PDA

View Full Version : Ranked #7 in D1 baseball today...only behind Florida in Sec...now

99jc
05-08-2017, 10:36 AM
We can start talking national seed...just keep winning baby.

VandelayIndustries
05-08-2017, 10:44 AM
#6 in Baseball America

smootness
05-08-2017, 10:47 AM
National seed choices are generally based largely on RPI, right? Or am I wrong on that?

I think if we win the SEC we'll get one. If we don't, I doubt we do.

MadDawg
05-08-2017, 11:17 AM
National seed choices are generally based largely on RPI, right? Or am I wrong on that?

Very doubtful we get the RPI needed to be a national seed, so I agree with you - winning the SEC is most likely only path.

GreenheadDawg
05-08-2017, 11:37 AM
So what are we thinking? We need to go 5-1 and Florida 3-3 or 4-2 for us to take the SEC

msstate7
05-08-2017, 11:39 AM
So what are we thinking? We need to go 5-1 and Florida 3-3 or 4-2 for us to take the SEC

Just go 5-1 and we'll be good imo. Of course, 5-1 is no easy task

smootness
05-08-2017, 11:57 AM

5-1 and we're probably at least co-champs. But we are currently tied with Florida. So if we are one game better over the next 2 weekends, we win it outright. Same record, and we share.

MetEdDawg
05-08-2017, 12:13 PM
Very doubtful we get the RPI needed to be a national seed, so I agree with you - winning the SEC is most likely only path.

We need everyone below to do as well as they can without passing us. We dropped to 16th in RPI because everyone we kept asking to lose ended up losing. So we need to win and we need everyone else to do as well as they possibly can without passing us.

smootness
05-08-2017, 12:17 PM
We need everyone below to do as well as they can without passing us. We dropped to 16th in RPI because everyone we kept asking to lose ended up losing. So we need to win and we need everyone else to do as well as they possibly can without passing us.

It's unlikely we can get our RPI beyond 10-12 or so, so we really just need to win the SEC. That will be our argument, not our RPI.

MarketingBully
05-08-2017, 01:46 PM
RPI isn't everything deciding host sites and national seeds.

SaintDawg
05-08-2017, 01:56 PM
Just go 5-1 and we'll be good imo. Of course, 5-1 is no easy task
We ended the season last year with 3 straight series sweeps. (different team and coach, I know) Just saying... Anything is possible with these guys. They may hiccup a bit, but I'm beginning to think that Coach Cann and the boys just don't know how to fail.

smootness
05-08-2017, 02:17 PM
RPI isn't everything deciding host sites and national seeds.

No, which is why I believe we will get a national seed by winning the SEC, even if we're not in the top 8 in the RPI. But the last few years, national seeds have lined up very close to the top 8 in RPI, haven't they?

curmudgeon
05-08-2017, 02:44 PM
The lowest RPI of a national seed is typically 11-13. Has been as low as 17 (Missouri State that year).

Political Hack
05-08-2017, 03:04 PM
The lowest RPI of a national seed is typically 11-13. Has been as low as 17 (Missouri State that year).

I think it's possible to see as many as 2 national seeds out of the SEC, which means we don't necessarily have to win it. But being 1st in the SEC would probably carry more weight in determining which SEC team gets the 1st national seed slot. At least that's my hope.

smootness
05-08-2017, 03:12 PM
I think it's possible to see as many as 2 national seeds out of the SEC, which means we don't necessarily have to win it. But being 1st in the SEC would probably carry more weight in determining which SEC team gets the 1st national seed slot. At least that's my hope.

Oregon St., UNC, Texas Tech, TCU, Louisville, and Clemson have been pretty entrenched as national seeds in projections. Florida is probably getting one at this point regardless of whether they win the conference. So there's really only one more up for grabs. Virginia and Arizona are right there, and if Kentucky finishes well, they could be, too.

I think we'd get it if we win the SEC, but otherwise I just don't see it.

Todd4State
05-08-2017, 04:23 PM

It's part of the equation. SOS, top 50 wins, record against top 50 teams, conference strength, record in last 10 games, winning your conference are all part of it as well. I do agree and have contended the entire time that winning the SEC would get us a National Seed. But I will also say that I think the SEC gets two National Seeds this year if I had to guess. So, I think a co-championship probably would be sufficient as well if we end up tied with Florida or Kentucky. We also have the SEC Tournament to do some things that could help our case as well although to me it usually seems like the SEC Tournament has very little bearing on what happens unless a darkhorse like an Alabama or Georgia were to win it and steal the automatic bid- assuming they even qualify for the SEC Tournament of course.

I think the SEC will get at least five host spots if I had to guess as well- MSU, Florida, Kentucky, LSU, Arkansas and then depending on how they finish out, I think South Carolina, Vanderbilt are still in contention for a sixth host spot but they both have work to do. Texas A&M, Auburn, and Ole Miss still could do it from a mathematical standpoint but I think those three have to essentially win out to host a regional at this point. And even then that may not be enough.

HSVDawg
05-08-2017, 04:25 PM

We weren't even top 10 in the RPI last year and got the #5 national seed. RPI factors in, but not as much as a conference championship.

Todd4State
05-08-2017, 04:26 PM

We probably wouldn't be the number two National Seed out of the SEC because I don't think we will be able to get our RPI high enough unless something weird happens where we won out and still didn't win the SEC. If we won out we would at worst be co-champions anyway from a mathematical standpoint since we're tied for first as it is.

I think winning the SEC would trump anything RPI. Winning the SEC trumps losing to Morehead State in February.

Political Hack
05-08-2017, 04:41 PM
We probably wouldn't be the number two National Seed out of the SEC because I don't think we will be able to get our RPI high enough unless something weird happens where we won out and still didn't win the SEC. If we won out we would at worst be co-champions anyway from a mathematical standpoint since we're tied for first as it is.

I think winning the SEC would trump anything RPI. Winning the SEC trumps losing to Morehead State in February.

That's my general thoughts. Win the SEC and it's not out of the question. Lose the next two series though and we might be begging to host a regional though. Lots can still happen.

The Federalist Engineer
05-08-2017, 05:15 PM
We can start talking national seed...just keep winning baby.

I'm being an ass hole, but I just want to talk about Georgia this week. They are 3-9 at home and 6-6 on the road, we got them in Athens and they just took out the Darling Wildcats

smootness
05-08-2017, 05:17 PM
We weren't even top 10 in the RPI last year and got the #5 national seed. RPI factors in, but not as much as a conference championship.

I said in the post you quoted that if we win the SEC I think we'll be a national seed.

HSVDawg
05-08-2017, 05:20 PM
I said in the post you quoted that if we win the SEC I think we'll be a national seed.

I gotcha. My bad.

Jack Lambert
05-08-2017, 05:39 PM
Is it just me or did we have this conversation about this time last year?

msbulldog
05-08-2017, 05:44 PM
Is it just me or did we have this conversation about this time last year?

Sounds familiar Jack, but I'm glad we're having this discussion again.

WSOPdawg
05-08-2017, 06:42 PM
Oregon St., UNC, Texas Tech, TCU, Louisville, and Clemson have been pretty entrenched as national seeds in projections. Florida is probably getting one at this point regardless of whether they win the conference. So there's really only one more up for grabs. Virginia and Arizona are right there, and if Kentucky finishes well, they could be, too.

I think we'd get it if we win the SEC, but otherwise I just don't see it.

I think with UNC, L'ville and Clemson garnering national seeds, the committee would be hard pressed to give a 4th ACC school (Virginia) a national seed. That may very well open the door for 2 SEC schools.

Todd4State
05-08-2017, 06:42 PM
That's my general thoughts. Win the SEC and it's not out of the question. Lose the next two series though and we might be begging to host a regional though. Lots can still happen.

I think we win one more game and we will be on the hosting bubble, two more we will be on the bubble but on the right side and I think three more probably locks up a hosting bid.

Activated Alpha
05-08-2017, 06:48 PM
I think we win one more game and we will be on the hosting bubble, two more we will be on the bubble but on the right side and I think three more probably locks up a hosting bid.

You mean national or just a regional host because why hasn't our resume locked that up already?

Todd4State
05-08-2017, 07:26 PM
You mean national or just a regional host because why hasn't our resume locked that up already?

Just a regional. We haven't locked it up because we have four games against top 100 Georgia and top 200 Troy, and a lot of moving parts nationally.

JEDdawg 12
05-08-2017, 08:41 PM
A possible national seed is nice and all, and would definitely be great but how are we all feeling about pitching and depth come tourney time?? Especially pilk, he just hasn't looked sharp lately for our "ace". Command and pitch count has definitely looked suspect as of late. He's key for us to make a deep run, eat some quality innings and save the bullpen. Just my opinion.

Todd4State
05-08-2017, 09:39 PM
A possible national seed is nice and all, and would definitely be great but how are we all feeling about pitching and depth come tourney time?? Especially pilk, he just hasn't looked sharp lately for our "ace". Command and pitch count has definitely looked suspect as of late. He's key for us to make a deep run, eat some quality innings and save the bullpen. Just my opinion.

You don't need as much depth as you used to under the old six team format. SEC Tournament- we're probably in trouble.

But if you go through the loser's bracket in a regional that's only five games max if my math is right. We're Johnny Wholestaff after game one anyway.

The thing about Pilkington to remember is in a regional we're playing OOC competition and not SEC competition. That's where going through a season of the SEC helps sometimes.

In a SR we would only play three games max. That's pretty much like a SEC weekend series in terms of games.

In Omaha the schedule is really spread out- I've seen teams win Omaha with two quality starters and a good bullpen and we made it to the finals with one.

What I think Cann and Henderson might do- this is their first year so we'll see- I think we're going to see that saving Self and Price helped us out and we'll start to see them get stretched out some. Like we did with Self against A&M. If Gordon pitches like he did against A&M that's another quality arm to go with Price, Self, and Barlow. If McQuary keeps getting better and better like he has that's another legit starter. Billingsley matches up fine with most non-SEC teams third guy. Plumlee has looked pretty good against OOC teams as well. His ERA is over 5 against SEC teams but it's still under 4 on the season.

If we're in Starkville for the regional that will help us out a lot too.

Jack Lambert
05-08-2017, 09:58 PM
You don't need as much depth as you used to under the old six team format. SEC Tournament- we're probably in trouble.

But if you go through the loser's bracket in a regional that's only five games max if my math is right. We're Johnny Wholestaff after game one anyway.

The thing about Pilkington to remember is in a regional we're playing OOC competition and not SEC competition. That's where going through a season of the SEC helps sometimes.

In a SR we would only play three games max. That's pretty much like a SEC weekend series in terms of games.

In Omaha the schedule is really spread out- I've seen teams win Omaha with two quality starters and a good bullpen and we made it to the finals with one.

What I think Cann and Henderson might do- this is their first year so we'll see- I think we're going to see that saving Self and Price helped us out and we'll start to see them get stretched out some. Like we did with Self against A&M. If Gordon pitches like he did against A&M that's another quality arm to go with Price, Self, and Barlow. If McQuary keeps getting better and better like he has that's another legit starter. Billingsley matches up fine with most non-SEC teams third guy. Plumlee has looked pretty good against OOC teams as well. His ERA is over 5 against SEC teams but it's still under 4 on the season.

Our bats will sooner or later in almost every game will make the other teams pitchers look bad. Just have to have patients.

Noxdog
05-08-2017, 09:59 PM

Seems like a while since he pitched.

confucius say
05-08-2017, 10:05 PM
Seems like a while since he pitched.

He pitched against auburn and Aggie. Wasn't as good as he was earlier in the year.

Key for our staff is just don't walk people. We have walked/hit the most batters in the league. Our pitchers very seldom have just gotten shelled.

Noxdog
05-08-2017, 10:17 PM
He pitched against auburn and Aggie. Wasn't as good as he was earlier in the year.

Key for our staff is just don't walk people. We have walked/hit the most batters in the league. Our pitchers very seldom have just gotten shelled.

OK, I did not really get to watch the Thurs nite game.

Todd4State
05-08-2017, 11:26 PM
Our bats will sooner or later in almost every game will make the other teams pitchers look bad. Just have to have patients.

Our hitting is a strength. Rooker alone can change a game against anyone and there aren't very many teams with a player of his caliber. I think we have a good mix of guys that have some speed like Mangum and some guys that have some power like Rooker. We also have some guys like LA and Poole that struggle sometimes but also have moments where they do some damage. Brown and Gridley are good veteran players that are hitting over .300 for us and Stovall is a good player when he is healthy. Hopefully we get Stovall back because our lineup and offense is better with him.

We're also pretty strong defensively and that helps too.