PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie Ducksworth

mcain31
05-03-2017, 02:45 PM
Did any of you guys watch him play in the 80s? I've heard that he may have been better than Marcus Dupre.

tcdog70
05-03-2017, 02:54 PM
In Mississippi high school football there was nobody better than Dupree. ever.

Bully13
05-03-2017, 03:04 PM

What about sweetness?

msstate7
05-03-2017, 03:05 PM

You didn't see Akers

Sincerely,
Rick Cleveland

Commercecomet24
05-03-2017, 03:09 PM
Did any of you guys watch him play in the 80s? I've heard that he may have been better than Marcus Dupre.

I saw him and 2 of my cousins played with him at West. He was really good but he wasn't Marcus. Tragic end to his life.

smootness
05-03-2017, 03:09 PM
What about sweetness?

With all due respect to him, no. All I needed to see was his HS tape and highlights from his freshman year at Oklahoma to convince me he's the most talented RB of all time. Arguably the most talented football player ever, period. 6'3", 230, with that kind of speed and agility? Nope.

Jack Lambert
05-03-2017, 03:10 PM
What about sweetness?

If Walter had played from 7th grade through he would have been better. I think he only played two years due to financial reason with the family.

ababyatemydingo
05-03-2017, 03:12 PM

I saw Dupree play in person, and I played against Ducksworth for 2 years. Ducksworth was no Dupree. Not even close. Ronnie Ducksworth was pure power. Dupree was pure power, plus he was a 228 lb gazelle

tcdog70
05-03-2017, 03:16 PM
If you watched 30-30 on Dupree-the ref that got run over was Me--I saw him up close and personal several times. in 25 years of officiating nobody was close.

tcdog70
05-03-2017, 03:18 PM
You didn't see Akers

Sincerely,
Rick Cleveland

I've seen Akers and he would make a good backup to MD

Cooterpoot
05-03-2017, 03:29 PM
His son or nephew or some relative was the big RB at Seminary several years back that we offered. He got in trouble with the law and never made it to college.

BulldogtheMS
05-03-2017, 03:36 PM
Two different style backs. I've watch old film on Duck in the same field house he practiced out of. Not saying Marcus wasn't, but Duck was a true power back. My neighbor played along side him at west so I get to hear the old war stories quite often. His recount of the senior season sounds like it own 30 on 30. From the film I've seen, Marcus was a good bit quicker out of the back field. Hard to believe little ol Jones co had 2 incredible rb's in less than 3-5 years. John Bond played with the other rb from Jones co.

LC Dawg
05-03-2017, 04:03 PM
I saw Ducksworth play in high school and he was a great running back but I didn't think I was watching the greatest running back of all time.
I never saw Dupree play in person but when I see him on film I think I am watching the greatest running back of all time.

1bigdawg
05-03-2017, 05:16 PM
I saw Payton, Dupree and Ducksworth play. Nobody was more talented than Dupree and it is not close.

As a freshman in high school, Dupree at 200 pounds finished second in the 100 yard dash to an Olympic gold medalist by 1 yard. He returned all but one or two kickoffs that were foolish enough to kick to him for touchdowns. He had size, near Olympic speed and incredible field vision. Think of Herschel Walker, but with better vision.

PS: I am not from Philadelphia (no homerism).

Uncle Ruckus
05-03-2017, 06:24 PM
His son or nephew or some relative was the big RB at Seminary several years back that we offered. He got in trouble with the law and never made it to college.
You're talking about my friend, Tim Holloway. He did make it to college and Croom screwed him over at Jones. He did his two years at JCJC and a couple of days before signing day he told Tim (and Archie Sims) he would not be getting a LOI. Tim had already turned down WVU and Memphis offers a few days prior. He was left scrambling and signed with Central Arkansas. He had a good college career, got his degree and has a pretty successful career away from football. Now, as we got older we kind of lost touch, but this was 3-4 years ago. He's a good dude who made a bad decision.

BulldogtheMS
05-03-2017, 07:44 PM
You're talking about my friend, Tim Holloway. He did make it to college and Croom screwed him over at Jones. He did his two years at JCJC and a couple of days before signing day he told Tim (and Archie Sims) he would not be getting a LOI. Tim had already turned down WVU and Memphis offers a few days prior. He was left scrambling and signed with Central Arkansas. He had a good college career, got his degree and has a pretty successful career away from football. Now, as we got older we kind of lost touch, but this was 3-4 years ago. He's a good dude who made a bad decision.

And Archie went on to WV. Sucked to see that turn out the way it did. I was sure hoping Holloway and Archie would end up at state.

tcdog70
05-03-2017, 09:20 PM
Buford Mcgee, Freddie Joe Nunn and Keiffer Mcgee were all bad ass runners in HighSchool and had great College careers. All came from small schools. Freddie Joe moved to defense. Zo Miller another great HS runner. he very seldom played the second half as they usually beat the crap out of everyone.

FISHDAWG
05-04-2017, 07:40 AM
Two different style backs. I've watch old film on Duck in the same field house he practiced out of. Not saying Marcus wasn't, but Duck was a true power back. My neighbor played along side him at west so I get to hear the old war stories quite often. His recount of the senior season sounds like it own 30 on 30. From the film I've seen, Marcus was a good bit quicker out of the back field. Hard to believe little ol Jones co had 2 incredible rb's in less than 3-5 years. John Bond played with the other rb from Jones co.

that RB was Donald Ray King and I was his left tackle .... I played against Ronnie's cousin - Adolf Ducksworth who was a pretty good back as well. Seems like there were several athletes from that family

Saltydog
05-04-2017, 08:30 AM
He definitely wasn't as good as Dupree but he was a hell'uva football player in his on right.

The era of the big backs in the early 80's produced some major talent. Just think, there was Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, Dupree, Eric Dickerson, etc.

Cooterpoot
05-04-2017, 08:52 AM

Yeah, I remember all of that. Good to know he turned it around.

tcdog70
05-04-2017, 11:14 AM
James Otis (the Hoss) Doss-from West Point and MSU. a goodun

IMissJack
05-04-2017, 06:38 PM
James Otis (the Hoss) Doss-from West Point and MSU. a goodun

Loved to hear Jack Cristil say James Otis Doss and Donald Ray King...

ETA: Al Ricky Edwards