PDA

View Full Version : This will make a few heads explode ..........

Liverpooldawg
05-03-2017, 11:07 AM
around here. I happen to think it's the truth.

https://www.seccountry.com/mississippi-state/dan-mullen-sec-saban-marcus-spears

msstate7
05-03-2017, 11:10 AM
It's pretty bad the only ones that don't appreciate the job Mullen has done here are a LOUD MINORITY of the miss state fan base. Even OM fans recognize the great job bc they desperately want him gone

TStationDawg
05-03-2017, 11:21 AM
I hate this quote " He’s accomplished all of that while recruiting in a state that doesn’t produce a ton of top college football talent." Its not like we're the Dakota's for crying out loud.

smootness
05-03-2017, 12:00 PM
I hate this quote " He’s accomplished all of that while recruiting in a state that doesn’t produce a ton of top college football talent." Its not like we're the Dakota's for crying out loud.

No, but it's still an accurate statement.

Political Hack
05-03-2017, 12:03 PM
No, but it's still an accurate statement.

It's population based though. Atlanta metro region offers more talent than Ms, but if you look at the populations of both it makes sense. Per capita, I bet MS puts out more talent than most other states.

Reason2succeed
05-03-2017, 12:05 PM
Germans. Heads have already exploded on the same topic.

Random Poster will arrive and poo poo the job Mullen has done in t-minus 10,9,8,7.....

TStationDawg
05-03-2017, 12:05 PM
how do you figure? I am of the opinion MS has the talent. Finding it, and finding it qualified, is the hard part. In that case, that quote has credence, but by PURE talent alone, its there.

shoeless joe
05-03-2017, 12:07 PM
how do you figure? I am of the opinion MS has the talent. Finding it, and finding it qualified, is the hard part. In that case, that quote has credence, but by PURE talent alone, its there.

So MS lacks upper tier high school coaching?

BeardoMSU
05-03-2017, 12:10 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/wosht.gif

TStationDawg
05-03-2017, 12:11 PM

I said nothing of coaching. Not what I was referring to. It's alot of factors in my mind. Academic qualification is what I was referring to. But coaching could be part of the equation as well. I'm not in the know enough down there anymore to make that judgement.

HSVDawg
05-03-2017, 12:27 PM

Well, the Dakotas don't have two Power 5 schools either. There are around 15-18 legitimate SEC players from MS each cycle, and some lean years there are less than that. And by "legitmate SEC players", I mean guys that could at least climb to #2 on an SEC depth chart (not even starters). Also, there are always 1-2 guys minimum in that 15-18 players that don't qualify in spite of their ability, and never see a 4-year college campus. When it all shakes out, you're left with 7-8 guys per SEC school in MS per recruiting cycle that can contribute, and only 3-4 potential starters each cycle. On average, that's enough to fill out about half of your depth chart under absolutely ideal circumstances. There absolutely is a talent shortage where demand is much greater than supply with Mississippi high school players.

lamont
05-03-2017, 12:44 PM
I remember when they wrote these articles about what a good job Croom was doing

We went 5-7 in the regular season last year. Lost to South Alabama and BYU. We won our bowl game by 1 point over a 6-6 nobody out of the MAC

smootness
05-03-2017, 12:51 PM
It's population based though. Atlanta metro region offers more talent than Ms, but if you look at the populations of both it makes sense. Per capita, I bet MS puts out more talent than most other states.

Yes....and why would per capita matter? Regardless of the reason, MS does not produce a ton of top college football talent. This makes it difficult to build a championship-level team largely on the backs of MS talent. Why would a per capita figure matter?

If Rhode Island were phenomenal at producing football talent per capita, it still would make it incredibly tough for a Rhode Island school to compete nationally...because it has a very small population, thus few top football players.

smootness
05-03-2017, 12:52 PM

Oh geez

LockeDawg
05-03-2017, 12:52 PM

We went 5-7 in the regular season last year. Lost to South Alabama and BYU. We won our bowl game by 1 point over a 6-6 nobody out of the MAC

Who's your #2 SEC coach behind Saban?

AROB44
05-03-2017, 12:54 PM

And.....quickly RP reminds us of how crappy Mullen really is. Just like clock work....the agenda lives!!!!

TrapGame
05-03-2017, 12:59 PM

And our defense was absolute diarrhea. If Manny had stayed we would have beaten BYU, and USA.

dawgs
05-03-2017, 01:00 PM
It's pretty bad the only ones that don't appreciate the job Mullen has done here are a LOUD MINORITY of the miss state fan base. Even OM fans recognize the great job bc they desperately want him gone

I don't think anyone argues he's done a bad job. In a big picture sense, most everyone thinks he's done a pretty great job. But there's also a few glaring faults that seem to hold him back from being an even better coach and getting even better results. Tightening up in big games (outside a 3 game run in 2014) is a problem. Not being able to recognize hevesy's shortcomings is a problem. The playcalling and player usage is sometimes a problem (how can other RBs come in and learn a system and be productive RBs in their freshman season, but it takes 2+ seasons for our talented RBs to learn the system or how to pass block while we run a 160 lb between the tackles over and over) (he relied way too much on the QB dive on every 3rd and 5 or less in 2014-2015).

Overall great job, but there's some relatively minor adjustments many think he could make and be that much better.

Tripp McNeely
05-03-2017, 01:02 PM

Who was writing those articles???

Jarius
05-03-2017, 01:02 PM

There was an agenda for the media with Croom. They wanted him to succeed for obvious reasons. The media doesn't have that same feeling towards Mullen. Probably the exact opposite honestly, so that's probably a bad comparison.

Todd4State
05-03-2017, 01:05 PM
I recognize what Dan has done here but I also don't think he is above reproach either. The fact that he had to make some changes in the offseason to get his bonus speaks to that. I criticize only because I want Dan- and therefore MSU- to be the best that they can be.

It's sort of like when Ron Polk was our coach. He did a good job but he also did some things they held us back. I had people on then Sixpack telling me I didn't know what I was talking about and etc. but we hired Cohen who rebuilt the program and took us further than Polk did- and now has handed the program off to an even better head coach.

Anyway my point is it doesn't have to be extreme anti or extreme pro Dan. And if he makes changes and he has at times I praise him for doing so.

Political Hack
05-03-2017, 01:06 PM
Yes....and why would per capita matter? Regardless of the reason, MS does not produce a ton of top college football talent. This makes it difficult to build a championship-level team largely on the backs of MS talent. Why would a per capita figure matter?

If Rhode Island were phenomenal at producing football talent per capita, it still would make it incredibly tough for a Rhode Island school to compete nationally...because it has a very small population, thus few top football players.

State pride.

Showing Ms coaches are doing just as good of a job as coaches in other states.

Illustrating that we have to go out of state recruiting some to have sustained success.

Comparing geographical dispersion of talent concentrations to help establish a recruiting budget.

I'm sure I could think of more, but that's a few reasons why it matters.

Todd4State
05-03-2017, 01:08 PM
Who was writing those articles???

Sports Illustrated wrote one in the 75th year of the SEC special edition issue putting Croom up there with Bear Bryant, Steve Spurrier and I can't remember who else as one of the greatest coaches of all time. And ESPN has done special shows about Croom among other things.

And I'm fine with that because even though he wasn't a great coach that's good publicity for MSU.

smootness
05-03-2017, 01:49 PM
State pride.

Showing Ms coaches are doing just as good of a job as coaches in other states.

Illustrating that we have to go out of state recruiting some to have sustained success.

Comparing geographical dispersion of talent concentrations to help establish a recruiting budget.

I'm sure I could think of more, but that's a few reasons why it matters.

I meant in relation to the discussion.

Of course it's great that the state produces so much talent in relation to population. My point is, how does that make it easier to build a team out of that talent? The argument in the article is that because MS doesn't produce a ton of top college football talent, it is a more difficult task to build a winner at State. And he is correct in that. The population within the state, and the effects on the sheer number of talented football players, is a hindrance.

Johnson85
05-03-2017, 02:07 PM

No doubt last season was a shit show. How many coaches can you find in the power 5 conferences that have made it 9 years without a shitshow season after getting the program turned around?

Which SEC coach other than Saban do you predict is going to make it 9 years without a shit show season?

Tbonewannabe
05-03-2017, 02:25 PM
And our defense was absolute diarrhea. If Manny had stayed we would have beaten BYU, and USA.

And that would have gotten us to 7-5 regular season, 8-5 with a bowl game in a rebuilding year. Mullen is doing a great job for being above board. I am sure if he was willing to go the Beaver route we could be a 10 win school on the regular but also staring down the barrel of the NCAA. Mullen is laying a good foundation. We now have regular bowl games which we didn't before he got here and an occasional 9-10 win season. The next step is to make the 9-10 win season more the norm. UNM buying players out from under us set the progress back a little but hopefully the hammer dropping will push us further ahead.

Maroons
05-03-2017, 02:31 PM

Absolutely yes. In general, the high school coaching in MS is light years behind some of the surrounding states.

TrapGame
05-03-2017, 02:40 PM
And that would have gotten us to 7-5 regular season, 8-5 with a bowl game in a rebuilding year. Mullen is doing a great job for being above board. I am sure if he was willing to go the Beaver route we could be a 10 win school on the regular but also staring down the barrel of the NCAA. Mullen is laying a good foundation. We now have regular bowl games which we didn't before he got here and an occasional 9-10 win season. The next step is to make the 9-10 win season more the norm. UNM buying players out from under us set the progress back a little but hopefully the hammer dropping will push us further ahead.

Precisely. UM's hatred of Mullen just cost them the state and any football relevance for a decade.

Bothrops
05-03-2017, 02:40 PM
I hate this quote " He?s accomplished all of that while recruiting in a state that doesn?t produce a ton of top college football talent." Its not like we're the Dakota's for crying out loud.

It's only because MS has about 3 million people. That's about half the population of Metro Atlanta, Houston and DFW, for the entire state. The problem is, when people read that stuff they don't know any better than to think it's a Mississippi problem because of the "everything in MS sucks" stigma. They need to clarify the population shortfall in MS, if they're going to make statements like that.

Tbonewannabe
05-03-2017, 02:43 PM
Precisely. UM's hatred of Mullen just cost them the state and any football relevance for a decade.

In the end it might benefit us with UNM getting hammered back into the stone ages. We will be THE Mississippi State University and they can be university of mississippi. Can we start spelling out Mississippi and dotting the I since we are going to mimic the state domination like Ohio State?

Tbonewannabe
05-03-2017, 02:45 PM
It's only because MS has about 3 million people. That's about half the population of Metro Atlanta, Houston and DFW, for the entire state. The problem is, when people read that stuff they don't know any better than to think it's a Mississippi problem because of the "everything in MS sucks" stigma. They need to clarify the population shortfall in MS, if they're going to make statements like that.

Also Alabama has roughly double the population of MS so we need to be the 1st choice in MS, 2nd choice in Louisiana and Tennessee, and 3rd choice in Alabama. There are some really good players that are ending up other places.

TrapGame
05-03-2017, 02:45 PM
In the end it might benefit us with UNM getting hammered back into the stone ages. We will be THE Mississippi State University and they can be university of mississippi. Can we start spelling out Mississippi and dotting the I since we are going to mimic the state domination like Ohio State?

The LSU of Mississippi. I know some scoff at that but it really is a possibility once om is castrated by the NCAA.

Dawg61
05-03-2017, 02:47 PM

Can't count Croom

Dawg61
05-03-2017, 02:50 PM
Sports Illustrated wrote one in the 75th year of the SEC special edition issue putting Croom up there with Bear Bryant, Steve Spurrier and I can't remember who else as one of the greatest coaches of all time.

Yea calling bullshit on this. They might have called Croom one of the most "influential" coaches for the SEC All-Time cause he was the first AA hired as head coach in the SEC but no ****ing way did they call him one of the greatest coaches of all time. Hahahaha

Mimi's Babies
05-03-2017, 03:05 PM
The LSU of Mississippi. I know some scoff at that but it really is a possibility once om is castrated by the NCAA.

Coming soon to a TOWN nearest to you..... (78 miles to the North and West)

tcdog70
05-03-2017, 03:10 PM
arguably, the best ever

QB--Brett Favre-A Manning-Air McNair-
WR-Jerry Rice-Bambi-Lance Alworth
RB-Sweetness Payton
ol--Jackie Slater-Gene Hickerson
dbs-Lem Barney-Jimmy patton-Billy Stacy

not much talent from the SIP--right***

thf24
05-03-2017, 03:16 PM

Like I've said before, it's not going to happen. We'll probably get two or three players a year while they're down that they would have gotten otherwise (which can and will make a difference, don't get me wrong), but it's not going to be an LSU-type situation where we get 90% or more of the in-state players we want year in and year out. Many of the players they would have gotten will just go to out of state programs with a culture similar to OM's instead of coming to us.

blacklistedbully
05-03-2017, 03:17 PM
I don't think anyone argues he's done a bad job. In a big picture sense, most everyone thinks he's done a pretty great job. But there's also a few glaring faults that seem to hold him back from being an even better coach and getting even better results. Tightening up in big games (outside a 3 game run in 2014) is a problem. Not being able to recognize hevesy's shortcomings is a problem. The playcalling and player usage is sometimes a problem (how can other RBs come in and learn a system and be productive RBs in their freshman season, but it takes 2+ seasons for our talented RBs to learn the system or how to pass block while we run a 160 lb between the tackles over and over) (he relied way too much on the QB dive on every 3rd and 5 or less in 2014-2015).

Overall great job, but there's some relatively minor adjustments many think he could make and be that much better.

EXACTLY!!! Anybody else getting annoyed with these stupid threads where somebody comes on with another, "I'm a better fan than you, and this article or stat proves it" BS, and proceeds to argue the same moronic straw-man argument of, "you guys think Mullen is terrible/sucks/is a bad coach, etc"? Particularly when all we're really saying is he's done an overall great job, but appears to have glaring weaknesses that keep us from taking the next step up, and we're frustrated with his apparent stubbornness in that he makes the same mistakes year-after-year unless the problem resolves itself by a player graduating or getting injured. We also have criticized his handling of the rumors (true or not) of him flirting with other schools, and the impact it's probably had on recruiting.

But it doesn't matter how much we try to clarify our position and point out the not-so-subtle nuances...some people are just incapable of grasping them.

I'm sure i'll be branded a "Mullen-hater" by some on here just for the above comments. But here's the truth...same as it's always been:

Mullen has done wonderful, record-setting things at Mississippi State. He has elevated our football program to a degree we haven't seen since McKeen. But he DOES have flaws, as do most coaches...even Saban. I am in the group that believes Mullen's flaws have placed an artificial ceiling on what he can accomplish here. It is frustrating because these are not flaws that should be hard to correct. He just needs to be more open to learning from his mistakes.

All this said, were he to leave, we'd probably have a tough time finding a replacement who could do as well as he has overall. While he is here, I suspect we'll continue to be a middle-of-the-pack SEC team, that every-so-often gives the big-boys a run-for-their-money, and rarely comes out as the bottom-feeder, something we have plenty of in our football history.

But Dan's success here, combined with the "what-ifs" we have had concerning his aforementioned flaws have made many of us hungry for more, and believing we can actually achieve even more of it if he stops occasionally stepping on his own dick.

Gutter Cobreh
05-03-2017, 03:25 PM
No doubt last season was a shit show. How many coaches can you find in the power 5 conferences that have made it 9 years without a shitshow season after getting the program turned around?

Which SEC coach other than Saban do you predict is going to make it 9 years without a shit show season?

Consecutive bowl streaks:

Florida State (35)
Virginia Tech (24)
Georgia (20)
Oklahoma (18)
LSU (17)
Boise State(15)
Wisconsin (15)
Alabama (13)
Brigham Young (12)
Clemson (12)
Oklahoma State (11)
Nebraska (9)
Pittsburgh (9)
Stanford (8)
Texas A&M (8)
Baylor (7)
Kansas State (7)
Louisville (7)
Mississippi State (7)
San Diego State (7)
Washington (7)

Pre-Mullen - our longest stretch of bowl games was 3 years. I realize bowl games have expanded, but we went to 1 bowl game (Liberty) in the 9 years prior.

I'd say he has established a new norm for our program. Can he take us to another level than the one he's established is still up for debate, but there are other programs that have had longer success than we have (with 4 of those being SEC schools).

Tbonewannabe
05-03-2017, 03:39 PM
EXACTLY!!! Anybody else getting annoyed with these stupid threads where somebody comes on with another, "I'm a better fan than you, and this article or stat proves it" BS, and proceeds to argue the same moronic straw-man argument of, "you guys think Mullen is terrible/sucks/is a bad coach, etc"? Particularly when all we're really saying is he's done an overall great job, but appears to have glaring weaknesses that keep us from taking the next step up, and we're frustrated with his apparent stubbornness in that he makes the same mistakes year-after-year unless the problem resolves itself by a player graduating or getting injured. We also have criticized his handling of the rumors (true or not) of him flirting with other schools, and the impact it's probably had on recruiting.

But it doesn't matter how much we try to clarify our position and point out the not-so-subtle nuances...some people are just incapable of grasping them.

I'm sure i'll be branded a "Mullen-hater" by some on here just for the above comments. But here's the truth...same as it's always been:

Mullen has done wonderful, record-setting things at Mississippi State. He has elevated our football program to a degree we haven't seen since McKeen. But he DOES have flaws, as do most coaches...even Saban. I am in the group that believes Mullen's flaws have placed an artificial ceiling on what he can accomplish here. It is frustrating because these are not flaws that should be hard to correct. He just needs to be more open to learning from his mistakes.

All this said, were he to leave, we'd probably have a tough time finding a replacement who could do as well as he has overall. While he is here, I suspect we'll continue to be a middle-of-the-pack SEC team, that every-so-often gives the big-boys a run-for-their-money, and rarely comes out as the bottom-feeder, something we have plenty of in our football history.

But Dan's success here, combined with the "what-ifs" we have had concerning his aforementioned flaws have made many of us hungry for more, and believing we can actually achieve even more it if he stops occasionally stepping on his own dick.

Hopefully hiring Grantham at least gets the heal off his dick, maybe just the toes. He did make several positive changes this year so hopefully letting Grantham do his thing allows him to concentrate on improving other aspects of the program like special teams.

BrunswickDawg
05-03-2017, 03:46 PM

Everyone has them. Richt had his shit show season in season '10 - 6-6, barely making a bowl, then lost the Liberty Bowl in a 10-6 shitfest to UCF. Ends up 6-7.

confucius say
05-03-2017, 04:40 PM

But Dan's success here, combined with the "what-ifs" we have had concerning his aforementioned flaws have made many of us hungry for more, and believing we can actually achieve even more of it if he stops occasionally stepping on his own dick.

I am pro dan and have no problem with your criticisms. Agree with most. The problem I and others have is not with you. It's with those random posters on here who are on record as saying they realize we cant fire dan, but would prefer dan leave.

Dawg61
05-03-2017, 05:14 PM

Nobody claims Mullen is perfect. We all recognize his flaws. The problem is the posters that are trying their absolute damnedest for the last two plus years to get him to leave because you nor nobody else can name me 5 other coaches that have done a better turnaround job than Dan Mullen in the last twenty years. The WORST thing we could do for our program is run him outta town. There might not be a single coach that has done more with less than Dan has in the last twenty years and that isn't enough for some. That is the problem. Those "fans" are sabotaging our football program and it makes me think they aren't really looking out for what is best for our program and our University.

TaleofTwoDogs
05-03-2017, 05:16 PM
Ok, here's the math based on per capita by state using the 2016 NFL rosters where players identified their home states

(DATA - all 784 active NFL players, results do not include players from outside the USA)

Results SEC states only
Ranked by highest per capita per total NFL players; number to the right is ratio of state population (in 000s) to players

1 - Louisiana 74/1
2 - Alabama 81/1
3 - South Carolina 103/1
4 - Georgia 106/1
5 - Florida 107/1
6 - Mississippi 111/1
7 - Texas 174/1
8 - Tennessee 196/1
9 - Missouri 226/1
10 - Arkansas 249/1
11 - Kentucky 341/1

I guess middle of the pack is not too bad considering our economy and high school coaching

dawgs
05-03-2017, 05:22 PM
Ok, here's the math based on per capita by state using the 2016 NFL rosters where players identified their home states

(DATA - all 784 active NFL players, results do not include players from outside the USA)

Results SEC states only
Ranked by highest per capita per total NFL players; number to the right is ratio of state population (in 000s) to players

1 - Louisiana 74/1
2 - Alabama 81/1
3 - South Carolina 103/1
4 - Georgia 106/1
5 - Florida 107/1
6 - Mississippi 111/1
7 - Texas 174/1
8 - Tennessee 196/1
9 - Missouri 226/1
10 - Arkansas 249/1
11 - Kentucky 341/1

I guess middle of the pack is not too bad considering our economy and high school coaching

Problem is that even through a state like Texas has a worse ratio than us, they still produce far more players because the population is much larger. I know that's a "no shit" statement, but seems like you are saying we produce plenty of NFL players because of the per capita numbers. You can have a population of 10 and produce 4 NFL players or you can have a population of 5 and produce 3 NFL players. I'd much rather have the total number advantage to the per capita advantage.

EngDawg
05-03-2017, 05:24 PM

You sir are a moron.
How many Orange Bowls did Croom take us to?
For what period of time where we ranked in the top 10 under Croom?
How many winning seasons did Croom have?

Todd4State
05-03-2017, 05:24 PM
Yea calling bullshit on this. They might have called Croom one of the most "influential" coaches for the SEC All-Time cause he was the first AA hired as head coach in the SEC but no ****ing way did they call him one of the greatest coaches of all time. Hahahaha

I kid you not.

Johnson85
05-03-2017, 05:34 PM
Consecutive bowl streaks:

Florida State (35) - Damn; didn't realize FSU had never slipped up
Virginia Tech (24) -New they had a long streak but I think they've had some 6-6 seasons in there. Not sure that's better than 5-7 against our schedule this year
Georgia (20) - I would say Richt's 6-6 season counts as a shit show
Oklahoma (18) - Power house
LSU (17) Power house
Boise State(15) Not power 5
Wisconsin (15) - not a powerhouse, but definitely on a great run
Alabama (13) - Power house
Brigham Young (12) - Not power 5
Clemson (12) - Ascending powerhouse
Oklahoma State (11) - A good model for us
Nebraska (9)
Pittsburgh (9)
Stanford (8)
Texas A&M (8)
Baylor (7)
Kansas State (7)
Louisville (7)
Mississippi State (7)
San Diego State (7)
Washington (7)

Pre-Mullen - our longest stretch of bowl games was 3 years. I realize bowl games have expanded, but we went to 1 bowl game (Liberty) in the 9 years prior.

I'd say he has established a new norm for our program. Can he take us to another level than the one he's established is still up for debate, but there are other programs that have had longer success than we have (with 4 of those being SEC schools).

So Basically some traditional powerhouses, some non-power 5 upstarts, and then Va Tech and Wisconson that have really done more without being a traditional national power. But you also have a lot of national powers not on that list (e.g., Notre Dame, FLorida, Auburn (maybe not quite a national power, but close), both UT's, etc. I'd say Mullen has done alright.

lamont
05-03-2017, 05:43 PM
I know- I'm terrible because I point out we had a losing season. I'm probably going to be terrible this Fall when we end up 6-6

Our schedule is really tough
We have no kicker
OL will take a half season to gel with Jenkins at C and little depth
Our WR's are not very good
DL and LB depth is suspect
CB depth is suspect

Hopefully we get lucky with injuries and hammer out 7-5

Dawg61
05-03-2017, 06:06 PM
I kid you not.

Hopefully one day we can find that link cause I'd like to make fun of them for life for that ranking

TaleofTwoDogs
05-03-2017, 06:10 PM
Problem is that even through a state like Texas has a worse ratio than us, they still produce far more players because the population is much larger. I know that's a "no shit" statement, but seems like you are saying we produce plenty of NFL players because of the per capita numbers. You can have a population of 10 and produce 4 NFL players or you can have a population of 5 and produce 3 NFL players. I'd much rather have the total number advantage to the per capita advantage.

Mississippi produces more talent per capita then 5 other SEC states which disproves the contention that Mississippi doesn't produce enough quality players. The problem is in the quantity of players. Add in the fact that we have two SEC schools inside the state makes the dilution of talent even worse.

Dawg61
05-03-2017, 06:33 PM
I know- I'm terrible because I point out we had a losing season.

If that's all you did nobody would give you shit and nobody would give a shit.

dawgs
05-03-2017, 06:47 PM
Mississippi produces more talent per capita then 5 other SEC states which disproves the contention that Mississippi doesn't produce enough quality players. The problem is in the quantity of players. Add in the fact that we have two SEC schools inside the state makes the dilution of talent even worse.

per capita doesn't disprove the argument that Mississippi fails to produce enough quality players. Per capita numbers have very little to do with quantitative numbers. Mississippi produces a high ratio of good players, but because of our population size, we don't produce enough players even with the high per capita numbers.

Liverpooldawg
05-03-2017, 07:29 PM

So now Mullen is no better than Croom to you. Good grief.

Liverpooldawg
05-03-2017, 07:32 PM
Yep, a few exploding heads.

Turfdawg67
05-03-2017, 07:48 PM

I said something similar regarding Murphy's recent commitment and how their are much fewer posts than if he had decommited... and it's sad but true. But I really believe that most of the fans that are positive, don't post much, and the negative nelly's vent on here.

blacklistedbully
05-03-2017, 07:49 PM
Yep, a few exploding heads.

More exploding heads from the "Dan can do no wrong" side than the other. I don't think that's what you were referring to in your OP. My biggest "issue" is that we have yet another of these stupid ass threads pitting our owns fans against one another, where you get to yet again post some nonsense suggesting you are a better fan than others.

Turfdawg67
05-03-2017, 07:56 PM
I know- I'm terrible because I point out we had a losing season. I'm probably going to be terrible this Fall when we end up 6-6

We have no kicker
CB depth is suspect

Our WRs will be about as good as we've had historically, which isn't terribly bad. Our LBs & DBs will be very good. Our DL will be fine and our K will be improved (which isn't saying much). And our OL will be decent enough for a run first offense. And by the way, our QB and RBs will be great! 8-4 and possibly 9-3... which is historically fantastic!!

Liverpooldawg
05-03-2017, 08:13 PM
More exploding heads from the "Dan can do no wrong" side than the other. I don't think that's what you were referring to in your OP. My biggest "issue" is that we have yet another of these stupid ass threads pitting our owns fans against one another, where you get to yet again post some nonsense suggesting you are a better fan than others.

Good lord man. Go get a beer, or six.

confucius say
05-03-2017, 08:56 PM

We have no kicker
CB depth is suspect

That's not terrible at all. I agree with most of that. 7-5, maybe 8-4.

dawgday166
05-03-2017, 09:45 PM

They're happy that Dan is the 2nd best coach in the SEC by some folks' opinions. It doesn't bother them that we go 7-5 most years or that we lose to 4 SEC W teams every year. They still get to go "woo hoo, we got the second best coach in the sec!!"

ETA: And what I SMH about a lot is the same ones will always blame the D for it. It's never on Dan's O. Just like I read some post saying we would've beat USA last year with Manny as DC. We ONLY SCORED 20 pts against USA. How unreal is that?

TrapGame
05-03-2017, 10:13 PM
They're happy that Dan is the 2nd best coach in the SEC by some folks' opinions. It doesn't bother them that we go 7-5 most years or that we lose to 4 SEC W teams every year. They still get to go "woo hoo, we got the second best coach in the sec!!"

ETA: And what I SMH about a lot is the same ones will always blame the D for it. It's never on Dan's O. Just like I read some post saying we would've beat USA last year with Manny as DC. We ONLY SCORED 20 pts against USA. How unreal is that?

More stops, more scoring opportunities. How many points would we have scored with five more possessions? Thanks to Sirmon's Diarrhea Defense we will never know.

msstate7
05-03-2017, 10:36 PM

So who would you upgrade Mullen with?

msstate7
05-03-2017, 10:40 PM
More stops, more scoring opportunities. How many points would we have scored with five more possessions? Thanks to Sirmon's Diarrhea Defense we will never know.

Vs USA, we had 5 2nd half offensive possessions... 1 ended with fg and 2 with missed FGs.

Hot Rock
05-03-2017, 11:04 PM
The problem with Mississippi players qualifying is that we have too many coaches with influence in our schools.

Principals and Superintendents that have never actually taught tested subjects for a full class load, should not be allowed to be in charge of our schools. Coaches need to stick with playing their games and leave the school administration to real educators. Then maybe we would place academics first over a game.

A kid should not be out there playing without the classroom being taken care of first.

Coaches = Downfall of our educational system

Todd4State
05-03-2017, 11:07 PM

I'd be happy with Dan Mullen and a better offensive line coach. That would be an upgrade and honestly that would be the staff that I would be the most satisfied with.

Knox does seem to be part of the problem with the running back personnel management. But he at least gets four star guys like Aeris and Kylin Hill. I think it's more a matter of us just not recruiting anymore scatbacks because they can't hold up in the SEC in today's game.

Billy Gonzalez I'm also fine with because Reggie Todd was a four star guy and at least when he realized that we had an issue with outside WR's with length at least he went out and get Reggie Todd and Osirius Mitchell. Fred Ross set a bunch of school record and that can't be overlooked either. We'll be down this year but if he keeps Malik Heath adds CJ Bolar and Stephen Guidry and Dear comes back healthy next year we should have a really good group for 2018 and then the foreseeable future. If he talks Dan into moving Dontae Jones back to WR from TE between now and August I think that would help his group too.

Elliott and Looney seem like really good recruiters. And I would be totally fine making Looney the o-line coach and moving Peterson to TE coach.

Hevesy sucks and is the cause for most of the problems on the offensive side of the ball.

I like all of the defensive staff and have no complaints there. Grantham and English should be huge upgrades that most of us wanted all of last year and they are a big reason why I think we will improve. Buckley has improved the CB's and Peters and Dantzler look like future NFL guys. Baker has done a good job as well.

I hope we leave Boniol in the office because I think we can recruit kickers without putting him on the field but he has done a good job landing an Army AA punter and the kicker prospect that he has committed sounds pretty good too. It may take a year or two to show up on the field but I think having a former NFL kicking coach is going to pay off for us.

dawgday166
05-04-2017, 05:58 AM

As I've said before, I'm not looking to upgrade Mullen just yet. I don't have an agenda to get rid of him just yet. My agenda is for him to put in some relentless effort and strain to fix the things that over 8 years he still hasn't addressed. Hopefully, and I mean hopefully, we can keep a DC for more than a year this time. And hopefully he gives Grantham autonomy to run the D.

Now fix FG kicking and practice running hurry up offenses until he can do it. After so many years as an O coordinator, you'd think he'd have a plan for multitudes of end game situations he could draw on when down to say, LSU or Bama by 2 scores, late in the 4th. Yet he always looks like a deer caught in the headlights in those situations. I think he may need to hire a good OC. He also needs to get his O talent on the field sooner than they get on the field.

Also, the reason Saban is so good is he is a recruiter and he recruits well everywhere he goes. Same with Meyer. Dan and a couple of his offensive cohorts may not like to recruit, but they need to do better at Oline and WR recruiting. I scratch my head as to why we can recruit such talented D personnel at times, yet offensively we only really do well at QB (and RB some) and that is primarily because Dan is exceptional at evaluating less rated QBs and developing them.

Some of us are critiquing Dan just like you critique all our other coaches all the time wondering if they have what it takes. Even during those game threads when like in baseball, hell there are multiple options and sometimes Cann's decision may not work out. That's baseball ... it ain't football. It didn't always work out for Joe Torre either. I don't expect to win every baseball game, but the SEC W has been down the last couple of years in football and there has been a golden opportunity for us to do much better than we did. I do expect us to come close to winning every football game fairly often with our schedule (minus Bama). I do expect to finish better than 5th or 6th in SEC W most years. I do expect us to look like a well-disciplined team and not like a bad Jr High team or a Croom team like we looked like for the first half of last season (and we did .. don't tell me we didn't).

Vs USA, we had 5 2nd half offensive possessions... 1 ended with fg and 2 with missed FGs.

1) Don't you think that against USA it should've be at least 4 TDs with 5 possessions?? C'mon ... it's USA for Christ's sake. Dan is the O genius isn't he? Wasn't USA playing like their 2nd string D line due to injuries?
2) People want to blame Sirmon. I blame Dan for the Miami fiasco with he and Manny and him having to scramble around to find some "body" at the last minute to stick in as D coordinator. Not only that, the WHOLE D staff had fled town. Why? I wonder. Even Turner, who had been successful putting guys into the league, had left before then had come back, but hit the trail for good after 2015. Hopefully Grantham and staff sticks for a little bit.

Since he took us to #1 in 2014, some have put Dan on a pedestal and God forbid anyone critiques him. If 2 years from now we're losing to teams like USA in women's hoops, I'll be all over Vic too (unless at end of year we end up in elite 8 or final four again). At least if Vic decides to take a couple of years off and do a half-ass job, he won't be making 4.5 mill a year to do so.

To sum up: I kinda believe that Dan is in the conversation for 2nd best coach in the SEC. But I would also like to see consistent results to match that.

ETA: If I see and believe Dan is doing his best ... then I can live with the results. But I don't think he has been doing that the last couple of years. We'll see if that changes going forward.

Reason2succeed
05-04-2017, 07:01 AM
Put up or shut up. Name five head coaches you'd rather have other than Dan Mullen that MSU could actually hire.

I say that because many of you fail to realize that EVERY fanbase in the country is nitpicking their coach this year over their staff personnel and end of game decision except for Clemson. Even Bama fans are pissed with Saban right now for losing the NC. Joni Mitchell would tell you that "you don't know what you've got till its gone."

Dawg61
05-04-2017, 07:13 AM
http://p.vitalbmx.com/photos/forums/2012/09/06/way_too_long_didnt_read_270457.jpg

Political Hack
05-04-2017, 08:00 AM
I meant in relation to the discussion.

Of course it's great that the state produces so much talent in relation to population. My point is, how does that make it easier to build a team out of that talent? The argument in the article is that because MS doesn't produce a ton of top college football talent, it is a more difficult task to build a winner at State. And he is correct in that. The population within the state, and the effects on the sheer number of talented football players, is a hindrance.

No doubt about that, but it is an accomplishment that should be recognized. MS high school coaches get crapped on a lot. People say our players aren't ready coming out of high school, but the numbers show that we're actually ahead of Texas and right there with Florida. That's not bad company.

It also shows that we have to dominate in state recruiting. As in, we have to get nearly 100% of the SEC quality guys in order to stack up against the other SEC teams. Splitting the state with OM has been difficult, but luckily that's about to end for a while.

Jarius
05-04-2017, 08:07 AM

We have no kicker
CB depth is suspect

I'm expecting 8-9 wins with a floor of 6 wins. I'm not all in on Mullen and was very disappointed last year. If your scenario for this year plays out, what do you feel like should happen with our coaching staff? What do you feel like will actually happen if that plays out?

smootness
05-04-2017, 09:09 AM
No doubt about that, but it is an accomplishment that should be recognized. MS high school coaches get crapped on a lot. People say our players aren't ready coming out of high school, but the numbers show that we're actually ahead of Texas and right there with Florida. That's not bad company.

It also shows that we have to dominate in state recruiting. As in, we have to get nearly 100% of the SEC quality guys in order to stack up against the other SEC teams. Splitting the state with OM has been difficult, but luckily that's about to end for a while.

All that is fine. Again, the only thing I was saying was that the statement in the article, and its relation to the difficulties associated with recruiting at State, were entirely correct.

JoseBrown
05-04-2017, 09:36 AM

The same ones that would normally brand you a "Mullen-hater" are the same ones that also respond to posts like this with "agenda". And I agree with you, all those responses and the others you pointed out get on my nerves reading them too. While I understand you can be honest, you can point out errors or flaws, and still be supportive of a coach. It's those posters that act like you have to support everything a coach does or says to be supportive of the coach.

Dawg61
05-04-2017, 09:52 AM
The same ones that would normally brand you a "Mullen-hater" are the same ones that also respond to posts like this with "agenda". And I agree with you, all those responses and the others you pointed out get on my nerves reading them too. While I understand you can be honest, you can point out errors or flaws, and still be supportive of a coach. It's those posters that act like you have to support everything a coach does or says to be supportive of the coach.

Nobody can name 5 coaches in the HISTORY of college football that have done a better turnaround job than Dan Mullen. Nobody can even name three. Can anybody name ONE? That is my challenge to all you wanting Mullen to move on or that are bitching about him. Name me ONE coach in the HISTORY of college football that has done more with less than Dan that was at a University similar to us? If you have to google it that should tell you that you're being a bitch with unrealistic expectations. When the answer isn't easy to come up with YOUR EXPECTATIONS ARE WAY TOO HIGH. The fact I have to point this out to you makes it even worse.

NCDawg
05-04-2017, 10:19 AM

In addition, we had total blow-out losses to Auburn, Arkansas, and Alabama. We were not competitive in those games. I think Mullen overall is a good offensive coach, but he will not do what is necessary for us to compete with the real good teams; specifically, to get rid of the offensive line coach who is not getting the job done.

lamont
05-04-2017, 11:33 AM
I'm expecting 8-9 wins with a floor of 6 wins. I'm not all in on Mullen and was very disappointed last year. If your scenario for this year plays out, what do you feel like should happen with our coaching staff? What do you feel like will actually happen if that plays out?

We go 6-6 nothing will change. Mullen isn't getting rid of the Country Club boys and our D will be much improved. We will be a better team in 2018. That's going to be our next chance to get 8-9 wins

Coach007
05-04-2017, 11:37 AM

I can agree with that.

PMDawg
05-04-2017, 11:42 AM
We go 6-6 nothing will change. Mullen isn't getting rid of the Country Club boys and our D will be much improved. We will be a better team in 2018. That's going to be our next chance to get 8-9 wins

ran to SPS and said you banned him for saying Mullen > Croom. Also claims you are leading the effort to have Mullen fired. Just in case you're interested. LOL

lamont
05-04-2017, 11:48 AM
I was told Engdawg got a temp ban for name-calling.

Nobody in the history of Earth has said that Croom > Mullen

Tbonewannabe
05-04-2017, 12:28 PM

Croom might have, watch the 30 for 30 and he thinks he wasn't given enough time to turn it around. Wes Carrol in his freshman year in the bowl game was the best Offensive playcaller in Croom's 5 years.

Jarius
05-04-2017, 12:33 PM

I agree that nothing will change. I'm just wondering what you feel like (if anything) should change if we go 6-6. I feel like something should (maybe not at the HC position) but I don't think anything will.

Tbonewannabe
05-04-2017, 12:37 PM
I agree that nothing will change. I'm just wondering what you feel like (if anything) should change if we go 6-6. I feel like something should (maybe not at the HC position) but I don't think anything will.

I think it depends on how we get to 6-6. Those blow out loses to Ark, Aub, and Bama make last year feel worse than previous years when we typically were within 1 score of everyone but Bama and maybe LSU or whoever is the top ten team that year. The A&M and UNM wins help alleviate the pain of the blowouts but not by much. Grantham might be 2nd biggest get Mullen has behind getting Dak to campus for 5 years.

NCDawg
05-04-2017, 12:41 PM

They both have (had) one thing in common: devoted friendship with an unproductive coach which they refuse to terminate.

Dawg61
05-04-2017, 12:46 PM
They both have (had) one thing in common: devoted friendship with an unproductive coach which they refuse to terminate.

Nick Fitz #21 rushing leader in the country last year including all RBs. Can't do that with a shitty OL. What were we ranked in sacks allowed in the SEC again?

lamont
05-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Nick Fitz #21 rushing leader in the country last year including all RBs. Can't do that with a shitty OL. What were we ranked in sacks allowed in the SEC again?

You can quote any stat you want. We had less than 100 yards vs LSU and Bama combined. We couldn't block Auburn and was out of the game before halftime- which included a sack fumble for a TD. We had just over 3 ypc vs BYU with only 14 points in regulation- that's not a good OL no matter how many times you say it is

Dawg61
05-04-2017, 01:38 PM
You can quote any stat you want. We had less than 100 yards vs LSU and Bama combined. We couldn't block Auburn and was out of the game before halftime- which included a sack fumble for a TD. We had just over 3 ypc vs BYU with only 14 points in regulation- that's not a good OL no matter how many times you say it is

LSU rushed for 33 yards vs Bama does that mean they have a shitty OL too

dawgday166
05-04-2017, 02:02 PM
Nobody can name 5 coaches in the HISTORY of college football that have done a better turnaround job than Dan Mullen. Nobody can even name three. Can anybody name ONE? That is my challenge to all you wanting Mullen to move on or that are bitching about him. Name me ONE coach in the HISTORY of college football that has done more with less than Dan that was at a University similar to us? If you have to google it that should tell you that you're being a bitch with unrealistic expectations. When the answer isn't easy to come up with YOUR EXPECTATIONS ARE WAY TOO HIGH. The fact I have to point this out to you makes it even worse.

Too stupid ... didn't read. Did read 1st sentence tho. If someone wanted to do the research they could easily find many coaches in the history of college football that turned around a program to produce the same kinds of regular seasons Mullen has had. However, since they only in the recent past started having bowl games for 8-4, 7-5, 6-6, and 5-7 teams you probably will be hard pressed to find someone that produced the same regular season records AND went to a bowl game.

Dawg61
05-04-2017, 02:10 PM
Too stupid ... didn't read. Did read 1st sentence tho. If someone wanted to do the research they could easily find many coaches in the history of college football that turned around a program to produce the same kinds of regular seasons Mullen has had. However, since they only in the recent past started having bowl games for 8-4, 7-5, 6-6, and 5-7 teams you probably will be hard pressed to find someone that produced the same regular season records AND went to a bowl game.

Haha you can't think of a single coach. Troll

lamont
05-04-2017, 03:44 PM
LSU rushed for 33 yards vs Bama does that mean they have a shitty OL too

How did they do in other games? I named 4 opponents of ours

Dawg61
05-04-2017, 04:06 PM
How did they do in other games? I named 4 opponents of ours

You're missing the point. I showed you a good OL team can have a bad game and still be a good OL. We had 457 yards rushing vs Old Misses which is a school record. Fitz had 258 of that on his own another school record. You usually don't set all-time records if you have a bad OL.

lamont
05-04-2017, 04:26 PM
You're missing the point. I showed you a good OL team can have a bad game and still be a good OL. We had 457 yards rushing vs Old Misses which is a school record. Fitz had 258 of that on his own another school record. You usually don't set all-time records if you have a bad OL.

What if they have 4-5 bad games???

lamont
05-04-2017, 04:35 PM

So us breaking a record against the worst D in the SEC means we had a good OL?

DanDority
05-04-2017, 04:44 PM

Paul "Bear" Bryant: Kentucky
Bobby Bowden: FSU
Urban Myer: Utah
Pete Carol: USC yes I know they had history but were spiraling out of control
Ara Parseghian: Notre Dame same as USC
Gary Barnett: Northwestern
David Cutcliffe: Duke

How's that?

Maroon Wizardry
05-04-2017, 04:54 PM
it doesn't stop there either... Georgia as a whole has a crap load more people in the state and a crap load more coaches... Coaches/teachers are paid by the state... the best coaches are going to flock to the bigger schools for the higher pay and better competition... so you end up with places like atlanta metro that are saturated with top tier talent.

Dawg61
05-04-2017, 06:24 PM
Paul "Bear" Bryant: Kentucky WW2 just ended
Bobby Bowden: FSU FSU is a top 10 All-Time program and BB is a top 10 coach all-time may Mullen be our Bowden if y'all don't fire him 1st
Urban Myer: Utah only there for two years
Pete Carol: USC yes I know they had history but were spiraling out of control top 3 program all-time
Ara Parseghian: Notre Dame same as USC it's Notre Dame and 1964-1974
Gary Barnett: Northwestern 35-45-1 record
David Cutcliffe: Duke 52-61 record

How's that?

Thanks for playing I do appreciate it but you had to google to do it, be honest. Of that list I agree that Bobby Bowden has a better start/turnaround than Mullen but Florida State wasn't nearly as terrible as we were the 8 years prior to Mullen. Weirdly in the 60's they had almost an identical record as Mullen at 62-42 and finished in the top 15 3 times so Bobby didn't have as big a turnaround job as Dan. Bowden is also a top 10 coach all-time and turned FSU into a dynasty for over a decade. If we see a similar result as that from Dan we all will live very happy football lives for a long time. If it isn't sinking in for y'all what we have here already after googling the best turnaround job's in history and Dan is right at the very top of the list your expectations for Dan Mullen are way too high.

dawgday166
05-04-2017, 06:25 PM
Paul "Bear" Bryant: Kentucky
Bobby Bowden: FSU
Urban Myer: Utah
Pete Carol: USC yes I know they had history but were spiraling out of control
Ara Parseghian: Notre Dame same as USC
Gary Barnett: Northwestern
David Cutcliffe: Duke

How's that?

Thanks ... I didn't want to waste the time to really think about it too much. I could've named all of those and then if I wanted to do some research I could find 20 more who had whole careers at schools with the types of seasons Dan has had so far ... and the fans were happy with it. 20 years ago winning championships wasn't on most NCAA schools list of high priorities. Probably could name a whole host of coaches no one has even heard of. On top of that only 11 games were played and that was the era before this era where over half the NCAA goes to bowl games no matter what. And before that only 10 games were played and there were like only 5 or 6 bowl games.

But Dan is the ONLY coach who has ever done this ... jeez. What an idiotic statement.

Dawg61
05-04-2017, 06:30 PM
What if they have 4-5 bad games???

I attribute our bad games to Fitz lack of accuracy in those games and our shitty defense. When Fitz can't pass the ball we aren't able to run the ball either. OL isn't the reason we lost 7 games last year. If we have an improved defense and Fitz has a similar progression as Dak with his decision making and accuracy we should see another jump in wins similar to 2014 just not as big. I put us around 8-4 this next year if those two things happen.

Dawg61
05-04-2017, 06:32 PM
Thanks ... I didn't want to waste the time to really think about it too much. I could've named all of those and then if I wanted to do some research I could find 20 more who had whole careers at schools with the types of seasons Dan has had so far ... and the fans were happy with it. 20 years ago winning championships wasn't on most NCAA schools list of high priorities. Probably could name a whole host of coaches no one has even heard of. On top of that only 11 games were played and that was the era before this era where over half the NCAA goes to bowl games no matter what. And before that only 10 games were played and there were like only 5 or 6 bowl games.

But Dan is the ONLY coach who has ever done this ... jeez. What an idiotic statement.

Well since you call it an idiotic statement let me insist that you now find those 20 coaches homie

blacklistedbully
05-04-2017, 08:34 PM

Justin Fuente

blacklistedbully
05-04-2017, 08:38 PM

Chris Peterson

blacklistedbully
05-04-2017, 08:39 PM

Hate to say it, because of the blatant cheating, but Hugh Freeze.

blacklistedbully
05-04-2017, 08:41 PM

Bret Bielema

blacklistedbully
05-04-2017, 08:41 PM

Bobby Petrino

blacklistedbully
05-04-2017, 08:44 PM
Howard Schnellenberger

blacklistedbully
05-04-2017, 08:45 PM
Dabo Swinney

blacklistedbully
05-04-2017, 08:45 PM
Steve Spurrier

blacklistedbully
05-04-2017, 08:46 PM
Lou Holtz

Dawg61
05-04-2017, 08:53 PM
Justin Fuentewas at Memphis for 3 years 1st year he won 3 games

Chris Peterson coach before him Dan Hawkins went 53-11

Hate to say it, because of the blatant cheating, but Hugh Freeze.bear troll alert

Bret Bielema ever heard of Barry Alvarez

Bobby Petrine Arkansas has a much richer football history and BP is a top 5 current coach

Howard SchnellenbergerOklahoma bruh

Dabo SwinneyClemson has been trending up for 30 years just took them awhile to win one

Steve SpurrierFlorida bruh

Lou HoltzNotre Dame bruh

Put it all in one post next time please and you didn't list one single name that has done more with less than Dan, congrats

dawgday166
05-04-2017, 08:54 PM
Blacklisted ... I don't know what you must be drankin'. Dan is the ONLY guy that can do something like this. There are no others ****

lamont
05-05-2017, 06:20 AM
Put it all in one post next time please and you didn't list one single name that has done more with less than Dan, congrats

Schnellenberger did at Miami. Won a title. Their facilities were worse than State's when he got there

BrunswickDawg
05-05-2017, 08:04 AM
Schnellenberger did at Miami. Won a title. Their facilities were worse than State's when he got there

But you could argue that Lou Saban laid the groundwork for Schnellenberger. Saban landed Jim Kelley and Ottis Anderson and was 6-5 the year before Schnell took over. Miami was 34-53 in the 8 years prior to Schnell, and had been to 7 bowls all time. Dan took over a team that was 29-65 the eight years prior and that had played in 9 bowl games with 30 more years of football under their belt than Miami. Schnellenberger is close, but I don't know if Miami was worse

Reason2succeed
05-05-2017, 08:35 AM
Miami is also in Miami. If I were a recruit I would go there just for the beach and the babes.
Also there is a ton of talent that grows up within miles of coral gables. Look at their HS teams.

Ask yourself how many of those coaches did what they did 90 miles away from the best CFB program over the last decade and the best coach. How many of them did it in a state like Mississippi with a low population and multiple schools in their conference?

Dan isn't the ONLY one but Dan Mullen is a really good coach. I'm glad he's more loyal than the vocal minority of our fanbase.

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2017, 08:35 AM

Hummmmm

Dawg61
05-05-2017, 08:41 AM

Schnellenberger was only there for four years and he didn't have less than Mullen cause his house is sitting in the middle of the richest recruiting area in the country every year. Who gives a shit what the weight room looks like when you got Sean Taylor, Frank Gore and Willis McGahee playing pickup games a block away. He did win a title tho so Mullen can't touch that just yet.

Dawg61
05-05-2017, 08:51 AM

Hummmmm

https://jaypgreene.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/therock.jpg?w=450&h=347
https://mygaming.co.za/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/banhammer-header.jpg

Commercecomet24
05-05-2017, 09:29 AM
Miami is also in Miami. If I were a recruit I would go there just for the beach and the babes.
Also there is a ton of talent that grows up within miles of coral gables. Look at their HS teams.

Ask yourself how many of those coaches did what they did 90 miles away from the best CFB program over the last decade and the best coach. How many of them did it in a state like Mississippi with a low population and multiple schools in their conference?

Dan isn't the ONLY one but Dan Mullen is a really good coach. I'm glad he's more loyal than the vocal minority of our fanbase.

Great post!

lamont
05-05-2017, 09:34 AM

Miami was Miami before Schnell got there too but didn't win anything.

lamont
05-05-2017, 09:41 AM
But you could argue that Lou Saban laid the groundwork for Schnellenberger. Saban landed Jim Kelley and Ottis Anderson and was 6-5 the year before Schnell took over. Miami was 34-53 in the 8 years prior to Schnell, and had been to 7 bowls all time. Dan took over a team that was 29-65 the eight years prior and that had played in 9 bowl games with 30 more years of football under their belt than Miami. Schnellenberger is close, but I don't know if Miami was worse

Croom handed Mullen:

KJ Wright
Chris White
Jamar Chaney
Anthony Dixon
Gabe Jackson
Derek Sherrod

Plus a bunch of other good players as a solid base to take over a football team

blacklistedbully
05-05-2017, 10:00 AM
https://jaypgreene.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/therock.jpg?w=450&h=347
https://mygaming.co.za/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/banhammer-header.jpg

Both you guys are as dumb as a bag of rocks if you think I'm a Black Bear. But keep it coming...love that you two are so willing to call your credibility into question.

confucius say
05-05-2017, 10:04 AM
What Mullen has done here is unbelievably impressive. The regional media will tell you that. Our own fans are the only ones who disagree. He has taken one of the worst programs of all time, historically, in the sec and made them a perennial bowl team. He surely could improve some things, but what other coach has done that? I'll wait.

confucius say
05-05-2017, 10:05 AM
Croom handed Mullen:

KJ Wright
Chris White
Jamar Chaney
Anthony Dixon
Gabe Jackson
Derek Sherrod

Plus a bunch of other good players as a solid base to take over a football team

Croom did leave dan more talent than people think. No question.

lamont
05-05-2017, 10:10 AM
Croom did leave dan more talent than people think. No question.

Fletcher Cox agrees

Dawg61
05-05-2017, 10:11 AM
Croom handed Mullen

One of the worst football programs in America and years worth of bad publicity to overcome. He also handed him a fanbase that was so beaten down it believed it was not capable of competing vs the top teams in the SEC ever. Croom wasn't just bad he set us back miles further by instilling a defeatist attitude amongst the fanbase.

Dawg61
05-05-2017, 10:14 AM
I'm a Black Bear

Glad you could finally admit it. You've been "visiting" nafoom five times a day for the last two years straight. No bulldog I know does that.

confucius say
05-05-2017, 10:16 AM
Fletcher Cox agrees

Mullen signed Cox, no?

blacklistedbully
05-05-2017, 10:17 AM
Glad you could finally admit it. You've been "visiting" nafoom five times a day for the last two years straight. No bulldog I know does that.

Like I said...keep it coming, Bozo. Only a complete imbecile would believe this.

msstate7
05-05-2017, 10:25 AM
This thread has turned out awful.

Certainly there's a chance we could upgrade Mullen, but it's not a very good chance imo. Look at South Carolina, they ended up with like 3rd or 4th choice, an sec re-tread. Look at f'n LSU, they hired an om reject. Arkansas hired one of the best HCs in the Big 10 and he's no better than dan. Butch jones was tenn's 4th choice. Florida acted a fool wanting to change urban's offense to pro style and it cost them arguably the best coach in CFB. Think they wish they could do that over? Georgia hired an assistant that the jury is still out on. Trying to replace Mullen is a gamble that would most likley end up like sticking your paycheck in a slot machine

blacklistedbully
05-05-2017, 10:36 AM

Certainly there's a chance we could upgrade Mullen, but it's not a very good chance imo. Look at South Carolina, they ended up with like 3rd or 4th choice, an sec re-tread. Look at f'n LSU, they hired an om reject. Arkansas hired one of the best HCs in the Big 10 and he's no better than dan. Butch jones was tenn's 4th choice. Florida acted a fool wanting to change urban's offense to pro style and it cost them arguably the best coach in CFB. Think they wish they could do that over? Georgia hired an assistant that the jury is still out on. Trying to replace Mullen is a gamble that would most likley end up like sticking your paycheck in a slot machine

How many in this thread have called for Dan to be replaced?

Dawg61
05-05-2017, 10:41 AM
Only a complete imbecile would

say Bucky Freezus has done an equivalent job as Dan Mullen

msstate7
05-05-2017, 10:43 AM

What's the point then? What you Mullen-haters want if not for him to be replaced?

dawgday166
05-05-2017, 10:46 AM

Well ... there's also the possibility that Cohen could stumble across the next James Franklin too (there's one for you and Dawg61 ... Vandy is way harder to produce good football at than MSU).

I'm not saying replace Dan yet, but the only year he has competed with the top SEC teams is 2014 briefly and then crashed and burned. AU isn't a top SEC team year in, year out. Bama and LSU own us.

Now here's something interesting I listened to this morning. Mike Huguenin was on Bo Bounds and he thinks Mullen does the most with the least and is 2nd best coach in SEC ... However, he says part of that is due to the fact that Mullen and his staff aren't good recruiters. He was critical of their recruiting efforts cause they don't like to recruit, as he put it. Something else that I hope he is wrong on ... he is not a Grantham fan. He has been saying TG was overrated way before he came to State. We'll see ... I kinda liked what I saw in spring game.

ETA: Oh ... a lot of folks like to keep bringing up the bowl streak. When you play the OOC we have been playing and then KY every year ... that's 5 auto wins. You only need 1 of the next 7 games to make a bowl ... and sometimes, like this past year, you don't even need that.

lamont
05-05-2017, 10:55 AM
Mullen signed Cox, no?

Cox committed to Croom in May before Croom's last season

lamont
05-05-2017, 10:56 AM
What's the point then? What you Mullen-haters want if not for him to be replaced?

Want him to fix his faults and improve OL recruiting

thf24
05-05-2017, 10:59 AM
Croom left Mullen with some good top-end talent, no denying that, but also a ton of dead weight that stunted our ability to build quality depth Mullen's first 2-3 years.

lamont
05-05-2017, 10:59 AM
Mike Huguenin Is spot on with that assessment

Dawg61
05-05-2017, 11:00 AM
I'm not saying replace Dan yet, but the only year he has competed with the top SEC teams is 2014 briefly and then crashed and burned.

Here's the other Bear troll in this thread. Homie in 2015 we went 9-4 with a bowl win and 6-7 in 2016 with a bowl win. 15-11 with 2 bowl wins. Not exactly the definition of "crashed and burned" unless you're a Bear troll trying to get Mullen replaced.

Percho
05-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Always remember one thing.

There have been many a person married another with the thought, they will change.

Very, very seldom, does one change...........................................

And personally I like, whom we are married........................................... ..........

msstate7
05-05-2017, 11:05 AM
Want him to fix his faults and improve OL recruiting

Bout to be back-to-back years with olinemen drafted. We suffered a huge miss in lashley that's really inexcusable, but overall I think we're recruiting much better of late on the oline

dawgday166
05-05-2017, 11:06 AM
Here's the other Bear troll in this thread. Homie in 2015 we went 9-4 with a bowl win and 6-7 in 2016 with a bowl win. 15-11 with 2 bowl wins. Not exactly the definition of "crashed and burned" unless you're a Bear troll trying to get Mullen replaced.

If the requirement to not be a "Bear" is having your head in and slobbering all over Mullen's lap like you are ... then I guess I'm a Bear cause I ain't gonna do it for no coach.

In 2015 we lost to 4 SEC W teams ... got beat by Bama 31-6. Just how is that competing with the top SEC teams?

Dawg61
05-05-2017, 11:12 AM
If the requirement to not be a "Bear" is having your head in and slobbering all over Mullen's lap like you are ... then I guess I'm a Bear cause I ain't gonna do it for no coach.

In 2015 we lost to 4 SEC W teams ... got beat by Bama 31-6. Just how is that competing with the top SEC teams?

You mean the same year we went 9-4. How many times have we won 9 games in a season in our history? **** off bear troll

msstate7
05-05-2017, 11:13 AM

We faced OM in the egg bowl to go to the sugar bowl. Totally unacceptable by our coaching staff to have such an abysmal season

NCDawg
05-05-2017, 11:23 AM
One of the worst football programs in America and years worth of bad publicity to overcome. He also handed him a fanbase that was so beaten down it believed it was not capable of competing vs the top teams in the SEC ever. Croom wasn't just bad he set us back miles further by instilling a defeatist attitude amongst the fanbase.

In Croom's final year, he started bringing in some pretty good players. He was indeed stubborn, though, since he absolutely refused to replace McCorvey, which, in my opinion, was the primary problem with the team. Ironically, our current coach has the same stubbornness with our offensive line coach, which has, and will in the future in my opinion, prevent us from getting to a higher level.

tcdog70
05-05-2017, 11:50 AM
In Croom's final year, he started bringing in some pretty good players. He was indeed stubborn, though, since he absolutely refused to replace McCorvey, which, in my opinion, was the primary problem with the team. Ironically, our current coach has the same stubbornness with our offensive line coach, which has, and will in the future in my opinion, prevent us from getting to a higher level.

The Slytantic-did not even use all of His in home visits. He had one of the worse offenses in the History of the SEC. He was a buffoon during Games. We lost to a Tulane team that was screw up by Katrina. He refused to try A 35 YARD FIELD GOAL to beat Georgia and the QB took a sack. He couldn't sign a WR to save his soul and then said there were WR on every corner of Miami. He had the nerve to say that He knew we were going to lose to Maine because they had the better team. I could go on and on . I am bewildered at MSU fans that say positive thing about His dumb ass.

shannondawg
05-05-2017, 11:57 AM
One good thing about Saban, we don't have to listen to all the Bear stories repeated over and over and over and over Did I say over?

lamont
05-05-2017, 12:02 PM
McCorvey was never fired because he was running exactly what Croom wanted.

Croom said he would retire before running a spread offense- so Byrne sent him there

confucius say
05-05-2017, 12:07 PM

I know the most prominent one has stated he would prefer dan leave. Not sure if that is still is stance though, as he posted that last year.

Reason2succeed
05-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Miami was Miami before Schnell got there too but didn't win anything.

And MSU was MSU before Mullen got here too! But we only had a handful of bowl seasons

blacklistedbully
05-05-2017, 08:09 PM

And there you have it...another of those incapable of grasping not-so-subtle nuance.

Are you really that ignorant or are you just trolling? To this point, I've considered you reasonably intelligent, if often wrong in your positions. But you calling me a "Mullen-hater" based on what I have posted is just plain stupid...like Dawg61 stupid.