PDA

View Full Version : Yeah or Nay. Undrained Underclassmen Should Be Able to go Back to College

Indndawg
04-30-2017, 12:07 PM
yes

ShotgunDawg
04-30-2017, 12:11 PM
yes

Sounds good on paper but creates a real scholarship problem with national signing day in Feb and the draft in April.

Schools have already signed players in Feb that took the scholarship of the undrafted player.

Best case scenario is the draft is either moved up in the year, signing day moved back, or players get better more honest information about where they will go in the draft.

msstate7
04-30-2017, 12:22 PM
yes

I don't know. I do wish draft rules were the same across all sports. Seems dumb that a freshman basketball player can go pro, but not football or baseball.

TUSK
04-30-2017, 12:24 PM
I wish they'd make em all play 4, instead of 3.... *

Irondawg
04-30-2017, 12:46 PM
I think the simplest thing is that you have to be 21 years old by August 1 or something. That or allow them back but the school can determine if you are on scholarship or not. But you can't transfer and be on scholarship.

But you also have to limit the amount of times someone can apply for the draft otherwise the big dogs would just use it to pad their roster numbers and have boosters pay for all the walk ons

HSVDawg
04-30-2017, 12:50 PM
Sounds good on paper but creates a real scholarship problem with national signing day in Feb and the draft in April.

Schools have already signed players in Feb that took the scholarship of the undrafted player.

Best case scenario is the draft is either moved up in the year, signing day moved back, or players get better more honest information about where they will go in the draft.

Scholarship problem? What scholarship problem? Are you sitting here telling me that some coaches actually try to open fall camp with 85 scholarship players? How does this work?

Political Hack
04-30-2017, 12:50 PM
No, not to play at least. Of course they can go back and finish their degrees tho.

Quaoarsking
04-30-2017, 12:59 PM
There should be no such thing as "declaring" for the draft. Make it like baseball where the teams can theoretically draft any junior they want, and then it's up to the player to decide whether to sign or stay in school.

3rdGen
04-30-2017, 01:17 PM
I like that as well.

BayouDawg
04-30-2017, 01:52 PM
Scholarship problem? What scholarship problem? Are you sitting here telling me that some coaches actually try to open fall camp with 85 scholarship players? How does this work?

lol that was funny

BigEasyDawg
04-30-2017, 03:10 PM
I just don't understand why you would declare as a Junior if you did not think you would go in the first round or maybe the second. I get it that many of these kids come from low income houses and see the dollar signs, but if you are going to be a 4-7 round pick, why not get your degree and also have a year to get bigger, faster, stronger, and improve your draft stock.

And yes there is always the reasoning that you could get hurt, but I believe the reward outweighs the risk of coming back for another season.

AusTexDawg
05-01-2017, 09:41 AM
yes, but there would need to be some changes along the lines of some of the suggestions in the earlier posts.

Dawg61
05-01-2017, 10:23 AM
No I don't think they should be allowed back because then you'd have every junior in America declaring for the draft and when they don't like the result they all just comeback their senior year. Don't go pro early if there's a chance you go undrafted or you are about to run a 5 flat 40 yard dash as a WR.

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-01-2017, 11:31 AM
No I don't think they should be allowed back because then you'd have every junior in America declaring for the draft and when they don't like the result they all just comeback their senior year. Don't go pro early if there's a chance you go undrafted or you are about to run a 5 flat 40 yard dash as a WR.

This. Every jr. would have nothing to lose if it were simply open like this. I don't have a solution, so I hate giving my opinion. But you would have to come up with more than just letting them go back to school if they don't get drafted. I do agree that it's bad for the athlete like Bear that could have had another possible valuable year to correct any negatives that would have kept him out, but I'm not sure how to correct it.

Quaoarsking
05-01-2017, 12:08 PM

Why is that a problem?

It's not a problem in baseball that all the good juniors are drafted and choose whether or not to sign or return to school, and it wouldn't be a problem in football either

Reason2succeed
05-01-2017, 12:35 PM
There should be no such thing as "declaring" for the draft. Make it like baseball where the teams can theoretically draft any junior they want, and then it's up to the player to decide whether to sign or stay in school.

Let's face it though they won't do this because they really don't care about players or their future careers. It would inconvenience the NCAA too much to actually admit that CFB is the farm system for the NFL.

Martianlander
05-01-2017, 12:47 PM
Side note-Is anyone else having trouble clicking on ads? The board is fine but I haven't been able to click ads for a couple of days now.

Dawg61
05-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Why is that a problem?

It's not a problem in baseball that all the good juniors are drafted and choose whether or not to sign or return to school, and it wouldn't be a problem in football either

It's not a problem in baseball because there's 40 rounds and the players don't declare for the draft they just get drafted and then decide if they wanna go pro. If football wants to grant "do overs" they should do it like basketball does and the players have a set date to pull their name outta the draft if they are worried they won't get drafted.