PDA

View Full Version : When (If) Ole Miss is kicked out of the SEC for cheating like no one else has before;

EngDawg
04-27-2017, 06:03 PM
Should we still play them? We don't play USM so why should we play UM when they're in the Sunbelt?

TUSK
04-27-2017, 06:13 PM
No.

Pollodawg
04-27-2017, 06:22 PM
Guaranteed wins. It'll probably be that anyway for the next five or six seasons, though.

msbulldog
04-27-2017, 06:34 PM
No.

You don't have a vote!

WSOPdawg
04-27-2017, 06:48 PM
Should we still play them? We don't play USM so why should we play UM when they're in the Sunbelt?

If they get kicked out of the SEC, it'll be because they got the DP which means they could no longer contribute to the SEC financially as football generates probably 90% of revenues. The SEC won't want a cheating institution mooching off the remaining members that can generate revenue.

I anxiously await for the headline on your Dallas Morning News pic to say "Ole Miss football canceled for 2018".

basedog
04-27-2017, 06:54 PM
Ain't gonna happen.

Liverpooldawg
04-27-2017, 07:07 PM
It won't happen but if they did by all means play them. I'd really enjoy beating them 80%+ in most sports.

Reason2succeed
04-27-2017, 07:09 PM
Ain't gonna happen.

That wasn't the question. The man said IF!!!

I say no. Why give them an opportunity to one up us? They will have nothing if kicked out of the SEC. The Egg Bowl would be even more important to them. We might actually become their real rival.***

Even if they got an invite to the Big 12 they would have lost so much being kicked out of the SEC that I wouldn't want to give them any opportunity to regain their swag.

Liverpooldawg
04-27-2017, 07:22 PM
That wasn't the question. The man said IF!!!

I say no. Why give them an opportunity to one up us? They will have nothing if kicked out of the SEC. The Egg Bowl would be even more important to them. We might actually become their real rival.***

Even if they got an invite to the Big 12 they would have lost so much being kicked out of the SEC that I wouldn't want to give them any opportunity to regain their swag.

If they get kincked out of the SEC, the Big 12 won't take them. Too many SWC memories there for that. I'm thinking Sun Belt, at best.

hairymandog
04-27-2017, 07:53 PM
Schedule them for homecoming so we can beat their brains in every year. I want them to suffer, and nothing pains them more than us being better than them.

TUSK
04-27-2017, 08:30 PM
You don't have a vote!

Dang. I thought since The REC gottem probated, we'd get a vote.

My bad.

Regardless, playin em is "all & all", a poor decision.

WSOPdawg
04-27-2017, 08:57 PM
I'd play them but it would have to be 4 home games in exchange for 1 away game because face it, they are no more relevant than a SWAC team and maybe not as relevant than USM.

WSOPdawg
04-27-2017, 08:59 PM
Ain't gonna happen.

Oh ye of little faith, naive non-believers. Just because it's never happened before in the modern age DOESN'T mean it can't happen with this group who refuses to play by the rules. SMU will soon get to breathe a collective sigh of relief as they will no longer be the poster child for NCAA criminality and punishment.

Homedawg
04-27-2017, 09:39 PM
If I win the lottery I will....about the same. There are just way more threads about this. Total waste of time but I guess it's fun to dream.

basedog
04-27-2017, 10:33 PM
Oh ye of little faith, naive non-believers. Just because it's never happened before in the modern age DOESN'T mean it can't happen with this group who refuses to play by the rules. SMU will soon get to breathe a collective sigh of relief as they will no longer be the poster child for NCAA criminality and punishment.

I see you have only 10 vCash. I bet you that amount. Book it Danno! You in?

Fred Garvin
04-27-2017, 10:39 PM
How can you be sure they'll stay in Division I? ****

WSOPdawg
04-27-2017, 10:55 PM
I see you have only 10 vCash. I bet you that amount. Book it Danno! You in?

Nah man, I only got 10 vCash because I hedged my bet on whether or not Freeze will be coach to start the year and split my action both ways :)

But in all seriousness, I would normally agree with you in that there's no way they get removed, but we are so far out of the norm with TCUN and this case, and I truly think the NCAA has to hammer them as specified by their new penalty matrix or they become irrelevant and a laughing farce to their constituents.

Dawg61
04-28-2017, 02:09 AM
**** no we don't play Old Misses if they get kicked out. Let em rot!

Mobile Bay
04-28-2017, 06:53 AM
How can you be sure they'll stay in Division I? ****

I agree, if they get booted from the SEC then I hope they end up in the Gulf South conference or somesuch.

HSVDawg
04-28-2017, 09:44 AM
If they get kicked out of the SEC, it'll be because they got the DP which means they could no longer contribute to the SEC financially as football generates probably 90% of revenues. The SEC won't want a cheating institution mooching off the remaining members that can generate revenue.

I anxiously await for the headline on your Dallas Morning News pic to say "Ole Miss football canceled for 2018".

The only way they can get kicked out (as a charter member) would be a unanimous vote of the other 13 member institutions. It will never happen. And oddly enough, the reason it will never happen is the school that would absolutely benefit the most from them leaving (MSU) would never vote for it to happen because the IHL and maybe even state legislature would intervene and put an insurmountable amount of political pressure to make sure MSU's vote goes the way they want it. And if its Keenum's political pandering ass that gets to issue our vote, he won't need any extra incentive. He'll vote for them to stay and start counting those OM fan votes he picked up when he runs for Senate / governor / etc.

WSOPdawg
04-28-2017, 10:04 AM
The only way they can get kicked out (as a charter member) would be a unanimous vote of the other 13 member institutions. It will never happen. And oddly enough, the reason it will never happen is the school that would absolutely benefit the most from them leaving (MSU) would never vote for it to happen because the IHL and maybe even state legislature would intervene and put an insurmountable amount of political pressure to make sure MSU's vote goes the way they want it. And if its Keenum's political pandering ass that gets to issue our vote, he won't need any extra incentive. He'll vote for them to stay and start counting those OM fan votes he picked up when he runs for Senate / governor / etc.

So we can put HSVDawg and basedog in the "Oh ye of little faith, naive non-believer" category.

HSVDawg, I thought someone posted a short while ago that only 60% of current members is now needed to remove teams from the conference. But again, it gets back to if TCUN can't compete by putting a team on the field, the SEC has to replace them on the schedule with somebody and why let another institution "mooch" off the revenues if they can't positively contribute to the revenues. Don't say "it will never happen" just because it hasn't happened to-date in the modern age of the SEC.

confucius say
04-28-2017, 10:12 AM
So we can put HSVDawg and basedog in the "Oh ye of little faith, naive non-believer" category.

HSVDawg, I thought someone posted a short while ago that only 60% of current members is now needed to remove teams from the conference. But again, it gets back to if TCUN can't compete by putting a team on the field, the SEC has to replace them on the schedule with somebody and why let another institution "mooch" off the revenues if they can't positively contribute to the revenues. Don't say "it will never happen" just because it hasn't happened to-date in the modern age of the SEC.

You can put me in that category too. Bears aren't getting kicked out of the conference and, when they get hammered, it's these threads they will point to and say "see, so what if we got hammered, you were wrong and we are still in sec."

basedog
04-28-2017, 10:38 AM

It's not just football that would be a nightmare for other SEC schools to rework their schedules, but ALL sports.

Hey, anything can happen but eliminating them from the SEC is a big IF.

Better chance for death penalty > than kicking them out. Death penalty is another IF, hey I would love to see the worse happen to them so don't get me wrong, like you said WSOPdawg, I don't believe it will happen.

WSOPdawg
04-28-2017, 10:53 AM
It's not just football that would be a nightmare for other SEC schools to rework their schedules, but ALL sports.

Hey, anything can happen but eliminating them from the SEC is a big IF.

Better chance for death penalty > than kicking them out. Death penalty is another IF, hey I would love to see the worse happen to them so don't get me wrong, like you said WSOPdawg, I don't believe it will happen.

I agree basedog in that it's a BIG if.

In fact, I'd almost like to see them NOT get the DP but get absolutely hammered as the NCAA systematically runs through their new penalty matrix and applies scholarship losses for EACH individual Level I and Level II violation just to see the total add up to 55 or 60 lost scholarships. Then tack on 3-4 years of lost bowl appearances and the Bears are doomed for the next 10-20 years.

They'd almost shut their football program down on their own. Again, it's either gonna be bad (30+ scholarship losses and 2 year bowl penalty) -OR- it's gonna be REALLY BAD (40+ scholarship losses and 3+ year bowl penalty). Just depends on how the NCAA applies it to their new penalty matrix.

Political Hack
04-28-2017, 11:02 AM
I'd say we play them for a few more years just so we can skill drag them into oblivion. After that, make them an afterthought and then rotate them with the rest of the instate whoops... USM, Alcorn, Mississippi, & JSU. Of course, they'd have to come to a starkville, but we could pay them to come. They'll need it after missing out on the SEC and ESPN money.

The Federalist Engineer
04-28-2017, 11:03 AM
Hell No, don't play them. Start a series with Georgia Tech or TCU to get Dallas or Atlanta exposure each year for all sports

QuadrupleOption
04-28-2017, 11:05 AM
I'd say we play them for a few more years just so we can skill drag them into oblivion. After that, make them an afterthought and then rotate them with the rest of the instate whoops... USM, Alcorn, Mississippi, & JSU. Of course, they'd have to come to a starkville, but we could pay them to come. They'll need it after missing out on the SEC and ESPN money.

I say keep playing them every year and treat them from 2020 on like they treated us the in the 50's and 60's. Even up the overall record by pounding them into oblivion every year, then win one more game to give us the series lead.

*Then* drop them.

Political Hack
04-28-2017, 11:09 AM
I say keep playing them every year and treat them from 2020 on like they treated us the in the 50's and 60's. Even up the overall record by pounding them into oblivion every year, then win one more game to give us the series lead.

*Then* drop them.

I thought about that too. Would be nice to just skill drag then for two straight decades. Funny thing is, no matter what they do now, they're in for a long, long decade.

basedog
04-28-2017, 11:13 AM
I just can't comprehend the fact Bucky and Bozo are still employed. You would think higher ups would want to save there University instead of a couple of guys who have done more damage control EVER at Oxford. I also don't understand there so call Chancellor and his view on things, you would think a bunch of lawyers would make better decisions.

I suppose it all goes back to them being in overtime trying to at least tie the game and a wide open run for a Qb to the goal line and he fumbles!

Dak and his 4th quarter comeback.

TrapGame
04-28-2017, 11:14 AM
No, don't play them. Let them have to play Alcorn and Delta State for any kind of state wide recognition.

**** those shit birds!

HSVDawg
04-28-2017, 11:40 AM

This is absolutely incorrect. If it were true, both MSU and OM would have been voted out 20+ years ago so that other schools could get our cut of the pie. The bylaws require a unanimous vote from the other members to kick out a charter member. And you are a crazy person if you think the backwards ass MS political machine (largely controlled by OM) wouldn't go to the ends of the earth to make sure they don't get the boot. That would include the IHL not renewing contracts of Keenum or Cohen if they didn't vote the way they wanted.

Dawgpile
04-28-2017, 12:01 PM
From the SEC bylaws, apparently last updated July, 2014:

*3.1.3 Suspension of Membership. Membership may be suspended at a meeting of the Chief Executive Officers. A
member may be suspended at any time by a vote of at least two-thirds of the members, either indefinitely or for a stated
period, for any conduct deemed to be incompatible with membership. [Clarified/Conformed 6/1/11]
*3.1.4 Termination of Membership. Membership may be terminated voluntarily by the resignation of a member or
involuntarily at a meeting of the Chief Executive Officers. A vote of at least two-thirds of the members is required to
terminate membership. Any motion to terminate membership shall specify the effective date of the proposed termination.
[Clarified/Conformed 6/1/11]

WSOPdawg
04-28-2017, 12:16 PM
This is absolutely incorrect. If it were true, both MSU and OM would have been voted out 20+ years ago so that other schools could get our cut of the pie. The bylaws require a unanimous vote from the other members to kick out a charter member.

And you are a crazy person if you think the backwards ass MS political machine (largely controlled by OM) wouldn't go to the ends of the earth to make sure they don't get the boot. That would include the IHL not renewing contracts of Keenum or Cohen if they didn't vote the way they wanted.

Not only incorrect, but you're WRONG!!! See Dawgpile's response below.

I'm just saying THIS CASE is going to force people everywhere to have to think outside the box because its so unique and so extensive and precedent-setting.

From the SEC bylaws, apparently last updated July, 2014:

*3.1.3 Suspension of Membership. Membership may be suspended at a meeting of the Chief Executive Officers. A
member may be suspended at any time by a vote of at least two-thirds of the members, either indefinitely or for a stated
period, for any conduct deemed to be incompatible with membership. [Clarified/Conformed 6/1/11]
*3.1.4 Termination of Membership. Membership may be terminated voluntarily by the resignation of a member or
involuntarily at a meeting of the Chief Executive Officers. A vote of at least two-thirds of the members is required to
terminate membership. Any motion to terminate membership shall specify the effective date of the proposed termination.
[Clarified/Conformed 6/1/11]

So again, let's say TCUN gets hammered into oblivion. Do they field a team that couldn't even beat Delta State or Alcorn, or do they fold up shop for a couple of seasons? If they do this, rest assured the SEC will look at the option of removing them from the conference because (1) why share revenue with a cheat who can no longer contribute financially(?) and (2) for scheduling logistics, especially if a suitable replacement can be found.

To say there is 100% chance SEC removal will not happen is being naive. Think outside the box and look at it from a business perspective.

The Federalist Engineer
04-28-2017, 12:21 PM
This is absolutely incorrect. If it were true, both MSU and OM would have been voted out 20+ years ago so that other schools could get our cut of the pie. The bylaws require a unanimous vote from the other members to kick out a charter member. And you are a crazy person if you think the backwards ass MS political machine (largely controlled by OM) wouldn't go to the ends of the earth to make sure they don't get the boot. That would include the IHL not renewing contracts of Keenum or Cohen if they didn't vote the way they wanted.

The strategy is that Keenum and Cohen don't say a damned thing before the vote, then last minute recuse themselves from the vote. If fired, they get a baller settlement and give MSU the greatest-gift to future prosperity.

HSVDawg
04-28-2017, 12:40 PM
Not only incorrect, but you're WRONG!!! See Dawgpile's response below.

I'm just saying THIS CASE is going to force people everywhere to have to think outside the box because its so unique and so extensive and precedent-setting.

So again, let's say TCUN gets hammered into oblivion. Do they field a team that couldn't even beat Delta State or Alcorn, or do they fold up shop for a couple of seasons? If they do this, rest assured the SEC will look at the option of removing them from the conference because (1) why share revenue with a cheat who can no longer contribute financially(?) and (2) for scheduling logistics, especially if a suitable replacement can be found.

To say there is 100% chance SEC removal will not happen is being naive. Think outside the box and look at it from a business perspective.

I may stand corrected then, but I'm not sure this is all encompassing. My recollection from when this came up a few years ago during all the conference realignment discussion is that there is a different process (requiring a more unanimous vote) for charter members. Basically, the process above would apply to the South Carolina's / Arkansas's / Missouri's. If in fact it only requires 8 schools to vote out anyone, then both State and OM are treading on very delicate footing and, honestly, should be voted out if the other schools want to do what is in their best interest (especially in today's world where the TV revenue dictates everything). But I don't think its quite that easy (fortunately for us).

Anyway, regardless of how many votes it takes, I have no doubt that political pressure will come into play very prominently for our vote if it ever actually came to that. That's all I'm saying.

I also don't know why you're telling me I need to "think outside the box" and "not be naive". Nobody on this board has one damn bit of control on whether OM gets the death penalty or gets kicked out of the league. Obviously I'd love for both of those things to happen but I'm not getting my hopes up.

TUSK
04-28-2017, 12:49 PM
You can put me in that category too. Bears aren't getting kicked out of the conference and, when they get hammered, it's these threads they will point to and say "see, so what if we got hammered, you were wrong and we are still in sec."

Ditto.... I'm not sure even 1/3 of the SEC Schools would vote out UM, much less the 2/3 (or greater) required....

MadDawg
04-28-2017, 12:54 PM

Uh, ok. But isn't that like saying.. "Ha ha ha ha!! You said I'd get life in prison and I only got 40 years! Jokes on you!!"

Sure thing there, bucko. Enjoy your stay.

Fred Garvin
04-28-2017, 01:04 PM
Ditto.... I'm not sure even 1/3 of the SEC Schools would vote out UM, much less the 2/3 (or greater) required....

I tend to agree, but how much of a hit to its brand would the SEC be willing endure with this TSUN worst-case scenario.

WSOPdawg
04-28-2017, 01:10 PM
I may stand corrected then, but I'm not sure this is all encompassing. My recollection from when this came up a few years ago during all the conference realignment discussion is that there is a different process (requiring a more unanimous vote) for charter members. Basically, the process above would apply to the South Carolina's / Arkansas's / Missouri's. If in fact it only requires 8 schools to vote out anyone, then both State and OM are treading on very delicate footing and, honestly, should be voted out if the other schools want to do what is in their best interest (especially in today's world where the TV revenue dictates everything). But I don't think its quite that easy (fortunately for us).

Anyway, regardless of how many votes it takes, I have no doubt that political pressure will come into play very prominently for our vote if it ever actually came to that. That's all I'm saying.

I also don't know why you're telling me I need to "think outside the box" and "not be naive". Nobody on this board has one damn bit of control on whether OM gets the death penalty or gets kicked out of the league. Obviously I'd love for both of those things to happen but I'm not getting my hopes up.

HSV, two things - first, I agree its a dangerous precedent to set once (or if) somebody gets removed from the conference, especially for any non-big boy school (like MSU), but again, it's more about bringing value, acting honorably and building strong relationships (a TCUN on probation is very different from a dead TCUN that brings very little to the table for an extended period of time).

Secondly, I wasn't necessarily telling you to think outside the box as much as I was saying EVERYBODY needs to think outside the box given all the different tentacles that TCUN's case has and how large it is. I guarantee you the NCAA never thought a monster like this would materialize when they instituted their new penalty matrix in 2013. I'm definitely not singling you out specifically.

Political Hack
04-28-2017, 01:12 PM
If Sankey ever calls for a vote, it's because he has the votes.

The SEC membership will follow birmingham's lead. And if the SEC office says "were not having SMU level cheaters here" the other member institutions would be very hard pressed to disagree. All that said, I can't ever see it coming to that, but they could and would likely be suspended indefinitely if they get the death penalty.

The Federalist Engineer
04-28-2017, 01:51 PM
The way to bring the vote is to have a replacement ready. Just give everyone a piece of paper that says check here for NC State or there for University of Mississippi then everybody does a mass edit of schedules trading NCSU for OM ... OM is a free agent to go wherever

He should just do it NOW to avoid the piling on perception after NCAA penalties...then OM is just toxic waste looking for a dump. "We are a rogue school in a small media market! who wants us"

WSOPdawg
04-28-2017, 03:06 PM
The way to bring the vote is to have a replacement ready. Just give everyone a piece of paper that says check here for NC State or there for University of Mississippi then everybody does a mass edit of schedules trading NCSU for OM ... OM is a free agent to go wherever

He should just do it NOW to avoid the piling on perception after NCAA penalties...then OM is just toxic waste looking for a dump. "We are a rogue school in a small media market! who wants us"

I would definitely see MSU abstaining from the vote given the political situation previously stated by HSVdawg and others if it ever came to a vote.

yjnkdawg
04-28-2017, 10:53 PM
"If" OM got kicked out of the SEC, then why would there be any need to play them. Let them play SWAC or Sunbelt teams. The IF is italized because I don't think that is gonna happen though. Stranger things have happened so you just never know (yjnk)

War Machine Dawg
04-28-2017, 11:42 PM
I just can't comprehend the fact Bucky and Bozo are still employed. You would think higher ups would want to save there University instead of a couple of guys who have done more damage control EVER at Oxford. I also don't understand there so call Chancellor and his view on things, you would think a bunch of lawyers would make better decisions.

I suppose it all goes back to them being in overtime trying to at least tie the game and a wide open run for a Qb to the goal line and he fumbles!

Dak and his 4th quarter comeback.

No, it goes back much further. They became completely unhinged when Mullen whipped that ass 3-0 right out of the gate and rubbed their noses in it. I thought they'd go the JWS route, call in their NCAA Gestapo allies, re-hire the PIs to follow our staff, etc. the way they did in the early 2000s. Instead, they went internal and blatantly tried to have the best team money could buy.

Of course, one could also make an argument this behavior has been ingrained into their institution since the Vaught Era. He and the Bear wiped the South clean of croots back in the day. Fast forward not long after Vaught and you get Dog Brewer. He left them with one of the biggest scandals and harshest penalty sentences since SMU. Tubby & Cut come next and refuse to play the game. They both go after short tenures. Enter O, who started this current run. He hired a relatively unknown coach as his crootin coordinator and eventually named him the OC. That coach went by the name of Hugh Freezus. O taught Freezus all the dirty tricks prior to being fired. Nutt comes on board and is uncomfortable with playing the Northern Mi$$ crootin game. He doesn't last long. Which leads us right to the return of one Hugh Freezus....

UNM has been doing this for literally 4-5 decades. What's simultaneously hilarious and ironic for me is slapping them with LOIC. Their institution is fully in charge. There's no lack of control. Quite the opposite. The only thing out of control is their delusional image of themselves as a rightful national power and the Grooooooove as some Football Mecca.

yjnkdawg
04-29-2017, 12:12 AM
No, it goes back much further. They became completely unhinged when Mullen whipped that ass 3-0 right out of the gate and rubbed their noses in it. I thought they'd go the JWS route, call in their NCAA Gestapo allies, re-hire the PIs to follow our staff, etc. the way they did in the early 2000s. Instead, they went internal and blatantly tried to have the best team money could buy.

Of course, one could also make an argument this behavior has been ingrained into their institution since the Vaught Era. He and the Bear wiped the South clean of croots back in the day. Fast forward not long after Vaught and you get Dog Brewer. He left them with one of the biggest scandals and harshest penalty sentences since SMU. Tubby & Cut come next and refuse to play the game. They both go after short tenures. Enter O, who started this current run. He hired a relatively unknown coach as his crootin coordinator and eventually named him the OC. That coach went by the name of Hugh Freezus. O taught Freezus all the dirty tricks prior to being fired. Nutt comes on board and is uncomfortable with playing the Northern Mi$$ crootin game. He doesn't last long. Which leads us right to the return of one Hugh Freezus....

UNM has been doing this for literally 4-5 decades. What's simultaneously hilarious and ironic for me is slapping them with LOIC. Their institution is fully in charge. There's no lack of control. Quite the opposite. The only thing out of control is their delusional image of themselves as a rightful national power and the Grooooooove as some Football Mecca.

YEp, the Big Money Boosters have been controlling their football program since the Johnny Vaught days.

Political Hack
04-29-2017, 11:13 AM
When we started recruiting well in 2011-2012-2013, they completely lost their marbles and went overboard. They're an over reactive bunch and it totally burnt them this time.

In fairness, we reacted to the Cam Newton situation and got in minor trouble. After the NCAA just let Auburn buy a National championship caliber QB out from under us, people were pissed. If the NCAA had done their jobs back then, I doubt you would've seen the ripple effect it's had on the SEC... which is about to culminate with Ole Miss paying the price for everyone, although they brought it on themselves. Not that they've accepted any level of responsibility for their actions.

MedDawg
04-29-2017, 12:02 PM
When we started recruiting well in 2011-2012-2013, they completely lost their marbles and went overboard. They're an over reactive bunch and it totally burnt them this time.

In fairness, we reacted to the Cam Newton situation and got in minor trouble. After the NCAA just let Auburn buy a National championship caliber QB out from under us, people were pissed. If the NCAA had done their jobs back then, I doubt you would've seen the ripple effect it's had on the SEC... which is about to culminate with Ole Miss paying the price for everyone, although they brought it on themselves. Not that they've accepted any level of responsibility for their actions.

Absolutely. When Slive proclaimed that no more SEC schools will go on probation and told the schools to send info of infractions to the SEC office and not the NCAA, that was obvious code for "do what you want and we'll protect you". And OM did. And the SEC isn't.

DancingRabbit
04-29-2017, 12:08 PM

Mostly agree with all this, but one correction. Hugh was never the OC under Orgeron. First year he held the asst. AD position most recently occupied by Barney. The next two years he was the TE coach and recruiting coordinator.

EngDawg
04-29-2017, 12:57 PM

So you're taking credit for the OM situation?

The Federalist Engineer
04-29-2017, 01:09 PM
Ole Miss' Network basically should be a FBI RICO style investigation with wired-up croots and bugged offices

Bet baseball is something else they cheat-in