PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR OT: Dale Jr. Retiring at end of 2017 Season

TheRef
04-25-2017, 08:35 AM
It's official. After the health scare last year, it seems that Dale Jr. is going to hang up the helmet after this season. An era is going to be ending. Question is, who will take his place?

Drugdog
04-25-2017, 08:41 AM
It's official. After the health scare last year, it seems that Dale Jr. is going to hang up the helmet after this season. An era is going to be ending. Question is, who will take his place?

Pick any of the nuts that drive on I 55 , put a helmet on them, and tell them to turn left.

Tbonewannabe
04-25-2017, 08:42 AM
He was good but it wasn't like he is Jeff Gordon or Jimmy Johnson. I really don't keep up with Nascar that much but he didn't win very much, just every now and then. If he didn't have the name then he wouldn't be as popular.

DownwardDawg
04-25-2017, 08:46 AM
He was good but it wasn't like he is Jeff Gordon or Jimmy Johnson. I really don't keep up with Nascar that much but he didn't win very much, just every now and then. If he didn't have the name then he wouldn't be as popular.
I agree. He has been great for the sport due to who he is. Very average driver.

SailingDawg
04-25-2017, 09:19 AM
I was a big NASCAR fan in the 80s and 90s. Dale, Jr was very good at the lower levels of racing but never really was consistent at the Sprint Cup level. Possible that his father's death affected him. The sport isn't as exciting as it once was.

GTHOM
04-25-2017, 09:51 AM
Never lived up to his deddy's legacy (dip spit)

mparkerfd20
04-25-2017, 09:55 AM
One of the most overhyped NASCAR drivers of all times... I was a huge, huge fan of his dad's and even a fan of his, but the truth is he never lived up to the hype.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-25-2017, 10:04 AM
Pick any of the nuts that drive on I 55 , put a helmet on them, and tell them to turn left.

Or drivers from Texas on I-20.

sleepy dawg
04-25-2017, 10:19 AM
I was a huge Earnhardt fan. After he died, I wasn't sure I would even continue watching nascar. I did, and still do, and Jr. has been my favorite driver all this time. Although I never enjoyed watching as much as I did when Earnhardt was racing, Jr. was/is a great guy to be a fan of. I'm not sure what living up to the hype means, as only becoming the best driver ever would've been better than what his dad did. Jr never won any championships, but he had several wins and was in contention for the championship on multiple occasions. He was definitely more than an average driver, but probably not great either. He has had a good career. He has 26 wins, 149 top 5s, and is arguably the best restrictor plate racer of all time. At the least, he drastically changed how others have to race at Talledega and Daytona due to his knowledge and understanding of the draft.

tireddawg
04-25-2017, 10:19 AM
It could have something to do with his father's death, he's too cautious & doesn't take the necessary risk that the great drivers take. As far as pure natural driving ability, he's got that, just drives too scared.

Tbonewannabe
04-25-2017, 10:21 AM
Or drivers from Texas on I-20.

Atlanta right now is more off road right now but it would definitely be a good training ground for Nascar.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-25-2017, 10:24 AM
Hendrick Motorsports and Jimmie Johnson drove me away from NASCAR.

Tbonewannabe
04-25-2017, 10:24 AM
It could have something to do with his father's death, he's too cautious & doesn't take the necessary risk that the great drivers take. As far as pure natural driving ability, he's got that, just drives too scared.

Can't blame him after the way his dad died and then his concussion problems. It is actually pretty ballsy to get in a car from that experience. He could have just went into the business side of things and no one would have blamed him.

Pollodawg
04-25-2017, 10:25 AM
"Got wrasslin' on the VCR at home, a fresh can of skoal, and a big ass Mountain Dew. Headed to the race track!!!!" I hate NASCAR. I have no clue why anyone would want to watch that for like four hours. Its just people going around and around in circles. Really. That's it.

Tbonewannabe
04-25-2017, 10:29 AM
"Got wrasslin' on the VCR at home, a fresh can of skoal, and a big ass Mountain Dew. Headed to the race track!!!!" I hate NASCAR. I have no clue why anyone would want to watch that for like four hours. Its just people going around and around in circles. Really. That's it.

I personally have never watched an entire race but to each his own.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-25-2017, 10:33 AM

Ha wow...generalize much?

There's nothing better than putting on NASCAR or Golf on a Sunday afternoon and taking a nap.

Tbonewannabe
04-25-2017, 10:38 AM

There's nothing better than putting on NASCAR or Golf on a Sunday afternoon and taking a nap.

My uncle used to get Talladega tickets every year. My dad said he would go but he didn't like watching the race, just all the topless women.

Pollodawg
04-25-2017, 11:00 AM

That was a generalization, true enough. I've just noticed that there are two camps on NASCAR: love it or hate it.

ScoobaDawg
04-25-2017, 11:12 AM

you just proved how horrible it is.. It puts you to sleep..

TimberBeast
04-25-2017, 11:20 AM
That was a generalization, true enough. I've just noticed that there are two camps on NASCAR: love it or hate it.

Reminds me of soccer. How anyone could possibly watch soccer outside of their kid's games is crazy to me.

sleepy dawg
04-25-2017, 11:21 AM
you just proved how horrible it is.. It puts you to sleep..

While it is true, I have taken many naps while watching nascar, the same can be said about golf or bob ross. I like both of those too.

As is with every thread on here that could be honoring someone who either died or is at the end of their career, this has turned into more of an assault on the person or the sport/career. Why y'all have to tear everyone and everything down is beyond me.

WSOPdawg
04-25-2017, 11:33 AM
I agree. He has been great for the sport due to who he is. Very average driver.

Agree, he's kinda like the 2000-2017 UT Vols of Nascar. His daddy was the 1970-2000 version of the Vols (if not more of a USC or Notre Dame or Bama).

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
04-25-2017, 11:38 AM
don't know anything about racing or Dale Jr.'s production on the track but I bet he sold a shitton of Budweiser

Goldendawg
04-25-2017, 04:57 PM
I quit watching years ago. Seems like they have lots of issues. I glanced at it a couple of races this year and it looks likes most tracks have more seats covered with tarps than seats with fans in them.

Cooterpoot
04-26-2017, 08:53 AM
Nascar sucks. The screwy rules, the stupid "chase", and safety has killed it. They don't want people slamming each other into the wall anymore. Hell, they can't pass on the grass either. It's just like the NFL- Pussified.

TimberBeast
04-26-2017, 09:19 AM
Nascar sucks. The screwy rules, the stupid "chase", and safety has killed it. They don't want people slamming each other into the wall anymore. Hell, they can't pass on the grass either. It's just like the NFL- Pussified.

Pussified NFL is right. Roger Goodell has the NFL on the way down the drain, I would bet NASCAR (and I have never been a fan and never will) has the same problem.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
04-26-2017, 05:49 PM
Why is this on the sports board? It should be on the board formerly known as "Redneck Rampage."