PDA

View Full Version : That Saban contract though....

Cooterpoot
05-02-2017, 10:47 AM
$11.125 Million ..............at what point do we call college athletics a professional sport? He could pay each player on the team over $38,0000 with the money he's making. At some point, the NCAA is going to have to address the big money in college athletics. It's getting out of control.
Byrne at $1.2 million.

Cary Hudson's little bro
05-02-2017, 11:02 AM
I'm ok with the greatest coach of all time (in any sport) getting paid double whatever one else is getting. Quit crying and help us find a way to get him out of power.

Cooterpoot
05-02-2017, 11:33 AM
I'm not ok with it. There's no way college athletics should be what it's becoming. And there's also no way for us to complete with that. Getting him out of power only opens up the spot for the guy that just beat him in the national championship. That's what that kind of money can do.

TUSK
05-02-2017, 12:08 PM
Underpaid.

Bass Chaser
05-02-2017, 12:15 PM
Nm

archdog
05-02-2017, 12:22 PM
Underpaid.

Yep. MSU should have offered 15.

NCDawg
05-02-2017, 12:25 PM
It's a shame Rich Rodriquez didn't accept the job when they first offered it to him. He said at first that he would, then changed his mind. He would have probably been in the mold of Shula, Curry, or Dubose-somebody that we could compete with. You have to give credit to Mal Moore, the AD, who stayed after Saban and eventually convinced him to come to Alabama. I hated to see it because I knew we were going to be in trouble beating Alabama for quite a while in the future. I never thought that he would become as good as, or better, that Bear Bryant, though.

HSVDawg
05-02-2017, 12:26 PM
I'm not ok with it. There's no way college athletics should be what it's becoming. And there's also no way for us to complete with that. Getting him out of power only opens up the spot for the guy that just beat him in the national championship. That's what that kind of money can do.

If Saban was our coach, we could afford to pay him that much too because the revenue generated would be 10x what it is with a middling coach. Alabama got lucky in a number of ways, and none moreso than Rich Rod accepting the job before having a last second change of heart. There are 20ish schools across the country that have just as much money if not more money than Alabama, even now with their dynasty and increased revenue and enrollment. But, Bama happened to be the prettiest girl at the prom when Saban decided to return to the college level, and the rest is history. Timing is everything.

HaggardDawg
05-02-2017, 12:28 PM
I'd be okay with a market cap on coaches and staff salaries. It would reduce the enticement of coaches jumping to another program simply because another school can out bid you. If they want to leave for other reasons, fine. But at least a cap would take the money part out of it. This is the only economy I'm okay with having price limitations.

dawgday166
05-02-2017, 12:28 PM
Them Bammers' are some lucky ****ers.

FISHDAWG
05-02-2017, 12:35 PM
I'm ok with the greatest coach of all time (in any sport) getting paid double whatever one else is getting. Quit crying and help us find a way to get him out of power.

Did he recruit Leo ?**

Todd4State
05-02-2017, 12:38 PM
Yep. MSU should have offered 15.

I'm all for it. Sorry Dan.

Of course he would have to deal with our fans about cussing too much. Watching him go off on David Murray would be worth the price alone though.

Mobile Bay
05-02-2017, 12:40 PM
I'd be okay with a market cap on coaches and staff salaries. It would reduce the enticement of coaches jumping to another program simply because another school can out bid you. If they want to leave for other reasons, fine. But at least a cap would take the money part out of it. This is the only economy I'm okay with having price limitations.

It won't do any good. Booster clubs, back room business deals, inside investments. All of that will still go on. So the big names will just keep on spending.

Do you really think Nick Saban is out there designing vans?

https://www.mbbhm.com/nick-saban-signature-series/

dawgday166
05-02-2017, 12:40 PM

I am too ... and I ain't apologizing lol.

sandwolf
05-02-2017, 12:55 PM
Watching him go off on David Murray would be worth the price alone though.Haha, this made me lol. I would definitely pay to see that.

AROB44
05-02-2017, 03:13 PM
Actually the story I heard about Rich Rod came from a big supporter of Bama. Maybe Tusk has heard the same from his double wide friends. Anyway, the story was that Rich Rod used some "colorful language" in a meeting with some really high up boosters and their wives. Did not go over well and Bama pulled his offer.

LockeDawg
05-02-2017, 03:35 PM
It's a shame Rich Rodriquez didn't accept the job when they first offered it to him. He said at first that he would, then changed his mind. He would have probably been in the mold of Shula, Curry, or Dubose-somebody that we could compete with. You have to give credit to Mal Moore, the AD, who stayed after Saban and eventually convinced him to come to Alabama. I hated to see it because I knew we were going to be in trouble beating Alabama for quite a while in the future. I never thought that he would become as good as, or better, that Bear Bryant, though.

It was all about the wives in both cases. Rita Rodriquez got offended and got her feelings hurt (by Paul Finebaum) - put the kibosh on Rich Rod taking the job. Mal Moore sold Terry Saban on Alabama and the lifestyle they could expect if he left the pro's & went back to college. Possy is a driving force for many a man.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/12/looking_back_at_what_really_ha.html

Dawg61
05-02-2017, 03:56 PM

College football doesn't pay me shit so I'll let all the assholes making a bunch of money of it worry about it. Those of y'all thinking Saban would even think for 1 second about coming here for $15 mill a year can keep dreaming. It'd take $50 mill a year to pry him away from Tuscaloosa. He's got that machine so well oiled he ain't never leaving. Our best chance to get him outta there was when daughter Saban beat the crap outta her sorority sister but nothing came of that so we all ****ed till he's done with it.

LockeDawg
05-02-2017, 03:58 PM
He got paid $4mil just to sign the damn piece of paper. Jimmy Sexton is a freaking genius.

Turfdawg67
05-02-2017, 04:16 PM

So.... how did his royal highness do when he had "MSU" talent vs rest of the league??? (aka 1st year at bama, LSU, Mich St., Dolphins?). Give most coaches (aka Freezus) 5* talent (and the $$$ to get 'em) vs. 2-3* star talent and he will be a major success. You think Satan could come to MSU and win like he has... you're 17'n nuts!

sandwolf
05-02-2017, 04:28 PM
So.... how did his royal highness do when he had "MSU" talent vs rest of the league??? (aka 1st year at bama, LSU, Mich St., Dolphins?). Give most coaches (aka Freezus) 5* talent (and the $$$ to get 'em) vs. 2-3* star talent and he will be a major success. You think Satan could come to MSU and win like he has... you're 17'n nuts!So are you saying that you don't think Saban is one of the best college football coaches ever?

I seen it dawg
05-02-2017, 07:48 PM
So.... how did his royal highness do when he had "MSU" talent vs rest of the league??? (aka 1st year at bama, LSU, Mich St., Dolphins?). Give most coaches (aka Freezus) 5* talent (and the $$$ to get 'em) vs. 2-3* star talent and he will be a major success. You think Satan could come to MSU and win like he has... you're 17'n nuts!

This is what I don't get from some...GIVE Saban that talent..nobody GAVE him shit. They didn't have it before he got there. So how do you think it is what it is now? Saban. He should get all the credit and then some because he created that machine to what it is now. I just don't get the "well anyone could win with that talent"...well the talent is there because Saban gets it there.

Dawg61
05-02-2017, 08:04 PM
This is what I don't get from some...GIVE Saban that talent..nobody GAVE him shit. They didn't have it before he got there. So how do you think it is what it is now? Saban. He should get all the credit and then some because he created that machine to what it is now. I just don't get the "well anyone could win with that talent"...well the talent is there because Saban gets it there.

Agree with all of this, but I'll add the Saban National Championship affect doesn't happen at any school he'd go to. He isn't turning Purdue into a perennial national champion for example. Could he duplicate it or even surpass it at some other Universities? Sure but I don't think it's more than 10-15 schools that he could build into such a dominate power as Alabama has been.

TUSK
05-02-2017, 08:26 PM

This reminded me of the '14 MSU @ Bammer game.... when a few on here suggested that MSU "had a better team/more talent"... then bitch the game was "rigged"...

But I digress...

While I don't believe Saban has Bryant's ability to "take his'n and beat your'n", he's certainly better at running a c. 21st century 500 company....

sandwolf
05-03-2017, 08:56 AM
This reminded me of the '14 MSU @ Bammer game.... when a few on here suggested that MSU "had a better team/more talent"... then bitch the game was "rigged"...

If we play yall in Starkville or even on a neutral field in 2014, we beat yall by 10.

While I don't believe Saban has Bryant's ability to "take his'n and beat your'n", he's certainly better at running a c. 21st century 500 company....Bryant can't hold Saban's jock strap as far as I am concerned. Saban has more limitations placed on him with regards to recruiting and bending the rules than Bryant could have ever dreamed of.

Cooterpoot
05-03-2017, 09:00 AM
Saban is Football Jesus. He walks on the water of the college athletics landscape. But you still can't say a player shouldn't get paid if he's making Monopoly money.
And I'm NOT for players being paid, but when you see this kind of stuff, you just can't defend it. At some point, the NCAA is going to have to create a salary cap for these programs.

I seen it dawg
05-03-2017, 08:16 PM
Agree with all of this, but I'll add the Saban National Championship affect doesn't happen at any school he'd go to. He isn't turning Purdue into a perennial national champion for example. Could he duplicate it or even surpass it at some other Universities? Sure but I don't think it's more than 10-15 schools that he could build into such a dominate power as Alabama has been.

I disagree on the Purdue thing. He wouldn't go anywhere that wouldn't allow him carte blanche to run his program. If Purdue would do that he would implement it. Might take longer but it would happen. He's the reason.

TUSK
05-04-2017, 07:38 PM
I disagree on the Purdue thing. He wouldn't go anywhere that wouldn't allow him carte blanche to run his program. If Purdue would do that he would implement it. Might take longer but it would happen. He's the reason.

I'm with ya on this...

dead nuts on.

dawgday166
05-04-2017, 09:34 PM
I'm with ya on this...

dead nuts on.

What are you talking about? If Saban were at MSU he'd be 4-8, 5-7 most years ... he might get to 6-6 on a good year ***** Only Dan can have a winning record at MSU *****

Dawg61
05-04-2017, 10:08 PM
What are you talking about? If Saban were at MSU he'd be 4-8, 5-7 most years ... he might get to 6-6 on a good year ***** Only Dan can have a winning record at MSU *****

https://media.tenor.co/images/3aad9119d3eba20f572cce7f431442ae/tenor.gif

TUSK
05-06-2017, 01:21 AM
If we play yall in Starkville or even on a neutral field in 2014, we beat yall by 10.

Bryant can't hold Saban's jock strap as far as I am concerned. Saban has more limitations placed on him with regards to recruiting and bending the rules than Bryant could have ever dreamed of.

This is incorrect.

Dawg61
05-06-2017, 08:10 AM
This is incorrect.

Again I see your shade.

dawgday166
05-06-2017, 09:13 AM
This is incorrect.

You don't think that might have helped us win it. Y'all only had 323 yds or so of total O when you had been putting up 600+ or so against everyone in TTown. On the road your offense struggled. We put up 423 or so on y'all. Dak may have not thrown the 3 picks at home. Pretty hostile environment we were playing in.

I believe we were as good as y'all that year but Mullen's game prep wasn't great leading into it. 1st time in that situation so he gets a bye on that one. Saban got the Lone Survivor dude to fly in and motivate his boys.

ETA: It's a moot point really but I think we may would've won in Vegas.

The Federalist Engineer
05-06-2017, 09:50 AM
$11.125 Million ..............at what point do we call college athletics a professional sport? He could pay each player on the team over $38,0000 with the money he's making. At some point, the NCAA is going to have to address the big money in college athletics. It's getting out of control.
Byrne at $1.2 million.

It's probably 98% private money and I have no problem with allowing individuals allocating their dollars to a hobby of their choosing

Bully13
05-06-2017, 10:11 AM

Of course he would have to deal with our fans about cussing too much. Watching him go off on David Murray would be worth the price alone though.

Did yall hear that? Todd said he wants Mullen fired!!****

ShotgunDawg
05-06-2017, 10:11 AM
Saban is waaaaayyyyy underpaid & Mullen probably is also.

I listened to Clay Travis break this down the other day & he basically made this point: Since Saban became Alabama's coach, the freshmen classes at Alabama have gone from on average about 33% out of state students to 60+% out of state students presently leading to about $50+ million additional dollars a year in out of state tuition fees. And that's just on tuition fees........ What about additional ticket sales? apparel? Capital funding? Donations?

What is Saban worth to that university?

Dawg61
05-06-2017, 10:44 AM
What is Saban worth to that university?

What is he worth to the state of Alabama? Alabama football is top 5 business for the entire state. It literally feeds the entire state.