaches like shit through a goose. A continuous coaching carousel, reduced scholarships, no bowl game for motivation, restricted recruiting visits, completely depleted depth, poor quality talent on the roster, etc. If it took 7-8 yrs for powerhouse/blue blood programs like Bama & USC to recover it'll take a bottom feeder like OM over a decade.

Jack Lambert
05-09-2017, 02:56 PM
True, and much like Bama & USC's probation years, they will go through coaches like shit through a goose. A continuous coaching carousel, reduced scholarships, no bowl game for motivation, restricted recruiting visits, completely depleted depth, poor quality talent on the roster, etc. If it took 7-8 yrs for powerhouse/blue blood programs like Bama & USC to recover it'll take a bottom feeder like OM over a decade.

The thing is probation or what ever ole miss gets they will continue to cheat and lie.

Bothrops
05-09-2017, 03:03 PM
They won't stay away from cheating for very long. It's part of who they are.

LockeDawg
05-09-2017, 03:30 PM
The thing is probation or what ever ole miss gets they will continue to cheat and lie.

And no one will notice or give a shit because they won't be able to put a product on the field worth a damn. The cheating/skirting the rules are ingrained in the culture of some programs and it will never change.

But when the talent is depleted, when the depth is diminished, and when the NFL pipeline dries up they won't have anything "attractive" to draw top recruits to their program. When the coaching carousel continues to turn like it did this year, they will have no traction to gain any momentum for YEARS. I'd love nothing more than to watch Hugh Freeze suffer, he will need the patience of Job to endure the plagues on the horizon. Locusts, pestilent's, famine is headed for the Grove - he may as well suit up in his armor and start singing "Onward Christian Soldier."

Mimi's Babies
05-09-2017, 06:34 PM

First.... WHEN Tunsil dropped the BONG on Om.... the NCAA had already been to at least two high schools and talked with recruits, in Febraury 2016.... That being said..... Tunsil was ANOTHER one of the Pieces that BROKE OM's back.... I was TOLD by a OM Booster that this crap in "some form" goes back to the 1960's. So I would guess that SOME of these boosters are going to be looking for SOMETHING to do on GAME day this fall... WILL OM REFUND their tickets???.....
I did locate an article in April of 2016 on Tunsil's step dad -- but have not located anything recent. Does anyone know the attorney or know how to get an update on this case from Oxfart.... I agree with gravedigger on parts of his statements.... ALL Coaches, AD and University will be HAMMERED with Show Causes at an individual level and as a university ath. program. Bjork, went there with baggage-- and boy does he have it now.... The ULL and Saunders -- he already received a SHOW Cause for his part both at ULL and OM... So the standard has been set already. The schollys lost should be nearly 45.... with 5 to 7 years.... Show causes for freeze 10+ years.... and BF should NEVER be allowed to coach. ML, as a mother I want to have my say in this one..... piece of trash -- and a federal charge could happen here. Remember that the coaches there are tied in with several illegal issues that are against federal law... one being hiring "escorts" for the weekend.... for MINORS.... Bjork.... well he gets what he deserves and Om another sad day to be a rebull...... as far as the recruits... NCAA has already had at least ONE recruit LIE to them and they caught him.... so he gets what he deserves also... It is SAD when a parent and high school coach sells the child to hell... GTHOM

Mimi's Babies
05-09-2017, 07:32 PM
Something to PONDER....

Should Om have to fire freezus.... would they ALSO pay off his contract for SILENCE.......

Turfdawg67
05-09-2017, 07:32 PM
They were not going to get away with it following the 2013 signing class in my opinion. They reached out too far and stepped on too many toes. Everyone knew it wasn't the grove bringing in the highest rated recruits across the nation. And I'm sure it didn't take much digging for the NCAA to get the goods on them.

They will never quit cheating. At that level I estimate it will be reigned in geographically for a while. And in total numbers of recruits they sign by those methods.

I disagree... I think due to it being all cash (i.e. no tracing), it's incredibly difficult to prove anything!! That why when there's smoke... you stay around for 4 years. And we all know some of these recruits got $100,000+, but you can't find those crimes. With all that said, I'm told the NCAA investigation was all but wrapped up until the great Mr. Miller got his butt kicked!! Speaking of which, where is all the other stuff Lindsey had on UM?? Oh yeah, $$$$!!

maroonmania
05-09-2017, 07:51 PM

You are correct, the biggest stick of dynamite in this whole ordeal was not draft night, it was before that. It was when HF totally pissed off Tunsil's stepdad by basically calling him a wife beater. Without that, they wouldn't have gotten off scott free but everything probably would have remained relatively minor.

TrapGame
05-09-2017, 07:58 PM
Something to PONDER....

Should Om have to fire freezus.... would they ALSO pay off his contract for SILENCE.......

Freeze will step down for the good of the university because the Devil (NCAA) is persecuting him. He'll give a Hell and brimstone farewell speech and the university will fulfill his contract out of the "goodness" of their hearts.

Central Pork
05-09-2017, 08:34 PM
I think Bucky accepted this job knowing things would eventually go to shit. Ole Miss went all out since 2013 to attempt to win a championship, and failed. Bucky will leave with a shitty legacy, but a loaded bank account. He got what he wanted. I doubt he writes a book on how to succeed in college coaching, however. He is owned and a loser.

Maroon Wizardry
05-09-2017, 08:57 PM
2 year bowl ban is 15 million dollars... that is pretty significant money that a decreasing fan base has to come up with the keep them above water. The money is there but it does hurt. I hope it hurts to the tune of 30 million dollars.

Reason2succeed
05-09-2017, 10:29 PM
And kids will leave if they are allowed to transfer without having to sit .

I'm actually surprised that OM hasn't scheduled a game in London against Oxford University to see which has the more beautiful campus.*** (I've been to the real Oxford and it's not even close.)

But seriously I'm surprised they haven't scheduled a destination game as a replacement for their bowl game. Penn State did it recently. I remember Bama going to Hawaii. Michigan just went to Rome and they're NOT on a bowl ban...yet.

DancingRabbit
05-09-2017, 11:36 PM
Just because

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/NQiwvr5RrzU6YBfDXJ91TDpukJU=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6999295/FreezeNCAAArrest.jpg

biggun
05-10-2017, 02:29 AM
What? OM hasn't even had a 10 win season by "opening the pocketbook". They are going on severe probation and never lost less than 3 regular season games

Hate to say it but Ole Piss went 10-3 in 2015, beating a weak OSU team in the Sugar Bowl for their 10th win.

lamont
05-10-2017, 05:24 AM
Hate to say it but Ole Piss went 10-3 in 2015, beating a weak OSU team in the Sugar Bowl for their 10th win.

Regular season. Most they ever won was 9.

State is the only SEC school in Mississippi to have a 10 win regular season

Mimi's Babies
05-10-2017, 06:34 AM
I disagree... I think due to it being all cash (i.e. no tracing), it's incredibly difficult to prove anything!! That why when there's smoke... you stay around for 4 years. And we all know some of these recruits got $100,000+, but you can't find those crimes. With all that said, I'm told the NCAA investigation was all but wrapped up until the great Mr. Miller got his butt kicked!! Speaking of which, where is all the other stuff Lindsey had on UM?? Oh yeah, $$$$!!

Psst..... There is at LEAST One bank involved in this mess.... and om caused it to nearly buckle..... and a missing ATM... NOT GOOD....

BB30
05-10-2017, 08:44 AM
some of us are the type that don't have to be reassured every 10 seconds.

Wasn't intended to be a reassurance post. Last I checked there was nothing in the op that said anything about will Ole Miss actually get hit hard... It was more or less meant to be a discussion about thoughts on the future and if any of yall thought they would continue to cheat/if they ever really were going to get away with it clean until the Tunsil issues. I don't need reassurance that they will get hammered.

I don't get on every day and do not get to see what has or has not been discussed specifically pertaining to this(IE this is where I come to get caught up on anything MSU sports/college football related. I thought that is what a sports message board was for). Again, if you do not want to read about it just politely scroll past any OM threads. Pretty simple.

32 Dive
05-10-2017, 09:52 AM
On the surface, the Bowl Ban may not seem like a big deal. But under these conditions, It could be nearly as crippling as scholarship losses. Here's why I'd reason as much...

Hypothetically speaking, Let's say they get a 3 year bowl ban. There's THREE weeks of practice, for each one of those bowls. Multiply that times three.

Their already diminishing talent (thanks to sanctions), and thusly reduced margin for error, will have NINE WEEKS of reps gone. Nine weeks of snaps gone, to retard the growth of the developmentally needy players, that make up the increasing majority of their roster.

That would be a detriment to any program, regardless of (shrinking) talent level.