PDA

View Full Version : Question

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-02-2017, 08:19 AM
I've seen a couple tweets with a pic of a football player from Amory named Jim, who obviously passed away. Even saw Butch Thompson tweet it out. You can tell it's an old pic from the size of the shoulder pads he is wearing. Does anyone know who this is?

ScoobaDawg
05-02-2017, 08:25 AM
Jim Williamshttp://www.legacy.com/obituaries/monroecountyjournal/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=185261213

Amory Football‏ @AmoryFB (https://twitter.com/AmoryFB) Follow

More

An outstanding athlete.A loyal servant.An Amory legend.We will never forget you, Jim.#FollowAndFight (https://twitter.com/hashtag/FollowAndFight?src=hash)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-yZFvLXgAAYlxm.jpg

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-02-2017, 08:28 AM
Thanks Scooba. What's his story? Was he a coach?

ScoobaDawg
05-02-2017, 08:34 AM
He wrote part of his own Obit and I think these are strong words that everyone should read..

One of the few advantages of dying from melanoma cancer, recurrent and metastasized to the brain, lungs, stomach, and colon, is that you have time to write your own obituary. Some folks told me that writing my own obituary was morbid, but I think it is great because I get a chance to say "thank you" to all the people who helped me along the way . . . those who loved me, assisted me, cared for me, laughed with me, and taught me things so that I could have a wonderful, happy life. I was blessed beyond measure by knowing all of you. That is what made my life worthwhile. Thank you for walking alongside us, lifting us up in prayer, loving us, and hoping with us.

We cling to our HOPE in the God who is greater than all, the One who knows what we don't, who created the heavens and the earth, as well as the intimate details of the seen and unseen. Beyond the doctors, medicine, treatments, and surgeries, God is our ever present Hope, Help, and Healer!

I met Cheri Williams in the Hardee's parking lot one night in December 1987, the luckiest night of my life. She was 15; I was 18. We were high school sweethearts and were married on July 30, 1994. Cheri, I love you more than I could ever be able to express. You are one supportive wife and mother. Thank you for all the laughter, the love, and for standing by me till the very end. You were my rock! Jackson and Jake, I love you so much, and I'm so very proud of you. You both are much stronger because of what you have been dealt over the past five years. Think of it as a blessing, please. Always remember that obstacles in your life are part of God's plan; they certainly make you tough. You already are great young men and will be amazing husbands and fathers one day. You all have blessed my life unbelievably, and for that I am grateful.

People say I am strong; maybe I am, but it is only because my mom and dad are two of the strongest people I know. They have been true role models for me. They taught me the real meaning of family and the love of God and family over everything else. I am confident in saying that I was physically tough, but needed help in the mentally tough department. I needed the support of my family and friends.

When I was told I had cancer, I faced it head on. I told Cheri that I would follow God down whatever path He had planned, and I would fight my hardest every day to stay strong and win this battle. This conversation sparked our new family motto "Follow & Fight." And to this, we have all stayed true. Through it all, my faith and the love I have for my wife and children, my family, and my friends gave me the strength and courage to beat each obstacle thrown my way. I hope I have been an inspiration to others and that people can think about my battle with cancer and know that you should never give up and always have Hope. This we know to be true . . . no plan or purpose of God's can be prevented! I decided to be joyful about having had a full life rather than sad about having to die. Amazingly, this outlook worked for me. Being a Christian helped me to accept what I could not change. I found peace early during this journey. Of course, I have faltered a few times and have had my share of pity parties; however, with resolve and conviction I can say that I'm not afraid to die. I have Hope

. . . a hope that is greater than me, greater than my fear, and greater than death itself; a hope that I have found during the midst of the battle to stay alive for my family. It might be cliche, but I wanted to live every day to the fullest because tomorrow is no guarantee. Each breath is a gift that is not to be taken for granted.

My beloved Cheri, Jackson, and Jake, my family and friends, how great you all have been to me. Knowing and loving each one of you was the success story of my life. Please find joy in knowing that I am in Heaven and not suffering anymore. I have won the battle. I am healed. Know I am in your hearts and memories. Joy can certainly be intertwined with tremendous pain. I know this all too well. I don't want to die; I want to stay here with my family. However, I believe there is something more real than death. Something greater. Something stronger. Something more powerful. ETERNAL LIFE! And, that's why I am not afraid to die. Trusting in what Jesus has already done for us takes the sting out of death; he conquered death to give us an abundant life here and in eternity.

"Be strong! Be courageous! Do not be afraid! For the Lord your God will be with you. He will neither fail you nor forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6.

So, do this for me . . . buy some sunscreen, spend time with your family and friends, and pray daily. Follow & Fight!

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-02-2017, 08:53 AM
Wow. That was powerful. Thanks for sharing.

Liverpooldawg
05-02-2017, 08:53 AM
He wasn't a coach. He was a star athlete and student at Amory High. He returned to Amory and was a physical therapist till his death. He was the PT on the sidelines for Amory sports for 20 something years until very recently. They named the street the football field is located on after him last year. His brother is the baseball coach and athletic director. I taught at Amory high for a short time while he was a student.

confucius say
05-02-2017, 10:09 AM
What a great outlook on his situation. Sounds like he was an awesome guy. Prayers for the family.