PDA

View Full Version : Just a question, not a complaint

Lumpy Chucklelips
04-24-2017, 03:26 PM
I'm not trying to get the coach fired here....matter of fact, I don't even know who the coach is. But my question is, why is our men's golf team so bad?

And again, I don't even keep up with them....they may have won the SEC last year, I don't know. But I would think with the PGA program we have, the use of Old Waverly, and I remember reading about a new facility being built last year or two for them to practice indoors ....you would think we'd have a pretty good program. And again, we may and just had a bad year this year, I don't know.

But I was watching SEC network talking about the just completed SEC tourney and saw where we finished dead last. So, that led to my question.

http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=12754

Mjoelner34
04-24-2017, 03:41 PM
C'mon man! We were ONLY 48 shots off the lead**

thf24
04-24-2017, 03:52 PM
I don't know for sure but it seems to me that PGM and playing on the golf team would be mutually exclusive due to the time commitments involved. If that's true, the PGM program would actually hurt us competitively rather than help us since the majority of collegiate-level golfers coming through any given year would most likely be here for PGM.

Spiderman
04-24-2017, 04:12 PM
I'm not trying to get the coach fired here....matter of fact, I don't even know who the coach is. But my question is, why is our men's golf team so bad?

And again, I don't even keep up with them....they may have won the SEC last year, I don't know. But I would think with the PGA program we have, the use of Old Waverly, and I remember reading about a new facility being built last year or two for them to practice indoors ....you would think we'd have a pretty good program. And again, we may and just had a bad year this year, I don't know.

But I was watching SEC network talking about the just completed SEC tourney and saw where we finished dead last. So, that led to my question.

Because our coach is a hell of a lot better player than he is a recruiter. If there is one sport than is 99% dependent on recruiting, it's golf.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
04-24-2017, 07:13 PM
There might be 2 or 3 PGM majors that could make our golf team. If a kid is good enough to play collegiate golf, even if it's DII, they're going to go play DII golf before they're going to come to State for PGM. We did have 1 player on our team 25 years ago that was a PGM major. Can't recall his name but he was a hustler on the course. Remember him always playing with a roll of green LifeSavers in his pocket. Funny how the ball always stood up for him.

Dawg61
04-24-2017, 07:20 PM
Gotta sign future pros if you wanna beat future pros and the SEC is littered with future pros. I am guessing we don't have much of a recruiting budget for golf and there is maybe 1 player a year good enough to play SEC golf that comes outta MS. Maybe 1. The weather is too hot, the sport isn't popular enough in the smallest state in the SEC and the courses aren't good enough to produce consistent high school talent so the coach is forced to recruit outta state and outta country to get equal talent.

Reunion Dog
04-24-2017, 07:27 PM
agreed! our coach would rather play in the State Am and try to win it than recruit... His personality is nada..... have met him several times..... a couple of good kids from Madison area are on the team and they take all their lessons from a great guy named Dave Cowger... he was the pro at CCJ and Annandale... has his own studio in Ridgeland... big Gold Ping fitter... put his has put several players... both girls and boys in scholorships across the SouthEast....

He gives a shit because its is business and reputation.... our coach could care less about their growth..and play his own tournaments and keep that state retirement building...

Chuck Finley
04-25-2017, 06:03 PM
Homan retired today. hmmmm.

Lumpy Chucklelips
04-25-2017, 06:11 PM
Homan retired today. hmmmm.

Yeah, I made a call to the intense b and asked him since nobody seemed to know. He was unaware that we finished last. Told me to hold on a minute, but after about 10 minutes I had to go. Now you're telling me this. Wow*.

CadaverDawg
04-25-2017, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I made a call to the intense b and asked him since nobody seemed to know. He was unaware that we finished last. Told me to hold on a minute, but after about 10 minutes I had to go. Now you're telling me this. Wow*.

Yes, well played. Rep given

RocketDawg
04-25-2017, 06:29 PM
Gotta sign future pros if you wanna beat future pros and the SEC is littered with future pros. I am guessing we don't have much of a recruiting budget for golf and there is maybe 1 player a year good enough to play SEC golf that comes outta MS. Maybe 1. The weather is too hot, the sport isn't popular enough in the smallest state in the SEC and the courses aren't good enough to produce consistent high school talent so the coach is forced to recruit outta state and outta country to get equal talent.

Georgia Tech has several PGA tour members. How do they do it? So do several other schools.

Bully13
04-25-2017, 06:50 PM
Didn't I once read once where there were just a handful of colleges that offered the complete golf education? Things may have changed. We were one of them. Looks like someone's slacking.

IMissJack
04-25-2017, 06:54 PM
Georgia Tech has several PGA tour members. How do they do it? So do several other schools.

Is this a serious question? I didn't see any ***. The amount of Quality golf courses around Atlanta, and the history of GA Tech (Bobby Jones), who started the Masters may have something to do with it. MSU is at a severe disadvantage when it comes to sports like golf, volleyball, soccer, etc. which are just not prevalent at many small high schools in MS.

Dawg61
04-25-2017, 07:26 PM

The state of Georgia is much larger population wise, has much better courses on average, has much better year round weather for golf and Georgia Tech has a lengthy successful golf program. You try playing 4-6 hours a day of golf in Mississippi during the summer and tell me why we fail to pull in the same players that the top programs do. Then consider we have probably almost zero money for recruiting. If we are going to be good at golf we are going to have to recruit almost strictly out of country golfers. That requires more money for recruiting. Maybe Vic can send us a couple while he is recruiting Australia.

TimberBeast
04-25-2017, 09:43 PM
Man was looking for this thread, didn't think it would be so close to the top. Nice call Lumpy and thank goodness. Our men's team couldn't be much worse than it is now. This could be a big hire for Cohen.

Bulldogg31
04-25-2017, 09:55 PM
If I remember right you only need to be about an 8 handicap to be a PGM major. I think you had to go break 80 a few times a semester. No biggie.

PGM has nothing to to with SEC or NCAA golf.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
04-25-2017, 10:18 PM
Mississippi weather is not what's holding us back in recruiting. It's just as hot in Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville and Gainesville in August as it is in Mississippi.

louisvilledawg
04-26-2017, 08:09 AM

Meh. I disagree with the lack of talent and how it's too hot reasons. Do agree with recruiting budget and somewhat with the courses.

We have at least 4 this year that are D1 talent. Wilson Furr and Charlie Miller are two off the top of my head. I think there's one more from Prep that is going to ole miss and another from south MS that is D1 bound somewhere.

Wilson Furr is going to Alabama.

bdawg02
04-26-2017, 08:13 AM
I assume Sean Covich will get a hard look.

http://www.wvusports.com/staffDirectory.cfm?func=view&staffID=2385&sport=mgolf

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-26-2017, 08:22 AM

Careful you might get attacked by the Board police if your not positive about every subject...

Tbonewannabe
04-26-2017, 08:39 AM
Is this a serious question? I didn't see any ***. The amount of Quality golf courses around Atlanta, and the history of GA Tech (Bobby Jones), who started the Masters may have something to do with it. MSU is at a severe disadvantage when it comes to sports like golf, volleyball, soccer, etc. which are just not prevalent at many small high schools in MS.

Tishomingo County only has 1 course in it and the course isn't good. Belmont actually played on the course in Red Bay, Alabama which isn't that good either. You have to drive to Tupelo to play on something better than a goat farm.

BB30
04-26-2017, 08:40 AM
I don't follow our golf team either. That being said, I would assume our women's team would be at the same disadvantage and yet they usually compete pretty good don't they? Or did we just have one good year?

As for Ga Tech, they have so many kids to pull from. If I had to guess there are probably more highschool kids in the Atlanta metro area than our entire state just about. Kind of off topic but that is why I don't understand how UGA continuously underachieves in every sport. They should be competitive in every major men's sport year in and year out and yet they suck. How their baseball program isn't going to the CWS every other year blows my mind with the amount of baseball talent in the area.

Tbonewannabe
04-26-2017, 08:44 AM
I don't follow our golf team either. That being said, I would assume our women's team would be at the same disadvantage and yet they usually compete pretty good don't they? Or did we just have one good year?

As for Ga Tech, they have so many kids to pull from. If I had to guess there are probably more highschool kids in the Atlanta metro area than our entire state just about. Kind of off topic but that is why I don't understand how UGA continuously underachieves in every sport. They should be competitive in every major men's sport year in and year out and yet they suck. How their baseball program isn't going to the CWS every other year blows my mind with the amount of baseball talent in the area.

Seems like UGA just didn't care at all prior to Polk going there. I think when Polk started they only had like 75 season ticket holders. It was basically on par with USM including the facilities. How they won a National Title in 1990 is amazing with the amount of effort they put into it.

Brahmabull
04-26-2017, 08:52 AM
Davis Riley from Hattiesburg also plays at Bama. There are actually a good number of really good junior golfers in this state, and have been the past few years. Thornberry at OM is really good. Kid from Tupelo who went to Mizzouri is really good. Homan was just lazy on recruiting front.

TimberBeast
04-26-2017, 09:30 AM
Davis Riley from Hattiesburg also plays at Bama. There are actually a good number of really good junior golfers in this state, and have been the past few years. Thornberry at OM is really good. Kid from Tupelo who went to Mizzouri is really good. Homan was just lazy on recruiting front.

Yep we have the kids to compete, they just aren't at State for the most part. I don't know if he is there yet or not but there was a good player from Meridian committed to GT a couple years ago. Should be a freshman or sophomore there now. From what I can tell State doesn't even have decent golf camps this summer for juniors, boys or girls. Also the Mississippi Junior Golf Association is not very good. I think we might have one tournament on the coast, but have a lot of players. Unless you want to go to Jackson or anywhere north of I20 during the middle of the week all summer long, good luck playing in the MS junior tournaments. It's not set up right now for every kid in MS to compete.

Brahmabull
04-26-2017, 10:36 AM
For top level junior golfers, the MS Junior Golf Association is irrelevant. Top level players are playing regional and national tournaments. Unfortunately, junior golf in general is not set up for every kid to compete from a tournament perspective. What's more important IMO is having very good junior golf programs with instructors that really know what they are doing throughout the state. Again, unfortunately, it's hard to have really good junior golf instructors at courses throughout the state when the majority of golf courses are struggling just to stay open.

TimberBeast
04-26-2017, 10:49 AM
For top level junior golfers, the MS Junior Golf Association is irrelevant. Top level players are playing regional and national tournaments. Unfortunately, junior golf in general is not set up for every kid to compete from a tournament perspective. What's more important IMO is having very good junior golf programs with instructors that really know what they are doing throughout the state. Again, unfortunately, it's hard to have really good junior golf instructors at courses throughout the state when the majority of golf courses are struggling just to stay open.

MJGA is irrelevant once the top level players are at the top level. But to get there they need to be able to play in local MS junior tournaments, and MJGA events are simply barely accessible unless you live in Jackson or north of Jackson. The MJGA is irrelevant because it's set up has made it irrelevant and there is no good competition there. Why? Because only half the state can participate.

Brahmabull
04-26-2017, 10:58 AM
I understand what you are saying, but MS golf tournaments in general don't get the same fields they did 20 years ago once you get away from Jackson. Just look at the field for this weekend's state 4 ball.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-26-2017, 11:16 AM
It's funny how people are talking about how lazy the coach was in recruiting. A co-workers son plays at Caledonia and has gotten calls from Bama, Ole Miss, and Auburn and . State, won't even give him call, much less drive 45 minutes to watch him play.

Spiderman
04-26-2017, 04:41 PM
Be surprised if Cohen doesn't go after Sean Covich at West Va. Meridian native , State grad, an former asst at State

TimberBeast
04-27-2017, 12:23 AM
I understand what you are saying, but MS golf tournaments in general don't get the same fields they did 20 years ago once you get away from Jackson. Just look at the field for this weekend's state 4 ball.

If you're talking about the adult tournament at Hattiesburg that's not the same thing. I'm talking junior golf. They would get the numbers on the coast but they aren't even trying from what I've seen. That leads kids to have to travel to Louisiana, Alabama, and Georgia to play tournaments.

The Federalist Engineer
04-27-2017, 02:30 AM
Oklahoma State University has 10 golf National Championships - Not a typo - I said 10

They are based out of Stillwater, Ok where the biggest draw is a Burger restaurant (Eskimo Joes) The weather is nasty hot or nasty cold. The school colors are the worst in the NCAA. The school is basically A&M with token liberal arts departments

On this basis of comparison , we are horrible underachievers