PDA

View Full Version : Auburn Series Thoughts

Todd4State
04-30-2017, 07:08 PM
I'm not sure that I have much more to add other than what has already been said. It absolutely sucks that we lost this series. But like Coach Cann said last night to the media- all is not lost. Everything is still on the table for us but in typical MSU fashion we've made it much harder on ourselves to win a SEC championship and thus also a National Seed. We also narrowed our margin for error to host although I still think we have a very good chance to do that. I think the two things that really hurt us more than anything this weekend were having to play a doubleheader- even though I did say I thought it would help because we wouldn't have to face their ace I in hindsight think I was wrong about that- and also losing Stovall hurt us. I also think that this series is kind of like when we got swept by Vanderbilt in 2013 and when we get swept by A&M last year. We saw some things happen that didn't go right- but we can adjust and I think it will make us better going forward.

I'm going to kind of skip right to what everyone probably wants to read. I think we can still win the SEC- but to do that I think we need to go no worse than 7-2 and even then that may not be enough. But 7-2 is probably the absolute worst we can do. I will also say that if we can find a way to sweep Texas A&M on the road we probably win the SEC. If we go 2-1 we're in the same boat. If we go 1-2 against them we need to win out in SEC play. We get swept we're probably done as far as the SEC goes, but we still have a chance to host. Also- don't forget that we have the SEC Tournament as well. For us last year it didn't matter because if you win the league you are a National Seed. How we finish will determine what we need to do there as far as hosting and all of that. I think there will be a log jam at the top of the SEC between several teams including MSU and the SEC Tournament may be what the committee uses to separate everyone. At the very least it will be another factor.

What changes do we need to make?

I think we need to move McQuary to the Saturday spot behind Pilkington. Denver is pitching with more confidence coming off of winning the Governor's Cup and then he had another solid relief outing against Auburn where he gave us another three innings of one hit ball. He does need to attack the strike zone more and get ahead of hitters more- but I thought better against Auburn in that regard than he did against Ole Miss. I think he can give us 5-6 IP starting right now- which is what we NEED more than anything right now. Pilkington was outstanding on Friday- if he keeps that up we will be in good shape. I think he might be turning the corner from being good to elite. I would tandem Billingsley and Gordon right now on Sunday and start JB. Gordon has actually been pretty good but he always has the one inning where his mechanics and command fall apart and it kills him. I think I like Gordon better in relief anyway. Barlow, Self, and Price are all solid relief options and I think once the regionals start we're going to see Self and Price become two inning guys rather than one- but it makes things a little more dicey for us right now. I do think that pitching them one inning for now will pay off for us long term. We need to get Plumlee back on track again- he has been pretty solid overall. At the very least we have a legit ace and a solid back end of the bullpen and that's going to help us out long term.

We actually outhit Auburn in game three with 13 hits but only got three runs out of it. I think a good bit of that was because we had Lovelady thrown out at home on a play where 95% of baseball players score but he just isn't physically able to get there because he's had major knee surgery and he is catching the back end of a double header and then MacNamee grounds into a double play with the bases loaded killing a rally. Our lineup works great with Stovall- but he could be out of the year now. So, I think we need to change it up a little bit and move Bragg and LA up to 5-6 and drop Lovelady and MacNamee down. I would probably hit MacNamee 9 and have Poole hit 7th and Lovelady 8th. The first four guys are working fine- Mangum, Rooker, Gridley, and Brown so there is no need to try to fix that. Bragg and LA both strike out a lot but they also can do some damage when they hit the ball. Poole has his moments both good and bad but he also has speed. Lovelady behind him handles the bat pretty well and is good at hitting the ball opposite field so that may present some hit and run opportunities with Poole on base. I think MacNamee might benefit with Mangum and Rooker hitting behind him and he could get some more fastballs to hit.

Brent Rooker is likely going to become one of a handful of players to hit 20 home runs in a season at MSU. The others? Rafael Palmeiro (twice), Will Clark (twice), Bruce Castoria, Tommy Raffo, and Mark Gillaspie.

One thing my grandmother used to always say is "keep your head up" when something less than ideal happened. That's what we need to do right now. And I think if we make those few changes we will be right back to winning games like we have been. If our weakness is playing doubleheaders- we're in good shape.

EngDawg
04-30-2017, 07:36 PM
Did not read war and peace.

Todd4State
04-30-2017, 07:39 PM
People that read more are generally more intelligent so that probably explains your problem.

confucius say
04-30-2017, 08:08 PM
Good points. But 7-2 from here out wins the sec hands down. Aub still has to go to Lsu and OM and Ky would have to go 8-1.

The Federalist Engineer
04-30-2017, 08:17 PM

You should read War and Peace, it's the greatest novel ever written. The summary of the Napoleonic rise and fall is absolutely brilliant and you will never read a better characterization of management under ambiguity than Tolstoy's Prince Bagration

The Federalist Engineer
04-30-2017, 08:24 PM
Good summary Todd but I expect surprises down the stretch. Kentucky has a history of melt downs. Arkansas elbows are probably tingling. Auburn has no history of baseball gonads. LSU is the horse that closes at the end.

As far as us, I think we could go 2-7 or 7-2 on the basis of some heroics or pitching melt downs

It's going to be wild at the end. Given our pitching situation , I am still shocked to be in the hunt.

basedog
04-30-2017, 08:27 PM
To me, Jake's slump really hurt this weekend. He had a few clutch moments and just couldn't produce. For us to finish strong, Jake has to get hot.

Not sure who said Bragg couldn't play third was bad wrong.

I sure hope Brown isn't hurt bad.

Maroon Wizardry
04-30-2017, 08:34 PM
it is the least efficient novel ever written.

State82
04-30-2017, 08:49 PM
I think 4-5 wins is our best scenario down the stretch. Which is outstanding considering our circumstances.

somebodyshotmypaw
04-30-2017, 09:09 PM
People that read more are generally more intelligent so that probably explains your problem.

Hahaha. I always enjoy your weekend summaries. Keep it up.

somebodyshotmypaw
04-30-2017, 09:11 PM
I agree on the starters. I would go Pilkington, McQuary, Billingsley this weekend at A&M.

WPDawg
04-30-2017, 09:13 PM
you lost my interest with the "but in typical MSU fashion" comment and could not go through the rest. These guys have beat the odds this year and produced well enough to be in 1st place. Not sure the intent of your comment there....

Eric Nies Grind Time
04-30-2017, 10:08 PM
Not sure how it is in typical MSU fashion...i think auburn is just the better team.

Todd4State
04-30-2017, 10:46 PM
you lost my interest with the "but in typical MSU fashion" comment and could not go through the rest. These guys have beat the odds this year and produced well enough to be in 1st place. Not sure the intent of your comment there....

I'm just saying we always seem to have to do things the hard way in any sport. We never seem to just blow people out or win the SEC by five games or more.

Let's quit being sensitive here. It wasn't a slight at anyone.

Todd4State
04-30-2017, 10:50 PM
Not sure how it is in typical MSU fashion...i think auburn is just the better team.

I'd like to play them again in the SEC Tournament. Or in a situation where we don't have a doubleheader. If they're "just the better team"- I don't think they're much better at all.

I think we had a bad weekend where a couple of things didn't go our way. That happens sometimes unfortunately.

BeardoMSU
04-30-2017, 10:50 PM

https://media.tenor.co/images/aeb5c1e1d94d758a10940a7526e98469/tenor.gif

Todd4State
04-30-2017, 10:53 PM
Good summary Todd but I expect surprises down the stretch. Kentucky has a history of melt downs. Arkansas elbows are probably tingling. Auburn has no history of baseball gonads. LSU is the horse that closes at the end.

As far as us, I think we could go 2-7 or 7-2 on the basis of some heroics or pitching melt downs

It's going to be wild at the end. Given our pitching situation , I am still shocked to be in the hunt.

I agree. It will definitely go down to the last day of the season. I think Cann will have us ready to go and I think he will make some of the adjustments we've been talking about. Let's just hope we don't have any more doubleheaders and that the weather cooperates.

maroonmania
04-30-2017, 10:53 PM
To me, Jake's slump really hurt this weekend. He had a few clutch moments and just couldn't produce. For us to finish strong, Jake has to get hot.

Not sure who said Bragg couldn't play third was bad wrong.

I sure hope Brown isn't hurt bad.

It really could very well be that Jake's decision to punch a wall could be the difference in winning and not winning the SEC this year. We totally lost him as a pitcher which was critical given our depleted staff but he is also somewhat diminished as a hitter over what he would have been with 2 healthy hands. The issue with his injury is that it could have been avoided while none of the other injuries we have had this year fall into that category.

BeardoMSU
04-30-2017, 10:54 PM

Not everything can be....
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/a5/23/5b/a5235b7d973dae28e934e8da8a4f1ad8.gif

Todd4State
04-30-2017, 10:55 PM
Hahaha. I always enjoy your weekend summaries. Keep it up.

Thanks and I will. It just amazes me that someone who alleges that they didn't read the post- which was actually one of my shorter ones summarizing the weekend- would take the time to say that they didn't read it.

BeardoMSU
04-30-2017, 10:59 PM
Thanks and I will. It just amazes me that someone who alleges that they didn't read the post- which was actually one of my shorter ones summarizing the weekend- would take the time to say that they didn't read it.

Lots of people like reading your posts, Todd. Keep it up.

Todd4State
04-30-2017, 11:03 PM
It really could very well be that Jake's decision to punch a wall could be the difference in winning and not winning the SEC this year. We totally lost him as a pitcher which was critical given our depleted staff but he is also somewhat diminished as a hitter over what he would have been with 2 healthy hands. The issue with his injury is that it could have been avoided while none of the other injuries we have had this year fall into that category.

Jake's problem as a hitter is he swings at everything that is in the area code and he tries to do too much. He was like that with healthy hands. If he would just take pitches that are obviously out of the strike zone he would be even better than he is. His barrel control is so good plus he never tries to do too much when he does swing is why he at least is able to hit over .350- but since he is often times hitting balls that aren't that good to hit he very rarely hits extra base hits. If he had more plate discipline he would hit over .400 easily and add more extra base hits as well.

As far as the pitching goes it would be nice to have him as an option for us especially against LH hitters.

msbulldog
05-01-2017, 06:07 AM
I enjoy your posts Todd, especially the shorter ones HaHa.

smootness
05-01-2017, 08:16 AM
I'm just saying we always seem to have to do things the hard way in any sport. We never seem to just blow people out or win the SEC by five games or more.

Who the heck does?

EngDawg
05-01-2017, 08:37 AM
Well y'all did get me, but I stand by my belief that consise and to the point is better. In any case carry on.

Todd4State
05-01-2017, 08:44 AM
Well y'all did get me, but I stand by my belief that consise and to the point is better. In any case carry on.

It goes deeper than that. If you don't want to read something most people just don't read it and just move on and don't take the time to post it.

I probably would have ignored it but I've also seen you bash me on sixpack before so that makes me think it's some kind of personal problem. On top of that you rarely add anything of any value to either board. If you disagree with something say why you do and then we can have discussion about it.

Todd4State
05-01-2017, 08:47 AM
Who the heck does?

Per my perception- Alabama football and LSU baseball. It's probably not true I know. I'm just saying it would be better for my blood pressure if we just blew everyone out. On the other hand winning in overtime and the 1999 football season were pretty exciting so there is a trade off.

Dawgpatrol
05-01-2017, 09:28 AM
I'd like to play them again in the SEC Tournament. Or in a situation where we don't have a doubleheader. If they're "just the better team"- I don't think they're much better at all.

I think we had a bad weekend where a couple of things didn't go our way. That happens sometimes unfortunately.
I agree, would not mind playing Auburn again, I think we match up very well against them and could have easily taken 2 out of 3 if not swept them this weekend provided we threw more strikes and didn't hit about 11 batters in 2 games. Much rather play them than Kentucky again, Kentucky in my opinion is the best overall club we have played this year considering all aspects of the game, hitting, pitching and fielding.

smootness
05-01-2017, 09:30 AM
Per my perception- Alabama football and LSU baseball. It's probably not true I know. I'm just saying it would be better for my blood pressure if we just blew everyone out. On the other hand winning in overtime and the 1999 football season were pretty exciting so there is a trade off.

Haha well, this is not the team to do that. Last year, maybe. This year, not a chance.

We should view any accomplishments by this year's team as gravy. We probably won't be able to hold out and win the SEC championship this year, and that's just fine. Hosting a regional would be a great accomplishment for this team, and winning a regional would be phenomenal. Anything beyond that is pretty unbelievable.

Dawgpatrol
05-01-2017, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure that I have much more to add other than what has already been said. It absolutely sucks that we lost this series. But like Coach Cann said last night to the media- all is not lost. Everything is still on the table for us but in typical MSU fashion we've made it much harder on ourselves to win a SEC championship and thus also a National Seed. We also narrowed our margin for error to host although I still think we have a very good chance to do that. I think the two things that really hurt us more than anything this weekend were having to play a doubleheader- even though I did say I thought it would help because we wouldn't have to face their ace I in hindsight think I was wrong about that- and also losing Stovall hurt us. I also think that this series is kind of like when we got swept by Vanderbilt in 2013 and when we get swept by A&M last year. We saw some things happen that didn't go right- but we can adjust and I think it will make us better going forward.

I'm going to kind of skip right to what everyone probably wants to read. I think we can still win the SEC- but to do that I think we need to go no worse than 7-2 and even then that may not be enough. But 7-2 is probably the absolute worst we can do. I will also say that if we can find a way to sweep Texas A&M on the road we probably win the SEC. If we go 2-1 we're in the same boat. If we go 1-2 against them we need to win out in SEC play. We get swept we're probably done as far as the SEC goes, but we still have a chance to host. Also- don't forget that we have the SEC Tournament as well. For us last year it didn't matter because if you win the league you are a National Seed. How we finish will determine what we need to do there as far as hosting and all of that. I think there will be a log jam at the top of the SEC between several teams including MSU and the SEC Tournament may be what the committee uses to separate everyone. At the very least it will be another factor.

What changes do we need to make?

I think we need to move McQuary to the Saturday spot behind Pilkington. Denver is pitching with more confidence coming off of winning the Governor's Cup and then he had another solid relief outing against Auburn where he gave us another three innings of one hit ball. He does need to attack the strike zone more and get ahead of hitters more- but I thought better against Auburn in that regard than he did against Ole Miss. I think he can give us 5-6 IP starting right now- which is what we NEED more than anything right now. Pilkington was outstanding on Friday- if he keeps that up we will be in good shape. I think he might be turning the corner from being good to elite. I would tandem Billingsley and Gordon right now on Sunday and start JB. Gordon has actually been pretty good but he always has the one inning where his mechanics and command fall apart and it kills him. I think I like Gordon better in relief anyway. Barlow, Self, and Price are all solid relief options and I think once the regionals start we're going to see Self and Price become two inning guys rather than one- but it makes things a little more dicey for us right now. I do think that pitching them one inning for now will pay off for us long term. We need to get Plumlee back on track again- he has been pretty solid overall. At the very least we have a legit ace and a solid back end of the bullpen and that's going to help us out long term.

We actually outhit Auburn in game three with 13 hits but only got three runs out of it. I think a good bit of that was because we had Lovelady thrown out at home on a play where 95% of baseball players score but he just isn't physically able to get there because he's had major knee surgery and he is catching the back end of a double header and then MacNamee grounds into a double play with the bases loaded killing a rally. Our lineup works great with Stovall- but he could be out of the year now. So, I think we need to change it up a little bit and move Bragg and LA up to 5-6 and drop Lovelady and MacNamee down. I would probably hit MacNamee 9 and have Poole hit 7th and Lovelady 8th. The first four guys are working fine- Mangum, Rooker, Gridley, and Brown so there is no need to try to fix that. Bragg and LA both strike out a lot but they also can do some damage when they hit the ball. Poole has his moments both good and bad but he also has speed. Lovelady behind him handles the bat pretty well and is good at hitting the ball opposite field so that may present some hit and run opportunities with Poole on base. I think MacNamee might benefit with Mangum and Rooker hitting behind him and he could get some more fastballs to hit.

Brent Rooker is likely going to become one of a handful of players to hit 20 home runs in a season at MSU. The others? Rafael Palmeiro (twice), Will Clark (twice), Bruce Castoria, Tommy Raffo, and Mark Gillaspie.

One thing my grandmother used to always say is "keep your head up" when something less than ideal happened. That's what we need to do right now. And I think if we make those few changes we will be right back to winning games like we have been. If our weakness is playing doubleheaders- we're in good shape.
Some great observations, at this point I guess one can only put someone on the mound and see where his stuff is that day. If we cut down on the walks and hit batsmen Saturday I think we win at least one of those. way, way to many free bags given up and some cheap runs. When we score 8 runs we should win the game. Rooker, Gridley and Brown are swinging it well and Jake will get back in synch just a matter of time. Hope Bragg can continue to fill in for hunters spot so to speak as well as he did this weekend, gonna be a wild finish, I think we go as far as our pitching can take us.

confucius say
05-01-2017, 09:41 AM
I don't think auburn is "just better" than we are.

From Saturday alone:
15 walks
7 hit batsmen
8 wild pitches and 1 pass ball

We pitched it horribly. Plus numerous baserunning blunders and sat night we had bases loaded with one out twice and got 0 runs.

smootness
05-01-2017, 09:53 AM

From Saturday alone:
15 walks
7 hit batsmen

We pitched it horribly. Plus numerous baserunning blunders and sat night we had bases loaded with one out twice and got 0 runs.

Is pitching it horribly and bad baserunning not part of who we are, though?

I mean, our pitching is thin and lacks top-end talent for the most part. That is part of the reason Auburn may just be a better team than we are. We have played above our heads for most of the year, especially in conference. It's not a huge shock that for a couple games we couldn't continue to do that.

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Todd, always enjoy your posts. I have a set amount of time on my hands each day that I use to read ALL of the MSU boards, so I don't have any complaints when they are long. If I don't have time to read them all one day, usually the next day is slow and I can catch up. So, no complaints from me on the length. The longer, the better.

Todd, I don't see us going 7-2. I have us at 6-3. I think A&M has found themselves and is starting to make their move. On the road, I have them taking the series 2 of 3. If we had them at home, I'd switch that around. I hope you're right though in the end. As bad as Ga. is, taking all 3 on the road still won't be easy. We can't pitch like we did this past weekend and win all 3. Ga. should have beaten Fla. on Saturday, but blew it in the 9th. I have us taking 2 of 3 from LSU the last weekend.

I agree with you on all personnel changes that you mentioned. I've been saying since before Jake's injury that he needed to be more patient at the plate. He got away with his over aggressiveness before his injury, but it's not working for him now. He has to be more selective at the plate. I kidded with a friend on Saturday that if I were Cann I'd send him to the plate without a bat for the first two pitches and then send the diamond girl out with it for him. Stovall has less than half the number of bats Mangum has (88 to 186) and only one less walk for the season (6 to 7). As great as Mangum has been, we've left a lot of opportunities on the table for him to be on base.

The cream always rises to the top, and it's going to happen this year as well. We started to see that the prior weekend when Auburn beat Ark 2 of 3, Ky beat LSU 2 of 3, and Fla beat So. Carolina 2 of 3. This past weekend OM beat Ark 2 of 3, Ky beat So Carolina 2 of 3, and unfortunately, Auburn beat MSU 2 of 3.

So, in the past 2 weeks we've seen Ky solidify its spot at the top of the East, Fla. maintain pace with a looming showdown with Ky to end the season, Auburn fight its way to the top of the West, A&M put itself in position to be a factor in the end, MSU and LSU maintain a spot at the table, and Ark. begin to fade some.

This weekend will continue to sort things out. Ky is cruising into weekends with Ga. and Tenn the next two. They and Fla with play a 3 game, winner take all on the last weekend. In the West, I feel Auburn has placed themselves in the best spot to take the division. But I have two teams (MSU/A&M) finishing one game back and two teams (Ark/LSU) finishing two games back. So the west will definitely continue to be a shootout until the very end.

It's unfortunate that we have had to go through a season with so many injuries. If we incur one more, especially on the infield, I'm not sure what we would do. Can Cody Brown play SS? I'm sure he'd give it a hell of a shot, giving it his all, and I'm sure probably do it pretty well. Yes, I know we'd move LA over there first, but I was just trying to make a point. The good news is, it gives you hope for next year that maybe you get most of these arms back, the young hurlers from this year will be a year older, wiser, and more experienced, and you have a full roster of arms to run to the mound. You go into next year with your Friday night starter, set up man and closer already in place. That's a strong nucleus to build a staff with going into a season. You also have a good nucleus of position players to build a team around....Stovall, Alexander, Poole, MacNamee, Skelton, Vansau. Who knows what Mangum will be thinking. He'll still have leverage after a jr. season if he comes back. He may want to experience one more year of college, especially knowing he'll be playing with a good nucleus of players returning and incoming. I don't think it's a given that Gridley leaves. I know he's a jr, but my gut is trying to tell me something with him. Same with Bragg. Will just see what his thinking is this summer. I definitely don't see those last two going high enough to make any type life changing money to sign.

Anyway, it's been a lot more fun this season than I thought it would be after Ark. and under Cann and with a new ballpark on the way, all I can think about is how great the opportunity will be for MSU baseball in the years to come.

msstate7
05-01-2017, 11:21 AM

From Saturday alone:
15 walks
7 hit batsmen

They beat us at our place without their SEC pitcher of the year front runner. Hard for me to say we're better

confucius say
05-01-2017, 11:26 AM
Is pitching it horribly and bad baserunning not part of who we are, though?

I mean, our pitching is thin and lacks top-end talent for the most part. That is part of the reason Auburn may just be a better team than we are. We have played above our heads for most of the year, especially in conference. It's not a huge shock that for a couple games we couldn't continue to do that.

We have not pitched that poorly all year in conference. That was worst two game stretch by far in terms of walks, hbp, and wild pitches. It's not surprising considering our injuries, but no, that's not who we have been.

And we have not been prone to having bases loaded with less than two outs and scoring 0 runs, especially multiple times in a game.

We do run into out a lot though, I agree.

confucius say
05-01-2017, 11:28 AM
They beat us at our place without their SEC pitcher of the year front runner. Hard for me to say we're better

I'll gladly give them Mize for that series if we get our 9 injured pitchers. Deal?

HSVDawg
05-01-2017, 12:27 PM

For me, its pretty hard to complain about a team taking the hard way to a conference title when that same team, on paper, has no business even making a regional. Just sayin

Dawgpatrol
05-01-2017, 01:43 PM
For me, its pretty hard to complain about a team taking the hard way to a conference title when that same team, on paper, has no business even making a regional. Just sayin

Ditto x 2, I don't believe this team has been lucky, in fact I think they have had horrible luck with the injuries and the like. Their pretty talented and mentally tough. You don't win 14 games in this league on luck, maybe 1 or 2 but not 14 of them, just ask Bama, Georgia, Tennessee etc...can't wait to see the rest of the season play out, should be some good nail biting fun. Go dawgs.

The Federalist Engineer
05-01-2017, 01:48 PM
I'll gladly give them Mize for that series if we get our 9 injured pitchers. Deal?

You said it. We are currently going to war with decent JUCOs and backup field players on the mound. just two more healthy 2015 signees would make all the difference in the world.

msstate7
05-01-2017, 02:02 PM

Yeah, I'm not denying we're disadvantaged pitching wise. I do think it's a difference though bc mize has been part of auburn's team this year and will be back. Our TJ boys have contributed very little if any to our success this year and won't be back this season

confucius say
05-01-2017, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I'm not denying we're disadvantaged pitching wise. I do think it's a difference though bc mize has been part of auburn's team this year and will be back. Our TJ boys have contributed very little if any to our success this year and won't be back this season

I hear ya, but Mize would have started game 3, a game where auburn held us to two runs through 8. I don't think Mize would have done any better than that. Keegan Thompson didn't.

And our TJ guys aside, I'd give them Mize just for a 100% healthy Mangum and Stovall.

MarketingBully
05-01-2017, 03:50 PM

Very interesting you say Mize will be back. He has elbow soreness and it could very well turn into a TJ situation if Butch isn't careful with him. I don't think he will be a factor and I think Auburn wilts down the stretch. We gave Auburn that first game due to a myriad of reasons we have already discussed. Game 2 of that double header was very similar as well only at the plate. I think if we get them in the SEC tournament we can beat them.

MarketingBully
05-01-2017, 03:53 PM
I hear ya, but Mize would have started game 3, a game where auburn held us to two runs through 8. I don't think Mize would have done any better than that. Keegan Thompson didn't.

And our TJ guys aside, I'd give them Mize just for a 100% healthy Mangum and Stovall.

I don't think Mize would have gone that long if at all if we had played the game on Sunday. I think if it is a Friday, Saturday, Sunday series we win it 2-1. Lovelady sure as shit doesn't get thrown out at the plate if that wasn't the tail end of a doudleheader. In hindsight since we have two catchers, I dunno maybe Skelton should have caught the second one. Another silly coaching move that did cost us a run in the second game.

MarketingBully
05-01-2017, 04:13 PM
I don't think Mize would have gone that long if at all if we had played the game on Sunday. I think if it is a Friday, Saturday, Sunday series we win it 2-1. Lovelady sure as shit doesn't get thrown out at the plate if that wasn't the tail end of a doudleheader. In hindsight since we have two catchers, I dunno maybe Skelton should have caught the second one. Another silly coaching move that did cost us a run in the second game.

And I want to add that I think Lovelady is a warrior and a good player for us but since we had Dustin Skelton wouldn't it have been better to use another catcher to catch one of those games? Especially since both Gordon's and Billingsly's best pitches are breaking balls. That was a hell of a lot Cann was asking of Lovelady out there on Saturday and he did let several balls go and then they asked him to go home on a throwing error which even below average runners beat home but because Lovelady caught a doubleheader he was noticibly slowed even from his standards.

Just the little things in coaching decisions make the difference in wins and losses. Cann/Henderson made all the wrong moves Saturday where they have been making all the right moves. Shit happens. I think after having a week off and a renewed perspective we will see decisions that were similar to what we made to get on this run. One day doesn't make or break you regarding coaching decisions. It did hurt more on Saturday because it was two games and not one. I know Cann and Henderson will see what mistakes were made correct them and go on a 6-3/7-2 stretch these last three weeks. Will that win the SEC? Who knows? But I think it will put us in position to do some special things in the post season. Here's to taking 2/3 from A&M and everyone having a great Maroon week!

basedog
05-01-2017, 04:40 PM
And I want to add that I think Lovelady is a warrior and a good player for us but since we had Dustin Skelton wouldn't it have been better to use another catcher to catch one of those games? Especially since both Gordon's and Billingsly's best pitches are breaking balls. That was a hell of a lot Cann was asking of Lovelady out there on Saturday and he did let several balls go and then they asked him to go home on a throwing error which even below average runners beat home but because Lovelady caught a doubleheader he was noticibly slowed even from his standards.

Just the little things in coaching decisions make the difference in wins and losses. Cann/Henderson made all the wrong moves Saturday where they have been making all the right moves. Shit happens. I think after having a week off and a renewed perspective we will see decisions that were similar to what we made to get on this run. One day doesn't make or break you regarding coaching decisions. It did hurt more on Saturday because it was two games and not one. I know Cann and Henderson will see what mistakes were made correct them and go on a 6-3/7-2 stretch these last three weeks. Will that win the SEC? Who knows? But I think it will put us in position to do some special things in the post season. Here's to taking 2/3 from A&M and everyone having a great Maroon week!

Why do you blame Cann for Lovelady running home? He wasn't on third coaching, plus how do we know Lovelady did it on his own or not. Can't understand your thinking Cann cost us cause he surely didn't send him.

MarketingBully
05-01-2017, 04:55 PM
Why do you blame Cann for Lovelady running home? He wasn't on third coaching, plus how do we know Lovelady did it on his own or not. Can't understand your thinking Cann cost us cause he surely didn't send him.

My whole point is we have two catchers and should have used both for the doubleheader. If Cann at least makes that decision, Lovelady isn't even in that position to head home. It's not that hard to grasp.

Homedawg
05-01-2017, 05:07 PM
My whole point is we have two catchers and should have used both for the doubleheader. If Cann at least makes that decision, Lovelady isn't even in that position to head home. It's not that hard to grasp.

Correct we might not have had him on base. Look, just because you win doesn't mean the coaches did everything right. And just because you lose doesn't mean they did everything wrong. Unfortunately, about 90% of this board can't grasp that. Cann wasn't stupid when we were 12-10 and he didn't take some magic pill to go on the streak we went on. And didn't return back to stupid.

basedog
05-01-2017, 05:11 PM
Correct we might not have had him on base. Look, just because you win doesn't mean the coaches did everything right. And just because you lose doesn't mean they did everything wrong. Unfortunately, about 90% of this board can't grasp that. Cann wasn't stupid when we were 12-10 and he didn't take some magic pill to go on the streak we went on. And didn't return back to stupid.

Well said.

msbulldog
05-01-2017, 06:26 PM

I'm extremely proud of this team, probably prouder than any team since I started watching in 1973. Rep given.

I seen it dawg
05-01-2017, 08:15 PM

It's really comical at times some of the shit people get behind.

MarketingBully
05-01-2017, 09:46 PM
95% of the board during the game threads could predict the outcome of both of those games based on dumb pitching moves on Saturday. It wasn't rocket science. If you can't admit Cann/Henderson had a bad day on Saturday regarding their coaching moves I don't know what to tell you.

I seen it dawg
05-02-2017, 07:29 PM
95% of the board during the game threads could predict the outcome of both of those games based on dumb pitching moves on Saturday. It wasn't rocket science. If you can't admit Cann/Henderson had a bad day on Saturday regarding their coaching moves I don't know what to tell you.

I'm glad because there isn't a ****ing thing about baseball YOU can tell me that I don't already know.