PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Renfroe really slumping

somebodyshotmypaw
04-30-2017, 06:10 PM
As they play in the bottom of the 11th, Renfroe is 0-5 to drop his average to .216. He is 2-22 in his last 5 games (including today). Hope he heats up. Had been staying around .250 most of the season.

somebodyshotmypaw
04-30-2017, 06:13 PM
And wonder boy rookie Dansby Swanson hitting .156

lamont
04-30-2017, 06:13 PM
troll

somebodyshotmypaw
04-30-2017, 06:16 PM
troll

Not trolling at all. Just stating facts. I do hope he heats up. Would love to see him hit .260 this year.

msstate7
04-30-2017, 06:17 PM
Bregman -1 war
Renfroe -0.2 war
Swanson -0.7 war

All will be good. Don't freak out over SSSs just yet

somebodyshotmypaw
04-30-2017, 06:19 PM
Bregman -1 war
Renfroe -0.2 war
Swanson -0.7 war

It's definitely early. Renfroe can be streaky. At some point he probably goes on a 10-game tear.

Dawg61
04-30-2017, 06:20 PM
I just want Renfroe to hit double digits in walks this year. I have my doubts

BoomBoom
04-30-2017, 06:38 PM
Bregman -1 war
Renfroe -0.2 war
Swanson -0.7 war

all are at the point when MLB pitchers start making their adjustments. about 200 ABs. the hitter has to adjust in turn. some adjust, some never do.

(you'd think in today's stat driven world that MLB teams would look at the minor league tendencies and pitch off of that, but for some reason they don't.)

ShotgunDawg
04-30-2017, 06:42 PM
Benintendi 1.4 WAR. Cough cough

ShotgunDawg
04-30-2017, 06:45 PM
all are at the point when MLB pitchers start making their adjustments. about 200 ABs. the hitter has to adjust in turn. some adjust, some never do.

(you'd think in today's stat driven world that MLB teams would look at the minor league tendencies and pitch off of that, but for some reason they don't.)

They do, but it's a different world in the big leagues. ML pitcher will see if you can hit a fastball first and then go from there.

You are correct though, most hitters have trouble from about their 200th-500th AB. If they adjust through that, they are usually fine.

The Federalist Engineer
04-30-2017, 07:36 PM
As they play in the bottom of the 11th, Renfroe is 0-5 to drop his average to .216. He is 2-22 in his last 5 games (including today). Hope he heats up. Had been staying around .250 most of the season.

216 has kept BJ Upton with a MLB salary for more than 10 years, hunter will be fine

lamont
04-30-2017, 07:43 PM
216 has kept BJ Upton with a MLB salary for more than 10 years, hunter will be fine

It was always my assertion his bat couldnt keep him in MLB. .215 probably will keep him up the whole season tho in SD. He probably adjusts somewhat and ends up in the .235 range by season's end

msstate7
04-30-2017, 07:49 PM
Swanson has an avg exit velocity of 89.65 (MLB avg is 87.69) with a BABIP of .177. I think that shows he's having some really tough luck. Swanson is gonna be fine

Compare that to benintendi's avg exit velocity of 85.37 with a BABIP of .362

The Federalist Engineer
04-30-2017, 07:55 PM
Swanson has an avg exit velocity of 89.65 (MLB avg is 87.69) with a BABIP of .177. I think that shows he's having some really tough luck. Swanson is gonna be fine

Hunter and Dansby will be starters in the All Star game in a couple of years. Hunter was awesome last year, now pitchers have adjusted, now he will adjust

somebodyshotmypaw
04-30-2017, 08:13 PM
Hunter and Dansby will be starters in the All Star game in a couple of years. Hunter was awesome last year, now pitchers have adjusted, now he will adjust

It's early. A 2-22 stretch can kill your average, just like a 6-10 stretch can make it jump because of the limited number of at-bats this early in the season. I also think he will adjust. San Diego will be patient with him. He just needs to keep his confidence up. I'm hoping he has a long career.

But we are seeing what everyone knew. He can flat play right field. He has the power. The question was, is, and always will be, strikeout to walk ratio and batting average. That will never change. His power and arm will never be a question. It will always be strikeouts, walks, and batting average. Always.

smootness
05-01-2017, 10:09 AM
Dang it, who turned on the 34 bat signal?

BoomBoom
05-01-2017, 05:48 PM
They do, but it's a different world in the big leagues. ML pitcher will see if you can hit a fastball first and then go from there.

You are correct though, most hitters have trouble from about their 200th-500th AB. If they adjust through that, they are usually fine.

exactly. in today's world why do they not already know if they can hit a fastball?

ShotgunDawg
05-01-2017, 06:25 PM
exactly. in today's world why do they not already know if they can hit a fastball?

I should have said they will try to find the holes in the swing with the FB before moving on to something else.

In general, yes every MLB hitter can hit a FB, but not every MLB hitter can hit a FB in certain spots. You start with the easiest, most efficient thing to execute & go from there. Breaking balls are difficult to throw for strikes, so pitchers generally want to avoid them if they can. You always want starting pitchers to pitch off their FB because it becomes virtually impossible to control pitch counts & eat innings if they can't

ShotgunDawg
05-01-2017, 06:32 PM

Compare that to benintendi's avg exit velocity of 85.37 with a BABIP of .362

Benintendi & Swanson aren't close to the same level of hitter. Benintendi as a K% of 14.7% & a BB% of 7.8% to Swanson's 25% & 5%.

Benny also hits for more power.

Better pay close attention because Benintendi has a chance to turn into this generations Wade Boggs type hitter. Dude is a rake job.

msstate7
05-01-2017, 07:13 PM
Benintendi & Swanson aren't close to the same level of hitter. Benintendi as a K% of 14.7% & a BB% of 7.8% to Swanson's 25% & 5%.

Benny also hits for more power.

Better pay close attention because Benintendi has a chance to turn into this generations Wade Boggs type hitter. Dude is a rake job.

I'm certainly not claiming Swanson will be a better hitter than benintendi bc I don't believe that, but I think you're judging both waaaaayyyy too early. Neither have 250 MLB PAs yet. Both are at approx 100 PAs in '17 and you're using those numbers to portray their careers?

ShotgunDawg
05-01-2017, 08:07 PM
I'm certainly not claiming Swanson will be a better hitter than benintendi bc I don't believe that, but I think you're judging both waaaaayyyy too early. Neither have 250 MLB PAs yet. Both are at approx 100 PAs in '17 and you're using those numbers to portray their careers?

I don't judge players off stats. I judge players off physical ingredients.

msstate7
05-01-2017, 08:12 PM
I don't judge players off stats. I judge players off physical ingredients.

What does that even mean? Benintendi is 5'11" 175 lbs. What physical ingredients?

BoomBoom
05-01-2017, 08:16 PM
What does that even mean? Benintendi is 5'11" 175 lbs. What physical ingredients?

Benintendo has the tools. Swanson has a high floor, low ceiling. Benintendo has a high ceiling. (No idea what his floor is.)

ShotgunDawg
05-01-2017, 08:17 PM

The measurements you just mentioned are meaningless in baseball. There are more hall of fame hitters under 6'0" than above.

Most great hitters have short arms, natural rhythm and flow, twitch, and electric strength in their forearms and hands. They have total meat claws. On a scale of 1-10, Benintendi's bat speed is an 8 or 9. Shaking Benintendi's hand is like shaking hands with a crow bar.

Great hitters produce bat speed with looseness and ease of operation. not strength based swings.

BoomBoom
05-01-2017, 08:21 PM
I should have said they will try to find the holes in the swing with the FB before moving on to something else.

In general, yes every MLB hitter can hit a FB, but not every MLB hitter can hit a FB in certain spots. You start with the easiest, most efficient thing to execute & go from there. Breaking balls are difficult to throw for strikes, so pitchers generally want to avoid them if they can. You always want starting pitchers to pitch off their FB because it becomes virtually impossible to control pitch counts & eat innings if they can't

You would think they could figure that out from the minors (and ST). Filter out the average or worse FBs and make a heat map of what is left. Maybe teams don't share info enough for that to happen, but you would think the data is there. Maybe that info just isnt available or accurate?

ShotgunDawg
05-01-2017, 08:23 PM
You would think they could figure that out from the minors (and ST). Filter out the average or worse FBs and make a heat map of what is left. Maybe teams don't share info enough for that to happen, but you would think the data is there. Maybe that info just isnt available or accurate?

Of course they do, but guys become a ML hitter because they abliderate minor league pitching.

Do you think Justin Verlander cares if the guy could hit a AAA fastball?

Todd4State
05-02-2017, 01:01 AM

I think that's the difference between guys in MLB and guys that don't make it. MLB hitters/pitchers are able to constantly adjust throughout their career. The ones that don't adjust don't last long or flame out after a year if they're lucky.

Dawg61
05-02-2017, 05:28 AM
The measurements you just mentioned are meaningless in baseball. There are more hall of fame hitters under 6'0" than above.

Most great hitters have short arms, natural rhythm and flow, twitch, and electric strength in their forearms and hands. They have total meat claws. On a scale of 1-10, Benintendi's bat speed is an 8 or 9. Shaking Benintendi's hand is like shaking hands with a crow bar.

Great hitters produce bat speed with looseness and ease of operation. not strength based swings.

This post is on some RougeDawg level stupid. Of the top 25 all-time homerun hitters in baseball there is only two players that are under 6'0" and both are 5'11". Willie Mays and Harmon Killebrew. Two guys outta 25 that are both 1 inch from 6 feet tall and both played 60 years ago which btw the average male height increase an inch every 100 years so yea you're pretty much full of shit. Length and torque will always hit a ball farther than "short arms with meat claws".

dawgday166
05-02-2017, 06:16 AM
Of the top 25 all-time homerun hitters in baseball there is only two players that are under 6'0" and both are 5'11". Willie Mays and Harmon Killebrew. Two guys outta 25 that are both 1 inch from 6 feet tall and both played 60 years ago which btw the average male height increase an inch every 100 years so yea you're pretty much full of shit. Length and torque will always hit a ball farther than "short arms with meat claws".

You're right on this one ... as bad as I hate to say it LOL. For those not so renowned as HR hitters Tony Gwynn was 5' 11". Rod Carew was 6' 0" and Wade Boggs was 6' 2".

Ty Cobb was 6' 1"; Hornsby 5' 11"; Shoeless Joe 6' 1";

A compact swing is a must usually ... unlike Andruw Jones' long looping swing. Andruw had glaring holes in his swing. Exceptional defensive player tho. Chipper batted .303 lifetime and was 6' 4" tall.

msstate7
05-02-2017, 07:01 AM
You're right on this one ... as bad as I hate to say it LOL. For those not so renowned as HR hitters Tony Gwynn was 5' 11". Rod Carew was 6' 0" and Wade Boggs was 6' 2".

Ty Cobb was 6' 1"; Hornsby 5' 11"; Shoeless Joe 6' 1";

A compact swing is a must usually ... unlike Andruw Jones' long looping swing. Andruw had glaring holes in his swing. Exceptional defensive player tho. Chipper batted .303 lifetime and was 6' 4" tall.

2016 MLB leaders...

oWAR:
1. Trout 6'2 235
2. Altuve 5'6 165
3. Donaldson 6'1 210
4. Bryant 6'5 230
5. Correa 6'4 215

OPS:
1. Ortiz 6'3 230 (yeah right)
2. Trout
3. Murphy 6'1 220
4. Votto 6'2 220
5. Freeman!!!!! 6'5 220

Avg:
1. LeMahieu 6'4 215
2. Murphy
3. Altuve
4. Votto
5. Blackmon 6'3 210

Top 5 positional players in '17 draft (Baseball America):
1. Hunter Greene 6'3 205
2. Brandan McKay 6'2 212
4. Austin Beck 6'1 200
5. Jaren Kendall 6'0 190
7. Royce Lewis 6'0 190

So, minus an absolute freak in Altuve, it's all 6'0 190 and up. I'm not saying Benintendi won't be good... he absolutely will be, but no one is looking for short, skinny hitters to put in the middle of their order.

dawgday166
05-02-2017, 07:21 AM
2016 MLB leaders...

So, minus an absolute freak in Altuve, it's all 6'0 190 and up. I'm not saying Benintendi won't be good... he absolutely will be, but no one is looking for short, skinny hitters to put in the middle of their order.

I wouldn't be.

Tbonewannabe
05-02-2017, 08:25 AM
2016 MLB leaders...

oWAR:
1. Trout 6'2 235
2. Altuve 5'6 165
3. Donaldson 6'1 210
4. Bryant 6'5 230
5. Correa 6'4 215

OPS:
1. Ortiz 6'3 230 (yeah right)
2. Trout
3. Murphy 6'1 220
4. Votto 6'2 220
5. Freeman!!!!! 6'5 220

Avg:
1. LeMahieu 6'4 215
2. Murphy
3. Altuve
4. Votto
5. Blackmon 6'3 210

Top 5 positional players in '17 draft (Baseball America):
1. Hunter Greene 6'3 205
2. Brandan McKay 6'2 212
4. Austin Beck 6'1 200
5. Jaren Kendall 6'0 190
7. Royce Lewis 6'0 190

If you have short arms then you better generate a lot of bat speed. It is why they say "he got his arms extended and blasted it". Hunter, Wes Rea, Cole Gordon, and Rooker are all big guys who can hit it a country mile. Wes and Cole just couldn't hit anything else for the most part.

smootness
05-02-2017, 09:17 AM
There are more hall of fame hitters under 6'0" than above.

Wut

Also, the short arms business sounds like something you just completely made up.

Benintendi has a higher ceiling because he is a better athlete and has more pop. That about sums it up.

BoomBoom
05-02-2017, 05:38 PM
Of course they do, but guys become a ML hitter because they abliderate minor league pitching.

Do you think Justin Verlander cares if the guy could hit a AAA fastball?

that sounds like Art Howe right out of Moneyball.

if, in AAA, the guy obliterated 70 grade fastballs that were located, Verlander sure as hell should care. but we see MLB pitchers not care until they come to accept what the data already showed.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-03-2017, 06:59 AM
Renfroe just went 0-4 last night. Now at .208

shoeless joe
05-03-2017, 07:30 AM
This post is on some RougeDawg level stupid. .

My thoughts exactly

Tbonewannabe
05-03-2017, 09:00 AM
His defense, power and arm are going to give him the opportunity to adjust. Hopefully he makes adjustments before they just send him back down. Hitting around .230-.250 is probably enough to give him a long career with his other tools.

smootness
05-03-2017, 09:10 AM
His defense, power and arm are going to give him the opportunity to adjust. Hopefully he makes adjustments before they just send him back down. Hitting around .230-.250 is probably enough to give him a long career with his other tools.

His defense isn't that good. He does have a cannon, but he's going to have to hit.

Tbonewannabe
05-03-2017, 09:17 AM
His defense isn't that good. He does have a cannon, but he's going to have to hit.

Yes, I am just saying that he will have a little more leash because of his other abilities. Somebody not hitting the roof on outfield structures without that cannon of an arm would already be back in AAA.

smootness
05-03-2017, 10:54 AM
Yes, I am just saying that he will have a little more leash because of his other abilities. Somebody not hitting the roof on outfield structures without that cannon of an arm would already be back in AAA.

I got you. Was just saying that his overall defense is actually not a positive, or at least hasn't been thus far in the majors. He is someone that is probably going to end up in LF and will have to really hit to stay useful.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-03-2017, 09:56 PM
Renfroe starts the night off with a single. Raises his average to .215 after first at bat.

Graveman has a rough night. Gives up 6 ER in 3.1 innings. ERA up to 3.95. But it's his only bad start of the year. He has been really good.

Moreland is batting .276. He's been a good addition for the sox.

MzTerry
05-03-2017, 11:35 PM
If you have short arms then you better generate a lot of bat speed. It is why they say "he got his arms extended and blasted it". Hunter, Wes Rea, Cole Gordon, and Rooker are all big guys who can hit it a country mile. Wes and Cole just couldn't hit anything else for the most part.

Whaaaaat? How was no one called this post out yet? Wes Rea hit more singles than Michael Jackson had #1 hits.

The Federalist Engineer
05-04-2017, 12:58 AM
Whaaaaat? How was no one called this post out yet? Wes Rea hit more singles than Michael Jackson had #1 hits.

Wes was also very selective at the plate and walked a lot. He was also extremely hot at the end of 2013 in some very clutch moments. Wes and Cole cannot be compared as hitters. With the glove, Wes was great for us too, his fielding % was not great but he made a lot of plays and saved many bad throws

MzTerry
05-04-2017, 01:12 AM
Wes was also very selective at the plate and walked a lot. He was also extremely hot at the end of 2013 in some very clutch moments. Wes and Cole cannot be compared as hitters. With the glove, Wes was great for us too, his fielding % was not great but he made a lot of plays and saved many bad throws

How in the world does anything I said have anything to do with that? I replied to whoever said Wes Rea didn't do much but hit home runs. He did anything but hit home runs. He was a fantastic college baseball player for us, esp towards the end, but he was a 2 hole hitter trapped in the ultimate 4 hole hitter's body.

lamont
05-04-2017, 06:21 AM
Renfroe starts the night off with a single. Raises his average to .215 after first at bat.

Graveman has a rough night. Gives up 6 ER in 3.1 innings. ERA up to 3.95. But it's his only bad start of the year. He has been really good.

Moreland is batting .276. He's been a good addition for the sox.

1-2 and got pulled on a double switch. .213

Tbonewannabe
05-04-2017, 06:40 AM
How in the world does anything I said have anything to do with that? I replied to whoever said Wes Rea didn't do much but hit home runs. He did anything but hit home runs. He was a fantastic college baseball player for us, esp towards the end, but he was a 2 hole hitter trapped in the ultimate 4 hole hitter's body.

I was referring to the fact that Wes could absolutely murder the baseball but for the most part he couldn't hit enough consistently or he would have been drafted high. He played great defense and had a ton of power.

smootness
05-04-2017, 09:12 AM
I was referring to the fact that Wes could absolutely murder the baseball but for the most part he couldn't hit enough consistently or he would have been drafted high. He played great defense and had a ton of power.

If there's a reason Rea didn't get drafted higher, it's because he didn't have enough power.

Tbonewannabe
05-04-2017, 12:24 PM
If there's a reason Rea didn't get drafted higher, it's because he didn't have enough power.

He changed his swing to make more contact and became a 260 lb slap hitter. Guys with no power don't put balls over all the rigs in left field. Wes absolutely crushed the ball multiple times in 2013. Same with Cole, I am sure he could change his swing to make more contact but dinking singles opposite field shouldn't be a big guy's strong suit. It works for Mangum but not so much for big guys.

smootness
05-04-2017, 01:03 PM
He changed his swing to make more contact and became a 260 lb slap hitter. Guys with no power don't put balls over all the rigs in left field. Wes absolutely crushed the ball multiple times in 2013. Same with Cole, I am sure he could change his swing to make more contact but dinking singles opposite field shouldn't be a big guy's strong suit. It works for Mangum but not so much for big guys.

He was a big dude, so if he caught it on the barrel, it would go a ways. But power was not his game. If he changed his swing to become more of a contact hitter on purpose, then he ruined any potential career he had by doing it.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-04-2017, 09:29 PM
Renfroe 1-5 today with an RBI. Now .212

Dawg61
05-04-2017, 10:13 PM
Renfroe 1-5 today with an RBI. Now .212

time to go Rambofroe

http://www.gifimagesdownload.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/cool-rambo-gif-512.gif

Dawg61
05-09-2017, 08:26 PM
Alright who the **** drank Jobu's rum?! Renfroe last 15 games 6-46 .130 AVG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWdfDsLvm9I

BoomBoom
05-09-2017, 08:57 PM
Alright who the **** drank Jobu's rum?! Renfroe last 15 games 6-46 .130 AVG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWdfDsLvm9I

Book is out. No need to throw him a strike, he has no plate discipline.

lamont
05-09-2017, 10:04 PM
I hate being right so much.

Maybe he will adjust and recover before long so he doesnt get sent down

smootness
05-10-2017, 08:21 AM

I said 4 years ago when you began this crusade against Renfroe that you would absolutely rather come back and say, 'I was right, Renfroe isn't good,' than have to say, 'I was wrong, Renfroe is awesome.'

Tbonewannabe
05-10-2017, 08:26 AM
I said 4 years ago when you began this crusade against Renfroe that you would absolutely rather come back and say, 'I was right, Renfroe isn't good,' than have to say, 'I was wrong, Renfroe is awesome.'

I thought the opinion was that Renfroe would never even make it to the majors. He might not hit .250 for an entire season from opening day but technically he hit above it for the season last year at every level of pro ball. He might have only been in San Diego for a month but it was a great month.

smootness
05-10-2017, 08:34 AM
I thought the opinion was that Renfroe would never even make it to the majors. He might not hit .250 for an entire season from opening day but technically he hit above it for the season last year at every level of pro ball. He might have only been in San Diego for a month but it was a great month.

Oh, I'm not saying he actually is right, was just saying that I definitely am on this.

34 has moved the goalposts so many times on Renfroe that it's pointless to try to nail down what he has said. But the last time he set a post, it was that Renfroe would not last a full season in the majors...which is why he's so hung up on him potentially being sent down.

But the Padres are never going to send him down this year. So he's definitely going to end up being wrong, even after shifting the argument several times.

Anyone this obsessed with a State alum failing should be ridiculed by all and ignored forever.

Dawg61
05-10-2017, 08:37 AM

You woulda been right if his struggles had happened in AA and he never made it to the show. Him struggling now after spending parts of two seasons in MLB does not make you right. It'd be like Georgia winning only 6 games this year but next year they win 10 games and you claiming that you are right about Georgia all along.

Coldsleeve Jr.
05-10-2017, 08:46 AM

No no, you said he wouldn't hit above .275 in sec his last year

lamont
05-10-2017, 11:09 AM
No- the statement on Renfroe has always been his bat won't keep him in MLB a full season. I've always acknowledged his good D and HOF level arm.

smootness
05-10-2017, 11:11 AM
No- the statement on Renfroe has always been his bat won't keep him in MLB a full season. I've always acknowledged his good D and HOF level arm.

I'm pretty confident there was one involving .250, and I'm pretty sure it was the AA level.

But you're actually wrong on his D, it's not that good.

lamont
05-10-2017, 11:14 AM
No no, you said he wouldn't hit above .275 in sec his last year

That was Humphries. He hit as expected vs RHP's- about .220 in SEC play. He was so bad at the end Cohen benched him in the biggest game of our season. He also nearly doubled everyone on the team in K's at the plate except Rooker.

You have to give him credit though last year for the way he abused LHP's. He had to hit them at a .450 clip. Fun to watch them unable to get him out

lamont
05-10-2017, 11:19 AM
You woulda been right if his struggles had happened in AA and he never made it to the show. Him struggling now after spending parts of two seasons in MLB does not make you right. It'd be like Georgia winning only 6 games this year but next year they win 10 games and you claiming that you are right about Georgia all along.

Never said he wouldn't make MLB

smootness
05-10-2017, 11:24 AM
That was Humphries. He hit as expected vs RHP's- about .220 in SEC play. He was so bad at the end Cohen benched him in the biggest game of our season. He also nearly doubled everyone on the team in K's at the plate except Rooker.

You have to give him credit though last year for the way he abused LHP's. He had to hit them at a .450 clip. Fun to watch them unable to get him out

So you were wrong on Humphreys. Got it.

msstate7
05-10-2017, 11:27 AM

Where do you get college splits? Just curious bc I've wanted to see Jake mangum's for a while now

lamont
05-10-2017, 08:27 PM
Oh, I'm not saying he actually is right, was just saying that I definitely am on this.

34 has moved the goalposts so many times on Renfroe that it's pointless to try to nail down what he has said. But the last time he set a post, it was that Renfroe would not last a full season in the majors...which is why he's so hung up on him potentially being sent down.

But the Padres are never going to send him down this year. So he's definitely going to end up being wrong, even after shifting the argument several times.

Anyone this obsessed with a State alum failing should be ridiculed by all and ignored forever.

1. I also expect the Padres to keep him up- but ya never know
2. I've never moved the goalposts on Renfroe. From the beginning, I've always said I didnt think his bat could keep him in MLB. So far- he is struggling as I thought he would.
3. Nobody is "obsessed" with him failing. People enjoy watching to see how predictions fare over time. This is just another of many. Kind of like your's on Belmont being our SS this year

lamont
05-10-2017, 08:28 PM
So you were wrong on Humphreys. Got it.

I was wrong on what his final average would be. I was dead on accurate about his struggle vs RHP's and him leading the team in K's

somebodyshotmypaw
05-10-2017, 08:29 PM
The thing about Renfroe is that there never was a question. It was always 100% obvious that he has the defense and arm. It was always 100% obvious that he has the power. It was also 100% obvious that his success, or lack thereof, would depend on his batting average and walks/strikeouts because of his plate discipline. The only question is could he solve that problem to a satisfactory level. If he does, he will be a 12-15 year player. If he can't, he won't survive long term.

msstate7
05-10-2017, 08:37 PM
Why does everyone say hunter is a great defender? Fangraphs and BR both have hunter with negative defensive value. Hunter is gonna have to hit to stay up and I think he will

lamont
05-10-2017, 08:41 PM
Why does everyone say hunter is a great defender? Fangraphs and BR both have hunter with negative defensive value. Hunter is gonna have to hit to stay up and I think he will

Because he was in college. It's kinda surprising he is struggling there- because that was a true strength. Hopefully its just a temp adjustment- because if he continues to struggle on D as he does the plate- they will send his ass down.

I'm like Paw- it was always going to be could he adjust at the plate to stay in MLB? The rest of his game is MLB-worthy.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-10-2017, 08:52 PM
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/sd-sp-padnotes-20170507-story.html

A recent article about Renfroe

msstate7
05-22-2017, 06:47 AM
Since this thread...
Swanson = .291/.414/.455
Bregman = .258/.313/.452
Renfroe = .206/.316/.412
Benintendi = .227/.318/.360

Updated WAR for season:
Swanson = 0.3 was -0.7
Bregman = 0.1 was -1.0
Renfroe = -0.1 was -0.2