PDA

View Full Version : Russell to start tomorrow

civildawg
09-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Bonner tweeted that he's cleared to play.

Coach34
09-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Hoooooorayyyyyyy!!! **** yeah babyyyyyy

Maroon Diapers
09-13-2013, 08:05 PM
No surprise there

archdog
09-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Hope goes off with 6 tds and 2 rushing tds. Has my full support. Hailstate.

civildawg
09-13-2013, 08:25 PM
I hope he does too. I just hope Dan gets his head out of his ass and calls the right plays

Esmerelda Villalobos
09-13-2013, 08:30 PM
Shit

BHildreth3
09-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Mullen wants him to start, when he screws up, well...it's OVER and say hello again to DAK..then Mullen gets what he's more comfortable with

hells bells
09-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Shit

I think he fully understands the importance of his first offensive look. The coddling is over, no performance, Dak is in. We stomp Auby Saturday.

Political Hack
09-13-2013, 08:48 PM
we win.

ckDOG
09-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Bonner tweeted that he's cleared to play.

Well, at least my baseline is about 7 points. I won't get pissed when we don't score any points since I'll be expecting it. I got that going for me tomorrow...

DapperDawg
09-13-2013, 09:19 PM
I really don't think we'll see much of Dak, unless Russell gets hurt. Mullen is determined to run his conservative plays, and he's determined to do so with his Seniors.

Pollodawg
09-13-2013, 09:19 PM
I don't really know how to feel, but I am not really super excited about this. Their defensive line is too good for us to try and block them for 8 seconds while TR finds an open receiver. We don't have the WR experience to throw the ball 40 times a game. That is the kind of offense you need with TR to be successful, and we just don't have the tools.

CadaverDawg
09-13-2013, 09:22 PM
Yay! Now we'll fool nobody on our zone read to our 190 lb RB 3 plays in a row.

Shit. Bye bye creativity

BeastMan
09-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Hoooooorayyyyyyy!!! **** yeah babyyyyyy

I lol'd in real life when I read this

Drugdog
09-13-2013, 09:49 PM
Well it looks like my sock drawer will get organized tomorrow night.

KB21
09-13-2013, 09:53 PM
I really don't think we'll see much of Dak, unless Russell gets hurt. Mullen is determined to run his conservative plays, and he's determined to do so with his Seniors.

He's determined, but he's determined to prove that he can make his offense work with a drop back passer. It has nothing to do with the fact that Tyler is a senior. It has everything to do with the fact that in the history of this offensive style, the offense has not worked with a drop back guy. Dan's ego won't let him make the right decision here. In the long run, it's not a reason to put him on the firing list, because when you look at the quarterbacks coming back for next year and coming in, they are dual threat guys that fit what he actually wants to do on offense. He's damned determined to prove that he can make this work with Tyler at quarterback though.

If he's going to do it with Tyler, I would like to see him take a page out of Noel Mazzone's playbook and run the zone read but package it with a bubble screen instead of the quarterback run. This way, you don't try to force the quarterback run with the slow footed Tyler Russell but you also package something into the play that may keep the defensive end from crashing down on the inside zone on every play since there is no threat for the quarterback run.

http://www.bruinsnation.com/2011/12/24/2651331/mazzone-offense-zone-with-bubble

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1WCF47TbMw

CadaverDawg
09-13-2013, 10:05 PM
He's determined, but he's determined to prove that he can make his offense work with a drop back passer. It has nothing to do with the fact that Tyler is a senior. It has everything to do with the fact that in the history of this offensive style, the offense has not worked with a drop back guy. Dan's ego won't let him make the right decision here. In the long run, it's not a reason to put him on the firing list, because when you look at the quarterbacks coming back for next year and coming in, they are dual threat guys that fit what he actually wants to do on offense. He's damned determined to prove that he can make this work with Tyler at quarterback though.

If he's going to do it with Tyler, I would like to see him take a page out of Noel Mazzone's playbook and run the zone read but package it with a bubble screen instead of the quarterback run. This way, you don't try to force the quarterback run with the slow footed Tyler Russell but you also package something into the play that may keep the defensive end from crashing down on the inside zone on every play since there is no threat for the quarterback run.

http://www.bruinsnation.com/2011/12/24/2651331/mazzone-offense-zone-with-bubble

He's not getting the "firing" talk because he's starting a Senior......he's getting the "firing" talk because of the bolded part I just highlighted in your post.

If you're going to make a dumbass, stubborn, head coaching decision, at least do it in a way that actually fits the QB you're hell bent to play. THAT is why everyone's pissed....including myself

KB21
09-13-2013, 10:09 PM
He's not getting the "firing" talk because he's starting a Senior......he's getting the "firing" talk because of the bolded part I just highlighted. If you're going to make a dumbass, stubborn, head coaching decision, at least do it in a way that actually fits the QB you're hell bent to play. THAT is why everyone's pissed....including myself

No, he's getting the firing talk because many fans don't appreciate what he's been able to do considering the team he had when he took over. He's the head coach of a team that has a fanbase with the worst case of the "grass is always greener" syndrome. It doesn't matter what we do, we always want something else that we think is better. If our fans had their way, John Cohen would have been fired after his second season. MSU fans in general can't see the forest for the trees at times. IMO, MSU fans wouldn't be happy if we had Urban Meyer running the show.

Coach66
09-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Nm

msstate7
09-13-2013, 10:21 PM
No, he's getting the firing talk because many fans don't appreciate what he's been able to do considering the team he had when he took over. He's the head coach of a team that has a fanbase with the worst case of the "grass is always greener" syndrome. It doesn't matter what we do, we always want something else that we think is better. If our fans had their way, John Cohen would have been fired after his second season. MSU fans in general can't see the forest for the trees at times. IMO, MSU fans wouldn't be happy if we had Urban Meyer running the show.

Get us urban and I promise to be happy.

CadaverDawg
09-13-2013, 10:24 PM

There are definitely SOME people that have that outlook, but overall that is BS. Most people are pissed that his "relentless effort" has disappeared, and his holding people accountable applies to everyone except himself and Les. Now I don't agree with the "firing" talk, but I do understand why people are pissed. We had a golden opportunity to skip one of the typical MSU cycles last year, but we shit the bed due to a lack of give a shit from our coach and players.

We can't forget what he's done for us, but that doesn't mean we have to wait for him to drag us back down before holding him accountable. Again, I know it's not time for that yet, but he better start waking the hell up with his offense, and he also better start playing the best players, or the "firing" talk is only going to pick up if we lose to Auburn and go on to win 5 games

I seen it dawg
09-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Nm

Hope your shit is correct.

RougeDawg
09-13-2013, 10:37 PM
Thank god my gut feeling was to grab the half gallon of Makers, over the fifth for tomorrow.

chef dixon
09-13-2013, 10:46 PM
If Russell starts, I'm behind him 100% and willing to give him another shot. Hell he's 1-0 against them anyway.

Coach34
09-13-2013, 11:06 PM
"I think Dak will start so I'm told"

I had someone else tell me this yesterday that is usually pretty clued in- I hope like hell you boys are right

cheewgumm
09-13-2013, 11:09 PM
I'm honestly glad. I just hope they call better plays. Just get it in the hands of playmakers and don't sit everyone who runs sub 4.5 on the bench.

Coach34
09-13-2013, 11:14 PM
Just get it in the hands of playmakers.

Who would you say are our "playmakers" Goat? (no, this isnt "Man of a thousand screen names Goat")

cheewgumm
09-13-2013, 11:26 PM
I'll go with all the short guys:

Lewis
Robinson
Perkins
Holloway

and one tall: Wilson

They should get the most catches. Dak may be great, but I have not seen it yet.

msstate7
09-13-2013, 11:29 PM

Lewis
Robinson
Perkins
Holloway

I'd add Malcolm Johnson to that list. I think he could be a big play threat in the middle of the field

Coach34
09-13-2013, 11:31 PM

Lewis- munchkin WR
Robinson- RB
Perkins- RB
Holloway- RB who plays WR

and why I say we cant throw the ball 40 times- all our playmakers are RB's for the most part

msstate7
09-13-2013, 11:35 PM
and why I say we cant throw the ball 40 times- all our playmakers are RB's for the most part

I agree with this. If we run successful then my playmaker (Malcolm) can really become dangerous off play action

DownwardDawg
09-14-2013, 06:08 AM
Nm

I still think this is possible. Or Tyler will start but Dak will play most of the snaps. Tyler was cleared to play. He was not named the starter...yet.

Bucky Dog
09-14-2013, 07:29 AM
I think Dak starts as well

MrKotter
09-14-2013, 07:35 AM
I'm honestly glad. I just hope they call better plays. Just get it in the hands of playmakers and don't sit everyone who runs sub 4.5 on the bench.

I don't get why a lot of you think the osu problem was all play calling. Russell made poor decisions the entire time he was in there. He picked up right where he left off last year and played like he just wanted the game to be over. Until he plays like he actually wants to win, **** him.

DapperDawg
09-14-2013, 09:33 AM
I appreciate what Mullen has done in the past, but he's getting paid big bucks to perform NOW. Until he starts earning his pay, which he is far from doing, I'm going to be very critical. And if he comes out with another shitty gameplan and loses today, then I'll be more than ready for him to go.

Political Hack
09-14-2013, 10:43 AM

bingo. time to appreciate 3 bowls in a row and hope it's 4.

Political Hack
09-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Holloway is a WR all the way. He just can't catch.

DownwardDawg
09-14-2013, 10:50 AM
I don't get why a lot of you think the osu problem was all play calling. Russell made poor decisions the entire time he was in there. He picked up right where he left off last year and played like he just wanted the game to be over. Until he plays like he actually wants to win, **** him.

He threw a sure pick on the 1st drive. The DB just dropped it.