PDA

View Full Version : This Week in GA QB Commits

BrunswickDawg
09-13-2013, 03:14 PM
Nick Fitzgerald and Richmond Hill host the Savannah High Blue Jackets tonight. Savannah is a Class AAA team - two classes lower than Richmond Hill. This ends the Wildcat's non-region schedule.

Savannah comes into the game 0-2, with a blow out loss to Greater Atlanta Christian and close loss to Bradwell Institute 28-34 last week. Savannah is a perennial cellar dweller, was 4-6 last season and is now 8-34 over he past 4+ seasons. This should be another easy tune-up for a little tougher competition when region play begins. Good overview of Richmond Hill's season so far is here : http://savannahnow.com/bryan-county-now/2013-09-12/richmond-hill-football-tries-correct-problem-areas-against-savannah-high#.UjNXLdKkobg . One thing to note - the mystery of what offense they run is solved, the article calls it a "triple option attack" FWIW.

Elijah Staley and Wheeler host the Hughes Panthers.
Hughes is 1-1 after a close 14-16 loss to Creekside and a 35-0 blowout of Luella. Hughes is a relatively new school in Fairburn in south Fulton County, and is entering their 5th season. After 3 dismal seasons, they burst on the scene last year going 9-1 and winning Region 3-AAAAAA. Their only loss was to North Cobb in the 2nd round of the state playoffs. Their Head Coach Willie Cannon played DB at Kentucky under Curry.

Their kid to watch is SR RB Keion Davis, who is listed as 6-1, 205. He is 3-Star on Scout and committed to Marshall. He racked up 233 yards on 18 carries and 2 TD's and 307 total yards against Creekside in the opener. Against Luella, he returned the opening kick 95 yards for a TD, ran for 3 TD's, and caught a 25 yard TD for a 5 TD night.

This will be the first big test of Staley and the Wheeler team. A win will set the tone for the region schedule and show they can compete for the 5-AAAAAA region title.

I'll post any scores or stats as I can gather them, but I'll be in the stands watching the Glynn Academy Red Terrors.

trob115
09-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the update Brunswick.

BrunswickDawg
09-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Elijah and Wheeler tied 7-7, end 1st

BrunswickDawg
09-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Things not looking good for Wheeler - down 27-7 near the half

msstate7
09-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Things not looking good for Wheeler - down 27-7 near the half

Looks like our future qb will be passing 2nd half

breazy
09-13-2013, 07:54 PM
fitzgerald and Richmond Hill are up 41-0 in 2nd quarter.....game can be seen here http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/68152

I've been unable to find a stream of Wheeler/Elijah

BrunswickDawg
09-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Not looking good for Elijah - down 28-13 in 3rd. Apparently turnovers in first half were a problem.

BrunswickDawg
09-13-2013, 08:54 PM
Wheels has stormed back, down 34-28 in the 4th

msstate7
09-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Wheels has stormed back, down 34-28 in the 4th

Nice. Any ES stats?

BrunswickDawg
09-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Finals - Elijah and Wheeler lose 37-28, Nick and Richmond Hill win 51-14. Looking for stats.

smootness
09-13-2013, 09:58 PM
Nice. Any ES stats?

I went to the game; left with about 5 minutes left with Wheeler down 9 with the ball, and it sounded like there was an INT as I was walking out.

Rough stats per my count for Staley: something like 18-27 for 220-230ish; 2 TDs, 3 INTs (assuming what I heard was a Staley pick). He didn't run much, a few scrambles here and there for 5 or so.

I thought he looked better than the numbers indicate overall; there were the INTs, but he really throws a nice ball. His WRs didn't help him out any, there were several easy passes dropped, one was a beautiful throw over the middle that may have gone for 6.

He made a couple of really nice throws, one along the sideline for about 25 on 4th down, and one fade into the endzone for a TD that was as perfectly thrown as you can manage.

Wheeler's OL looked really undersized compared to Langston Hughes' DL, and Hughes looked bigger as a team overall; they got a good bit of pressure, especially in the second half. There's no doubt that Wheeler has a solid team but that they rely on Staley in order to have a chance against good teams like that.

Overall, I liked what I saw. I loved the way he regrouped at halftime after being obviously upset with himself at the end of the 1st half and came out with his head up ready to go in the 2nd (and played really well - my 2nd half #s for him before the last drive as I walked out: 10-11, 125ish, 2 TDs). Hopefully coachcamp can give some insight; why don't the coaches let him air it out more? He has a cannon, and that is a serious weapon in HS football. Is it due to a lack of competent blocking and a lack of WRs who can go up and get it?

Hotdawg66
09-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Fitzgerald played a little into the 2nd quarter and was done for the night. Was 3 of 6 passing for 105 yds and 2 TDs. Had a TD dropped in the endzone. Ran for a pedestrian 38 yds on 4 carries and 2 TDs.

BrunswickDawg
09-14-2013, 07:11 AM
Not too far off smootness

Staley was 20-36 for 307, 2 TD and 3 Int. Must not have much rushing b/c it wasn't even mentioned in the article in Marietta paper.

elitedawgs
09-14-2013, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the updates BrunswickDawg!

coachcamp
09-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Goodmorning...@smootness.. what a game last night! I was very proud of the guys for showing a lot of heart. Hughes is always a tough team. We missed cued on quite a few plays and that fumble on the kick off really killed us. Elijah hates throwing INT's.. he only threw 4 in total last year but the drop passes killed his stats. I must say that we have gotten extremely better in that area. Coach is still trying to figure out how to use Elijah. smh.. the biggest problem to me is that he doesnt let him audible at the line or even call any plays based on what he see's. Our line is extremely small but i think they did a pretty good job for all !0 graders.. lol We should be fine, we wont face another team that fast til State.. he finished with 3 tds and 307. the paper is wrong as usual.. thanks for coming..

BrunswickDawg
09-14-2013, 08:12 AM
[QUOTE = the paper is wrong as usual.. .[/QUOTE]

The MDJ wrong? I am SHOCKED. Big props to Elijah for the way he talked about the game last night on twitter. It was nice to see a kid say a loss was on him as leader of the team (even though it wasn't), and also seeing a teammate so no, it's on us. You don't see that type of responsibility everyday.

coachcamp
09-14-2013, 08:55 AM
[QUOTE = the paper is wrong as usual.. .

The MDJ wrong? I am SHOCKED. Big props to Elijah for the way he talked about the game last night on twitter. It was nice to see a kid say a loss was on him as leader of the team (even though it wasn't), and also seeing a teammate so no, it's on us. You don't see that type of responsibility everyday.[/QUOTE]

If you seen the article. It names the 3 TD passes. 2 of them to jackson and 1 to Padgett. the 1 to Padgett was actually thrown to Howell. It was the fade route. but directly after they in detail, named the 3 TD passes. They go right back and say he was 20 for 36 with 307 yards & 2 TD passes.. lol.. They were wrong again..as Usual.. lmao.. been dealing with the MDJ since 2002. I guess they dont Proof read before they print.

coachcamp
09-14-2013, 08:58 AM
the yds are probably wrong too.. lol ill get the official from Coach. it will probably be off by about 10 or 15 yds

smootness
09-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Glad to be there, coach...it was indeed a heck of a game. I had a feeling you guys were gonna come out firing in the 2nd, and you did. Again, I loved the way Elijah, and the whole team, came out with their heads high in the 2nd half.

I didn't realize the OL was so young; they really do play better than you would expect given their size and inexperience. INTs happen, but he responded really well.

I also saw Rick Ray in the house...feel free not to answer if you don't feel comfortable, but was just wondering if you could give some thoughts on what you think of him. He's still new to us, and we still don't really know what kind of recruiter he's going to be.

Thanks!

coachcamp
09-14-2013, 12:48 PM
@smootness Rick s a great up and coming young Coach. He is very honest and up front. Becoming a great recruiter takes time. He will become a great one because of his .honesty